Jan

Saturday Night Open Thread

Spring Training is a little more than three weeks away, which is simultaneously awesome and depressing. One of those so close yet so far things. On the bright side, the NHL is back tonight with all three locals in action — the Rangers against the Bruins (7pm ET on MSG & NHL Network) and the Devils and Islanders against each other (7pm ET on MSG+). Neither basketball local is playing and the NFL postseason doesn’t resume until tomorrow, but talk about whatever you want here. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. trr says:

only 3 more football games left, I’m not a hockey fan and I abhor the NBA; time for a Spring Training countdown!

2. Jimmy says:

Hockey’s back. Life is good.

3. Havok9120 says:

While you guys celebrate hockey and look forward to football, I shall bask in the glow of my team beating #1 Louisville an hour ago. That was a heck of a game.

• Pat D says:

Syracuse still sucks.

Of course, considering the performances of North Carolina and Notre Dame this year, I have no room to talk. But my hatred of Syracuse goes that deep.

• Havok9120 says:

I knew you were an ND football guy. Didn’t know you had North Carolina, too. Ouch. At least ND’s looked good in basketball. Carolina….yeah.

Which particular awful thing we’ve done to those teams makes you hate my Orangemen though?

• Pat D says:

It’s not anything Syracuse has done to my teams.

It’s two words: Jim Boeheim.

• Havok9120 says:

Wait, really? Why??

• Pat D says:

He’s probably the biggest fucking whiner in the history of college basketball. He’s overrated, being that he’s won all those games but only been to 3 Final Fours and only won the one National Championship (thank you, Melo!). Plus, as a cherry on top, he employed that creep Bernie Fine all those years.

• turd surfer says:

You must hate Penn State.

• Cool Lester Smooth (formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

What good human being doesn’t hate Penn State, or at least Joe Paterno?

• Pat D says:

Sadly, no. This makes me a hypocrite, I know, but Penn State is going to pay the price for what was essentially the heinous criminal acts of one man, and the ridiculous inaction of four other men.

• Havok9120 says:

You know, they dropped the case just last month. Said there was no evidence of abuse. His life is ruined by the accusation of course, but there it is.

All I can say about his career is that it’s awful hard for me, a baseball fan, to claim that anyone’s career should come down to playoff performance. The NCAA tournament isn’t the crapshoot that the MLB playoffs are, but I think the point stands. Especially when one’s career is that long and at a place that really didn’t get top notch recruiting classes until Boeheim’s reputation started bringing them. *shrug*

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

You’re right, the NCAA tournament isn’t the crapshoot that the MLB playoffs are. It’s a much, much bigger crapshoot.

• forensic says:

My issue with him is his annual cakewalk of a schedule in the non-conference and until January (when maybe they finally leave NY for a game), and yet he’ll never get called on it, but if it were any other school or coach they’d get lambasted to no end for doing that.

And now that I think about it, this also could relate to Pat’s comment in that their records are maybe artificially good and so it’s not that they’re falling victim to the crapshoot of the tournament, but that they’re really just not that good.

4. mrdbag says:

Any word on the Yankees on the Yankee blog?

5. Hoss says:

Hockey is back! Let’s go Eangers!

6. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

It fucking sucks that the Devils are on MSG+. It’s basically impossible to watch them without paying more money than I’m planning on spending anytime soon.

7. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I’m not saying I’ll be happy if the Rangers lose.. But I won’t be sad.

8. Anthony says:

Stan Musial passed away today as well. Crappy day for baseball.

• Pat D says:

Oh, wow. That’s just beyond terrible.

My parents went to visit my sister, brother-in-law and niece today. He probably doesn’t know and I’m about to go tell him. He hated the Cardinals, but always liked Musial.

• Anthony says:

Yea, such a shame. I’m not going to pretend it impacts me all that much, because I wasn’t around when he played ball. His name did come up quite a bit while I browsed the internet for random baseball related things, though. Sad to see a legend go.

• TomH says:

How awful. When I saw my first ball game, taken by my father in 1953, it was primarily to see Musial. We got there a bit late, and Musial was coming to bat when we were taking our seats (in Philadelphia’s Shibe Parkk). He hit the first pitch off the right field wall and went like a gazelle (as the young Musial could) to third. Phillies’ fans can be a tough crowd, brutal in fact. I never saw them so to Musial. The stadium buzzed with anticipation when he appeared in the on-deck circle. Then all got quiet as he went into that coiled, snake-like stance.

Really one of the all-time super-greats, for the ‘inner’ hall of fame. MLB has a lot for which to answer for having permitted his career to fall into obscurity these past decades. It was shameful of them.

• Anthony says:

That’s a nice anecdote. Unfortunately Musial was way before my time, so there’s no way I can fully appreciate his feats. Like you pointed out, I never once heard his name until I started really delving into baseball & its history this past season. Of course being a Yankee fan I knew all about former greats like Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, etc. I vaguely knew about players like Ted Williams and Willie Mays, too. But nothing on Musial. A quick glance at baseballref and all I have to say is WOW. 3 time MVP, career .331 BA.

• RetroRob says:

Just got home and heard the news. Musial is in the Ruth, DiMaggio, Williams, Mantle class. A rare category of players.

9. Havok9120 says:

So I had a dream that Mo died at age 49. Now I’ll be scared for the next 8 years that it’s going to happen.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Dreams are RARELY literal. Calm down.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, it’s not like I’ll be freaking out or anything like that. I’m just saying “it’d suck if it was right.”

Mo, and really all that group, are guys I want to be banging around the organization for the next half century. Guys I can point out to my kids and say “I say them play, and hot DAMN were they good.” Mo dying at 49 would be terrible.

It’d really break up the 2020 Yankees to lose their closer mid-season.

• Bob Buttons says:

Why 8 years?

• MannyGeee (Certified Dream AnalRapist) says:

Quick track math……

The 49 indicated San Francisco, and the death is not of him but of his career?

The Yankess will beat the Giants in the World Series this year. IN San Fran… And Mo will announce retirement that night. You heard it here in Havoks dream AnalRapy first

10. Blake says:

Stan was in fact the man…..career OPS near 1 and only struck out 18 times one year in over 700 ABs…..one of the greats

• turd surfer says:

He was The Man. One of the greats and I still think he’s underrated.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I’m going to say no brainer Top 10 all-time. Maybe Top 5.

• Bob Buttons says:

I would give sufficient reason against that but I’m not gonna go through loads of effort to do something like that on a day the guy just passed.

But here is a list, to serve justice to the guys who are really better.
          Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, Young, Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Aaron, Mantle, Ted Williams, Grove, DiMaggio, etc.
          And possibly Bonds, Griffey, A-Rod.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I had Ruth Cobb Williams Mays as no brainers. I wasn’t including pitchers. The rest are debatable.

• Evan3457 says:

Bill James comparing Musial to Williams in his first Historical Baseball Abstract:

If I had to choose between the two of them, I’d take Musial in left field, Musial on the base paths, Musial in the clubhouse, and Williams only with the wood in his hand. And Stan Musial could hit a little, too.

He was the all-time MLB leader in MVP Award Shares until Barry Bonds’ needle (or cream or whatever) came along.

In my mind, Musial is the greatest player in NL history until at least the advent of Willie Mays. Great, great, great player, and by all accounts, a better human being than a player.

• Blake says:

Fangraphs has him ranked 9th all time in career WAR….right ahead of Rogers Hormsby and right behind Ted Williams…..yea he was one of the best ever

11. Brooklyn Nets says:

**** the Rangers

12. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Jeter has something to shoot for. Musial hit .330 in his age 41 season. Holy cow.

13. dkidd says:

Stan the Man

best nickname ever bestowed on a player by opposing fans

14. You should have shot Arod says:

Yankees get Thomas Neal from Cleveland. Dfaed for swisher R/R projected with some pop.
    Yeah for the cash ninja.