Jan

Wednesday Night Open Thread

I was away from my computer last night and I didn’t realize the open thread video didn’t post properly. I must have screwed up the code when I was changing the size. My bad. Anyway, there’s Chad Curtis hitting a walk-off homer (and flipping his bat!) off Mike Remlinger in the Game Three of the 1999 World Series. He homered off Tom Glavine earlier in the game as well, and the Yankees completed the comeback from a four-run deficit when Chuck Knoblauch hit this two-run dinger in the eighth. I remember so little about that World Series it’s not even funny. Everything from the other late-90s title years is pretty fresh though.

Here is your open thread for the evening. The Rangers and Nets are playing tonight, so talk about those games or anything else here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

My issues are with short-term memory loss, not long-term memory loss…

2. KeithK says:

Agreed. The 1999 World Series doesn’t stand out as clearly as the other seasons around that time. What I remember most about the series that year is how absolutely confident I was that the Yankees would win. Most years I’m super stressed during playoffs. That year I wasn’t. The team just felt dominant, even more so than the ’98 season.

3. Dale Mohorcic says:

I remember Curtis blowing off Jim Gray in the post-game interview because of how he had gone after Pete Rose at the ASG.

The rest of the series was pretty non-memorable. I have the highlight video tape somewhere. . . .

• Marcus says:

I was wondering if this was that game, although the interview with Pete Rose was prior to Game 2, as part of the All Century Team celebration.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Jim Gray was a grandstanding asshole at that ASG, I seem to recall. But Chad Curtis is also an asshole, so I guess I’d have to side with the guy who’s not defending the scumbag Pete Rose.
      Ahhh meltdown.

4. fat jeter says:

Didn’t Curtis, after the walk-off, then refuse to answer Jim Gray’s questions because Grey asked some questions to Pete Rose about gambling that he eventually copped to years later? Ah College, what fuzzy memories you leave behind….

5. Anthony says:

Thanks for those that replied to my post on the revenue sharing thread, unfortunately had some lab work to attend to and could not respond back.

6. Drew says:

1st day of my last semester for my MBA. May can’t come soon enough!

7. Hugh says:

That’s a nice bit of commentary on the Knoblauch HR by whoever was working with Joe Morgan.

The ’99 win felt pretty much a formality, even though two of the first three were pretty close-run things, as I recall (probably incorrectly).

What an epic team!

8. Bob Buttons says:

Ja’Marcus the Hutt on the comeback trail.

308 lb QB anyone?

9. …and then chad curtis raped young boys.

10. Jacob says:

Important for the Nets to win this game, has trap game/letdown game written all over it.

11. Pat D says:

Curtis’ snubbing of Jim Gray following his walk off shot is a prime example of doing the right things for all the wrong reasons. I guess I’m too young, but I’ve never understood why so many players like to defend that degenerate.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I agree. I hope he never gets in the HOF.

• trr says:

The Hall is full of bigots, drunks, drug addicts and wife beaters. Pete Rose has been punished for 3o years and lost millions of dollars as a result. There are murderers who have gotten off more lightly than he has…

• Pat D says:

He has deserved to lose all those millions of dollars. Considering his conduct for years before he finally came clean, I don’t believe he deserves to make that money back by getting to add “HOF” at the end of his signature.

I have no problem with him going into the HOF, but at this point I don’t feel he should get in while he’s alive.

• barry says:

you could replace “the hall” with humanity. People do stupid shit, it happens. The only people I don’t ever have any compassion for are rapists and sex offenders. They should be subject to torture and be made to walk the yard. Nope they get solitary for their protection.
          Pete Rose deserves to be left out because he went against the whole purpose of competition. He’s in the same class as Benedict Arnold really, traitors can never redeem themselves.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Pete Rose is the poster child for “he brought it on himself.”
          He gambled every day, on his team and against his team, knowing FULL WELL it would get him banned for life if he was ever found out.
          He did it anyway. And lied about it for 15 years. Fuck him.
          Also, his HOF stats are vastly overstated. He hung around forEVER to get that hits record, and was completely useless for like the last 9 years of his career.
          But he was player-manager and an “icon” so he got to pencil his name into the lineup every day to rack up weak singles.

• Crink says:

I think its the crime itself. If Joe Jackson isn’t in the HoF yet, theres no way Peter Rose is getting in any time soon

• trr says:

Are you calling Pete Rose a degenarate? You got a lot to learn kid.

12. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

My strongest memory of that series was Mo’s utter dominance (even when compared to his otherwise dominant caree.) I remember Chipper Jones actually caught on camera during an opponent’s helpless AB laughing (it was nervous laughter or more like “WTF? Do you believe this guy?” laughter.) He broke so many bats and they just couldn’t make solid contact on him. Completely dominant.

13. Fellow NY Ranger fans here?

• Bob Buttons says:

Not a serious NYR fan (or hockey overall) but whenever I play NHL 20xx I always pick them and I will watch their playoffs games if I got the time.

14. Bob Buttons says:

Also, another new reason to hate Kaepernick

He trademarked his pose.

As if he wasn’t a jerk already.

• before the trademark thing, how was he a jerk?

also, I don’t find him trademarking ‘kapernicking’ to be a jerk move. why not cash in? why let others cash in on using your likeness?

If for one second, you think Jeter hasn’t trademarked ‘Mr November’ or ‘jump throw’ or ‘DJ3K’ you’re crazy.

• MannyGeee says:

Found him annoying before the trademark thing…that’s just a try hard move… Whatever, here’s to hoping his next 04 minutes of fame treat him as we’ll as his first 5 did.

• Bob Buttons says:

He seems dislikable to me.

Also, I’m fairly certain that Jeter didn’t trademark those, or we’d be hearing about it in the papers. By Kaepernick trademarking it, he literally went down to the patent office and trademarked it. He is a second-year NFL player and he is already acting like a big shot, lacking a bit of humility there.

If you think for one second, you think Jeter did trademark it and Bostonian media didn’t put all those stuff in the paper and blast his ass off with the thing, you’re crazy.

15. Ilovebernie says:

Just a refresher: Cone & El Duque pitched two picture perfect games n Atlanta, I believe O’Neill got the big hit late in the second game. And, since I was there, I clearly remember Game 4, The Rocket pitching his very best game of the year, Yanks scoring 4 opportunistic runs; and, of course, Mo getting the four-out save, sawing off a couple of Atlanta bats. Those teams wer so absolutely special, we we so lucky to live through that era, a REAL dynasty <3

• barry says:

Never worried about those teams in the playoffs. The had a swagger to them that even gave us fans confidence. These teams it’s, “ok it’s the playoffs, are they going to hit?”

16. Pat D says:

Interesting memory trip for those who loved Chappelle’s Show. Can’t believe it’s been 10 years since its debut.

17. Vern Sneaker says:

Great to have hockey to watch. Nash looks great . Beautiful play on first Gaborik goal with Richards.

I couldn’t stand Curtis, but u can’t take that nite away from him. Thx for the post and memories.

18. barry says:

Havok9120, Thanks for the advice talked to tulsa welding school, might be moving to oklahoma this summer to start pipefitting program.

19. Ally says:

Thinking Yankee fans should send a petition to President Obama asking him to make Steinbrenners sell the team, lol.

20. Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

Watching MLB Seasons 2000, I was only 11 for most of the season, so I wasn’t really following anything but the Yankees and even then casually. 2 things: Imagine what these boards would’ve been like in September 2000, and what the fuck happened to Rick Ankiel?

• Pat D says:

I shudder to think what this would have been like in September 2000. I was in my second year at Notre Dame and as I’d check the score every night, I couldn’t understand what was happening.

What happened to Rick Ankiel was the same thing that happened to Steve Blass.

• Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

Pat…you need to make a FB. We must discuss things of a clandestine nature.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

The 2000 Yankees were one of the worst teams ever to win a WS.

21. TN says:

Per Ken Rosenthal, Cubs sign Scott Hairston on a 2 year deal.

22. barry says:

My wildly outrageous projection for Jeter? .323/.381/.428.

How about Youk? .273/.382/.467

Wild and wacky wasteland numbers or my crystal ball on nuclear power?

23. JayJay says:

Classic Joe Morgan right before Knoblauch’s game-tying homer:
    “They (the Yankees) have an opportunity to get right back into this game or at least tie it”

How did we put up with that guy for so long

24. KennyH123 says:

It has just been learned that 18 years ago, Babe Ruth was cloned and now his “clone” is a 6’2″, 200 lb, 18 yr old home run hitting & pitching baseball prodigy looking to sign on with a major league team.

Reportedly, the Yankees have “no interest. We already have too many left handed hitters. We’ll fill it in house”.