Jan

Heyman: Pettitte will participate in WBC

Via Jon Heyman: Andy Pettitte will be part of the Team USA pitching staff during the World Baseball Classic in March. He’ll be joined by R.A. Dickey and Ryan Vogelsong in the rotation.

I’m surprised the Yankees gave Pettitte the okay to participate in the tournament, but I suppose they have more than enough trust in him to do what’s necessary to prepare for the season. Then again, I don’t even know if they had to consent. Andy probably wanted to pitch for Team USA in what figures to be his final season. It’ll be fun to see him pitching in the WBC, but I will be a bit nervous until he makes it through the thing in one piece.

Categories : Asides

1. Matt says:

Is Pettitte nuts. He can’t make it through a 200 inning season for years and now he’s pitching in the WBC.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Agree 100 % I almost think it’d be better to let Pettitte start around June to try and keep him heathy for October.

2. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Questionable judgment, no?

3. mike_h says:

maybe he wanted to pitch for Team USA cause Joe Torre is managing the team

4. Greg says:

Maybe Roger asked him.

5. JonS says:

So will this cause problems since they denied Cano?

6. Slu says:

Good for him. I am looking forward to watching Andy pitch meaningful innings. He didn’t get a ton of innings last year and the injury was just bad luck. This doesn’t mean he can’t still throw 200 innings next year. I think this can help him for next season.

7. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I’m very worried that he will get hurt.

8. DR says:

MLB.com’s article cites that Teixeira will also likely be on team USA.

9. TopChuckie says:

I don’t like to see Pettitte participating for selfish Yankee fan reasons, but it might be a good thing for Tex to participate because maybe it will shorten his typical slow start, even though I would think that’s all mental. Maybe he can practice bunting to the left side while he’s at it.

10. Jersey Joe says:

Hm. Kinda off topic but Austin Kearns is close to signing with Marlins. If last season is any indication, (.366 OBP), he seems like a solid 4th OF candidate to compete with Diaz. If I were Ca$hman, I’d swoop in and try to sign him to MiLB deal.

11. stu phillips says:

Cano must be pissed.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

why would he be pissed?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Just roll with it.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I don’t think it’s so far fetched to think this could annoy Cano.

A 40 year old pitcher is far, far more likely to get hurt than a 31 year old 2nd baseman so I’m not sure how you can justify allowing Pettitte and Teixiera to play but not Cano.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What you’re saying makes logical sense. I still always find it pretty far-fetched when anyone tries to play “I know what x player/manager/batboy is feeling” on here.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Sure it’s total speculation as to how Cano feels but if you were Cano and you just read the Yanks are letting Pettitte play in addition to Teixiera but not you, how would you feel? How do you think most people would feel?

Personally, I’d be annoyed and would want an explanation.

12. Robinson Tilapia says:

Not the choice I’d make if I was team ownership with a starter over 40 with still a small number of post-retirement starts.

13. Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

I think after 250 wins, 20 postseason wins, 5 rings, a future that guarantees a retired number, and probably a place in Cooperstown, I think Pettitte can do whatever the fuck he wants.

• G says:

I normally go in the “Pettitte is a great Yankee, not a HOFer” group, but upon doing just some basic research I think he should get in. If he can put up just a 1.4 fWAR this season he’ll have a career 70 fWAR, which is at very least right on the border between being a sure-thing and a no. Add the post-season achievements into that and he should be getting on towards his later years on the ballot, or at very least getting close. If he drops off the ballot the way Bernie did, I’ll be nothing short of appalled.

• Hans Moleman says:

You forgot a career 3.86 ERA and admitted PED use.

Not trying to troll, but I’m sure that is the only thing a majority of the voters will see. Judging by the most recent vote, I doubt he makes it to the second ballot.

Maybe 6+ years from now things will be different.

• Now Batting says:

If the writers’ attitudes don’t change there is no way Pettitte ever gets in.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I can agree with that. I also, as owner, would approach him with strong concern. Of course,

1) We have no clue if they actually did do that or not.
      2) Other than a 2011 Honda Fit, I’m not quite sure what else I am “owner” of.

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

I would assume ownership talked to him about it but I bet they trust Pettitte enough to make the right choice, so I’m fine with him pitching in the WBC.

I got you beat there. I’m the proud owner of $40,000 in student loans. Step up, son.

14. grouchonyy says:

There is a strict pitch limit. He will throw no more pitches than if he was in regular spring training games.

15. JobaWockeeZ says:

You have nothing to worry about for hitters but for pitchers it’s a problem.

16. RetroRob says:

Pettitte may have basically told the Yankees when he was considering the 2013 season that he was going to pitch in the WBC. That might have been his condition to sign.

17. PBFog says:

How about he’s a professional ball player and we’re not. Let the man do what he wants. Instead everyone gets in a frenzy because someone is going to play a game. Let’s back up our arguments with lots of stats. How about instead we just enjoy the game? I should go back to not reading the comments section. Good lord. You all know that commercial that goes, “you wouldn’t want your doctor doing your job, so why do his?” – take a dose of that people.

18. dkidd says:

normally i wear protection when having sex, but i just thought “hey, when am i going to be in haiti again?”

bad idea jeans

19. chuck says:

i do shit like this when im sick of the mrs

20. [...] YES Network.com « Heyman: Pettitte will participate in WBC Jan [...]

21. Great, so when he’s trying to get some dude out from Italy and strains his hammy covering first it will def be worth it!

‘Merica!

22. [...] Mark Teixeira will suit up for Team USA during the World Baseball Classic in March. He’ll be joined on the team by Andy Pettitte. Robinson Cano (Dominican Republic) and Frankie Cervelli (Italy) are also [...]

23. [...] will participate in the World Baseball Classic in a few weeks: Mark Teixeira (USA), Andy Pettitte (USA), Robinson Cano (Dominican Republic), and Frankie Cervelli (Italy). Since Hiroki Kuroda and Ichiro [...]

24. [...] here), with Mark Teixeira being the only Yankee to make the squad. Andy Pettitte was reportedly going to participate in the event, but he is not on the final roster. Bob Klapisch explains that Pettitte’s [...]