Feb

Open Thread: 2/14 Camp Notes

It rained. They ran anyway. (Star-Ledger)

It rained. They ran anyway. (Star-Ledger)

It was raining in parts of Florida today, so a bunch of teams had to limit or flat-out cancel today’s workouts. The Yankees managed to get some work in though, but there’s not much to update…

Here’s your open thread for the evening. The Rangers and Islanders are playing (each other!), and that’s pretty much it for local sports. Talk about that game or anything else here. Enjoy.

1. Nebkreb says:

Thought that said ‘contusion-related’ and thought CC had a contusion on his arm. Freaked out for 3 seconds.

2. Pat D says:

My very quick summation of A Good Day to Die Hard: A shining example of why franchises are probably best to stop at 3.

3. Dalek Jeter says:

So instead of doing the safe thing and waiting for a degree before applying to work on a congressman or senator’s campaign and hopefully then getting a job after said congressman or senator won, I’ve just applied to work on NJ’s future democratic nomaniee for governor, State Senator Barbara Buono. Early polls say she’s going to get destroyed next fall by Christie, but the connections I can make w/ the D-Triple-C as well as the position I could potentially be offered by applying this early to such a small campaign make it worth it for me.

Honestly, if this works out, I could look back at this as the biggest career move of my life…wish me luck guys.

4. jjyank says:

That’s an awesome picture. They look like little kids, I love it.

5. art vandelay says:

Hey Mike – Or anyone for that matter -

I noticed somewhere (lohud maybe?) that it seems like a lot of people, hughes, phelps, some minor leaguers, are throwing a lot earlier than normal to prepare for spring training. Do you think this is something coming from the new minor league pitching coordinator ? They replaced him right? Just something I noticed. It’ll be interesting to see if some of these guys wear down or if it strengthens them.

• Havok9120 says:

It was LoHud. Jennings said the whole minor league training schedule started pretty early in the calendar year. Hughes wasn’t mentioned as I recall. He didn’t say whether this was a Yankee phenomenon or not.

6. Ethan says:

Despite the fact that most of you are hundreds of miles away, would anyone like to write my multivariate calculus midterm tomorrow for me?

7. You should have shot Arod says:

Youlklis still a douche i will always be a Redsox and then stayed away from Joba in the clubhouse.
    This is not how Boggs or Damon even Clemens acted. Cant wait till he gets hurt and gets blasted by NY
    Sports stations.

8. Craig says:

Thoughts on today, the most pointless holiday:

9. Alkaline says:

Haven’t had time to keep up with the blog much due to work. I’m excited for the multiple posts per day with information on actual baseball stuff. Mike, thanks for making the off season easier to go through.

I hope to keep up more with the game threads, etc. this year. I also love the fact Phelps is working hard to get ahead on that competition.

10. Now Batting says:

The one day a year I’m absolutely ecstatic that I’m single.

11. OldYanksFan says:

As of the time of this post, the results of ‘Paying Robinson Cano’ are as follows:

With 1946 votes counted:
    36% of RAB commenters said: 7 / $142m
    30% of RAB commenters said: Let him walk
    16% of RAB commenters said: 8 / $180m
    13% of RAB commenters said: 8 / $160m
    5% of RAB Are INSANE!!!!!!!!!!! (9 / $214m or ANYTHING!!! (Jetered)).

So fully 2/3rds of us are prepared to say Goodbye to Mr. Cano…. because we all know 7/$142m won’t get it done.

Interesting. The ‘Teix Rodriguez’ effect is in full force.

• Bob Buttons says:

I’d call it “Old guys gonna get old and make us cringe watching them take at bats because they won’t produce much and the damn NY media will remind us of their salary every single chance they got but that is still better than them missing 100 games due to injury because they are so damn old and they got brittle bones, and not the good brittle like peanut brittle” effect

• MannyGeee says:

Please backtrack and find the “Victory Lap Theory” that was posted back then. If memory serves, it surfaced somewhere around Cliff Lee. I will not bastardize it here by describing it… but it fits.

• jjyank says:

I think that was born out of a discussion from me and R-Tils. Any contract for a free agent star on the wrong side of 30 will include a Victory Lap. But sometimes, the Lap is worth it.

• MannyGeee says:

Yeah, I knew R-Tils was in play. Didn’t remember if it was you or Dalek that was part of it too.

And fuck yes, Another 3-5 years of prime to still very goddam good Cano seasons would be worth 2-3 years of victory lap.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll take full credit for the “Victory Lap” and stand by it.

Suddenly it’s fashionable to hate all long-term deals. Fashion can go fuck itself.

• Bob Buttons says:

I still say no to Cano because yelling at a TV angrily for over 2-3 years isn’t good for my personal health.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind paying Cano 25M a year. Just not for 7 or 8.

• 6/$130M is my final offer to you Mr. Cano, take it or leave it.

• Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

I would give him 8/$180 in 5 seconds, why? Because I know he will get a bigger contract, not neccesarily in overall value but in AAV definately

12. Pat D says:

Nothing screams Valentine’s Day like a Halloween-themed episode of Community.

13. Tim Tebow says:

Who runs in the rain while wearing a shirt? #Amateurs

14. trr says:

Damn, love that pic!

15. Govin says:

Heres a hypothetical, There are two baseball teams playing against each other. One team has the best players over forty. The second has the best players under eighteen(or twenty you choose)which team would be better.
    The ages are as of this year.

• Havok9120 says:

The 18 year olds would be my bet, and I’m not convinced it would be particularly close. I mean, do we have enough 40+ guys you can still play the field to put a team together?

• RetroRob says:

Does he mean the best 40-year-olds vs. the best 18-year-olds playing in professional baseball today? Or it all time?

The main advantage the 40-year-old squad would be on the pitching side. A weak-ass, crafty 40-year-old would totally exploit the pitch recognition of the kid squad. A still-solid 40-year-old like Andy Pettitte, for example, would easily burn through the teenagers. They wouldn’t know what hit them.

Beyond that, I have no idea!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

40 year olds REPRESENT!

• Bob Buttons says:

First I’ll assume that you mean current baseball players

People under 20 are most often still in the minors learning the finer points of baseball (and how to hit a curve ball) so I’ll take the 40 year olds.

Just have Andy go six innings, two more guys for two innings and Mo out for the last inning.

16. Robinson Tilapia says:

Widow Jane
    Larceny
    Bulliet 10 Yr.

Bourbons you should try.

17. vicki says:

mike a, HOW do you top that picture tomorrow?

(you don’t.)