Feb

Fan Confidence Poll: February 25th, 2013

Spring Training Record: 1-1 (8 RS, 5 RA)
Spring Training Schedule This Week: @ Orioles (Mon.), @ Phillies (Tues.), vs. Orioles (Weds. on YES), vs. Blue Jays (split squad, Thurs. on YES), @ Astros (split squad, Thurs), vs. Phillies (Fri. on YES), vs. Red Sox (Sat. on YES), @ Red Sox (Sun. on YES)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. jjyank says:

My confidence obviously took a hit with Grandy going down. I’ve been voting an 8 all offseason, because I’m an optimist, but I’ll say I’m a 7 today. Still think that this team has what it takes, and hopefully Grandy has no setbacks.

I’m still feeling good though, if for no other reason than this is the first year of a baseball season where I have a phone on the 4G network…meaning my signal should be good enough for me to watch day games at work!

2. JohnC says:

Zolio Almonte for ROY. You heard it here first!

3. Murderers' Row Boat says:

Still a 4 since Grandy will only be out until May and the front office won’t channel the Boss and trade for some washed up bum making $20m a year.

4. Manny's Banwagon says:

Still a 6 though it would have been nice if they had bothered to get a decent 4th outfielder this winter.

5. mac says:

Still a 5 eventhough Grandy has big power numbers in Apr/May that will be near impossible to replace.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Almonte/Mustelier/Mesa do the next few weeks.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

I actually pulled out the long division here and everything. Fourth grade math FTW.

2013: 6
    2014 and beyond: 7
    Life Without Curtis: 4

6+7+4=17
    17/3= 5 2/3

5 2/3 is rounded up to a 6, so 6 it is.

I challenge anyone to give you a more statistically based analysis of their vote than that. Call me Nacho Fucking Silver.

• Bob Buttons says:

2013 weighs less than 2014 and beyond.

That’s the difference between fourth grade math and seventh grade math.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I had the same teacher for fourth and seventh grade, believe it or not. Even more unbelievable is that, 30 years later, I’m friends with her on Facebook and she looks exactly the same. She must have been 18 when she was our teacher.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

However, would weighing 2014 more put me about the 6.5 necessary to bump me back to baseline 7? Hmmmm.

I’ll vote a 7 on a second PC just in case that’s true.

#justlikeflorida

• MannyGeee says:

The hanging chad of confidence polls. Well played

• Manny's Banwagon says:

Dont see how you can honestly believe 2014 is gonna be better than 2013.

I’ve been thinking they make the playoffs as a WC this year, likely miss the playoffs next year and are hopefully ready to roll again in 2015.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d give myself an extra on 2014 simply based on there being a year’s extra time to prepare for 2014 than there is for 2013, never mind the top prospects being a year further along in their development, your namesake being back from TJ, and our plan to anally inject Eddard into Hal Steinbrenner in order to eliminate the celery cap.

• Bob Buttons says:

Depends on the “beyond” part.

For example 2013 (without the Curtis part,since you mentioned that) can weigh 6 shares(May, June, July, August, September, October) or 5

if beyond means 5 years then it is

[6(weight)x6(rating)+4(one month w/o Curtis)+7(weight)x7(rating)x5]/42 (months in total) = 6.79

if “beyond” is 2014 and 2015

(6×6+4+7x7x2) / 21 = 6.57

if “beyond” is 2014

(6×6+4+7×7) / 14 = 6.35

Never was a great math student, but I choose to blame it on stupid functions and geometry.

• MannyGeee says:

I was going to say this a little dumber, but come to the same conclusion:

the 2013 portion of Granderson’s season “should” weigh more than the 2013 portion of the season without Granderson, if for no other reason that time frame affected. and 2014 should weight as much as both of them combined.

7. Chien Ming The Merciless says:

At a 6 today because of the Granderson injury. It’ll be really interesting to see who starts in left now. I’d like to see what we have in Ronnie, Mesa, Almonte, and Diaz.

Interesting to see how ppl backtrack now and see that Granderson is pretty valuable to us.

8. Bavarian Yankee says:

voted 7. It’s a shame that Grandy got hurt in his very first AB of the season. Immediately had to think about A-Rod injury from last season. Now I hope Zoilo has a big spring and maybe he has a real shot to make the Opening Day roster.

9. Reggie C. says:

Down from a 6 to a 5.

Was hoping C-Grand’s walk year would produce instant offense from the get-go of the season. Not going to happen now. He’s out all of spring training. Just a bad bad day for the organization. More pressure now befalls Teixeira and Youkilis to put the breaks on their respective declines and give us at least league average production from their respective positions. Cano and DJ can only do so much.

10. Mike HC says:

Granderson injury brought me from an 8 to a 7. Not only about how long he is out for, but also because many a player has struggled to hit all that great coming off a freshly healed broken hand.

11. Vern Sneaker says:

I’m as much a hopeful sucker for prospects as anybody, but let’s face it, minor leaguers are minor leaguers, unproven, and in the case of Almonte with nothing above AA, in the case of Mesa mucho Ks but without Grandy’s HRs, and in the case of Mustelier perhaps an adequate big-league hitter but not really an outfielder. At least Mesa offers good defesne and speed and might run into a fastball now and then. Almost surely the sub will end up being Rivera, possibly Diaz, or someone we pick up which we have to do anyway now. Soriano? How sad is that? This is BAD.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

At this point, though, I think I’m more fearful of “death by hole-plugging” than I am of Ronnier or Zoilo getting a 6 week try-out and going out and acquring a Wise-type (or the real thing himself) as depth.

12. MannyGeee says:

I voted a 7.

The “Future Hall of Famer Ronnier Mustieller Story” begins here.

13. literallyfigurative says:

still at a 9. grandy has a broken arm, not the ebola virus. the pitching and base stealing facets of the team are going to have to be strong early. we might have to win games 3-2 for a few months, but it can be character building.

besides, when in the past few years have the yanks not had injuries/slow starts in april and may?

#weshallovercome

14. Havok9120 says:

I’m down to 6 as my baseline with Granderson hurt. We shall see how this goes.

15. literallyfigurative says:

z. almonte,melky and fhfrm for two months? sign me up!!!

16. Eddard: Back and better than never says:

With Granderson down there is less power but also less strikeouts. I think if this Yankee ballclub can harness the power of hitting for contact we’ll have a puncher’s chance at the division crown. The rest of the division is younger, quicker and only improving. The Yankees are that old dinosaur who will die out if it doesn’t adapt. And slashing payroll doesn’t help.

17. Dr. Bosh's List says:

Something Irked me about his clip, when these sportsnet canada guys talk about Granderson’s injury. “If you can’t beat them, break them.” I know it’s supposed to be a joke, didn’t find it too appropriate considering it’s regarding an athlete getting injured.

• Green Manalishi says:

Toronto fans have had a an awful 2 decades and if this offseason’s mega moves don’t pan out, they could be in for another 2 decades of misery. I’m betting Anthopoulos rolled the dice and comes up craps…he loses his job.

• trr says:

Yes, speed of recovery obviously is related to severity of the fracture, how it affects him afterward will be determined by the exact location of the break vis-a-vis where his swing imparts stress…

….or could it be I don’t know WTF i’m talking about!

• trr says:

if it makes u feel any better, Warren plunked the Jays lead-off hitter the next inning

18. austinmac says:

I voted a five as it inquires about overall future. They have half a teamn for 2014 with the other half being free agents. Good luck with that and only a little money to spend.

19. LarryM., Fl. says:

6. I still believe that this team over the season will perform well enough to make the playoffs even without Grandeson for 30 games. This is a perfect time to play our kids and see if one of them could play big time for 30 days as a fill-in. I do not want to see Rivera or Diaz running after fly balls. They will be to exposed. Cashman suck it up and play the kids. Winner take all for a month.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, I want to see one on the bench. I don’t want to see Diaz or Rivera playing every day, even in time-limited duty.

20. Barry's Gift Basket says:

From 7 to 6 because of Grandy obviously.

I little O/T but i spent the last 2 hours reading the comments sections of the weekend instead of, you know, work, and a question came up.
    So, did Ted Nelson got hiself banned or not?

• MannyGeee says:

He Who Shall Not Be Named, you mean?

dunno, just felt like a good place to throw in a Voldemort meme.

• Jim Is Bored says:

I wish I hadn’t read that thread. I told myself I wouldn’t, lasted about 3 hours and then caved.

I think people are reacting as though he’s gone for the season. I think this team can stick around .500 without him, on our pitching alone.

I think some of us are going to be rubbing a lot of these posts in people’s faces if/when the yankees make the playoffs. Even as a #2 wild card.

21. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Ichiro to left, Gardner in center, let the kids slug it out to see who gets to be the 6 week RF, and if he excels, he can stay as the 4th OF.

22. Vern Sneaker says:

Where’s Shane Spencer when you really need him?

23. Jim Is Bored says:

Grandy’s out until mid-late may. Hover around .500 without him, see what happens.

Worth lowering from a 7 to a 6, but can’t go any lower than that.

24. Herby says:

I’m still at a 7, despite all the moaning from the press and throughout town. I think when we get to the final 3 months of the season the injury is an afterthought.