Feb

Super Bowl XLVII Open Thread

49ers QB Colin Kaepernick pitching in high school. (Photo via Max Preps)

49ers QB Colin Kaepernick pitching in high school. (Photo via Max Preps)

The Ravens and 49ers will meet in Super Bowl XLVII (that’s 47) tonight at 6:30pm ET on CBS, and my official prediction is a 24-20 win for San Francisco. No particular reason, it’s a complete guess on my part. My football knowledge is pretty limited; it would be generous to call me a casual fan. I enjoy watching football because I have little rooting interest and it’s nice to just sit back and enjoy a sport once in a while.

Anyway, talk about the big game (and the commercials!) or anything else right here. There are no hockey or basketball games being played and no other network is stupid enough to broadcast new shows tonight. It’s Super Bowl or bust. Enjoy.

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

Enjoy the game, everyone. Off to a party with a friend who has actually been cursed out, by name, by Rush Limbaugh on the radio.

2. Cano fan #1 says:

49ers

3. jjyank says:

I’m with ya, Mike. I’m about a casual a football fan as you will find. I am a Giants fan, but I don’t really care if they don’t make it.

That said, I’m rooting for the 49ers. I allow the baseball landscape to rule my football loyalties. I don’t want to see Orioles fans happy and I have no problem with SF Giants fans…so go 49ers!

4. forensic says:

Uh oh, you said ‘Super Bowl’. The NFL is gonna hunt you down now! How dare you use their trademarked terms without being an official sponsor.

Anyway, go commercials!!!

5. Fudges not given says:

Commercials, the only reason to watch.

6. forensic says:

Could Ray Lewis’ arm brace be any bigger? That thing looks like there should be someone on the sideline with a remote controlling it…

7. Mxkekkdirjdje says:

Biggers

8. Gordon m says:

Luckily Herr in the UK the Superbowl is being shown on the BBC, so no commercials. I do have to put up with a bunch of ex-pat Americans talking continuously about every miniscule aspect of the game. In some ways I think I might prefer commercials.

• forensic says:

Luckily? Unless your team is playing, the commercials are the best part of the super bowl, at least over here they are.

• RetroRob says:

So far, the commercials have been as exciting as the game, meaning not so good. I did hear the Audi ad was an endorsement of sexual assualt on women. Yeah, right. People have lost their minds.

• Barry says:

When the G-Men aren’t in it the commercials are the only reason to watch dude. You need to find an American feed.

9. Gordon m says:

Herr? that should’ve been here, not Herr.

10. Joel says:

Football is dull.

11. Barry says:

Jason Giambi has received calls from a few teams and is working out five days a week, as he is determined to continue his playing career, reports Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#RHWLomFKrS2Uwfph.99

Could be fun. lol.

12. trr says:

Trying to decide which is worse…the game or Beyonce.

• forensic says:

That’s why you change the channel for awhile as soon as halftime starts.

• Vern Sneaker says:

Beyonce. Your average house cat’s got more soul. Not that the game is much better. We’ve got a prop going as to whether it gets turned off before 9:15

• Joel says:

What was bad about Beyonce?

• Vern Sneaker says:

It’s just spectacle — fire, dry ice smoke, high volume, dancers — total cliche. You could put any woman with a great bod and an okay voice and it would be exactly the same .

• Joel says:

As a musician and actor, I can tell you guys know exactly nothing about what it takes to do what she did. Maybe you wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference between BeyoncĂ© and some average nobody, but that says a lot more about you than it does about her.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

This.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Exactly. Just because it’s not someone’s cup of tea it doesn’t mean it’s not someone else’s.

Besides, Kelly Rowland got a nice paycheck.

• Pat D says:

Yea, it’s not my cup of tea. So I had an easy solution to that “problem”: I didn’t watch it.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Beyonce isn’t exactly my type of music but to say was she did didn’t take talent is pretty ludicrous.

Bunch of whiny haters around here tonight.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

When it comes to the Super Bowl there are only a few groups of people. The fans, the ones who don’t care and the ones who must let you know that they “don’t care.”

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Holy shit all you need is a good looking female and lights to do what Beyonce did? I don’t want to live on this Earth anymore.

I mean I’m pretty tired of 50 year old rock legends half ass these performances.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I was fine with Madonna and Prince the past couple of years, and there’s never a bad time for Springsteen, but the Who and Tom Petty are better remembered on vinyl/CD/compressed mp3.

• Pat D says:

Yea, those guys are old but at least the sound they produce can still be defined as “music.” I’m not so sure the same can be said for most of today’s shit.

• trr says:

just lights, noise, ass shaking…nothing for anyone who loves music…hey, if that’s your pew, kneel down and pray….I ain’t even in the same church

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Anyone who loves music would love the raw talent Beyonce has. Even if you hate her songs it’s indisputable that she has incredible talent.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Nothing, really. At least she’s not 140 years old. I’m not a huge fan or anything, but it’s nice to at least keep it contemporary after years of nostalgia.

13. goterpsgo says:

OMG I so want SF to win. If the thugs known as BAL win, I’ll be WFH on Tuesday so I can avoid the parade traffic.

14. forensic says:

Even the people operating the lights don’t want to watch the game anymore…

15. F ur self says:

You button hooked me

16. F ur self says:

You better knot do that again

17. RetroRob says:

Exciting Super Bowl.

I’m now watching Harry Potter. I’ve never seen a Harry Potter movie. Ever. It’s come to that.

• Pat D says:

I’m watching Nobody’s Fool with Paul Newman because it’s the last day it’s available on my Netflix instant watch. I watched about 4 minutes in the first half, saw Baltimore score their second touchdown, and then flipped back to see the hilarity of the power failure.

• RetroRob says:

Why do movies go away? I have a Netflix streaming account, although I’ve never noticed the movies go away, well outstide of when they lost the Starz deal and most of the movies went away!

• Pat D says:

They rotate them in and out, usually the last/first day of every month. Sometimes it happens mid-month.

I had about 7 movies expire on Friday, I managed to watch 6 of them before they did. Now 3 movies that had been on instant watch and expired before I watched them have now returned.

18. Havok9120 says:

Mardi Gras and the Superbowl being in this city at the same time is insane.

Now then, back to experiencing it.

19. RetroRob says:

So the Ravens win. 50-50 chance I’m not quite sure which team actually won by tomorrow morning.

20. forensic says:

Love when the super bowl is over.

It means we’re that much closer to spring training with no other big sports in the way!

21. You should have shot Arod says:

Jim harbuagh is so smart
    Does anyone know that if he kicked the Xpt instead of going for the 2 pt tie
    At the end of the game they could have kicked a fg and tied it. Sent it into OT.
    Nope lets play college ball Check out the big brain on Jim first niner coach to lose a SB.
    Dumbass

22. Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

What a great game. That’s exactly why the NFL has become the number one sport in the U.S.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It was a great game. I’ve never been excited by anything related to the Baltimore Ravens, so them winning knocks the wind of the sails a bit but, after a ho-hum first half, this became quite the game with the drama of the power outage, the Niners regrouping and, really, almost pulling it off. The wrong team, to me, won, but it was an enjoyable game.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

I’ve hated the 49ers since they cost my team a Super Bowl when Dwight Clark made “the fucking catch” so it was sweet to see them lose even if I’m sick of Ray Lewis hypocrisy farewell tour.

After years of blowouts, pretty much every Super Bowl these last 5-6 years has been tremendous.

23. Pat D says:

Thankfully this miserable NFL season is over. The Giants couldn’t do the one thing I asked them to do.

Now we won’t have to hear anything about the NFL for a while.*

*By “a while” I mean about a week or so until NFL free agency and the draft period starts.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

They just won a Super Bowl last year. A little spoiled,,aren’t we.

• Pat D says:

All I wanted them to do this year was make the fucking playoffs. That was it. They can’t seem to put two successful seasons together. They win the Super Bowl in ’86, then they go 6-9 in ’87. I blamed the strike for that. They win the Super Bowl in ’90, they go 8-8 in ’91. I blame the front office and Ray Handley for that. They win the Super Bowl in ’07, they get to the playoffs but limped in thanks to the Burress shooting and lose at home to the Eagles. I’d rather they did miss the playoffs then do that!

So I just wanted them to make the playoffs. If they lost their first playoff game, I’d have been made but gotten over it by saying, “Well, they just won the Super Bowl last year.” But I couldn’t console myself that way. I had to pretend that I didn’t care how terribly they played the last 8 weeks.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

But if someone replaced Giants with Yankees…

24. Tom says:

Personally I love the initial outrage over the noncall on 4th down at the end.

Wasn’t it just 2 weeks ago when SF got away with the same exact thing, also on 4th down? Atl was inside the 10 driving for the win and one of the SF linebackers completely hammered one of the ATL receivers on 4th down to cause an incompletion.

Power outage, the (alleged) PED story, and the terrible officiating – if this were baseball, MLB and Selig would be getting hammered right about now. It being the NFL – what a great host NO was, what an ending for the great Ray Lewis, and what a tremendous game it was.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

It would have been far worse to decide a SB on a pass interference when the receiver was pushing and grabbing just as much as the CB was. Good no call in my book.

SF had 1st and goal at the 5 and had a terribly called series.

• Pat D says:

But…but…Harbaugh is teh gene-yus!

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Jim Harbaugh is just an obnoxious whiny SOB. His sideline tantrums are disgraceful.

His older brother was always in his shadow growing up as Jim was the superstar athlete so it was nice to see John win and Jim eat some humble pie.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

He’s still one of the best coaches in the league.

• Tom says:

Completely agree.. the other issue was they were allowing that all game. It’s also not a given SF scores on 1st and goal at the 1 (though it’s highly probable) or on a replay of the 4th down (if they called offsetting penalties). It’s also not exactly a reach to think with nearly 2 min and 3 TO’s, BALT wouldn’t have driven down for a game winning or game tying FG.

It’s just kind of funny that SF was on the opposite end of a noncall to get into the Super Bowl, yet people seemed to be OK with the refs swallowing the whistle in that game.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Football is so hard to officiate since there are so many judgement calls.

Its usually never fair to pick out 1 call or non call and say it cost someone the game (Seattle-Green bay not withstanding).

25. forensic says:

Catching up on some taped shows, and this is from Friday’s Clubhouse Confidential:

They were trying to analyze pitch framing and Dave Valle chose some video to ‘prove’ it. Among the video were three shots of Montero and one of Jose Molina.

By no means am I trying to put Montero in the same defensive universe as Molina, but the three videos they showed for Montero consisted of one pitch at his head and two other toward the dirt, while the one pitch they showed for Molina was just a touch inside.

Would some semblance of trying to find similar pitches kill them or what? Their video was completely useless…

26. Pat D says:

So I just read that Jim Harbaugh, naturally, criticized the officiating after the game. Does anyone know if he also refused to talk to CBS after the game the way he refused to talk to Fox after the Giants beat him last year?

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Yeah, he refused to talk to CBS. And nobody (cough, I’m looking at you Shannon Sharpe) gave him flak (or Flacco) for it like they gave Belichick.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Blaming the refs is a whiny punk move, usually. I always associate that with Phil Jackson.
      Harbaugh had a point about last night’s officiating, though. Some terrible calls.

27. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

I really didn’t care who won, but I’m glad it turned into a good game at the end. I’m glad John Harbaugh got the win over Jim, the Niners will be back in the mix for years to come and Jim will get another chance. On the other hand, I really didn’t want Ray Lewis and his hokey “praise Jesus for everything, even though I was involved in a murder! (especially when the cameras are on me)” act to go out on top. He at a great career though, murderer or not.