Jan

Yankees claim Russ Canzler off waivers from Indians

Via Buster Olney: The Yankees have claimed Russ Canzler off waivers from the Indians. The 26-year-old is a right-handed hitting first baseman and corner outfielder, so think of him as Matt Diaz competition. The Yankees are going to have to make a 40-man roster move to accommodate him.

Canzler has bounced around quite a bit this winter, getting claimed off waivers three times (Blue Jays, Indians, and now Yankees). He’s a .270/.304/.396 (91 wRC+) hitter in 102 big league plate appearances over the last two years with the Rays and Indians. Canzler has mashed in Triple-A (.289/.365/.508) and against minor league lefties (.299/.377/.496) these last two years. I’m not sure how many minor league options he has left, but hopefully it’s at least one.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Yankeefan says:

i no is a small sample but vs lefties in the majors 12 for 30 with 2hr

2. Steve S says:

So who gets DFA’d? Mesa or Dickerson?

3. RetroRob says:

Nice pickup.

So the Indians signing Mark Reynolds led to the Yankees getting Youkilis and Canzler.

• Ted Nelson says:

It’s also possible that Cleveland signed Reynolds in part because Youkilis had already let them know he was going to NY.

4. kenthadley says:

He’s also played some 3B….maybe this matters. But he’s not a full time 3B candidate for sure.

5. ClayDavis says:

Wooohoooo!

6. MartinRanger says:

He could definitely be a useful piece. Or he could be Steve Pearce. Either way it’s worth taking a chance on a guy that young who slots into a ‘need’.

Still hoping for the Yankees to scoop up old friend Juan Rivera.

I’m really not a fan of Hairston, especially for the money and years he’ll command. I’d rather swing a trade for Soriano or Morse or even go into ST with a lefty-killing OF competition. The man doesn’t take a walk very often.

• Yankee insider says:

I see where your coming from with Juan rivera but this guy is much younger and hit 22 HR in the minors and if grandy is traded then we’ll have the perfect platoon in Dickerson (fast, hits for average solid fielder) and Canzler (average,power, UTIL) or Diaz who I think can still make the club because if grandy is traded it opens up another spot on roster we still have spots from Chavez, jones, ibanez, nix (minor leagues if Nunez is up), and swish. So canzler could be our UTIL/BACKUP with Diaz as DH/OF and Dickerson LF/CF.

• Ted Nelson says:

Not sure I’d call Dickerson and Canzler the perfect platoon, unless we’re talking AAA platoon.

• LK says:

Why does everyone keep bending over backwards to trade Granderson and make the team worse?

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Yankee fans hate the fact that they’re gonna lose him next year for nothing but a draft pick.

• Ted Nelson says:

Because it’s a fact that they will not resign him. Another great Fibula made-up fact based on half-truths and random guesses.

• Ted Nelson says:

Oh, I guess I should say sorry if I hurt your feelings by criticizing your comment, because people who make things up to deceive others deserve my full respect.

• Gonzo says:

No, but I’ll accept your apology for some of the awful things you’ve said to me.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

You take this shit WAY WAY too seriously if you think people are intentionally trying to “deceive” others.

It’s a freakin baseball blog, not international espionage, JJ Yank excluded.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Our hatred for each other aside, I thought it was pretty much assumed just as it was with Swisher that the Yankees are almost certainly going to let Granderson walk next year.

Given the budget, having to give huge raises to Cano and Hughes, fill several holes in the pen and rotation, not to mention the fact that Granderson will want a long term deal and is already in his decline phase and likely won’t be able to play CF beyond this year, it appears the smart decision will be to let him walk.

If you’ve ever come across anything indicating that the Yankees might be interested in extending him, I’d like to see the link.

• Ted Nelson says:

Typed a long response that doesn’t seem to have gone through, but:

Don’t think they need to re-sign Hughes. My guess is it won’t be the right move, actually. They’ll probably want at least one vet for stability even in a good case scenario, but it doesn’t have to be Hughes. Could be, doesn’t have to be. Could be someone cheaper through trade or FA, or someone better at similar AAV (Kuroda being on candidate, even Andy I guess).

Several holes may be one or two or three depending how 2013 goes. And I’m not counting on specific guys, but just a few of a large group.

Cashman said Cano and Granderson are guys you keep/re-sign or something. One thing I don’t like about you is that you forget a ton of stuff, and then act like it never happened.

Another thing is presenting uncertainties as certainties. This is the difference, in this case, between fanatical comments about how the Yankees need to trade Granderson now to go with an ideal platoon of Rusty Dick seeming reasonable or questionable.

• Ted Nelson says:

I mean there that in a good case it might only be 1-3 holes. In a bad case it could be all holes with no solutions in-house, I know.

• LK says:

I mean sure, but what are you trading him for that’s enough of an upgrade over the 1st rounder to be worth hurting the 2013 team that much? The Rangers aren’t sending Profar over for Grandy.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I’m not saying they should trade him since I think they could make a strong run this year but what’s the value of a sandwich round pick?

I’d bet 80% don’t even make it to the majors just off the top of my head. I would think they could get a pretty good AA or AAA prospect who has a much greater liklihood of actually making the bigs compared to the draft pick for a year of Granderson.

• thenamestsam says:

Well it’s not really nothing but a draft pick.

It’s a draft pick and a year’s worth of Curtis Granderson production which is pretty valuable also. Plus as Ted points out(in his special, special way) I don’t think it’s completely a foregone conclusion that he leaves.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I agree they shouldn’t trade Grandy and you are right that there is a non zero chance the Yankees resign him but the only way I can see the Yankees resigning that happening is if Cano leaves.

With the projected 2014 budget, I can’t see how they can fit Cano and Granderson not to mention Hughes plus replacements for Kuroda, Mo and Pettitte.

• thenamestsam says:

I think you’re right that he’s probably gone, it’s just a big pet peeve of mine when people (not saying this was necessarily your intention) act like the choice is between:

Door A: Prospects received for trading Granderson
                Door B: Draft pick received from letting Granderson leave

In reality, there’s a pretty good chance that the most valuable thing behind either door is a year of Curtis Granderson’s production at the cut rate of ~13M, especially since that production will be for a team that figures to be right in the thick of playoff contention.

• Ted Nelson says:

Not all of those replacements have to be FAs. I don’t get why you keep insisting they do. I’ve been saying for
                Months now that they can also use trades and in-house guys to fill some holes.

7. Havok9120 says:

A nice, minor move. Right handed guys in the corners and dark-horse relievers for the stockpile.

8. Get Phelps Up says:

Nothing wrong with moves like this. He could be another Jorge Vasquez or he could turn into a useful piece, but it’s nice to have him.

9. Robinson Tilapia says:

I look forward to his game-winning HR in May before getting DFA’d by the summer.

I also look forward to Eddard (wherever he may be) referring to him as “Ron Canzler.”

10. tmoney says:

so in a matter of 15 days Canzler was an Indian, then a Blue Jay, then an Indian again and now a Yankee. I would love to be his realtor.

11. Gonzo says:

But is he the type of guy that can turn the season around?

12. trr says:

All our problems are solved!

13. Dicka24 says:

I like moves like this. I would have liked a claim put on Scott Van-Slyke too though. I was surprised no one bit on that waiver. The Dodgers were able to send him down cuz he cleared.

• Havok9120 says:

SVS was one of those guys (like Dickerson when he hit waivers last year) where the Denizens of teh Interwebz seemed to think much more highly of the player than the actual teams did.

14. MannyGeee says:

Cashman sucks for not claiming Chase Headley off waivers instead of Russ Can-a-corn.

15. Drew says:

Great retaliation move for them signing Swisher. Cashman is a genius!

16. Gonzo says:

I can’t find a report on his defense in the OF. Anyone else find one?

FWIW, he had a .396 BABIP in his awesome 2011 AAA season.

17. Drew says:

Great retaliation move for them signing Swisher. Cashman is a genius

18. Jacob says:

what are these corey hart rumors i am hearing?

19. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

C-Dick DFA’d.
    Unfortunate, but he is a bit redundant with 3 LH starting OF’s.

20. DC says:

Per MLBTR, Dickerson DFA’d to make room on the 40.

Cue faux outrage.

21. dan gen says:

162 wins in a row after this big move

22. Vern Sneaker says:

NOW we’re set. What a relief.

23. dalelama says:

I am sure this move will put us over the top!!!

24. don bonomi says:

I’m going to give Cashman the benefit of the doubt conerning putting together a competitive 2013 Yankee squad. He doesn’t deserve much respect in my opinion. We lost some good players off the 2012 team and even though they couldn’t get past Detroit in the playoffs, they did help put together a 95 win team which you really can’t overlook. It’s really a shame that Cashman passed on some really strong free agent candidates that would have helped the team this year plus a few more years down the line. This budget obsession that the owners have for the near future could and probably will lead to the demise of the team’s success in 2013 and in the forseeable future. Being a Yankee fan since 1951, I feel that we as fans have the power to change the current direction in which the owners seem to be pushing the team. More fans need to speak out and express their displeasure. If that doesn’t work, empty seats at the stadium, falling tv ratings, and poor memorabilia sales could also send a powerful message to the owners. Remember that we as fans create the millions of dollars of profit that the owners are putting in their pockets each and everyday. If they won’t please the loyal Yankee fans then let’s take some of their money out of their pockets and see how they like it!

• DC says:

Passed on who?

• don bonomi says:

check the list of high quality free agents who signed with other teams. You can also add: Swisher, Ibanez and Chavez to the list. It’s O.K. to play small ball but you also need to have rbi and hr players in the lineup as well. Take a look at Ibanez for example. He was their top post season hitter, not to mention clutch player, and they let him go for 2.5 million to Seattle. Cashman has a way of not rewarding the key Yankee players who do a lot for the organization. Look what happened to the 2009 championship team. Instead of letting the team defend its World Championship, he let’s Damon and Matsui go and thats after Matsui earns the MVP for the series.

25. jesus vazquez says:

George is fliping in his grave asking what the HELL are these kids DOING?

26. SteveO says:

Bad move. CANTzler for Dickerson. Bad move. I’ve seen Dickerson play many games at Scranton and the Bronx and he is good.
    Dickerson was the right fielder that threw out Crawford at 3rd base when nobody else could come close. Made a fool out of the Rays that day as Carl Crawford made the third out.