Jan

Klapisch: Boras asked Yankees if they’re consider re-signing Soriano

Via Bob Klapisch: Scott Boras asked the Yankees if they would consider re-signing Rafael Soriano to a one-year contract last month, but the request was “flatly denied.” Buster Olney says the team wants the draft pick (and associated draft pool money) more than they want Soriano, regardless of the contract size. I still think he’ll wind up with the Tigers, maybe the Nationals instead, but it sure is starting to look like Boras misread the closer market a bit. Then again, Soriano was still unsigned at this point two years ago and that worked out just fine for him.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Havok9120 says:

I love that the quote is “flatly denied.”

It’s a heavily underrated expression.

2. A.D. says:

Yeah, we’ve heard the Yanks say they wanted to keep draft picks and weren’t going to blow money on relievers before…

3. Hoss says:

Mets could use him too.

4. Jersey Joe says:

LOL

5. Mike HC says:

Maybe Boras could use some of his ARod money as an apology for giving Soriano poor advice.

6. RetroRob says:

Boras hasn’t asked the “right” person yet on the Yankees. Give it a couple weeks. I feel a 5/$75M contract coming on.

7. Defensive Indifference says:

Boras needs to call back and hope Randy Levine answers the phone this time.

8. Sparky says:

I’d love to have him back, he was really good for us. If we can get him for less than he made last year due to a poor negotiation tactic by his agent. As it stands, Rivera is coming back from injury. Chamberlain pitched well for 20 MLB innings, but he’s always a question mark. Ditto for Aardsma. If you can get an established reliever Rafael on a one year deal for $10-12 million, I’d do it in a second.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Just due to the fact that he opted out, I’d offer him no more than $10MM (and I’d negotiate hard for a lot lower than that since he has no obvious current offers). It would be nice to have him, but there are more pressing needs, and budget choices may need to be made. If it’s a choice between him and a right-handed hitting OF, I’ll take the OF.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I’d do that if the Yankees got a team option for ’14 for $6 million.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, cheap enough I’d like to have him back. Part of it is, as you said, a question of the budget and we really have no idea what the budget is or how movable it is for the right player.

On a side note, I love that Hal has made it movable for the “right player” in the past. Much better to do it that way than either having a spending spree or a hard cap.

9. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

If Boras is grovelling to the Yanks, Soriano must be giving him a MFIKY stare.

10. Andrew J. says:

2 years $24 million. Kick ass bullpen and bridge to when mo retires.

• dan gen says:

THAT MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE FOR CASH POOR CASHMAN

• Havok9120 says:

Ehhhhh. Not sure I’d do that.

Again, I’d like to have him back if he’s cheap enough, but I’m not sure I want to commit that much money (or any 2014 money) to the 33 year old reliever. Our relief pipeline has been quite good of late, both with prospects and scrap heap signings.

• TomH says:

Of course, both “prospects and scrap heap signings” can also wind up delivering just that: mere prospects–and scrap heap signings.

• Havok9120 says:

And a reliever in his 33-35 age seasons can suddenly stink. We’ve seen it with guys 1/3 his age.

Multiyear contracts for relievers are iffy to begin with. Multiyear contracts for relievers in the early-mid 30s are worse news. Multiyear contracts for relievers in their early-mid 30s when the bullpen is our strongest area of development are why so many people hate Randy Levine.

11. kenthadley says:

Boras went around Cashman the last time and made him look bad to the press…this time, Cashman is happy to make Boras look bad…particularly when Soriano signs for less and has, as so many relievers have, a down year after a good one.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Yeah, and knowing Boras, not that I know Boras, he’s probably telling teams he’s “in discussion” with the Yankees (haha) which is probably why Cash came out a few days ago and said he is not looking to add any relievers. Love the chess game.

• Ted Nelson says:

It’s definitely possible that is Cashman’s intention, but at the same time the more money another team spends on Soriano the less they’re likely to spend elsewhere.

12. RetroRob says:

BTW I highly doubt this story is true. Even if the market is soft for Soriano right now, Boras would not be basically surrendering in December. So, yeah, it’s false, at least as it’s being presented in the media.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, it was probably a “are you in the bidding?” more than “oh, please, take him back.”

The media (and the fans of various teams) are very eager to proclaim a defeat for Boras. I’m taking all the stories that have that spin with an enourmous grain of salt until he, you know, actually gets defeated.

• RetroRob says:

As part of trying to build a market for Soriano, he might have approached the Yankees on a one-year deal, knowing the Yankees won’t go beyond one year, but he also might have asked for $15-18M for that one year. The Yankees then “flatly denied” the request. Yet Boras might be willing to accept a one-year deal only from the Yankees knowing that would also keep Soriano in NY, setting him up to replace Mo as the closer in 2014, with a new multi-year contract.

Many possibilities. Until I see Soriano signing a one-year deal for set-up money, not taking this too seriously.

13. Chris V. says:

Best part about Klapisch’s tweet was that Wade Boggs replied to it.

• RetroRob says:

I never knew Boggs was on Twitter until just the other day. Now he keeps popping up. He was part of the group that just bought the Field of Dreams baseball field, so I’m guessing he might have either just joined, or has become more active on Twitter as a way to beging promoting his investment. He doesn’t have that many followers (it was only around 4,000 the other day when I checked) considering who he is. That’s what I think he joined recently.

• RetroRob says:

Just checked for the heck of it. He’s been on Twitter for at least a year-and-a-half. The first tweet I can find is his welcoming Derek to the 3,000 hit club in July ’11. He has been more active over the past ten days.

14. Steve (different one) says:

Dodgers will sign him to scuff up the baseballs for the ump

15. endlessjose says:

I would love Soriano as a back up for MO.But we see with relievers like Soriano,Rodney and K-Rod that some pitchers are not set-up man but could only close.

16. Mister D says:

Everyone knows the whole “can only close” is code for “looks better when only entering games the team leads and almost always without runners on base”, right?

17. RetroRob says:

These “stories” seem to mostly follow the same line. It’s leaked with unnamed sources, then it’s denied.

Jon Heyman?@JonHeymanCBS — not sure where this got started, but rafael soriano did not offer to return to yanks on 1 yr deal. sori wants to close.

I believe it. The story didn’t smell right to start.