Jan

Fan Confidence Poll: January 21st, 2013

2012 Record: 95-67 (804 RS, 668 RA, 96-66 pythag. record), won AL East, swept in ALCS

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. MannyGeee says:

+1 for Minimal Cartilage Damage!

Baseline 7, although I saw some pics of Joel Hanrahan’s walk through Fenway looking shockingly like both “failed Red Sox closer Eric Gagne” and “failed Red Sox starter Josh Beckett”, so that made me feel pretty good about life as a Yankee fan…

Sure its from a few weeks ago and hat tip to NoMaas, but worth floating here to brighten spirits on a Monday.

2. Jersey Joe says:

Was at a 5 last week. Thomas Neal signing is very intriguing to me. Marlins seem to be going with Pierre in CF; I wonder if Justin Ruggiano would be available at some point next season if he regresses. Even with a down year, Ruggiano could be a cheap, helpful piece for 2014.

I really like Cervelli, and I prefer Romaine/Cervelli to be the catching combo to start the season. But the fact that Cervelli is in WBC means Stewart is on MLB roster, and maybe Romine will get a shot in ST. Which is good.

I really liked the idea of Morse at the beginning, but in retrospect, giving up prospects for a DH/1B, which we have enough of, is not very appealing.

I wish Teixeira would go to ST after last year; I hope he rediscovers himself in WBC.

3. Stevis says:

how can you feel good with the “catching tandem”…what a joke.

• jjyank says:

*shrug*

I feel good. There are 23 other players outside of the catchers.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I’m surprised they don’t have a.viable catcher. I thought they’ll get someone good or at least solid but no they’re going to go with what they have smh.

• Hawk says:

It seems to me many are thinking the Yanks are going to loose a lot of offensive production behind the plate. Yes there will not be as many HR, but Martin drove in very few runs when not hitting HRs. He averaged about 1 rbi every 21 or so ABs when not homering. That is a lot of non productive outs. Also according to Fan Graphs his defense was not all that great, although those opinions are always up for debate. This is not “Posada” offense that is being replaced.

• Ted Nelson says:

They’ve overcome plenty of weak spots over the last two decades.

4. trr says:

tough to feel good given the overall direction laid out by ownership

• Ted Nelson says:

The direction of trying to field a championship contender? Hal said that they are aiming for this budget provided that they field a championship-contender.

5. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

What about the fake-to-second-fake-to-left-center-backflip-360-gainer pick off move? Are they gonna outlaw that one too?

Dead horse is dead.

6. Sam says:

Remaining at 4 til they get a convincing RH bat, either 4th OF or DH. Might not be until the trade deadline. Pitching is potentially good, but not that good. They do have to make up for the lost runs, preferably with someone that shows up in the postseason (if they get there).

It was reported last week K Long was working with Youkilis on his stance. Still not swayed though.

• Ted Nelson says:

A 4th OF is going to take you from a 4 to what?

What is your scale that you have less than 50% confidence in the Yankees?

7. Harris (1744 Days till Arod's Contract Expires) says:

I voted an 8 because this team is finally starting to deviate from their reckless spending, and they were ranked 11th in BA’s prospect rankings despite a down year from many of their top prospects. Long term, the hope is that they will spend big yet wisely at the same time as they build a good farm system. If they can do this, there is no reason why they won’t compete for the World Series every year.

My main concern right now is how they are handling the Granderson/Cano situation. The Yankees need to get rid of their team policy of not signing players to extensions. Letting Cano hit the FA market before talking extension with him is going to cost the team millions of dollars and could create a situation where in 8 years or so, we have an A-Rod situation of dead weight taking up a large chunk of our payroll.

• Alkaline says:

Unfortunately, at this point, I don’t think Cano would accept a contract extension per Boras.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

And if he did, it probably wouldn’t be at a discount. I’m not sure they’ll be able to reach an agreement with him when he becomes a FA. I’m just hoping they find a good fill in at a reasonable cost if he does leave. Hopefully Adams or Joseph continue to develop and can at least be adequate till they re-tool. I’m not as concerned if they let Granderson walk.

• MannyGeee says:

Truth. we are about 30 months removed from a time where Cano would take an extension. The Boras effect.

8. dalelama says:

Last year my 6 proved to be prophetic and since last year’s very disappointing apple sauce choking squad has obviously gotten worse I had to go with a 5. Minus Soriano, Swisher, Martin, and Aroid plus Pukelis, I can easily see this squad missing the playoffs all together.

• Mike Axisa says:

They had the best record in the league last year. Your 6 was hardly prophetic.

• Alkaline says:

This is silly of me, but random question for you. Do you ever take a look at the blog list Mike was kind enough to provide for other teams? Do you ever read what they’re concerns are like or their comments?

• jjyank says:

Don’t waste your time. I’m mildly surprised dalelama is literate enough to comment here. I don’t think branching out is his thing.

• dalelama says:

Why would that be relevant? The Yanks are the only team I root for.

• Alkaline says:

It would be relevant as to gain perspective on how the Yanks compare to the rest of the league so you don’t make asinine comments like, “I can easily see this squad missing the playoffs all together.” To be knowledgeable about something, you need to take a look at the whole.

Perhaps they do miss the playoffs, but it won’t be…”easily.”

• Get Phelps Up says:

Wouldn’t losing ARod be a good thing in your world?

• dalelama says:

No, Arod is fine during the regular season as was Swisher. It is the post season during which time they both uderperform.

• Get Phelps Up says:

You complain about ARod plenty during the regular season too.
          You’re just bummed that he’s going to be out until July and you’ll have to find someone else to complain about.

9. LitFig says:

I vote 9, and will continue to vote a 9 until something drastically bad happens.

I’m of the opinion that while the Yanks will be missing some of their power, they may end up being a more diverse offense. Some of the games they won with HR last year, they may lose this year. But some of the games they lost due to RISPFail/Strikeouts/not moving the runner over and getting him in, they might win this season.

You’ll still get 100+ HR from Cano, Grandy and Teix (assuming health).
    We won’t get the HR out of catcher, but I think they’ll make contact and hit in RISP situations.
    Gardner and Ichiro might not hit 20 HR between them, but they’ll steal bases, cover ground in OF, take the extra base and put pressure on the opposing team.
    Youk will be fine.
    DH should be used as a weigh station vs. LHP. Sign an old DH slugger type (Giambino?(just for shits and giggles)) for RHP.

With the deep rotation and lockdown bullpen keeping us in games, I still see this as a 90+ win team.

Toronto will be better, but things have to really break right for them to be division contenders.

Baltimore will be good, but they can’t possibly be that good in 1 run games again.

Boston will be pesky, but not a strong team.

Tampa loses Shields, but has good depth. Their offense is substandard and still relies on Longoria playing 150+ games.

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

Baseline 7.

*snore*

11. BK2ATL says:

Still a 6. Yeah we made it to the final 4, but last season’s over and point blank, we haven’t improved our team, while just getting older. What’s being done by ownership can’t inspire “confidence.” I think we’ll compete, but not seriously contend this year nor next, and I feel like ownership is okay with that, while the fans are not.

Key pieces (Swisher, Martin, Soriano) lost this offseason, not very confident that Ichiro and Youklis come close to making up for that.

Key pieces (Mariano, Pettitte, Jeter, A-Rod, Pineda, Romine, Gardner and to some degree CC coming back from injury, but who knows how effective or durable they will be when they return.

The only current offensive constants are Cano and Granderson, both of whom possibly will not be around in 2014, with nothing imminently pending in the farm to take their spots and make up for that productivity and durability.

While this is all disconcerting, what makes it worse is that we don’t even have enough in our farm to get someone substantial (Upton or possibly Stanton) who can assist us this year and to potentially absorb the blow when Granderson and Cano leave for greener (pun intended) pastures. While we can be hopeful that Sanchez, Montgomery, Marshall, Heathcott, Williams, Austin, and Depaula, all take steps forward, we also have to wonder whether Banuelos, Campos, Betances etc. bounce back as well.

12. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I just want you all to know that I’m “that guy” who votes 10 every week.

Fuck predictions. OPTIMISM.

13. Brian in MA says:

I’ve had no reason to go above a six since the end of last season. Nothing big, no additions, nothing exciting