Jan

Saturday Night Open Thread

Happy open threading everyone.

Categories : Open Thread

1. jjyank says:

A couple weeks ago, I got a new smartphone. I opted for the Samsung Galaxy, and am loving it so far. Today I discovered that I can talk to it. I knew iphones could do this (I’ve seen the commercials), but wasn’t aware that my Galaxy could as well. I gotta say, some of the jokes it has are funny.

Me: Hi, Galaxy.
    Phone: Hey, nice to meet you.
    Me: Tell me a joke
    Phone: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?
    *pause*
    Phone: Because it was dead.

I legit laughed out loud. However, there is a mildly creepy aspect to this. At one point, the phone said it could see me.

Me: Wait…do you have eyes?
    Phone: Yes, but I only have eyes for you.
    Me: ……..

2. Brian S. says:

Signing Thomas Neal was dumb. With assholes like him and Diaz clogging up AAA the outfielders like the Almonte brothers will have to play in AA, which means Austin and Flores might have to play in A+.

3. Big Member says:

any one here noes about laptops? i’ve been alisying the market and have stopped at http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6834310661 anyone has a similar machine?

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Don’t know about that model specifically, but it does have good specs and Lenovo has a good reputation. Best I can tell you.

• Neil says:

Lenovo is a great choice. Durable. And yep those are great specs. A thousand bucks is quite steep but depends what you want to do with it.

• Bo Knows says:

That is a really good laptop spec wise, definitely get it

• hogsmog says:

To be honest, if you are only planning on using it for internet & word processing, you probably don’t need that much power (translation: physical weight, low battery life, high component strain).

Right now, I use a Lenovo S205 netbook for home/mobile, and it’s worked out really well (about 1.5 years old). I get about 5 hours off the same battery it came with, and it was way way cheaper (a comparable machine today would probably be about $400).

I work on computationally-intensive numerical simulations, so I think I have a pretty good idea of what specs you need for which tasks. The machine you linked is indeed a solid one, but I don’t know if you need to spend that much money. If you aren’t writing code or playing really intense games, you aren’t going to be concerned with your processor/memory, but more likely your internet connection.

4. Pat D says:

Note to all Americans: This is how you riot!

5. turd surfer says:

Ever defriend someone on Facebook because all they do is spout out political extremes. I think the last straw was when he cited a bogus website as proof of something about Newtown. It was not a legitimate news source and contradicted the police report as well a every legitimate news source.

I’ve pretty much defriended him in real life but I still run in the same circles. How do I respond if he notices and says something?

• Pat D says:

Honesty?

• MannyGeee says:

you tell him to take his tampon out since, well…. its FACEBOOK! That honestly sounds like a problem my wife would come to me with, no offense.

• turd surfer says:

I’m young so maybe not an issue for some of you guys.

• MannyGeee says:

And to answer your question, no I really don’t defined people on Facebook. It’s just sorta is what it is, but to your point I am an older dude so it has little to do with my actual social life as much as something you do to see photos of other people’s kids/dogs….

And also to be a group of people who may or may not be conspiring…

• jjyank says:

I’m young to (I hope). I’ve de-friended plenty of people. None of which I come into contact with anymore, though. Can’t help you with that part.

My biggest purge was a couple of years ago, a few of them started chiming off about just nuking the entire Middle East. I couldn’t stand to see such stupidity.

• Pat D says:

I’ve sometimes thought that might be for the best.

GONNA DE-FRIEND ME NOW?!?

• jjyank says:

They were serious. Like, would have pushed the red button if they could. Really not cool man. Of all the travelling I’ve done, the Arabs are the nicest I have come across. And yes, that includes Americans.

• Pat D says:

Well, having never left the country, I do find that Americans generally suck.

• jjyank says:

In the Middle East, you ride shotgun in cabs, not the back seat. The reason being, they want to talk to you, welcome you, and share stories with you. That’s an illustration of the mindset of the culture. And some people want to nuke that.

• turd surfer says:

Thanks man. Glad to know I shouldn’t feel bad about it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Depends. Every now and then, it’s nice to have a window into a world you don’t really live in. It can get tiresome, though.

• Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

If you’re seriously worried about social fallout from defriending him, simply scroll over the down carrot on the upper right corner of his posts. There you’ll find a hide option, and from there you can basically selected removing him from your newsfeed. Then you don’t have to worry about his bullshit posts, and you don’t have to worry about any social blowback.

• RetroRob says:

I never de-friended someone I considered a true friend on FaceBook. Political comments don’t bother me from either side as long as they’re in their proper place. (Not a fan of them on sports boards, for example.) Yet if I was to start seeing extreme crap from either side, I wouldn’t hesitate to de-friend someone. If they asked, I’d tell them why. Actually, they wouldn’t have to. If they were a friend, I’d proactively tell them why I’m de-friending them on FB. In most cases, it’s usually not friends that cause an issue. It’s usually people who aren’t true friends, but you’ve connected with on FaceBook.

If you work with them currently and don’t want to create an issue, you can simply hide them. You’re still connected, but you will never see a post of theirs again. I have about twenty people in that bucket. I like them enough to keep them connected, don’t want to offend them, but they all did something consistently to annoy me, so they went off into the never-see zone. I even forget they’re there and connected since I never see anything they post.

• DC says:

Agreed, but I go a bit further…if you work with me, your friend request won’t be accepted. I keep those worlds separate.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Just tell him the truth and be up front about it. Since you have already defriended him in real life he probably noticed it already.

But if you don’t want to be mean or awkward just tell him facebook has been unfriending ppl do to updates and just add him back. Then go to his page, highlight the friends option, click settings, and uncheck everything you see. Therefore whenever he posts something you won’t see it but he’ll still be on your list.

6. Pat D says:

North Carolina is losing, Knicks are losing, Rangers are losing, the Super Bowl features two teams I hate, and of course we know the Yankees are doomed.

Life is great!

7. Andy says:

Does anyone else think that it would be awesome to have a pet sloth? You could carry it around on your back and it would look really cool. I would carry it around in public a people would go “Woah! What a cool looking backpack! It looks just like a sloth!” Then I’d be like “This isn’t a backpack!” and I’d feed it an apple or something. It would absolutely blow their minds. Am I alone in wanting to do this or is this an awesome idea?

8. MChass says:

More news from Yankee beat writers recently:

•Yankee GM Cashman said that he’s aware that he needs to strengthen the bench and find a right-handed bat for the outfield. However, he doesn’t feel as though it all has to come together by Opening Day and suggested that he could explore mid-season deals to make that happen. “Necessity is the teenaged mother of the unplanned pregnancy or invention, depending on how you see it. If we need to explore the scrap heap if we start falling out of contention, there’s going to be a load out there.”

•Meanwhile, the GM says the Yankees were never close to signing Scott Hairston either, despite being linked to him for a good portion of the winter, writes Dan Martin of the New York Post. Cashman added that the club isn’t opposed to multi-year deals but did say that they’ll have to be careful about it. “Some GMs just get way too caught up in the player’s prior season and don’t think enough about the long-term implications. This organization is by no means immune. Some might question the decisions to sign Carl Pavano, Kyle Farnsworth, Kei Igawa, Pedro Feliciano, A.J. Burnett, Damaso Marte, Mark Texeira, well… you get the point. But I have a saying: “Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.”