Feb

Open Thread: 2/25 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

The Yankees lost to the Orioles this afternoon in a generally uneventful contest. Brett Gardner was the headliner for New York, going 3-for-3 with a bunt single. He slid head-first into first base in his first at-bat of the day, roughly 24 hours after Curtis Granderson fractured his forearm. Hopefully someone smacks some sense into him. No need to do that in February, especially after your 40-homer teammate got hurt.

Anyway, Jayson Nix had a pair of knocks behind Gardner and that’s pretty much it. Frankie Cervelli went hitless in three at-bats and was the only other projected big leaguer to play. The good news is that no one else got hurt today, thankfully. Here is the box score and here are my Corey Black .GIFs from earlier. As for the rest of the day’s news from Tampa…

Here is your open thread for the night. None of the basketball or hockey locals are in action, but MLB Network will air a pair of Spring Training game, so hooray for that. Who you see depends on where you live. Talk about that stuff or anything else here. Go nuts.

1. Alex Rodriguez says:

I hope Cashman considers bringing Damon back.

• jesse says:

I hope he doesn’t

• Alex Rodriguez says:

It’s not like Juan Rivera or Matt Diaz have something to bring to the table…

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Rivera brings the ability to hit lefties at a better than average rate.
          Not sure Damon brings anything other than fond memories.

That said, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea to give Damon a look on a non-guaranteed basis.

• Alex Rodriguez says:

Damon says he doesn’t care for the money. He says he wants to play LF until Grandy comes back and then wants to be released. I’m fine with that idea.

• jjyank says:

And Damon was terrible last year. In 2011 he was decent against lefties, but that’s about it. He was barely above league average on both platoon sides in 2010.

If he wants to take a minor league deal and compete, fine. Anything more than that, no thanks.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This. Join the competition.

• MannyGeee says:

Yup. Yankees are not in the charity business. You wanna work for 6 weeks and earn some PT, then I am all for it.

That said, Damon might be hedging his bets that Pronk comes up lame just in time for Johnny’s bat to catch fire and earn himself an extended stay as the LHDH.

Well played Johnny, well played.

• Now Batting says:

All of this is perfectly reasonable and logical. I still can’t help and think that swing he tailored for the stadium could make a comeback.

• RetroRob says:

I’d have no issue if wanted to bring him to camp.

• W.B. Mason Williams says:

Shut up A-Rod you’re making the team bad enough as is.

• Mickey P says:

Girardi said Grandersons replacement is likely already in camp. Rivera, Diaz, Mustelier, Mesa, Garcia, and Almonte are the most likely options. I would bet at least three make the club. Obviously all of them can hit left handers somewhat. If it was my decision, I would take Rivera for his experience, Mustelier for his versatility, and Mesa for his athleticism. I’m really not sure which one i would start though.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

There’s a pretty good chance they only take 2 OF’s to go along with Gardner and Ichiro, especially considering the likely need for DH/rest days for Jeter and Youkilis, they are probably more likely to carry 2 BU IF than 2 BU OF.

• Mickey P says:

Yea that’s possible. I would take three just because the outfield is fairly weak right now. If they do take two, which two ae they?

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

No idea at this point. I would give Rivera the early lead on one of the spots. None of the options would shock me for the other. Mesa would probably give them the most flexibility (PR, defensive replacement, BU CF), and his already being on the 40-man roster likely gives him a bit of an edge.

• Laz says:

Well Gardner/Ichiro figure to be starting everyday. No point carrying 3 outfielders for 2 positions if you don’t have DH to rotate in too. Rather have Nunez/ util for infield because you know Jeter will need off days.

• trr says:

hope this is sarcasm of some kind

2. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Unless I missed something monumental from yesterday, there is a giant hole in RAB comments where Big Member’s take on what the solution to replacing Granderson should be.

3. Barry's Gift Basket says:

Spot on Gardner.

I mean, I can apreciate his will to get on base everytime and the intensity of his play but he HAS to stop that sliding head first thing!

It’s fucking february for fuck sake. If it was september or october and he goes and slides and he is called safe, fine, bravo, well done sir. But not now.

4. Travis L. says:

How did Nuno look? I see the results (1ER in 2.0IP with 5Ks), but I know that results dont show the whole story. Can anyone elaborate on that? Is he still considered a fluke or is he actually becoming a decent prospect?

• Bob Buttons says:

It was mentioned in the HOT .GIF post that Nuno got hit hard a few times.

And supposedly he’s not a top 30 prospect for most, if not all.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

I remember some of the first inning,

Reimold, first batter, hit it hard but right at the short stop so he became the first out.

Roberts hit a solid ground ball right past the third baseman it was a double.

Markakis, nice sequence K looking i think.

Jones hit it hard for a double over the CF head. O’s 1-0.

Wieters, nice sequence K looking.

Didn’t watch the secon inning.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

The game is currently on MLBnetwork, if interested in seeing for yourself.

5. Eddard: Back and better than never says:

No help will be arriving to fill in for Granderson so might as well not even think about it. Hal’s austerity budget and Hank’s 100 year extension for A-Rod have handcuffed Cashman, Girardi and the ballclub. Last year, if Swish and Gardner went down we could fill in with competent major leaguers and make up the difference with a powerful lineup. This year there is much less margin for error. Welcome to the life of nearly every other major league club.

The Yankees will have to adapt to win like the Jays and Os have learned and like the Rays do every season. The Sox are starting to catch on as well. You have to get younger, quicker and stop giving 7-10 year contracts to players just starting the downside of their career. Until that happens the brittle, old Yankees will continue to fall apart like the Phillies did last season.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Those must be some interesting handcuffs.

• Pat D says:

I’m just curious as to who you think they could get assuming there were no handcuffs.

And I’d love to hear how you think the Blue Jays and Orioles have adapted to win. The Blue Jays haven’t won shit and the Orioles were the luckiest team ever last year.

• MannyGeee says:

” The Sox are starting to catch on as well”

In #EddardWorld, you catch on in Spring Training and ride that bitch all the way to teh Octoberz… I can dig it

6. Eddard: Back and better than never says:

What they need to do is give Nuney more playing time. Gardner, Jeter, Cano, Teixera is a good 1-4. You lose the power at the 5 until Granderson is back so make up for it with speed. Nuney, Gardner and Ichiro would be a triple threat on the bases. With only two power hitters you play small ball, adapt to win. I kind of like this year how they only have two boom or bust players(Teixera and Granderson. Harness the power of hitting for contact, put the ball in play and you have a chance. Strike out and nothing good can ever happen.

7. Havok9120 says:

Does it amuse anyone else that Tom Brady’s extension pays him an AAV of 9 million dollars? I’m no Pats fan, but he’s one of the two or three best players at the most important position in the most popular game and his salary is middling, if that, for the MLB.

• jjyank says:

That’s why I don’t really buy into the whole “the new CBA is hurting the game” thing. Yes, there are draft restrictions, but baseball players make far, far more than athletes of other sports. As long as there is no hard salary cap, baseball will still have its appeal for two-way athletes.

• Dalek Jeter says:

If I was a two-way athlete, and my sports were baseball and football though, I think I’d take the latter. Especially if I was a top recruited football player out of high school, you get a top notch education basically for free, and the rules of the pro’s almost force you to get a Bachelors, so if the sports thing doesn’t work out for whatever reason…like you don’t live up to potential or get hurt or something, you have a fall back career. Where as baseball, if you’re signed out of high school you almost always go right to the pros, and lose out on the potential back up life.

• Laz says:

Not sure it’s that important. If you are crafty you can get a degree from instate schools pretty inexpensive. Would rather lock up that millions, and if you are smart with your money you are better off that, than risking injury in college.

• MannyGeee says:

I am of the mind that a great majority of professional athletes are not actually “scholars”. Which is why we hang on every word of a Curtis Granderson as if he’s Nostradamus when he is merely a bright guy.

Also, Ryan Fitzpatrick graduated (!) from Heaven Hahvid , you know…

This is not meant to take away from those two dudes, who I respect greatly for being intelligent AND “elite” athletes. But there are many many many many unintelligent pro athletes in the world… I don’t expect them to go get their degrees in night school when they could be going all Pacman Jones at the strip clubs instead.

• RetroRob says:

It is far, far better to be a MLB player than an NFL player.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

And yet Elway chose NFL.

You know, it’s easy to say now that he must have made the right choice, but then who knows? All he had to be was an above average, solid major leaguer and he has a less dangerous career that’s worth more money and probably lasts longer.

• Now Batting says:

I think you choose MLB over the NFL every time. The only exception I can see is if you’re a QB.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

It’s not necessarily MLB vs. NFL, though. Football is more of a sure thing if you have the talent and stay healthy, most two-way guys are incredibly raw, like Drew Henson, and never end up making it because all the athleticism in the world won’t help you if you can’t hit a sphere with a cylinder.

• Pat D says:

But he’s teh team playerz!!

It’s going to allow the team to keep bringing good players, blah, blah, blah. All that shit.

• Manny's Banwagon says:

I hate the Pats too but gotta give him credit for taking less than half of what he’s worth for the good of the team.

• Pat D says:

My comment was based more upon what the media will say about it endlessly since they never stop sucking Brady’s dick.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

He’s not getting paid any less from what I heard. They’ve just arranged it so that he’s getting the money as a signing bonus rather than his base salary.

• Manny's Banwagon says:

He took a way undermarket value extension.

Going rate for a QB of his quality is over $20 million per season.

• Bob Buttons says:

Random idea: maybe he took less so the Pats would have more cap space, allowing them to sign better players, therefore giving them(him) a better chance to win the SB.

8. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I’m not as good with prospects as many of you are. Is it possible that someone like Mustellier or Mesa could end up in left before Diaz or Rivera? Is Nunez the first option? What do we really know?

• Dalek Jeter says:

Are you talking about for Granderson’s fill in? Either way, Mustellier is considered a bit of a non-prospect because of his age, so he would really, really need to impress, and Mesa is looked at as a fringy, future bench player type, so I would say its’:
      Diaz
      Rivera
      Mesa
      Almonte
      Mustellier

• Barry says:

Musty not being young isn’t really a downside.. if he can hit them he’ll get the chance because his minor league stats with the stick are fat superior. IMO.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d imagine there’s a shot that Rivera/Diaz fight for a slot while there’s a real shot for a younger player to get the everyday gig.

I’d say Mustellier probably is slightly on the outside looking in because he’s not on the 40-man, or has options. If Zoilo or Mesa have a hot spring, and they outperform one of Diaz and Rivera, I could easily see them getting the first shot.

• Laz says:

Usually you discredit someone because of their age because they have been floating around the minors for years. Mustelier hasn’t even been in the system 2 years yet.

• Preston says:

No, you discredit them because they are older, so their ability to get bigger, stronger, faster and add polish to their approach is diminished. If he’d been doing something other than play baseball you might have a point. Mustelier has been playing in a professional baseball league for the last ten years as well as international tournaments. He is by far the most experienced and most polished player on every field he stepped on the last two years. That is why he is putting up gaudy numbers. He may be able to hit well enough to contribute. But because of his age and experience, his MiLB stats do not project to the big leagues the way a 22 yo’s would and need to be taken with a grain of salt.

9. Havok9120 says:

It works out pretty awesomely for the Mesa and the Yankees that Tony Pena is Team Dominican Republic’s manager.

10. Dalek Jeter says:

The Shield is the greasiest trio that I have ever seen.

#three straight weeks of wrestling talks on RAB.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I love it when indie guys hit the big time and put the others to shame. Dean Ambrose is just awesome. He is going to be a very big deal.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I like them as the anti-hero’s, but I disagree, I hate Ambrose. There’s just something about the way he speaks/carries himself that I feel like he needs an Edge style spear or some Sweet Chin Music. I like Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns though, I wish either of them were the “leader.”

Either way though, they are all very greasy looking.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

———————

It’s probably the Joker like personality.

They don’t have the mic skills to be the leader though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Then he’s doing a good job of getting under your skin.

Great talker. Great in the ring. He already had a four star match down in Florida with Punk last year when Punk made a special appearance in order to work with the younger guys. Like Punk and Bryan, lots of indie experience. He’s going to be a player.

• Pat D says:

Their storyline is still lacking and I don’t think that any conclusion to it will work. Either they just keep attacking people just because, or they’ll reveal that they have a leader, which would just diminish them.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If it were me, I’d have booked Rollins/Ambrose versus Kane/Bryan for the titles at WM, with the Shield going over. It’s obvious now there’s going Ryback/Sheamus/Orton in a six-man, with Ryback probably getting his win back in the feel-good moment before the Shield starts getting more one-on-one matches after WM.

It’s obvious by how they’re being booked that Vince sees great things in them. They’ve been VERY protected thus far and have been put over some rather big wrestlers. Wouldn’t surprise me to see all three of them wearing gold by the end of the year.

It doesn’t hurt as well that Reigns, probably the least talented of the three, is also the Rock’s cousin.

• Barry says:

I wish I knew how to get back into wrestling, I don’t think I’ve watched since 2000… I think the Hardy boots were new.

11. Pat D says:

Apparently Triple H wet himself.

12. Dalek Jeter says:

I don’t know who I hate more Cena or Punk.

• Pat D says:

Hating either guy is dumb. There are really not that many guys on the roster deserving of being genuinely hated.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Except for the Great Khali.

• Pat D says:

Yea, he’s one of the guys. I don’t really hate him as much as feel sorry for him. The guy clearly has health issues.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He could be the healthiest guy on earth and still be a terrible, terrible wrestler.

Him and Hornswoggle probably make my list out of the current crew. Not many other completely worthless guys being thrown out there at the moment.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think I’m at the place where Punk’s surpassed Hart and Benoit for me as best ever. Just spotless in the ring, great on the mic, and just has an amazing respect for the business and for the young guys coming up. He’s just everything you want in a professional wrestler.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Yeah, as a wrestler he’s great, BUT his character is irritating as shit. I was rooting for him though because I really, really dislike Cena.

13. People still watch wrestling? That’s one thing I never got into as a child.

14. Dirty mike and the boys says:

Wrestlers love the soup kitchen

15. Dalek Jeter says:

That was a really good match, but 4 minutes into the match it was clear from the announcers that Cena would win.

16. Pistol pete says:

The lineup without Granderson is downright awful. Cashman never addressed the catching issue or the 4th outfielder and now it’s going to bite him in the ass. It’s bad enough they”re relying on a 39 yr old Ichiro, Jeter after major surgery, Gardner after all last seasons elbow troubles and the power losses of Arod, Swisher and Martin. The AL East is not a division for the small ballers, this is the American League and we’ve got a real good chance to stink. Try this for a lineup, Jeter Ichiro Cano Tex Youkalis Hafner Stewart Diaz and Gardner.

• Dalek Jeter says:

100 internet dollars says that the Yankees win at least 90 games and get at least the first wildcard, if not the division.

• TomH says:

This seems about right to me: in that whatever the probabilities of underachievement are for, say, Toronto or Baltimore, those for the old and wounded Yankees are much greater.

17. Dalek Jeter says:

Lol, Donnie Wahlberg rocking the sweater-vest on Daily Show. He looks like Cyril Figgis from Archer.

18. Nice Guy Eddie says:

If I hear another person say “the Yankees lost andruw Jones” I’m gonna lose it. They let him go because he was awful! And you can say essentially the same thing about raul

• Dalek Jeter says:

Wait, people are lamenting the lose of Andruw Jones?! I’m usually a huge supporter in Girardi and Cashman’s mindset of experience before youth, but even I was screaming for Jones to be gone…he was awful for most of the season, and even those with the most positive outlook probably wanted him gone.