Spring Training Record: 1-1 (8 RS, 5 RA)
Spring Training Schedule This Week: @ Orioles (Mon.), @ Phillies (Tues.), vs. Orioles (Weds. on YES), vs. Blue Jays (split squad, Thurs. on YES), @ Astros (split squad, Thurs), vs. Phillies (Fri. on YES), vs. Red Sox (Sat. on YES), @ Red Sox (Sun. on YES)
Top stories from last week:
- Hall Steinbrenner is reportedly “freaked out” over the reaction to his plan to get payroll under the $189 million luxury tax threshold by next season. The owner confirmed Scott Boras knows they’re willing to discuss a “significant” contract for Robinson Cano.
- Injury News: Curtis Granderson (forearm) will mess ten weeks following a hit-by-pitch. Derek Jeter (ankle) continues to ramp up his workouts. Phil Hughes (back) has a bulging disk and figures to miss at least two weeks. Michael Pineda (shoulder) will stretch out his bullpen sessions and begin throwing changeups soon. Mark Montgomery (back) has resumed throwing off a mound. Relief prospect Nick Goody (ankle) has been shut down following a car accident.
- Despite Hughes’ injury, the Yankees do not have interest in Kyle Lohse. They are also unwilling to give up a good prospect for Alfonso Soriano, though that as before Granderson’s injury.
- Mason Williams, Slade Heathcott, Gary Sanchez, and Tyler Austin all ranked among Baseball America’s top 100 prospects.
- Melky Mesa, Walt Ibarra, Gil Velazquez, Juan Cedeno, and Pat Venditte will all participate in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
- The Yankees are officially the Evil Empire, at least when the phrase is used in relation to baseball.
- David Price took back his comments after saying he wouldn’t sign long-term with the Yankees.
- Frankie Cervelli does not had an option remaining despite recent reports to the contrary.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)