Jan

McCarron: Yankees have checked in on Grady Sizemore

Via Anthony McCarron: The Yankees are one of several teams to check in on free agent Grady Sizemore according to his agent, Joe Urbon. Urbon recently told Ken Rosenthal that his client won’t sign until he’s ready to play again, which probably won’t be until midseason.

Sizemore, 30, was a bonafide superstar from 2005-2008, but injuries (knee, elbow, back, wrist, hernia) have since derailed his career. He had right knee surgery in September and has not appeared in a big league game since September 2011. When he has been on the field, he’s hit just .234/.314/.413 (96 wRC+) since the start of the 2009 season (81 wRC+ since 2010). There’s no such thing as a bad minor league deal, but I would bet against Sizemore ever being a productive big leaguer again.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. jjyank says:

“There‚Äôs no such thing as a bad minor league deal, but I would bet against Sizemore ever being a productive big leaguer again.”

Yeah, pretty much this.

• Laz says:

I agree, but Sizemore still has a ton of talent. If he is willing to prove himself in AAA I would be all for it. Wouldn’t guarantee a ml deal though.

• jjyank says:

Oh for sure. Like Mike said (and my comment agreeing), I don’t believe there is such a thing as a bad minor league deal. Sure, sign him to one and see what happens. I can’t imagine any team would give him an MLB deal at this point anyway.

I just wouldn’t expect anything out of him, is all.

• Barry says:

When you underestimate someone woth pure talent youre sure to be surprised. Heck nine months ago i broke my back and my hip, now im back pushng 350lbs with my legs and am stronger than ever. Being injured and fighting back is a big impetous and ive never been a world class athelete.

2. Gonzo says:

He and JJ Hardy fall into the same category for me. Once a future Yankee. :)

3. JS says:

JJ Hardy is still really good though.

4. Upstate Yanks says:

Yucky Yuck Yuck

5. trr says:

lets look elsewhere

6. Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

There is no such thing as a bad minor league deal. It’s highly unlikely, but this guy was really one of the best players in baseball and I’d say a 5 tool player for a few years in the mid 2000s. Why not take a chance, there’s no risk if it’s a MiLB deal.

• Brian S. says:

Our upper minors are already full of outfield prospects that need the playing time more than this guy does.

• Laz says:

Who though? If Grady is healthy he is much better than any of them. None of the outfielders aside from Mustelier will probably amount to anything.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Abe, Zoilo, and Ziggy Almonte!

• Brian S. says:

AAA: Melky Mesa, Zoilo and Abe Almonte, Adonis Garcia
          AA: Slade Heathcott, Tyler Austin, Ramon Flores

All of those are potentially useful pieces. Grady Sizemore and his 80 wRC+ and bad defense is not a useful piece.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Bad defense?

I’m not losing sleep if abe almonte or adonis garcia lose plate appearances to a healthy Grady Sizemore.

• Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

This. Garcia, Mesa, and the Almontes are a fringy players at best, Siezmore at best spends a month taring the cover off the ball before coming back to the majors. I’d have no problem taking a month of ABs from those guys for a chance of getting 2006 Grady Siezmore on my team.

• jjyank says:

This. Let’s not go overboard with the prospect hugging. I’d be mildly surprised if either of the Almontes even became a replacement level bench piece. They’re not standing in the way to seeing if a former superstar has something left in the tank.

• Brian S. says:

He hasn’t been a superstar in five years. I feel like the odds that one of the players I mentioned turns into a useful bench piece is much higher than Sizemore ever doing anything ever again.

• jjyank says:

The odds you speak of are heavily stacked in favor of most of the players you mentioned never even sniffing the MLB. If they have to split some time with Sizemore, so the hell what? If Sizemore gets hurt again or completely sucks, they can always cut bait with him by the ASB. Half a season and a few PA taken away isn’t a big deal.

• Brian S. says:

Sizemore was rated as a poor defender in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yeah, if nothing else you can DH him until he proves he’s healthy enough to take someone’s playing time.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he finds a better shot elsewhere on a team with no CF, though.

At the same time, Mesa, Zoilo, Segedin, Austin, Slade, and Flores are all in the upper minors and could all amount to something, arguably more than Mustelier.

• Havok9120 says:

No, they really aren’t.

It’s not going to happen anyway, and even if it did it wouldn’t be until the ASB from the quote Sizemore’s agent gave in that piece. But, really, the displacement of the Almontes, Melky Mesa, or even Future Hall of Famer Ronnie Mustelier for awhile probably wouldn’t cripple the farm system.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t think it stops you from giving Sizemore a shot (there’s always DH), but Austin, Slade, Flores, and/or Segedin could be in AAA by mid-season. I would definitely say the Yankees upper minors are loaded with OF prospects. The current AAA guys are more bench prospects, but still have value.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, of course. They’ve all got value and most have a decent shot at hitting the MLB club at some point in some capacity. But he seems to be arguing that it SHOULD stop us from signing him if the opportunity arose.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yeah, I was just agreeing with the loaded part. Most likely could make room for him unless things go insanely well for just about everyone else.

• Brian S. says:

I am indeed making that argument even if it is an unpopular one. There are five outfielders I have named that are AAA ready. They will have a hard enough time finding playing time as it is.

• Herby says:

That’s just it, too many past injuries. I don’t think he’ll ever be fully healthy again, or be able to maintain it for an extended period.

• MannyGeee says:

agreed, see: Russell Branyon.

7. MannyGeee says:

- ZOMG Ca$h-mann… stop calling all these old guyz!!!!!!

– But troll guy, Sizemore is only 30 years old, just had a bad break with injuries…

– BUT BUT BUT…. OLD GUYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand… scene. That should pretty much cover the next 80 comments, yeah?

8. Brendan says:

RAB should provide a link to the baseball-reference page for each player mentioned in a story.

9. Robert says:

35 days to camp cant wait so all these headlines end!!!

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

MiLB deal, invite to spring training.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Sure, why not.

Who thought Bartolo Colon or Eric Chavez would ever contribute again with their injury histories?

• Brian S. says:

Colon was on some of that stem cell HGH shit. The parallels between Grady Sizemore and Eric Chavez are pretty close though I must admit. However before 2011 we didn’t have any ML ready third basemen to back up an aging Rodriguez while we have a ton of outfielders.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Well it seems unlikely he’ll be healthy for spring training. But he can come hang out, I guess.

• Havok9120 says:

The company line from his camp is if he can play he’ll sign around the ASB.

I think he’s done, but I hope for the best for him. And if he’ll take an MiLB deal from us in the summer, sign him up.

11. blake says:

maybe they should sign him to show Heathcott what lies ahead if he keeps running into things

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

LOL.

We want Slade to tone it down a notch not turn him into an Abreu.

12. Betty Lizard says:

Oh just shoot me now. (Love(d) you, Grady, but sheesh . . . .)

• The Doctor (formerly known as G formerly known as Matt Smith fornerly known as David Tennant formerly known as etc) says:

Shoot me now we may sign a guy to a Minor league deal that will likely have zero impact on the MLB club?

You may want to call the suicide hotline if something like that is sending you over the edge.

13. Hoss says:

With all this talk about scrap heaps, I figured this was about Grady from Sanford and Son. Never mind.

• LitFig says:

“YOU BIG DUMMIE!”

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Lamont was the big dummy.

That show was awesome especially when he had the puerto rican neighbors and they were eating “mofungus”

• Hoss says:

“Elizabeth, I’m coming to join ya’ honey!” Obligatory rolling in grave comment.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

LOL

Yankees fan after they announce Stewart is the starting catcher

“It’s the big one, hear that George, I’m comin’ to join ya’”

14. Gonzo says:

He just needs two more years to get those 10 year benefits. So close yet so far.

15. tommy cassella says:

the yanks are really getting desperate. that’s what happens when you have a general manager who sucks. the assman always takes his sweet time in signing players. he expects players to come crawling to him begging for a chance to play for the yanks. meanwhile, he lets tori hunter, among others get away. he also lost players like chavez and ibenez without making an offer to them. the yanks lost 112 homers that were hit by the men he let get away. from my point of view, the yanks need a general manager who is more interested in the game then cheating on his wife. the yanks could do a lot better with somebody else as their g.m.

• jjyank says:

hahahaha

*breathes*

hahahaha

Sorry dude. I had to.

• Jim Is Bored says:

At this point I don’t even laugh. I just shake my head.

I guess people have always been stupid, but the internet has certainly made it easier to see.

• jjyank says:

I’ve worked in customer service long enough to be able to laugh stupidity off, especially the kind that doesn’t affect me personally. So I find ravings like this one very funny.

• Havok9120 says:

I’m with jj. I’ve got 6 years working (mostly nights) at a fairly large casino. I prefer to enjoy the nonsense.

16. Get Phelps Up says:

Mick taylor must be happy…

17. RetroRob says:

Olney: Yankees have checked in on RetroRob

Okay, we get it. If you fog a mirror, the Yankees will eventually check in on you. Almost none will make it.

18. dan gen says:

give us your poor and lame….now what 1500 dollar seat did you want to sit in????????????? 189189,189,189,189,……………

19. dan gen says:

Cashman is not interested in you unless you are some crazy woman..looking for an affair…thus,stick a wig on it and