Feb

Open Thread: 2/22 Camp Notes

(Star-Ledger)

(Star-Ledger)

After two weeks of workouts, the Yankees will play their first Spring Training game tomorrow afternoon. Oh happy day. Here are Friday’s notes from Tampa…

• Mariano Rivera faced hitters for the first time since injuring his knee last May. He threw 20 pitches in a live batting practice session and everything went well. “It feels good, real good,” he said afterwards while acknowledging the need for “one or two more BPs” before appearing in a game. [Jack Curry, Jayson Stark & Adam Berry]
  • CC Sabathia threw his third bullpen session of the spring following offseason elbow surgery. He threw 40 pitches and said he “felt good … no problems.” [Erik Boland]
  • Derek Jeter has continued to ramp up his workouts and hasn’t had any trouble with his surgically repaired left ankle. “I’ve been stepping it (up) every day,” he said. “Every day I do more and more.” [Joel Sherman]
  • Chad Jennings has the day’s batting practice and bullpen assignments. David Robertson, Andy Pettitte, Clay Rapada, and David Aardsma were the projected big leaguers to face hitters in addition to Rivera while Ivan Nova joined Sabathia in the bullpen. Everyone hit as far as I can tell.
  • Mark Montgomery (back sprain) threw in the bullpen without incident. He feels fine and will face hitters on Sunday. Phil Hughes (bulging disk), meanwhile, called his progress “significant.” [Jennings]
  • The Yankees announced their travel roster for tomorrow’s Grapefruit League opener, which will not be televised. Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, Eduardo Nunez, Frankie Cervelli, Austin Romine, Dan Johnson, Melky Mesa, Slade Heathcott, Tyler Austin, Corban Joseph, Juan Rivera, and starter David Phelps are among those who will make the trip to Lake Buena Vista to face the Braves.
  • Switch-pitcher Pat Venditte will pitch for Team Italy in the World Baseball Classic, but his father confirmed he will only pitch left-handed. Venditte is still rehabbing from right labrum surgery and hasn’t been cleared to throw off a mound with that arm yet.
  • Jorge Posada arrived in camp for his stint as a guest instructor. He made sure to say he has “no interest in playing ball,” so forget about that comeback attempt even though he’s probably the best catcher in camp. [Curry & Jennings]

Here is your open thread for the night. The Knicks and Nets are playing, so talk about those games or anything else here. Enjoy.

1. Barry's Gift Basket says:

Tomorrow’s will be on mlb.tv??

2. Barry's Gift Basket says:

I miss Jorge so much… and Girardi probably is the second best catcher in camp.

half kidding.

• Mickey P says:

Cervelli slated to start the game tomorrow with Romine and Stewart set to make the trip aswell. Here’s hoping the competition will bring out the best of our catching core.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

Yeah, no… the thing is that the best of our catching core, well, kinda sucks.

Romine has the “upside” so i’m hoping he comes as the winner of that competition.

• forensic says:

Stewart isn’t making the trip, according to what I saw.

• Mickey P says:

You’re correct. Stewart is not making the trip. My apologies. The best of our catching core does “suck”. But, being an optimist, I’m just hoping a competitive spring will push these guys to more than what they are. Hoping being the key word.

• forensic says:

I’m among the highest here in terms of Cervelli. If he hits around hit ML averages, the offensive drop-off from Martin won’t be nearly what people are predicting.

Defensively, I think Martin was a bit overrated, but Cervelli still has some work to do to reach that point.

Not nearly as optimistic on Romine or Stewart, but at least Romine has youth and a potential future going for him in terms of wanting him to play. Stewart’s got nothing.

• forensic says:

*hits around his ML averages…*

• Mickey P says:

I completely agree that Stewart has next to nothing. If Romine has a more impressive spring would you give him the opening day job over Cervelli? I would give it serious consideration even if it stunts his development given his questionable future with the club.

• forensic says:

Eh, I doubt it. Unless he somehow tears the cover off the ball and Cervelli can’t do anything at the plate and can only hit Gardner when trying to throw someone out at second, I’d probably still stick with Cervelli.

Really though, I’d keep both active, dump Stewart, and find any other warm body to stow in AAA until possibly necessary (along with Wilson). Unfortunately, there’s almost no chance they do that.

• Mickey P says:

Haha unfortunately you’re probably right. I doubt we’ll see much of Romine this year. Also, if he gets injured or doesn’t improve, we’ll be looking at 2014 as another year of unproductive catchers behind the plate. That is of course barring a trade or a substantial improvement from Sanchez.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Unless Cervelli has improved a lot defensively over what he’s showed in the past, I think we’re going to be seeing a lot of Chris Stewart. Probably a 60/40 split with Cervelli, not sure who ends up with the 60 though.

3. Ethan says:

Is the game tomorrow on mlb.tv?

4. Pat D says:

After the game, the team will head to the Magic Kingdom and pretend they just won the Super Bowl. Since…that’s where the Super Bowl MVP always goes.

Meanwhile I’ve got about 12 hours to finish my anthropology mid-term. I think it’s going to take all 12 hours.

Also, let me ask this of everyone. I tried to ask this in the chat. But how much are all of you guys out there looking forward to the day where you can teach your son how to throw a baseball as well as that guy in the VW Passat commercial?

• MANNYGEEE says:

Hehehe… That commercial makes me extremely uncomfortable. I don’t have a fantastic arm (more of a glove man), but that just makes it go up inside me…

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

To answer your question;

I haven’t seen the comercial but i’m pretty much working my ass of to be able to aford my wedding, have a kid and play catch with him. As the slogan goes; I live for this!

5. dkidd says:

notice how many pictures since the start of camp have shown players laughing and smiling?

spring training makes people happy

6. MANNYGEEE says:

Don’t know if you guys have seen these yet, but they’re awesome. (SFW)

H/T “Mikes other woman” (CBSSports)

7. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

The Yankees are now officially the “Evil Empire”

“In short, the record shows that there is only one Evil Empire in baseball and it is the New York Yankees,” wrote the judges. “Accordingly, we find that [the Yankees] have a protectable trademark right in the term . . . as used in connection with baseball.”

• forensic says:

That was 2002??? Geez that’s a long time ago. Doesn’t feel like 11 years for some reason.

• Pat D says:

Wait, the lawyer for the other side said the term “Evil Empire” has been used in conjunction with the Phillies and Rangers? I don’t believe that for a second. You could show me proof and I still won’t believe it.

8. Home Grown Talent says:

Any word on the radio broadcast this year. Is any day below 65 degrees going to result in 2 hours of complaints about cold dreary weather?

9. forensic says:

Warren, Nuno, Ramirez starting the next three games, all on TV (after the non-televised Phelps game).

Kind of sucks that we don’t get to see the real MLer’s yet, but at least each of them has some semblance of intrigue to give you a reason to watch.

10. deanland says:

I believe Sunday’s 1PM game will be heard on 880 WCBS.

11. Pat D says:

Music not to use to put your loved ones to sleep.

12. Govin says:

I watched the Video on the side, With Jack Curry talking to Slade Heathcott. Slade really made it sound like his hot streak in the fall league was due to him changing his approach at the plate, and tweaking his swing. I know that the fall league is very hitter friendly, but hearing this is still exciting.
    On the note of fall league Montys performance in there makes me even more excited to see him in some games.

13. Havok9120 says:

According to Jennings some of the younger guys were pretty jealous of Segedin and Roller because they got to face Mo for his BP session today. One of them said: “how many more chances will there be?”

It always makes me smile when one of the kids goes: “Holy shit, I’m in camp with Derek Jeter and Mariano freaking Rivera.”