Jan

It’s official: The fake-to-third, throw-to-first move is now a balk

Via Tyler Kepner: The fake-to-third, throw-to-first move is now officially a balk. That was one of three rule changes — along with coaches being allowed to bring an interpreter to the mound and teams being allowed to have a seventh coach in uniform in the dugout — approved by the owners earlier this month that had to be run by the players’ union. I’m guessing the other two rule changes were given the okay as well, but I haven’t seen any confirmation of that. Minor stuff, but at least the rules will be implemented correctly. The fake-to-third, throw-to-first move was always a balk because it was attempting to deceive, it was just never enforced by umpires.

Categories : Asides, News

1. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Thank goodness. That move always pissed me off.

2. deanland says:

Jeff Nelson no longer will have a move named in his honor.

• Slu says:

That always bothered me a bit. I am pretty confident I saw that move well before Jeff Nelson was on the Yankees, but I am not sure. That was a long time and many beers ago.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I read “dalelama” for a second and thought “holy shit! something different to say!”

It will ALWAYS be the Jeff Nelson move. It will just now be the outlawed Jeff Nelson move.

• vicki says:

IT RESULTED IN AN OUT.

hardly ever does.

3. Jeff Nelson says:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn you all to hell, damn you!

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

Kind of trite, ain’t it?

5. LK says:

I feel like a balk is something where no matter how many thousands of baseball games I watch, I still don’t know exactly what it is.

6. J2L says:

One less CS for Cano!

7. Nash says:

Not sure if I’m happier at the fact that I don’t have to hear Michael Kay call it the Jeff Nelson move anymore or the fact that I don’t have to see Robbie Cano get fooled by the move anymore, that was getting old

8. jesse says:

I was sick of Michael Kay saying “(Pitcher X) with the ol’ Jeff Nelson move” every friggin’ time someone did it.

9. GS says:

Good news for the Yanks…how many times has that move worked against them in recent years?

10. petebest says:

no problem seeing mlb do away with that rule but isn’t the point of picking a runner off any base to deceive the runner. that’s kind of the pitchers job

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Some moves (i.e. most RHP throwing to first) aren’t really all that deceptive, more like a quick try to catch a runner leaning or sleeping. Other moves, like Pettitte’s, could definitely be classified as deceptive.

Hell, I think Pettitte’s move is a balk every single time. I’m glad they don’t call it, but balks are kind of a nebulous thing; you never really know 100% what constitutes a balk and what doesn’t.

11. Strat says:

Michael Kay got an extension just days before this move is banned from the game? Maybe the Mayans were simply off a little bit on the date. Hang on tight boys and girls!

12. Bartolo's Colon says:

If this was always an illegal move because it was trying to deceive the baserunners, why isn’t pettitte called for a balk. He is known as having a great move, but isn’t he trying to deceive the runners by making it look like he is going to throw a pitch to the plate? i love pettitte and i love that runners don’t steal on him much, just sort of confused on when deception is ok and when it isn’t.

13. The Oberamtmann says:

Maybe umpires will also start enforcing the “must pitch within 15 seconds or it’s a ball” rule? Has that been called even one time?

14. Isn’t a pickoff by definition an attempt to deceive? You are trying to make the runner think you are throwing a pitch, but at the last second, you change, and throw to first.

either way…glad it’s out. I agree with the previous statements about being happy we don’t have to hear Kay make his same comment.