Feb

Pineda dropped 20 pounds, will face hitters next month

Via Bryan Hoch & Erik Boland: Michael Pineda has dropped 20 lbs. during his rehab from shoulder surgery and so far everything feels strong. “I won’t make this mistake anymore,” said the right-hander about showing up to camp overweight. “I’m feeling very excited, I’m feeling good. My shoulder is stronger right now.”

More importantly, the 24-year-old Pineda has started throwing off a full mound — he had his first session earlier this week and is scheduled for another tomorrow — and will begin facing hitters under controlled conditions next month. Controlled conditions means behind a L-screen, live batting practice, simulated game, that kind of stuff. Or at least I think that’s what it means, anyway. Brian Cashman said he is “cautiously optimistic” but still doesn’t anticipate getting Pineda back before June. Still .. progress!

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. uyf1950 says:

That’s great news about Pineda. Let’s hope the progress continues, let him take his time when he’s 100% and ready then and only then send him to the Bronx to pitch.

2. Dars says:

This guy coming back in full force could immediately turn us into a powerhouse…. You could have Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Pettite and Hughes in what could be one of the best rotations in baseball come July and then still have the depth of Phelps and Nova.

I think the Yankees will also make a move for a powerful RH bat come July. Or who knows, ARod could surprise and be that bat.

• jjyank says:

I’m fairly optimistic about Pineda overall, but a little cautious for 2013. Still, if he does return to form quickly, that’s a pretty awesome rotation.

• Govin says:

Does anyone know how a pitchers controll is coming off of a injury like this. I know after tommy john surgery, controll is the last thing that comes to a pitcher. But I’ve never heard how a labrum tear effects controll.

3. Fernando says:

Slow, yet steady progress. No need to rush and get hurt again.

4. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? (Formerly Austin Aunelowitzky) says:

As long as it isn’t under controlled substances…

5. trr says:

Hoping 4 the best here

6. Another really long name which has no point (formerly "an important / cool name") says:

Good news! I hope he doesn’t room with CC in the bigs. The two of them could eat their way through an entire hotel menu in about 20 min.

7. jg233 says:

For some reason I think Pineda is gonna be flat nasty when he gets back.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

Nothing but encouraging news on the Pineda front thus far. Let’s wait and see.

Whenever I hear about someone “dropping weight,” I often have Andrew Dice Clay’s voice in my head going “Yeah! From your belly to your ass! A-gush!”

9. lou in the bronx says:

If this man comes back strong you’ll see big lou dancing naked at stadium!

10. mick taylor says:

how about campos. if he is healthy and as good as advertised yanks have potentially 5 top pitching prospects, [pineda , campos, banuelos, dipaula, henley].

11. Gonzo says:

I heard an interview with CC. Crazy that CC could call anyone big anything but he calls him Big Mike. I hope Big Mike makes it a very interesting arb case with a strong 2nd half.

• Laz says:

If they can keep him in the minors for enough time they can set his arbitration clock back a season. Will almost buy back the season they lost to injury.

12. Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Anibal Sanchez’s 2008 seems like a good reference for how Pineda will be coming back, since he’s the only recent starting pitcher to have the same injury. Add about .50 to his 2011 FIP and he’s still pretty damn good.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Or maybe he comes back like another hard throwing righthander did from the same surgery and pitches like Clemens did in 1986.

• LK says:

Don’t be such a pessimist. I’d put ’99 Pedro as his mean projection.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

(reposted from below)

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

AHHHHH stupid copy paste button. This website and my computer are deliberately trying to stop me from saying that Anibal’s 2008 and Clemens 1986 are the only two instances of an SP under 25 coming back from an anterior tear of the glenoid labrum without damage to the rotator cuff or the shoulder capsule.

13. You should have shot Arod says:

Pictures or GTFO

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

a) great comment
      b) “I won’t make this mistake anymore,” tells me as much as I need to know about him–all the BS last year about him showing up overweight was ridiculous. Don’t care why (team said take a break) or why not, fact is he’s ready to perform and he’s excited. If we can be up by 4 games when he comes in June it’ll be awesome.

• Cool Lester Smooth (formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Hey now, those are the only two young SPs to have the same injury Pineda did. Wade Miller was 26 when it happened and Valverde is a reliever.

It’s not my fault that he has so few comparables

14. Holy Ghost says:

Does being overweight really matter for pitchers? I don’t remember the Yankees complaining about David Wells

• Opus says:

David used to say nobody had a problem with his weight when he was winning.

• Gonzo says:

Just my opinion, but I think it’s all about repeating your delivery with the most efficiency and least amount of effort. I think conditioning helps for some players.

Boomer could just throw till the cows came home. He had a rubber arm. Clemens was a work out freak. I guess it comes down to the player.

• Laz says:

Generally keeping fit will be better for your pitching. Wells was already an established starter and he already found what worked for him. Can get away with alot more if you are established great pitcher.

15. Wayne says:

It’s not just the weight that was an issue his mechanics were awful. I don’t know how anyone can throw the ball the way he did. it looks like he’s cutting off his arm motion which would explain his shoulder injury. If they don’t correct his delivery he is going to wind up hurt again!

16. Wayne says:

Boomer David wells had good mechanics and was a strong guy. This guy is strong but has no delivery.

17. lou in the bronx says:

David and I have similiar body “structure” .

18. bigbsarteest says:

Wishful thinkin ain, t am be payin da bills – karl malone