Feb

Open Thread: 2/28 Camp Notes

Chris Stewart got ejected for arguing a bang-bang play at first. Seriously. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Nathan Denette)

Chris Stewart got ejected for arguing a bang-bang play at first. Seriously. (AP Photo/Nathan Denette)

Bad news: the Yankees lost to the Blue Jays earlier today, their fifth consecutive Grapefruit League loss. More bad news: about an hour later, they lost to the Astros to make it six straight losses. The home loss to Toronto featured two hits by Juan Rivera (single and double) and singles from Ichiro Suzuki and Mark Teixeira. David Phelps was the star of the day, throwing three scoreless innings. He had to go to the bullpen afterwards to make sure he reached his pitch count.

The minor leaguer-laden road squad in Kissimmee blew a four-run lead thanks to a grand slam from former Yankee Brandon Laird. Shane Greene served that one up. Zoilo Almonte and Melky Mesa had two hits apiece, including a three-run homer for Melky2.0. Eduardo Nunez beat out an infield single and pulled the first baseman off the bag with an errant throw. What else is new. Frankie Cervelli threw out a pair of attempted base-stealers and is 4-for-5 in throwing out runners this spring. His throwing has been really, really good so far. Here’s are the box scores (home game, road game) and here is the rest from Tampa…

• Mariano Rivera threw 18 pitches in a simulated game and was able to test his surgically repaired right knee by fielding a comebacker, fielding a bunt, and covering first base. “This was perfect, now it’s time to do it in a real game,” said Rivera. [Sweeny Murti & George King]
  • CC Sabathia threw a total of 46 pitches across two innings in a simulated game. “I felt a lot better today, just commanding the baseball,” he said, adding he doesn’t “have that little pain in (his elbow) anymore.” Still no word on when he will make his Grapefruit League debut, but I imagine it’ll be relatively soon. [Dave D'Alessandro]
  • Andy Pettitte threw a bullpen session today while Boone Logan is scheduled to face hitters in live batting practice tomorrow. Nothing new on Phil Hughes (bulging disk), he’s still doing his pool workouts with no set date for picking up a ball. [Chad Jennings]
  • Kevin Youkilis (oblique) did some fielding drills and looked fine. I’m guessing he’ll return to the lineup sometime this weekend. [Chad Jennings]
  • In the least surprising news ever, Joe Girardi confirmed Sabathia will start Opening Day. [Mark Feinsand]

Here is tonight’s open thread. All three hockey locals are in action plus MLB Network will air a Spring Training game as well. Talk about any of those games or anything else here. Have at it.

1. pat says:

Mesa hit a 3 run HR.

2. trr says:

Look, everyone knows you can’t go crazy over ST losses, but somehow, somewhere deep in my soul, I don’t like losing 6 in a row…ever

3. Eddard: Back and better than never says:

No game is insignificant for Chris Stewart. He’s fighting for a starting job and I love the fire and tenacity he displayed today. Cervelli is going to have to pump up the energy if he wants to dethrone Stewart from the starting job.

Also, Phelpsy was brilliant today. This kid is going to be special. He’s currently in that long man role but should be given a starting job next season when we go cheaper and lose Andy and/or Hiroki. As long as they don’t jerk him around like Joba they have a future star on their hands.

4. LitFig says:

So long as the MLB and AAA players play well, then the score doesn’t matter in spring training.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Pretty much. Am I really going to lose sleep if Zach Nuding blows a game, or eight?

Just be ready for Opening Day.

5. Greg says:

some Yankee fan in the KLAW chat this morning suggested Gardner, Nova and Phelps for STANTON. makes us all look stupid.

6. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

All I got out of this is the new Melk Man delivered! Seriously though, I don’t think we need to be all that worried about players who won’t likely see much/any MLB experience blowing leads. ST is about conditioning and getting ready for the season, not about winning games.

7. Anthony says:

Can’t help but feel encouraged by Cervelli’s defense. It seems like he’s really put effort into his game. If he does wind up becoming the starting catcher, I don’t think it’ll be such a big downgrade from Martin. Russel had muscle, sure, but IIRC he finished the season with a .210 BA.

• Barry says:

I’m sure he’s desperate to not go back to AAA. seriously all the hater action would stop if he could give a 320 wOBA and average defense.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll settle for a pablos ham sandwich at this point.

9. Robinson Tilapia says:

Here’s as far as I’ll go talking about video games: I just installed Real Racing 3 on my IPad. GT feel, but Ridge Racer-style powersliding? Sign me up. SUPERB graphics for the IPad, I must say.

10. dkidd says:

thanks to tilapia and pat d for the wrestling recommends

i’m checking out ring of honor, chikara, and will be going to some pro wrestling guerrilla events in l.a.

can’t wait to witness the madness in person

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s been a few years, but I’ve been to ROH a couple of times. Really devoted audience. They have some sort of TV show now but, back then, the fans only followed the storylines from going to the shows. They knew every wrestler, had a thousand different cheers, etc. It was something.

I’ve heard they’ve lost a step, but several very big names used to be part of ROH. I got to see CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, the now Antonio Cesaro, Austin Aries, Samoa Joe, and Mickie James before they hit it big. They both take it seriously and have a ton of fun with it all.

Have a blast. It’s good, completely mindless fun.

11. Pat D says: