Jan

Yankees avoid arbitration with Phil Hughes

6:09pm: According to multiple reports, Hughes received $7.15M. Wow, good for him.

5:31pm: The Yankees and Phil Hughes have avoided arbitration and agreed to a one-year contract for 2013, the team announced. No word on the terms, but MLBTR projected a $5.7M salary. Hughes, 26, will be eligible for free agency next offseason. I wrote about the idea of a contract extension a few weeks ago.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. RetroRob says:

MLBN announced it was for $7.1M. I guessed $6M yesterday, and thought I might be a little high.

Clearly, the Yankees believe the arbitration process would have awarded him more than $7.1M. That says a lot about where the market is now.

2. Drew says:

Just lock him up already 4 years 45 million, he will get way more on the open market if he repeats his performance last year.

3. Greg says:

our hope should be that he has a good year, in which case we have to pay him 5/$75M next winter.

4. soxhata says:

They should extend him or trade him for some close to ready prospects.One draft pick sucks-oh yeah Morse is going to Seattle.That sucks more.

5. Blake says:

Morse traded to Seattle….3 way deal.

Seattle got Morse
    Oakland got Jaso
    Nats got AJ Cole

No clue what Jack Z is doing there

6. 28 this year says:

Holy shit! 7.1 million. There has to be more to that story right? Thats quite a ways off the formula guess of 5.7 million. I know its not perfect but a 1.4 mil difference is quite large and Hughes doesn’t seem to have anything to suggest that kind of difference. Good for him but this definitely is a shock.

7. Andrew Brotherton says:

I don’t see us resigning Hughes, the cost is going to be ridiculous the way the market is going. As I think we will resign Cano I say we just get the picks for him and Granderson and move on.

8. mt says:

I got more depressed about Cano free agency next year after Soriano signing yesterday. Basically Boras will drag it out until January 2014 looking for one team to give him that big payday keeping all Yankee plans next offseason hostage while other teams make moves. On the other hand spending $120 million – $200 million is a big commitment so maybe he will sign quickly.

Fielder also signed in January last year (although who knows what would have happened if Victor Martinez did not get injured in the prior December).

As for Hughes, I am ambivalent – I think his contract will be outrageous given his relatively young age next year in free agency so I hope he has a good enough year that we can give him a qualifying offer next year (which he will reject) – I just think his flyball tendencies do not fit well in YS3, especailly not at $70-$80 million for 5 years.

9. LK says:

Wow, those projections are usually quite close. Not sure I can remember a bigger discrepancy. This makes me wonder if they’re finalizing an extension and Hughes getting a higher 2013 salary was part of the deal.

10. There's the Door says: