Jan

Yankees place three on MLB.com’s top 100 prospects list

MLB.com published their always entertaining top 100 prospects list yesterday, which was predictably topped by Rangers SS Jurickson Profar. Orioles RHP Dylan Bundy and Cardinals OF Oscar Taveras round out the top three, Rays OF Wil Myers and Mariners RHP Taijuan Walker the top five.

The Yankees placed three prospects on the list, led by C Gary Sanchez at #36. OF Mason Williams wasn’t far behind him at #41 while OF Tyler Austin lagged at #75. MLB.com’s lists are always eyebrow-raising, and this is likely the only time this spring you’ll see Sanchez ranked ahead of Williams — in fairness, that isn’t completely insane, just a minority opinion — and no OF Slade Heathcott on a top 100 list. Giants OF Gary Brown made the list and Heathcott didn’t. Can’t explain it, but such is life.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Blake says:

BA ranked Heathcott ahead of both Sanchez and Austin….I think he’s still getting dinged because of the injury history but if he stays healthy and hits at AA he will shoot up the rankings Id think.

• Ted Nelson says:

Hard not to ding a guy who has yet to manage 352 regular season PAs in three full pro seasons. These lists are often disproportionately about upside, but Slade’s probability of staying healthy is still pretty low for at least the next year or two.

• Blake says:

No argument there…just sayin. I think Hearhcott is a bit off the map right now just because he hasn’t played…but he’s very talented….maybe the most talented prospect they have overall. Hopefully he will stay healthy and open some eyes in 2013 like he did in the fall league

• KeithK says:

Can anyone think of a guy who had the kind of injury problems that Heathcott has had as a youngster but then managed to have a relatively healthy, productive career later? A specific major league example would make it much easier to dream about Slade.

• kenthadley says:

Jim Palmer, Paul Molitor, Mickey Mantle are examples of players who had serious injuries early in their careers but overcame them to become good players. Not comparing Heathcott to them in ability, but with injury history. Someone as talented as folks here seem to believe Slade is can come along very fast and leave the past in the dust, injury wise.

2. trr says:

God knows we need Sanchez as soon as he is ready….

3. Ted Nelson says:

I would agree with Sanchez ahead of Mason based largely on position. I’d probably put Austin ahead of Mason, as well, and maybe Manny. That’s not to say that I’m not high on Mason, just that I’m higher on Austin and Manny than the current consensus.

• Preston says:

Yeah, I’d rank them Sanchez, Austin, Mason and then Heathcott. Austin is the most complete and polished hitter of the four the other two can be as athletic in the OF as the want, Heathcott needs to K less, and Mason needs to prove he can hit at A+ before I rank them ahead of Austin.

• Laz says:

Agree. Also for some reason that I can’t explain I’m not nearly as high on Mason as the others.

4. jesse says:

Somehow Jose Iglesias made the list. I don’t know either.

• Blake says:

He can pick it at SS….but his bat is a wet noodle

• Preston says:

MLB.com likes to hype guys who are actually likely to play in the bigs the next year. It makes sense for them since createing hype around prospects is good marketing for them. An elite defensive SS at AAA behind the oft injured Stephen Drew is a pretty good bet to get a big look next season. Put him on the list and then it’s “top prospect makes debut”.

5. Mike says:

Can’t believe 6 Boston prospects made the list

6. RetroRob says:

The list is supposedly based on a player’s overall skills, upside, how close he is to the Majors, which directly ties to his ability to help their big league clubs. Heathcott is the first of the baby bombers’ young position players to hit AA and has the highest ceiling of any the players mentioned. I don’t have the knowledge to compare Heathcott to the 100 players, but his exclusion seems odd looking at a few of the names on the list that I am familiar with.

• Laz says:

Health. If he can stay healthy he could very easily be an all-star.

• RetroRob says:

Ehh, a torn shoulder here, or torn shoulder there. : -)

But, yeah, health is most likely the reason for his miss and it’s legit.

• Ted Nelson says:

Austin has actually played in AA, while Slade has not.

I don’t know exactly how Mayo describes his criteria, but generally with prospects people talk about upside and probability. It’s the basic model for prediction: multiply the likelihood of various outcomes by the payoff for those outcomes. Slade has great upside, but he would seem to have low probability because he hasn’t managed more than 351 PAs in any of three MiLB seasons.

7. Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Health is the only reason Slade and Banuelos aren’t on this list and it’s not like either of them have insurmountable injuries like “the HIV” or something.

• Preston says:

Jim Bowden’s pieces at ESPN have been mostly wild speculation with a dash of bat shit crazy every now and again. So I wouldn’t take it too seriously.

• Laz says:

Have seen worse speculation today alone.
        Once Yankees peel off some of this payroll, I could easily see them spend big again. It’s not like they will ever go down to being the Rays.

• Mike HC says:

I’m definitely with you, but I thought this was one of the better ones I have read. Or maybe I am just looking for any shred of optimism in the new cost conscious Yanks.

• hogsmog says:

Can you give a summary for those of us without a subscription?

• Mike HC says:

This basically sums it up:

“However, consider the 2014 class. The top five reads like an All-Star Game rotation: Justin Verlander, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez, James Shields and Brett Anderson, who has the potential to be a Cy Young candidate someday. That’s three of the best starters in baseball and two more who are pretty close, all eligible for free agency. (The A’s hold a 2015 option for Anderson, so he might have to wait a year.)

So, imagine the Yankees with a reset tax history and cleared payroll ready to rebuild their starting rotation. They could do it in one offseason. Or perhaps two? The 2015 class is almost as loaded with pitching as 2014′s, headlined by David Price, Cliff Lee, Johnny Cueto and Yovani Gallardo.”

(If posting this was somehow illegal, please feel free to delete)

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Sounds good in theory though I’d be shocked if any of The Kershaw, Verlander or Felix group actually became free agents.

• RetroRob says:

I wouldn’t shocked since Verlander and King Felix already gave the home-town discount on their first deals that made them multimillionaires. It was a good move. Leave some money on the table, but get lots of money in case of injury. Part two of that is to go for the killing on the next deals. That means free agency. Of the three, I would think Felix is the most likely to leave his team. He’s basically already said he has no interest in the four-year, $100M offer floated about in the media. He’s going for every dollar this time, so he might end up being traded. Hard to guess what will happen from there.

I can see Kershaw doing what Verlander and King Felix orginally did, meaning lock into a deal that buys out some of his free-agent years, making him the least likely of that threesome to make it to free agency this time around. Verlander will probably stay in Detroit, although I don’t see any discount. He’ll need to maximize the opportunity, which means free agency.

The MLB player’s union really does encourage its players to become free agents. That’s the way to get the most dollars and establish a new AAV record.

• Laz says:

I’m thinking if it’s anyone it will be Felix, unless one of them really doesn’t like their city. Illich has been willing spend a lot, he will keep Verlander. Dodgers don’t need to say.

• RetroRob says:

I read it. I mostly don’t find Bowden’s stuff useful since he’s looking to fill space, but in theory he’s correct. Signing some high-end, impact free agents coupled with the continued development of the Yankees young players to supplement the big league roster or use for trade is no doubt part of their rebuild plan. And, yes, they do appear to be entering into a rebuild phase, even if they’re going about it in their own uniquely Yankee way.

I believed the Yankees were serious with Plan 189 and I also believe they will exceed Plan 189, but it won’t be for a couple seasons.

8. TJ says:

As good as Verlander is and has been, doesn’t it seem like the chances of him staying injury free are getting slimmer? They guy is amazing, but for how much longer past 2014? Wonder if he would expect a 7 yr deal?