Jan

Update: Yankees “pessimistic” about signing Hairston

Tuesday: The Yankees are “pessimistic” about signing Hairston according to Andrew Marchand. As is the case with pretty much every free agent they target for a part-time role, they’re concerned he will jump at the chance for more playing time elsewhere.

Monday: Via Wally Matthews: Free agent outfielder Scott Hairston will make a decision about his next team within “a matter of days.” Both the Yankees and Mets remain involved, but it’s unclear if they’re the two finalists or if other clubs are still in the mix.

“I think he’s a good fit for either team … But there are different roles at each place and Scott is deciding which is the best option for him,” said agent Casey Close. The 32-year-old Hairston is both the best right-handed hitting outfielder left on the market and demanding a multi-year contract. That could knock the Yankees out of the running, which wouldn’t be a complete travesty. Here’s my Scouting The Market post on Hairston if you need a reminder about what he brings to the table.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. RetroRob says:

Close’s comments are a bit odd. It makes it sound as if both teams have made an offer, but he doesn’t really say that. He may be trying to force one or both teams to submit better offers. Neither are throwing money around right now, so trying to set off a bidding war between the Yankees and the Mets this offseason will probably lead to frustration.

2. paul a says:

Theres no way the Yanks are going to go more than one year with this guy , I think Close is trying to pry a multi-year deal out of someone,besides if you listen to Sandy Alderson,he said the Mets are likely done adding outfielders, so the market for Hairstone as probaly waned.

• Steve (different one) says:

Think it depends on the dollars. I don’t see why the yanks couldn’t do $8M/2. They could trade him at that money if need be.

I’d be ok with Hairston, he’s a decent fit for this team.

3. Miked says:

Scarlet Johannsen looks like a young Christopher Walker. Look it up.

4. Upstate Yanks says:

1 Year 4.5 mill

5. MannyGeee says:

“That could knock the Yankees out of the running, which wouldn’t be the complete travesty.”

This, still on the heels of not signing Nate Schierholtz and AJ Pierzinski, you have ZERO RIGHT to tell us what should be a travesty…

- Bridge Jumpers

6. Yankees Universe says:

We’ve been kidnapped by the San Diego Padres.

7. Bill says:

It will be pretty sad if the Mets outbid the Yankees for Hairston.

But with Hal in charge it is probably true

8. rick says:

just pay him more for one year than the mets would pay for 2. wtf is going on with the shitty penny pinching its not 2014 yet.

• Joel Skinner says:

Im glad you are not the GM….Scott Hairston is not worth a 2 year deal nor is he worth a bloated one year deal.

• rick says:

did i say 2 year deal. No. We have more money then god u dont like to spend go be a rays fan. we pay 42m for Kei igawa who cares about a 1 year deal for a player who will actually help us.

9. Blake says:

If that means they are getting somebody better then great

10. Hoss says:

Since I’m a “glass half full” kind of guy, and because the Mets FO could fuck up a one car funeral procession, I’m optimistic about Hairston signing with the Yankees. The Mets will trade him by year 2 anyway as they rebuild.

11. Chiggie says:

Hariston is not great but he is good and by far the best FA out there. If they could sign Hariston and trade for Morse I would feel MUCH better about this team. Even though the catcher position scares me to death. Morse and Hariston give me so reason to be optimistic.

12. Havok9120 says:

My God. It’s like we’re missing out of the greatest free agent of this generation.

It’s Scott Hairston for Christ’s sake.

13. Blake says:

@Ken_Rosenthal: Complications in trade talks? Sources say #Nationals’ Morse strongly opposed to being a DH. Story: http://t.co/tQMsrIsw

• MartinRanger says:

Fortunately he doesn’t really get to make that decision.

We’ll put him in RF occasionally. And give Tex DH stints to keep him healthy.

I don’t see it being an issue. It’s pretty much only AL teams that want him.

• Herby says:

Well, Mike…we appreciate your input…but, tough shit.

14. MartinRanger says:

Hairston had the best year of his career last year.

His OBP was under .300.

That’s not suboptimal. That’s not ‘bad’. That’s downright putrid.

I want no part of him.

15. Jersey Joe says:

His OBP is only 10 points higher than Juan Rivera, and everybody is saying that signing Rivera to a 900k MLB contract would be stupid. There is no reason to overpay for a below average player.

16. CashmanNinja says:

Hairston provides nothing but a chance to hit a HR every now and then. It’s not like he’s a career power guy (like a Jim Thome) who has a little left in the tank when it comes to the long ball. Hairston was LUCKY to have reached 20 HR last season. He’ll also be lucky to make double digits this upcoming season. It’s not as if he’s a guy who has shown power throughout his career and can still occasionally run into one (or take a walk). He had a career year and it wasn’t even that great of one. Yeah, he gives the ability to play the OF, but it’s not like he’s a defensive stud or anything. He is so-so and his offense is the same. He isn’t worth the money, nor is he worth the roster spot. The only way I’d take him is 1 year at the vet minimum. And even that is stretching it a bit because he really doesn’t have the track record that someone like Raul Ibanez had.

I’d really, really like Morse (even with him not wanting to DH much), but the chances of landing him are slim, in my opinion. I still want nothing to do with Hairston even if we do miss out on Moore. He just isn’t worth it and I’d rather take the gamble at giving a prospect a shot because they’d be younger, faster, cost controlled, and at the very least it could up their trade value. We’d get more bang for our buck with a prospect. And I’m well aware that there’s a very good chance that a prospect will crash and burn, but I’ll take that risk rather than sign Hairston. I mean come on…I’d rather gamble on a rookie having an OBP a tick over .300 than I would Hairston. He’s a one trick pony, and the trick isn’t even that good.

• Ted Nelson says:

He’s not a stud, but you’re definitely underselling his track record. He Is a bench candidate, and his 119 career wRC+ against LHP and 99 overall is fine in that role.

What prospect are you referring that is likely to be a league average hitter in the OF this year and considerably better against LHP?