Feb

The Yankees are officially* the Evil Empire

Via Ashby Jones: A panel of trademark judges ruled earlier this month that the Yankees have rights to the phrase “Evil Empire” when used in connection to baseball. A private company called Evil Enterprises Inc. tired to trademark the phrase “Baseball’s Evil Empire” back in July 2008, but the Yankees fought them and won. Pretty silly.

Red Sox president Larry Lucchino first slapped the Evil Empire tag on the Yankees back in 2002 after losing out on free agent right-hander Jose Contreras. Given how that whole turned out, I’m guessing Lucchino isn’t all that upset anymore. The Yankees argued that they are commonly called the Evil Empire and it would create confusion, especially since they’ve embraced the moniker by playing Star Wars music — as the opponent’s lineup is being announced, mind you — at Yankee Stadium. Evil Enterprises Inc. has yet to decide whether to appeal.

* Kinda sorta, anyway.

Categories : Asides

1. dkidd says:

showed up at 1:05 EST hoping for a game thread

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

I wonder if Evil Enterprises tried to sue for ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

3. kyle says:

is the game on tv?

4. Jamey says:

Like father like sons. Didn’t George make a bundle off “Yankees suck!” apparel?

5. Marcos says:

Zolio Almonte just gunned down Reed Johnson trying to go to 3rd on a base hit to right. Baseball is finally here!!!!

6. Govin says:

Wow, Zoilo just threw someone out trying to take third nice. tell me how the rest of the game goes I have to breakd myself away. and actually do something today.

7. Govin says:

8. Marcos says:

MLB At Bat app Braves radio

9. Marcos says:

Wow Homerun Almonte!!!! Next Yankees superstar. Lol

10. RetroRob says:

Interesting that Corban Joseph is playing third.

• Havok9120 says:

They’ve had him drilling there quite a bit this week. Segedin is back over there now too.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Probably only chance he has to make the team (barring injury) would be to show he can handle third.

• RetroRob says:

His arm supposedly comes up short for third, but might as well give him a try there.

I wonder if MLB teams actually are “losing” players at potential positions because they immediately decide they can’t play there based on some short coming. A 3B’man is required to have a very strong arm, so most players who fall short of that will never get the chance. Yet two of the greatest 3B’men ever, Brooks Robinson and Graig Nettles, were not known for great arms. Both had very quick and accurate releases. It’s similar to OFers who unload throws quickly and have accurate arms are more effective than other OFers with very strong arms, but load slowly, or have poor accuracy.

Nettles was originally considered for second base, but the Twins had another prospect slotted there coming through the minors by the name of Carew there, so they gave Nettles reps at third and in the OF. I wonder if they’d even give him a look at third today just assuming he couldn’t play there based on his arm.

Now I’m not suggesting Joseph’s is Nettles. Just that pure arm strength should not necessarily eliminate a player from consideration if has other fielding skills that will more than offset it.

11. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d rather be infuriated by John and Suzyn than be put to sleep by these Braves guys.

12. Get Phelps Up says:

Cano homer!

13. RetroRob says:

I mentioned this before, but they should hire James Earl Jones to record the player introductions for a game. Evil Empire Day. Embrace it. Sell merchandise. It’ll piss fans of other teams off, and Larry Lucchino’s comment will end up making even more money for the Yankees.

• Havok9120 says:

That would be truly brilliant.

• jjyank says:

And his first day on the job, he steps up to the microphone and says:

“Luke…..I am your announcer.”

• ClusterDuck says:

“I wonder if the Yankees trademarked “Evil Empire” in relation to baseball just so no other organization could use it against them. They may have no intention of using it, or just want to reserve their rights.”

I see somebody gets it.

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

ROBBIE! The first of many times I will type that this season.

15. pat says:

Granted it was only BP, but Cespedes hit a HR with the donut still on his bat. Of course I was as skeptical as anyone about if he could hit at the MLB level, but I certainly wouldn’t mind having him on a 4 year 36 mil contract (now 3/27) with the benefit of hindsight.

16. SithLord says:

The Dark Side is a powerful ally. Thank you Larry for giving us another revenue stream.