Feb

Open Thread: 2/12 Camp Notes

Michael Pineda threw off a full mound today. (John Munson/Star-Ledger)

Michael Pineda threw off a full mound today. (Star-Ledger)

The first day of Spring Training, when pitchers and catchers report, isn’t exactly the busiest day as far as news go. I’ve already recapped Joe Girardi‘s press conference, but here are some other random notes from Tampa…

• Yogi Berra won’t be in camp as a guest instructor this year. He is in good health and plans to be at the Stadium this summer, but traveling down to Florida is a bit of a chore at 87 years old. Jorge Posada, however, is in camp as a guest instructor. [Dan Martin & Bryan Hoch]
  • CC Sabathia said having elbow surgery to clean out a bone spur in October was “a relief.” He said he has better range of motion and doesn’t feel an “ache” when he extends to finish pitches. Sabathia is down to 290 lbs. and called it his ideal weight. He’ll throw his first bullpen on Thursday. [Jack Curry & Hoch]
  • Austin Romine dropped 13 pounds this winter and his back feels “absolutely fantastic.” He, obviously, has a golden opportunity to make the team this spring. [Chad Jennings & Hoch]
  • If you care about uniform numbers, then you’ll be happy to know Frankie Cervelli reclaimed his old #29 now that Rafael Soriano is gone. David Phelps switched to #35, which Michael Pineda wore last spring. Pineda switched to #43. [all Mark Feinsand]
  • Kenji Nimura, who served as Hiroki Kuroda‘s interpreter with the Dodgers and last year with the Yankees, is now doing the same job with the Rangers for Yu Darvish. I’m sure the Yankees dug up a capable replacement. [David Lennon]
  • And finally, Mariano Rivera has received permission to report to camp late. He’ll be in Tampa tomorrow. Nothing new here, this has been going on for years. [Jennings]

Here is your open thread for the night. The Rangers and Devils are both playing, but talk about whatever you like here. Enjoy.

1. vicki says:

kind of sad about yogi. anybody who hasn’t read ‘driving mr. yogi’ oughta. two of the top ten people on earth you’d like to be friends with.

but jorgie’s presence will compensate some. i heart jorgie.

2. MANNYGEEE is being serious... BECAUZE HE'Z IN ALL CAPZ! says:

So, CC is done to his pre-traveling and eating like shit weight as per the usual off season routine. He’s gonna be 200 pounds when he retires. Unless he takes a job with a team in a coaching capacity, in which case he’s gonna go the way of Joba The Hut

3. Preston says:

Seriously how dumb are the Dbacks “Gregorius did not take a physical at the time of the trade”, people call out the Yanks for buying “damaged” good in the Pineda trade. But they actually did unknowingly trade for damaged goods. Even if you want to make the deal regardless use the medicals as leverage to get more.

4. What’s crazy to me is that 290lbs to CC is the ideal weight. My ideal weight is 175, that guy is a monster of a human being.

5. Havok9120 says:

I saw the Open Thread titled as “Camp Notes” and my heart skipped a beat. I forgot about the daily camp notes in the Open Thread.

Baseball is officially back! w00t

6. trr says:

would LOVE to see Romine make the team out of spring traing!

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

Yes please.

• jjyank says:

I’ve been on the record before saying that I’d like to see this as well. He’d have to earn the shit out of it though, of course.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

Yep, because if all of them suck (and remain healty) in ST, i think the Yankees are taking Stewart and Cervelli north.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I think you’re right. I just think that Romine at least offers some upside there, though. By no means do I want the Yankees to hand him the job, but I would really love nothing more than to see him force their hand.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

Sure, he offers more upside than Cervelli and Stewart.

Didn’t he cracked some (as in all) top 100 prospects lists a couple of years ago?

And another question came to my mind, who was a higher rated prospect Romine or the one of the red sox (Lavarnway)?

• Preston says:

Romine was number 98 in the 2011 BA rankings after a nice showing in his first season at AA. I don’t think Lavarnway was ever ranked, but with Romine’s injuries I think a lot of people consider him the better prospect now, although there are legitimate questions about whether he can stick at C (and his bat isn’t good enough to play elsewhere).

7. forensic says:

Hooray for baseball being back!!!

8. Now Batting says:

I’m sure this will roll some eyes, but if Pineda is throwing off a full mound already (and he looks like he’s extending it pretty well) doesn’t the all-star break sound overly conservative?

• MANNYGEEE is being serious... BECAUZE HE'Z IN ALL CAPZ! says:

Anything in 2013 (considering the possibilities of setbacks) is optimistic, IMO. Got to think of him like Aardsma of 2013.

• jjyank says:

I’m not so sure about that. I think the all-star break is very possible, not necessarily optimistic. I think whatever we get from Pineda in 2013 is gravy, but I’m pretty sure we’ll get something.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

Agreed, we’ll get gravy, wait and see.
          Nevertheless, this is not the most important year for Pineda in pinstripes, is next year.

• vin says:

Without doing any research on pitchers recovering from labrum surgery… yes, the All-Star Break sounds very do-able. I think its a hope for the best, prepare for the worst kind of thing.

• CountryClub says:

The Drs last yr said he’d be pitching 12 months after surgery. Sounds like he’s perfectly on schedule. The yanks will probably go slower than they should, but that’s understandable. But to answer your question, it sounds like he should be pitching in the minors well before the break.

My guess is that the yanks hope they don’t have a glaring need in the staff. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and Hughes, nova & phelps can handle the 4/5 spots. Yanks probably would be happy if they could keep him down there until Sept call ups. I’m sure Pineda would not be happy, ha.

• LK says:

If I had to guess (and keep in mind this is entirely made up bullshit), he probably won’t really be airing it out for quite some time.

• Laz says:

They will probably sit him in AAA for a month at least after he gets off the dl. If they do that they can get back the extra year of team control.

9. forensic says:

Just have to say, good riddance finally (it appears) to Christopher Dorner.

• Matt says:

ditto, the deceased cops and their families are in my prayers

• RetroRob says:

CNN mentioned earlier that some 84-year-old woman was watching the broadcast and noticed it was her home Dorner was holed up in. Wonder how she feels seeing it burn to the ground on TV. Her son is also a firefighter, which a bit ironic.

I sure hope she doesn’t have Allstate as her insurance. They’ll probably refuse to pay out for the home after they tell her she didn’t have the “act of police department” rider. Yeah, they suck.

• forensic says:

It may suck, but they’re doing the right thing so she’ll have to understand.

If he was somehow still alive and her son went there to put out the fire, I bet she’d be less happy if he didn’t make it out alive, or even if he was just caught with exploding ammunition or whatever else might be in there with him.

• RetroRob says:

I wasn’t questioning the act. If it was my home I would understand, although I would not be happy! Considering this is not even her primary home, I’m guessing she’ll be fine until it’s rebuilt, if she even bothers. She still owns the land, and that’s the value.

I, however, stand by my comments regarding Allstate.

10. djyank says:

hey axisa,

mike carp post in the morning, k?

he’s got some pop

11. Barry's Gift Basket says:

Man, Pineda throwing of a full mound!!
    There is hope fellows.

12. Dalek Jeter says:

It’s officially a new season, the new (and permanent) handle is it’s own now.

Baseball is now officially almost, almost back. Best part about this season is I’ll be able to watch most of the games if I eschew my (potential) social life because I’m not working Monday-Wednesday nights this season. So the douche who complained about me constantly complaining about Suzyn and John won’t have anything to post about this season :)

13. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? (formerly Aunelowitzky) says:

Better than watching the SOTU address is watching the VP and The Speaker respond to what he’s saying….so funny.

14. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? (formerly Aunelowitzky) says:

Mike Piazza on the Daily Show tonight…

15. barry says:

Superhuman x12 on Tosh.0 was pretty classic. Got beat out in about 5 seconds by that transvestite.

16. Mickey Scheister says:

So after some researching I’m about 99.8% that CC could out produce Stewart in almost all offensive categories. I know that defense is important but a large part of me is hoping Romine or Sanchez get rushed because I’m fairly confident that they could out produce the current tandem.

17. OldYanksFan says:

PECOTA – American League, ranked by projected 2013 record
    AL East Updated….. W.. L. RS.. RA.. AVG .OBP .SLG. TAv
    New York Yankees. 92 70 804 691 .263 .332 .416 .268
    Boston Red Sox…… 86 76 807 757 .263 .332 .430 .269
    Tampa Bay Rays….. 86 76 736 685 .244 .323 .397 .269
    Toronto Blue Jays.. 85 77 786 746 .261 .326 .432 .268
    Baltimore Orioles.. 74 88 711 782 .256 .319 .419 .261

18. Paco Dooley says:

Seeing Pineda on the mound makes me think that a strong return to form by Pineda could really save this teams rear.

I still see them as a roughly 90 win team, but if their pitching can play at the top end of their projections, then this team could push well into the 90s. I think Kuroda and Pettitte will regress, but imagine the *potential* if they do not, while Nova returns to form, Hughes remains solid and Pineda comes back in June and is dominant (CC, Kuroda, Pettitte, Hughes, Pineda and Nova – 6 potentially very good starters).

• Mainer says:

Nova returning to form is a must. The kid lost the best part of his game last season….HIS GUTS.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

So he just shits out food whole now? Ouch.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Well, Nova or Phelps performing well is a must. If Nova performs as he did last year, then Phelps needs to be good enough to replace him (and then some).

Unless, of course, the unthinkable happens and CC pitches like we know CC can, Kuroda repeats last season’s performance, Pettite pitches like he did as well, but without the injury, and Hughes shows that he’s a solid MLB pitcher. Then, Nova’s performance from last season will be just fine, but we all know none of these guys can repeat what they did last year. So yeah, Nova is the key.

19. Mainer says:

Very glad to see Pineda progressing. Still have high hopes for him