Feb

Update: Future Yankee David Price takes back comments

Thursday: Unsurprisingly, Price backtracked today. “It probably wasn’t the best thing to say, but I didn’t mean anything by it … I wasn’t looking to offend the Yankees. It’s probably the best organization in all of sports. Not just baseball, but all of sports. I didn’t mean anything (against) the New York Yankees. I’ve had friends on that team for multiple years,” said the left-hander. Sounds like his agent told him it wasn’t a good idea to say he wouldn’t sign with one of the game’s wealthiest teams, eh?

Wednesday: Via Jon Morosi: David Price said he would not sign a long-term contract with the Yankees because of their facial hair policy. “I wouldn’t stay there very long (if traded to New York),” said the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner. “I wouldn’t sign a long-term deal there. Those rules, that’s old-school baseball. I was born in ’85. That’s not for me. That’s not something I want to be a part of.”

Price, who was in fact born in ’85, won’t become a free agent until after the 2015 season. He is slated to earn a little more than $10M this year, making him the highest paid player in franchise history. It’s also his second of four trips through arbitration as a Super Two, and as Morosi’s column states, it appears to be only a matter of time before Price gets too expensive for the Rays and they trade him for what might be an unprecedented prospect package. It could happen as soon as the trade deadline but I’m thinking next winter. Either way, I’m guessing David would be singing a different tune in a few years if he hits the open market and the Yankees make the largest offer. It is his destiny.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. FIPster Doofus says:

Liar.

• yankeesrbest says:

I hope the Yankees don’t need him. As a Yankees fan, if he doesn’t want to be a Yankee then I don’t want him on my team. He can grow his hair elsewhere. Let’s just see how much winning he does.

2. Barry's Gift Basket says:

Fuck him then.

Let him grow his fucking beard somewhere else.

3. JW says:

Actually, the Yankees need to get stricter, and ban mustaches. That hideous picture of Joba!

4. Hall and Nokes says:

Okay well on to Sergio Romo then.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

If we’re going with a Sergio, I’d prefer Mitre.

And I’m sure Girardi would too.

5. Midnight Rider says:

looks like the Yankee Village is having a hard time getting used to the fact they are the cougar at the bar and a closing time fall back option instead of the hot bartender everybody wants to fuck…

6. Chip says:

/Emperor’d

7. dkidd says:

everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth

tyson’d

8. joshfortunatus says:

cc wearing his hat at an angle is too old school for david price.

9. gageagainstthemachine says:

If you choose a f*#$ing beard over becoming one of the highest paid pitchers in baseball…on one of the best, most storied, and proudest teams in baseball…that contends annually and has 27 World Series championships (27 more than David Price’s Rays will even see in their dreams, let alone reality)…well then, you, Mr. Price, have a hell of a lot of growing up to do. Seriously.

• Dale Mohorcic says:

Eh, if he can get $200M from the Dodgers or Sux or someone else and keep his beard, who are we to judge?

• gageagaintthemachine says:

My point is more about the absurdity of eliminating a team and a huge contract because of a facial hair policy (try getting a real job David Price, where they’ll dictate a lot more than your facial hair and you’ll get paid a TON less). Now, the added Yankee stuf was just my bias as a Yankee fan reacting to such a stupid position. Pay me a ONE million dollars to pitch and I’ll wear MC Hammer pants everytime I take the mound. Prima donnas in professional sports almost make the game(s) unbearable at times.

• Dale Mohorcic says:

Has your employer ever told you that you can’t grow a beard? Not that I’m a fan of the Jayson Werth caveman look, but its kind of a dumb rule. Shave those sideburns, Mattingly!

10. Kate Conroy says:

“FUTURE YANKEE” is a big presumption to make under this new Yankees regime and also not an accurate one either.

The Yankees are not going to spend money like the old days in the future, as Hal Steinbrenner clearly stated that you can win with a lower payroll.

Well unfortunately for Hal, other teams are now stepping up and giving Yankees-sized contracts to players. This works big time in favor of top players, like Price. The Yankees would not spend this season to field a championship caliber club, as letting Martin walk will be this team’s downfall so you cannot really make statements like you did in this article anymore.

Yankees are the richest sports franchise in the USA, third in the world so this frugality will be backfire on them when the team stops winning.

It makes no sense for the Yankees to not spend money to increase their chances to win. Winning makes them more dough than not, and consider Hal & Co. raised ticket prices this season and pulled out of StubHub agreement is not sitting well here in NYC.

• Govin says:

Kate, David Price as a future Yankee is a running joke here.

• DC says:

I feel it is presumptuous to state “letting Martin walk will be this team’s downfall so you cannot really make statements like you did in this article anymore”. Martin is/was not the key to this team’s success and has no bearing on whether Price or others will eventually be a Yankee.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

“Future Yankee David Price” is kinda a running meme around here…

• herby says:

how many big contracts are these other teams willing to step up and give out? Will it be to the same level as what the Yankees will be able to do. I see the current situation with the team not as frugality, but as a waiting game for older contracts to clear out. As well as not spending foolishly on players that really weren’t worth the contracts they were getting. The FA class of this year wasn’t that stunning, letting Martin go isn’t going to make or break the team. As it stands there are some holes, but it’s still a pretty damn good team.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Frugality =/= having the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.

And you really think that letting Martin walk will be the Yankees downfall? If you want to complain about losing a FA, Swisher was a much bigger loss than Martin.

11. amanda says:

Yanks may take alfonso soriano back i like it !

12. Govin says:

After skimming through some pictures of David Price. I have one thing to say, David you are no Brian Wilson. Get over yourself and take the money.

13. Murderers' Row Boat says:

So does that mean we can give Bryce Harper the “Future Yankee” title now?

14. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

PR people: I smell a razor endorsement when he gets here.

15. Mike says:

Everyone assumes Hal wont spend on Price in three years. I bet the team is sold by then! The way they are trying to trim payroll plus the fact Hal is not as into the Yanks like his father was tells me that he will sell the team in three years or less.

16. bkight13 says:

I personally feel the facial hair ban is silly. Players have tattoos, wear multiple chains and necklaces, but a goatee is out of bounds. I’m not saying that they should look like the RedSox, but a player’s appearance has nothing to do with their performance.

• Mike HC says:

I agree. The facial fair thing should be a thing of the past.

• vicki says:

macro/micro. i’m all for personal liberties but goatees are just stupid. how has this white trash trend not died yet? i love that i don’t have to watch a parade of muffs and topiaries when i watch my team.

• LK says:

At the very least, the policy should just be a small fine for having facial hair. These guys are grown men.

• bkight13 says:

I would actually like to see a player challenge the rule. What could they really do about it? The MLBPA would definitely have a say about it.

• KeithK says:

I’m not sure they could really challenge it. Rules about personal appearance are common in this country and non-controversial. The only real exception is for religious reasons. Unless there is something in the CBA that precludes this type of rule (which I bet there isn’t) then a player is pretty much out of luck. The penalty for refusing would likely be a suspension without pay for violation of team rules. Now whether Hal and Co. would stick to their guns and suspend if (for example) CC decided to grow a beard is a different question.

Personally I’m all in favor of the rule. I see some of the players on other teams who look like absolute idiots and I’m grateful that isn’t allowed in the Bronx.

17. Mike HC says:

I remember stories about him maybe wanting to quit baseball when he was in college. I can definitely see him not wanting to sign with the Yankees and also can believe that he will not necessarily just sign with whatever team offers him the most money.

18. Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

Seems players will say everything for leverage now a days…” The groupies in New York have been with every guy”

19. CS Yankee says:

Cashman: Our offer is 5/125, Mr. David Price to pitch for the NYY.

Price: That’s too long to go without a beard, no thanks!

Cash: Keep the beard, and it’ll be a 5/120 offer.

Price: You are supplying the razors, right?

20. free speech says:

WHAT AN A HOLE….STAY IN TAMPA YOU ARE SMALL TIME

21. Barry says:

some people look good with facial hair, Price isn’t one of them.

22. Ryan says:

He doesn’t have to shave that dirt on his chin, he could just have his dog lick it off. Astro is it?

23. RobA says:

Of course Price wouldn’t give up any significant money to keep his beard….If NY was the highest bidder by $5 or $10 million, of course he would take it. But that’s almost certainly not going to happen, theres several teams splashing around Yankee-esque money now, and when the money is the same, then yeah, these little things matter. NY is not going to be able to flat outbid, say, the Dodgers for Price. And when it comes down to it, it really could be that NY loses out on probably the best pitcher in FA for several years because of their arcane policy. Maybe it’s “dumb” for him to let something stupid influence such a big decision…but the reverse is also true….isn’t it “dumb” for the Yankees to do same? Because that’s what they’re doing. Because at the end of the day, there is always going to be at least one team matching NY’s offer for Price, they aren’t outbidding everyone anymore.

It’s not about the facial hair PER SE, it’s Price doesn’t like Big Brother poking his nose where it doesn’t belong. You hire the guy to pitch, fine, then you have authority over everything related to that. You don’t get to decide things that don’t affect his pitching, like who he bangs, or what car he drives, or what kind of facial hair he grows.

It’s a generational thing, and more and more players are going to have the same attitude as Price in the coming years. So for you guys who support this ridiculous rule, do you support it enough to miss out on some basebal players that you might really want/need?

24. lordal says:

Black Jack pitched for the Yankees in 1995 . The Yankees bend the rules and allowed McDowell to have a goatee and the rest of the team to grow goatees for that year There were a number of Yankees that year that sported a goatee Donnie baseball and a number of outfielders and Jimmy Leritz had goatees that year so these Yankee fan should just get over it

25. lordal says:

Louis Tiant Dick Tidrow Goose Gossage Heathcliff Johnson All had monster Fu Manchus. Chris Chamblis his first year in 1974 had monster sideburns

26. Peter Lacock says:

In addition to rules about personal hygiene, the Yankees also have rules about attire and personal conduct.
    People can call it old school, stupid, silly or whatever they want,
    I call it class.

Jeter will make Price duck and tell him he better shave.

27. RetroRob says:

Fact: Not a single player has not signed with the Yankees because of their no-beard policy.

Fact: The Yankees never even have discussions with players about the team’s facial-hair policy. They sign ‘em, then they shave.

Welcome to the Yankees, Mr. Price.

28. vicki says:

donnie really needs to grow back the stache.

29. Alibaba says:

While I agree that he will not let the no-facial-hair policy stop him from signing with the Yankees, I found this policy to be a bit too restrictive. Some men look better in nicely trimmed beard.

30. Cuso says:

Price doesn’t know how good he has it in Tampa – where nobody cares about anything.

If your manager dyes his hair a different color each day, of course he’ll feel comfortable saying that he’d never “go anywhere” that had a dress code or facial hair code.

31. rek4gehrig says:

Money talks and we all know what walks!!!

32. RobA says:

Regardles, it goes both ways. If David Price is ridiculous for not signing with the Yankees because he wants a beard then the Yanks are equally so by letting one of the best pitchers in baseball go to another team just because they want him to shave.

And its not like Price is going to “gice up” $160 milllion so he doesnt have to shave. He’ll just take that $160 million from the Angels or Dodgers or Rangers or Nats etc.

33. jjyank says:

Color me not surprised in the slightest of this backtrack.

34. Ryan says:

Now they should make him dry shave when he gets here ….. Bitch boy!

35. Govin says:

Sounds like David Price heard about the Yankees plan to dump the celery cap. Interesting.

36. Magilla Gorilla Mama Called me Roy tho says:

Of course, Tampa will trade him out of the AL East to a team that will get a 24 hour window to negotiate a long term deal with Price. Unlikely that he will ever play for the Pinstripes.

37. RetroRob says:

I think it’s all pretty funny and never took it seriously. Of course he will pitch on the Yankees, minus beard, if they make the best offer.

38. mt says:

I think there are 3 larger points

1) TB has not had a lot of stars until recently and normally TB either trades them away or locks them up (Longoria) – Carl Crawford is the only TB free agent who was widely coveted and he went straight for the most money(Bosox) so if we continue to stick to the $189 million budget in future will we not have wherewithal to blow away competition with dollars when we bid for free agents that may balk at Yankees culture. In that case I certainly can see TB stars not wanting to come to the more corporate culture of the Yankees after being in free wheeling college type culture of Maddon. I see “idiot” Johnny Damon as an exception because he wanted to go back to Boston and then Boston futzed around and then came up short with dollars/years ( in other words, he was not an open free agent from the first day of free agency). If Price hits free agency for his first big contract, it would be a total free-for-all.

2) TB will probably trade Price for a haul of prospects to someone (Cubs, Angels, Red Sox) with a year or year and a half left on contarct and that team will have a window to sign him long-term before trade is completed and that team will blow him away – will he turn down a mega contract a year before free agency just so he can still hit free agency – I doubt he hits free agency.

3) Yankees have chnaged from the absolute mission of either winning World Series or season being total failure – i.e., the George way – now we hear talk of “champiosnhip caliber” and success is getting into playoffs – which are a crapshoot – maybe,as we move away from George’s years, they should take also take a look at facial policy – I see nothing wrong with neat beards or mustaches – maybe just ban the Brian Wilson type farces. Price does have a nugget of truth in what he says in terms of younger players.

4) his back track is so shameless and transparent that it is laughable – his original statement was talking about his beard and his desires – he never questioned the Yankees as a great organizationin general – there was no reason for him to back track on his personal issue with the policy except his agent told him that it could hurt his market to remove Yankees as a potentail bidder. I think he meant it and given a choice (and what I think would be close dollars) he would not come here (facial policy is also just one part of Yankee corporate culture that some cannot handle.) Rememember a couple of years ago when Carl Crawford seemed insulted that reporters from Yankees would question him about tagging up and getting thrown out at third by Yankees to lose a game for TB and his take was “we take chances here – that’s the TB way – and everything does not need to be explained” – maybe that is the way it is in Tampa but in Yankee land everything is micro-analyzed and second-guessed.

39. trr says:

I’ve had a ‘stash/goatee for nigh on 20 yrs, and I’d be happy to shave it for a few bucks.

If anybody wants to donate, I’ll let you know where to send the $$$

The moral: Money Talks, Facial Hair Walks

40. hogsmog says:

But some of my best friends are Yankees, honest!