Jan

Update: Yankees release Chris Dickerson

January 12th: The Yankees have released Dickerson according to the official site. What a waste, they couldn’t even get a fringe prospect out of him in a trade. I wouldn’t count on the team re-signing Dickerson to a minor league deal, though I suppose it’s possible.

January 4th: Via Chad Jennings: The Yankees have designated Chris Dickerson for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for the recently-claimed Russ Canzler. They have ten days to trade, release, or waive him.

Dickerson, 30, never got much of an opportunity during his two years with the organization. He’s a .266/.352/.407 (103 wRC+) career hitter in 599 big league plate appearances with a big walk rate (11.6%), a big stolen base success rate (81.8%), strong defense (+13 DRS and +14.2 UZR), and good numbers against right-handers (107 wRC+). His only crime was being a left-handed hitter on a team full of left-handed hitting outfielders.

Dickerson cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A last spring, but he’ll be able to elect free agency if he goes unclaimed again. I’m sure he would do that in hopes of finding more opportunity elsewhere. I’ve always been a fan, so hopefully someone gives Dickerson a couple hundred at-bats as a platoon bat in 2013 so we can see what he can do.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Havok9120 says:

I’m expecting a full-on Commentopocolypse here.

2. Gonzo says:

Isn’t there a chance that he can get more money on a minor league deal with someone else as a FA too?

• dfghj says:

Yes, and Mike enough with your ridiculous judgment. Love the site, but holy hell. Let’s stop commenting like you know that other teams had an interest. They clearly did not. You are starting to sound like Pete Abraham from his LoHud days, between this and the 189 spending cap, like it is some sort of small market philosophy.

3. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CASHMAN YOU FUCKING BASTARD. I HOPE YOU DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Someone asked Mike today what it would take for him to not be a Yankee fan.

If this isn’t it, I don’t know what is.

5. Anthony says:

Over/under 8 grave rolls?

Just messing. C-dick seemed like a capable player from the little I saw of him, but it doesn’t make sense keeping him given the current outfield makeup.

6. Get Phelps Up says:

Chris Dickerson getting DFA’d: the most mourned marginal platoon player loss ever.

7. Joe says:

This is a very STUPID comment*

8. gageagainstthemachine says:

The only Yankee game I’ve been to in the Bronx, Dickerson hit a laser into the second deck in the short porch in right. I always thought he should’ve been given more of a chance and I’m sticking to it. Glad I got to see that one shot against the Orioles this year! Good luck Chris!

9. thenamestsam says:

Makes sense to swap out Dickerson for a (hopefully) similarly talented guy who hits from the side of the plate we need.

That said, I have to say that Dickerson’s career really doesn’t make sense to me. Everything I’ve seen from both an eye test and a statistical perspective indicates that he’s a guy capable of helping someone at the big league level, he just really hasn’t been given that chance. I honestly think he would do alright as the big side of an OF platoon (not tear it up or anything, but for a low budget team looking for a full time guy for the minimum) and would be a great pickup as a 4th OF for a team with mostly right-handed OFs. I’d really like to see the guy get a shot.

• Havok9120 says:

As much as I’ve mocked the Dickerson love, I’m in the same boat as you here. I was very surprised when he passed unclaimed through waivers last time ’round.

• Gonzo says:

I agree. I forget who mentioned it, but someone said that expanding bullpens have cost players like Dickerson chances over the years. Easier to have a platoon at a position if you don’t carry so many pitchers was the reasoning.

10. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

Good riddance. I hated that guy.

11. Alkaline says:

I really hope this thread turns into some of the other ones today. There were some solid performances so far.

12. first name only male - Retire 21 says:

He’ll be on the Astros’ roster any moment now.

• Havok9120 says:

I’m waiting for Arizona to stake a claim.

It’ll be glorious.

• MannyGeee says:

Funny, Houston was my first thought too… Then, Cincinnati. Those are the kinds of teams that feast of this kind of roster move… er, travesty… Rather, INJUSTICE!!!

13. mrdbag says:

Cash had the nerve to say that we will see less homeruns this year sarcastically like he was taunting the fans. Please bring in billy beane at least he cares.

14. Vern Sneaker says:

So weird how some guys get no respect. I don’t think it’s off the wall to speculate that Dickerson in right would have been a better way to go than Ichiro. What is it exactly that the baseball geniuses didn’t like?

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

NOW THEY CAN’T TRADE CHRIS DICKERSON STRAIGHT-UP FOR JUSTIN UPTON! DIE RANDY LEVINE DIE!

I look forward to hearing about how terrible this was every time Dickerson breathes and/or puts the ball in play wherever this winds up.

Remember, though, don’t waste your time on marginal players.

16. Paco says:

At 30 years old and a marginal outfielder I think it makes some sense to cut him loose. They added a younger player that has more potential to find a role. Sounds reasonable.

17. Steve S says:

I think he’ll be traded. Several teams are gonna be after him.

• Paco says:

Good point – though a bit odd that he cleared waivers last time and was send to AAA. I suppose he played well after that and increased his value, but you would have thought that he would be what he is at his age.

• Vern Sneaker says:

Well of course he’s marginal if you don’t play him. The only real negative I can see in his stats is a 27% K rate but the two years he got 300 ABs (2009 with Cin. and 2012 AAA Yanks it went down to 23% and 22%. And a + defender and base runner. But he’s gone so time to let it go.

• MannyGeee says:

Who would trade for him when they can wait 4 days and sign him as a FA?

CHERRINGTON WOULD!!! Someone get Yawkey Way on the line, STAT!

• Steve S says:

A team that wants him without uncertainty. If you have low waiver priority or do not believe that he would choose to sign with your team.

18. Herby says:

Hopefully he’ll get a chance to see some playing time, it wasn’t going to happen with the Yankees and maybe they’ll be a chance to see what kind of player he could’ve become., and no…500 some at bats here, and there is not really a chance. I hope this guy they got is of some use and not someone who ever sees N.Y.

19. RetroRob says:

He’ll be claimed, unless the Yankees trade him. They turned Sergio Mitre into Dickerson the last time, so maybe they can turn Dickerson into something else they need. Probably more difficult this time of year since teams are all dealing with the same 40-man roster issues, unable to put any player on the DL right now.

Yet, with Diaz and Canzler, and Mesa and Almonte at AAA, Dickerson was out of room. I hope he does get a chance on the MLB level this year. Unlike a Greg Golson who has not chance of sticking on the MLB level, Dickerson does.

He’d make a nice platoon partner for Justin Maxwell in Houston. I could even see the Mets wanting him. : -)

• Ted Nelson says:

I figured he’d be claimed last time, too, though. Probably more likely to be claimed in the offseason, I guess.

20. Bartolo's Colon says:

Favorite c-dick moment was when he hit a bomb off Felix in safeco. He will be missed.

21. Bulldog's Greenies says:

Man, I really doubt either Diaz or Canzler can carry C-Dick’s jock. I was always high on him and I really think we may come to regret this move.

I’m a huge Ichiro fan, but I think we’d have been better served going with C-Dick in RF.

22. dan gen says:

That man in the corner crying is mike a. ,he is crushed THE YANKS CUT HIS GUY……….

23. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Mike just keeps kicking sand in the face of C Dicks fan club.

24. Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

Usually I’m on board with most of the team’s decisions, because people who know far more about players ability, potential, talent, work ethic, and personalities than I do make the decisions. However one I cannot get over for the life of me is signing Ichiro for 2 years of guaranteed money when they could have likely gotten the same production from Dickerson at a fraction of the cost, with (In my mind) far less of a risk of the player falling off of a cliff.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I just don’t think it’s that cut and dry that they’d get the same level of production out of Dickerson.

• Preston says:

I tended to agree with you that Dickerson could easily be comparable to Ichiro. Apparently every big league GM disagrees with us since Ichiro had about ten teams make him offers, with several of them being multiple years, while Chris Dickerson wasn’t claimed by a single team.

25. Robinson Tilapia says:

I won’t make a snarky comment here. I’m somewhat surprised, I guess?

He’s still going to have to walk on to a club and win a job out out of Spring Training. I guess I understand why every other team would just rather try their luck on a guy like this on an ST invite and not give up something just to lock in that right until his 40-man spot becomes open.

It’s still not a bad way to make a living.

• RetroRob says:

I think part of it is logistics. I’m not sure a team claiming him can just assign him in the minors unless he agrees. He’ll probably opt for free agency instead, so that makes a team less likely to work out a deal. It strikes me when a player is DFA’d greatly impacts these things. Teams’ 40-man rosters are full. That’s how the Yankees were able to claim Canzler, and they opted to open up a 40-man spot.

I really don’t know. There are so many rules around these things. All I do know is I have three posts related to this, which is way too many. I will now go do something productive, like have another cup of coffee.

• tom tuna says:

“I won’t make a snarky comment here.”

Such forbearance. A Tilapia first!

26. RetroRob says:

Surprised no team would part with even a fringe prospect. They probably figure they can pick him up once he’s released, yet then they’re competing with other teams. Can’t imagine he’d have any interest in re-signing with the Yankees since he’ll get a chance to play elsewhere. The kid is, well, not a kid. Time is running out.

He’d make a great platoon partner for Justin Maxwell in Houston. Maxwell punished lefties and Dickerson is stongest against righties. Perhaps a .270/.350/.480, 25 HR combined line? : -)

27. thunder rd runner says:

should’ve gotten smething…

28. BaltimoreYankee says:

A nice roster filler type player but if I don’t have to see the phrase C-Dick on this site any more, it’s worth getting rid of him.

- B-Yank

29. Ted Nelson says:

If no team wanted him when he was free and passed through waivers, it’s not exactly surprising that no team wanted to give up an asset to put him on their MLB club.

30. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

This guy Axisa sure puts the ‘blues’ in River Ave Blues.

31. There's the Door says:

Dickerson becomes yet another homegrown guy we won’t really know about until he gets a chance somewhere else.
    It’s essentially a trade for Canzler. We’ll see.

• Ted Nelson says:

Dickerson was not homegrown. He was a month shy of 29 years old when he got to the Yankees org.

• DC says:

Homegrown?? He was drafted in ’03 by the Reds. Traded by the Brewers to NY in 2011 for Mitre.

• MannyGeee says:

God the Yankees suck so bad, even their young homegrown prospects are geriatric, Amirite? Also, future HoF ronnier mustelier

• Deep Thoughts says:

Yankees drafted him in the 32nd round in 2000, he didn’t sign, and Cincy took him in the 16th round in 2003.

• Mickey Scheister says:

It’s payback. After all these years, the Yanks NEVER forget, ever. Perhaps if C-Dick had been under the guidance of MiL instructors before 2003, he’d be 29 and going through arb for the final time as opposed to released. But since he’s a cornball brother anyway, who cares? I will miss the completely predictable comments in the game thread, all three of them.

32. mark says:

word out of Boston is they going after him….