Feb

Update: Spring Training broadcast schedule

(Star-Ledger)

(Star-Ledger)

February 22nd: The MLB.tv schedule is out, and at this point it’s easier to list the games that won’t be broadcast than the ones that will. In addition to tomorrow’s Grapefruit League opener, the games of March 7th, 12th, 14th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd, and 28th will not be available anywhere. That’s it. Twenty-seven of the 35 Spring Training games will watchable somewhere. That’s pretty sweet. The schedule below has been updated (all games are on YES and MLB.tv unless noted) and will be available in the sidebar all spring, within the Opening Day Countdown.

February 14th: Less than ten days from now, Yankees baseball will be on your television. The YES Network released its Spring Training broadcast schedule today, which includes 19 of the team’s 35 exhibition games. That’s an all-time high and doesn’t include ESPN or MLB Network broadcasts, the latter of which has yet to release its schedule. The Yankees will play their first Grapefruit League game next Saturday, but that one won’t be on YES because they’ll be on the road. The next day’s game will be televised, however.

Here’s a partial recap of the broadcast schedule since MLB Network’s plans are still unavailable. We’ll have regular game threads for the broadcasts and even some game chats when the schedule is favorable. All games start between 1-2pm ET and will be on YES, unless otherwise noted…

• Sunday, Feb. 24th vs. Blue Jays
  • Monday, Feb. 25th @ Orioles (MLB.tv only)
  • Tuesday, Feb. 26th @ Phillies (MLB.tv only)
  • Wednesday, Feb. 27th vs. Orioles
  • Thursday, Feb. 28th vs. Blue Jays (split squad)
  • Thursday, Feb. 28th @ Astros (split squad) (MLB.tv only)
  • Friday, March 1st vs. Phillies
  • Saturday, March 2nd vs. Tigers
  • Sunday, March 3rd @ Red Sox
  • Tuesday, March 5th vs. Braves (7pm ET)
  • Wednesday, March 6th vs. Team Dominican Republic
  • Friday, March 8th @ Marlins (MLB.tv only)
  • Saturday, March 9th vs. Braves
  • Sunday, March 10th @ Blue Jays (MLB.tv only)
  • Monday, March 11th vs. Cardinals (also on ESPN)
  • Wednesday, March 13th vs. Phillies (7pm ET)
  • Friday, March 15th vs. Marlins
  • Saturday, March 16th vs. Phillies (split squad, 12pm ET)
  • Saturday, March 16th @ Braves (split squad, 5pm ET, MLB.tv only)
  • Tuesday, March 19th @ Phillies (ESPN and MLB.tv only)
  • Wednesday, March 20th vs. Red Sox (also on ESPN)
  • Thursday, March 21st vs. Twins (7pm ET)
  • Sunday, March 24th vs. Rays
  • Tuesday, March 26th vs. Astros (7pm ET)
  • Wednesday, March 27th @ Orioles (7pm ET, MLB.tv only)
  • Friday, March 29th @ Nationals (in Nationals Park, no MLB.tv)
  • Saturday, March 30th @ Army (in West Point)

That March 5th game against Robinson Cano and the rest of the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic squad should be a lot of fun. Same goes with the Nationals game in Washington and the West Point game. The Yankees will be off on Sunday, March 31st before opening the regular season at home against the Red Sox on Monday, April 1st.

Categories : Spring Training

1. Havok9120 says:

Playing Army and the Dominican team is pretty cool, I must say. Do most teams do stuff like this?

Thinking about it, I would imagine the Rockies play Air Force and the Nats and/or Orioles play Navy. If they don’t, then the Front Offices and PR departments of the various organizations involved are failing rather miserably.

• jjyank says:

I know a lot of teams play local colleges during spring training. Not sure about the O’s/Nats and the Navy or the Rockies and the Air Force though. But I’m pretty sure it’s common for teams to play schools every year.

• Govin says:

I’m really excited about the Yankees playing at Westpoint. I know during spring training there are a couple games against college teams( for all mlb teams). But this is the first time I’ve heard of any games against any branch of the military. I hope it becomes a tradition

• Mike Axisa says:

Teams play colleges once or twice every year in camp, but I don’t know about the academies.

• RetroRob says:

I seem to remember reading that the Yankees used to play West Point fairly reguarly, but it was more back in the Ruth days. Yet I do see reference to them playing a game there in 1976, which kind of marked the rebirth of the team as a winning organization. Sounds some GMS would have done.

Reminds me. A nephew goes to West Point. I wonder what the ticket situation is. The grounds are fairly close to where I live.

This is a battle that won’t go well for the cadets.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Rockies are not playing the Air Force Academy this spring and I don’t recall them doing it in the recent past (although can’t say I really paid any attention to the Rockies ST schedule).

2. MBN says:

Anyone know if any of these games will also be on the radio here in NY? Usually, only a few games are radio broadcast during ST. Thanks.

3. jjyank says:

When I was in college, I didn’t really bother watching Spring Training games. Usually too busy I suppose. The two years after that I was in market. So my question is, are all the non-ESPN games available on MLB.TV? I never needed to know before even though I had MLB.TV all throughout college. I moved out of market in June, so my MLB.TV experience didn’t cover ST. Any of you fellow out of towners know?

4. Herby says:

Even if it is ST it’s nice to know televised baseball is so close to being back.

5. forensic says:

I don’t know if it’s supposed to be implied or not, but saying ‘MLB.tv’ only isn’t really true. Most (all?) of those will be available on MLBN too, just some of them will be on a delay (not sure if that’s the same for MLB.tv too).

6. YankeesJunkie says:

I am sure most of the games will either be on YES or the local network of the away team and not just on MLB TV since they will only do games not televised locally.

7. Andrew Brotherton says:

Yankees take a company to court over using the term baseball’s evil empire. Our tentacles even stretch into the courtroom

8. whitey says:

I believe the Yanks played USF a few years ago. If I remember correctly, an USF player had a grand slam against Igawa and the fans booed.

9. Jd says:

Anyone know?? Even though yanks play away today, is there activity at Tampa for people to see?

10. Stratman9652 says:

Will the MLB.TV only games be subject to local blackout?