Jan

Heyman: Yankees discussed Delmon Young

Via Jon Heyman: The Yankees internally discussed Delmon Young but decided to pass because, well, he stinks. A few weeks ago we heard they weren’t interested, which apparently happened after they talked about him.

Young, 27, recently signed a one-year, $750k contract with the Phillies that includes another $600k in bonuses tied to being slightly less fat. Outside of his Yankees-killing postseason performances — which are not a valid reason to sign him anyway — he’s hit just .267/.299/.403 (89 wRC+) with terrible defense, no speed, and anti-Semitism over the last two seasons. You could do a whole lot worse for $750k, but this isn’t one worth getting worked up over.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. dasani says:

They finally got something right

2. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

You know you suck when anti-semitism is your least detestable trait.

3. Frank says:

“TrueYankee Killers” hurt you when they’re playing AGAINST and FOR the Yankees. Delmon – what could have been.

4. art vandelay says:

over a half a million dollars to just lose weight, unreal.

5. Gonzo says:

Ruin Tomorrow Jr. strikes again!

6. Bob Buttons says:

“The Yankees internally discussed Delmon Young”

Executive A: Hey I just saw a video of this guy throwing a bat at the ump
    Executive B: Yeah I think I saw that before.. Delmon Young, was it?
    Executive C: Yeah I just looked it up and it’s him
    Executive A: That’s the same Delmon Young who’s out of a job right now isn’t it?
    Executive C: Yeah says here that he’s a free agent.
    Executive B: Let’s keep it that way.
    Executive A: Okay
    Executive C: No objections here

7. jesse says:

No way would I have signed him for a guaranteed MLB contract, even if it’s just for $750K+. Glad the Yankees passed here.

8. art vandelay says:

can’t believe someone gave him a guaranteed deal, thats like giving pavano one !

speaking of, did you guys see Pavano hurt himself shoveling snow? Classic.

(trying to stay on topic.)

• Bob Buttons says:

Surprised that he never injured himself while brushing his teeth.

• Bob Buttons says:

Surprised that he never injured himself while brushing his teeth.

• Bob Buttons says:

Oops, finger slipped and pressed submit twice. Guess that’s what happens.

But yeah. Still surprised that he didn’t injure himself while brushing his teeth a few minutes later.

• cheddar says:

I can’t imagine how someone could rupture his spleen in a fall while shoveling snow. I ruptured my many years ago in a nasty car accident. Raiders WR Bob Chandler ruptured his the same year from a massive hit in a game.

He must have landed freakishly on something.

9. the Other Steve S. says:

Isn’t his brother Dmitri Yound? Wasn’t he a real dick too until they diagnosed him with some kind of medical disorder and treatment changed his personality? Seems like that’s a story I remember. Delmon, get to the doctor, dude.

10. Greg says:

and remember, wasn’t he the #1 pick in the draft? almost as ugly as Matt Bush.

11. RetroRob says:

I’m sure the discussion lasted all of 10 seconds.

12. WhittakerWalt says:

I actually had a nightmare last night that we got Delmon Young. I’m not even joking. Even in my dreams I couldn’t talk myself into it.

And yes, I have dreams about potential baseball signings. The offseason is pretty dull.

• cheddar says:

One of the best dreams I’ve ever had was a few years ago around Christmas. Matt Holliday was a free agent, and I dreamed the Yanks signed him and were having the big press conference. All of a sudden, Andy Williams comes up to the dais in a tux and starts singing, mic in hand, “Matty Hollidays” (to the tune of “Happy Holidays”). Levine comes running over with a couple of security guards and they carry him away, but he keeps singing “tooooo yooooouuuu!!!”

13. SevenAces says:

Know whats the sad thing? That his name WAS EVEN THOUGHT OF IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!