Mar

Cafardo: Yankees have inquired about Chase Headley

Via Nick Cafardo: The Yankees have inquired about the availability of Chase Headley. Padres GM Josh Byrnes recently told Peter Gammons his third baseman isn’t available, but that is typical GM speak. Even if he is available they would say he isn’t just to create leverage. For what it’s worth, Bill Madden reported last week San Diego has started listening to offers for their franchise cornerstone.

Headley, 28, hit .286/.376/.498 (145 wRC+) with 31 homers and 17 steals last season, including .308/.386/.592 (170 wRC+) with 23 homers and ten steals after the All-Star break. The switch-hitter is an above-average defender at third and is under team control as an arbitration-eligible player through 2014. He’ll earn $8.575M this summer. The Yankees did not contact the Padres about Headley at the Winter Meetings following the news of Alex Rodriguez‘s hip surgery, but I guess they’re a little more desperate for offense these days. The cost would be substantial — two top prospects plus one or two lesser pieces? — but Headley is a star-caliber player in his prime years with multiple years of team control remaining.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. William says:

Phelps, mason, Montgomery, Adams.

• Brian says:

Give up what it takes to get him, seriously. Tex has an injury that could linger all year, we should be preparing for life without him, at least without an effective him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d do that. The Padres wouldn’t, I’d wager.

• JMK says:

So a back-end starter, a potential high-leverage reliever, a fringe-average 3B and a CF who while extremely talented hasn’t made it out of A-Ball?

I see no reason why the Padres would take that package. You don’t trade a cost-controlled All-Star talent in his prime (and at a shallow position, no less) for spare parts and an A-Ball outfielder.

2. RobA says:

Prob a moot point. Due to his age and perfomance and contract, Headley has crazy value. He’d be a great fit for NY no doubt, but if hes actually available, there are probably at least 20 teMs with serious interest, if not more. And if the Pads actually trade him, there are seveeal teams who would beat whatever offer the Yanks could come up with. Its not loke SD would trade him quickly without secretly soliciting every team in baseball first.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, you’re probably right. I’d love to have him, but I don’t think the Yanks could (or be willing to) match other offers.

3. greg says:

Heard they contacted the Angels about Trout, the Braves about Heyward and the Marlins about Stanton. What a joke.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Why is that a joke? Shouldn’t the GM contact every team who has a player that he thinks could help his team? Isn’t that his job?

The joke would be if one of those players was traded and Cashman hadn’t contacted the team. That would be grounds for firing.

• Scully says:

I mean of course, but wouldn’t you at least see if you could swap your one franchise player for a younger, more cost controlled franchise player? Plus we know that someone always swoops in with an offer at the end and a team you’re not expecting gets the guy for some 2WAR player and 3 B+ prospects.

• trr says:

Don’t be stupid. If the Pods are serious about trading him, there are other teams that have more to offer, but we should try (within reason) to make this move. I think by late April many fans will be screaming for such a move. Like most big trades,it’s risky, but we must admit he is just what we need

• MannyGeee says:

Autocorrect has you trading for a 3rd baseman from a personal transportation device… Thought you’d want to know!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“but we must admit he is just what we need”

Looking at this roster, you think one guy is just what this team needs?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Um, no.

• trr says:

Robby, if the team is 10-20 on May 10th, what would you say then?

• jjyank says:

I would say that it’s May 10th.

• trr says:

fair enough jj, but do you really think this team has the
            muscle to overcome a very bad start?

• jjyank says:

I do, but I’ll also be the first to admit that I’m an optimist. By May 10th they would (hopefully) have Tex and Grandy back. The Yanks have overcome plenty of bad Aprils, and I think they can do it again if it happens.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Even if they don’t, I’d rather have a weaker team this year and a stronger year the next five than a marginally stronger team now and not as strong afterwards.

• MannyGeee says:

This team has gotten to a very bad start every year since 2000. They have a LOT of AL East crowns an a ring to show for it though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d say the same thing I’ve said when the team’s been disgustingly under .500 in May during the run in which they’ve made the playoffs every year, except for 2008: It’s May.

4. Adam says:

I like Headley and he is a great fit, but I don’t like him enough to gut the farm. If there’s a anyway we can acquire him without giving up TWO of Sanchez, Williams, Austin and Heathcott, I’d be open to the idea. Really don’t want to trade Sanchez in this deal though.

• Youkales' Mispelled Name says:

I think that’s what Mike is saying, that of our top 4 prospects it may require 2. I would definitely trade two of the top 4 for a guy like Headley. I would love to keep Sanchez out of the deal, if I could trade Heathcott and Williams for him plus miscellaneous prospects, I would do that in a minute.

5. jjyank says:

I was very much on the Headley bandwagon at the trade deadline last year, but his monster second half likely raised his price. If the cost isn’t as high as I’m thinking, the Yanks should absolutely make a run at him. I’m not so sure it could happen though.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

I agree. Nothing to add here.

• inquiring minds says:

What’s your price?

• jjyank says:

I’m not sure. I could live with two of Williams/Austin/Heathcott. I’d really want to hang on to Sanchez. As for the filler? I dunno, maybe Brett Marshall/Adam Warren and CoJo? I’m just spit balling there. I think that most other teams that would be in the running for Headley would be able to match or surpass what the Yankees would be willing to pay.

• inquiring minds says:

That’s not as tightwad as I expected considering your rhetoric. I think Austin + Mason + Marshall + CoJo is a respectable offer. Might not be enough but it should definitely get you in the running. All it takes is one GM to LOVE Austin or Mason.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Williams, Nova, Ramirez, Flores?

6. Blake says:

Coming from Cafardo that means……nothing much

7. josh0909 says:

I would do a Nova, Mason, Slade, and then maybe a Brett Marshall type of prospect. San Diego could use the toolsy outfield prospects and Nova can go from a 4th or 5th starter to a legitimate number 3 in that ball park.

8. Sdjohn says:

Not willing to gut the farm for a short term fix that, lets face it, may not do much the way this years team is constructed. No thanks.

9. Zack says:

As Sdjohn said,this is a quick fix to an issue that be around all year,no thank you

10. John says:

Nova, Nunez and one of Williams/Heathcott/Austin enough?

11. DSFC says:

Headley is a nice player but hardly worth trading the farm for. That would be a knee jerk, reactive move..

12. MannyGeee says:

Old news… Another day, another call on Headley.

13. ClusterDuck says:

The Yanks are in some much trouble long term on the offensive side that they can only solve their problem by either free agency(which would cost a fortune) or by flooding their system and developing their system with prospects.

Trading numerous prospects won’t do it!

The best offer I would make would be Williams/Marshall/Adams(or Joseph)/Mesa(or Almonte).

And SD can probably do better than that.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d slightly exceed that, but we’re on the same page. Not giving up more than one of the bigger prospects.

However, I’d definitely be willing up up the secondary pieces from what you’re offering.

14. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

GIVE UP WHATEVER YOU NEED TO! I WANT!

15. Sweet Dick Willie says:

Without sounding like a prospect hugger, there is a major problem in gutting the farm for Headley.

Let’s say it takes a package of Sanchez, Austin, Montgomery and Phelps/Nova (and I’m pretty sure many teams could match/beat that package). Headley will be a free agent after the 2014 season, and, unless he shits the bed, will be in line for a pretty big contract.

With Alex, CC, Tex and maybe Cano still on the books, would the Yanks be able to retain him?

If not, I submit that that is a steep price to pay for two years of production. At some point, the farm system has to be counted on to produce legitimate major leaguers.

16. Sam says:

No way they do this, but ‘multiple years of team control’ to fix a problem likely to linger all year (that’s just Tex, who knows how long for A Rod) is hardly a short term quick fix.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“And from what the farm has shown us this spring, it’s not like it’s replete with baseball olympians. They’re good, but not untradable.”

Of course they’re not untradeable. Even beyond the obvious names, though, there are players in this farm system that could become solid MLB contributors within 2-3 seasons.

The danger of reading through too many prospect lists is when you begin believe that only the 50 guys or so on that list matter.

As we’ve seen this spring, the Yankees hold Zoilo is high regard. They hold Jose Ramirez in high regard. They hold Rondon in high regard. They’re not cracking anyone’s top anything list, but they could just as easily be players at some point.

They ain’t all Bryce Harper, and they don’t have to be.

17. Eddard says:

This would be a major upgrade for us and make A-Rod even more expendable, which is a good thing. But Dave Phelps and Ivan Nova should be untouchable. You’ve got two old pitchers in the rotation who probably won’t be back next season. The Yankees aren’t good at bring up good, young starting pitching through the farm system so the ones who have already made it should not be traded under any circumstances.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d ship one of them so fast for a guy like this that you wouldn’t even have time to plan a filibuster. I’d be all Harry Reid up in this bitch.

18. Dicka24 says:

Am I the only one who thinks Headley is overvalued? The guy didn’t do much in his first 4 years in the majors. Last year was a “breakout” season for him, which begs the question of whether it was legitimate or not. I’d need more than one good season to give up 2 top prospects for him. Prior to last year he never hit more than 12 homers, or knocked in 65 runs. He never OPS’d better than the .700′s even. I’m not saying last year wasn’t a taste of what’s to come for this kid, but I’d be very hesitant to give up a pair of my best chips to find out. He might be a marginal 15 homer, 15 steal, 80 RBI guy. I’d pass personally. I’d much prefer a lesser move for someone like Michael Cuddyer. I saw a report that the Rockies would eat some salary to move him. He could play 1st or the OF alla Nick Swisher.

19. Kosmo says:

i would rather NY pursue Cuddyer who would fit in nicely at 1B while Tex recovers. He can also play RF and fake 3B if needed. Colorado might eat 6-7 mil remaining on his 2 year deal. Yanks could send Warren+ to complete the deal.

with Headley it boils down to which MLB teams need a 3B who would be willing to unload their farm system to acquire him. Not many.

• jjyank says:

Would Cuddyer actually fit nicely though? He only had a 102 wRC+ last year, and that was with playing half of his games in Colorado. Much of that was powered by his .489 SLG, which would surely dip as a RHB moving to Yankee Stadium. I’m not sure he’s an upgrade over what we already have.

• Kosmo says:

he played thru injury in 2012.

• jjyank says:

I don’t follow the Rockies enough to know how many games he played through the injury, but it looks like he missed 44 games due to that oblique injury. Did he get hurt and go right on the DL? Or did he stink because he played through the injury before going on the DL?

Just looking at his splits by month, he was good in April, about average in May, terrible in June, about average in July, and only played 3 more games for the rest of the season after that. So unless he hurt the oblique in early May and never got over it at all (which, to be fair, is possible, I just don’t know) I’m not sure he’s an upgrade. I can’t find anything about him playing through it after a quick Google search, just that he was placed on the DL on August 4th.

• trr says:

not sure Cuddyer would be a major impact player, but if the price is right…

• jjyank says:

Sure, but the Rockies would have to eat most of the contract and be willing to take a real fringy type prospect for me to get behind that. Kosmo’s original post suggested Warren +, and I think I would balk at that.

20. Ryan says:

Hold onto the prospects for when Stanton becomes available!!

21. Robinson Tilapia says:

Same thing I think about any other trade. I lean towards the prospect-hugging simply due to multiple needs moving forward. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t move one of Williams/Slade/Austin, but I wouldn’t move more than one of them for anyone.

22. flamingo says:

I’ve wanted Headley for a while, but we do need our depth in the farm system… sigh.

23. GT Yankee says:

While the team is in dire straights, I’d almost prefer letting a month into the season go by. Headley was awesome with 31HR’s last year, but the year before he hit only 4. To his defense he did see some injury time, but still had 439 AB’s in 2011. Basically I’d want to see that last year was not an aberration. Remember all the hype about trading for Ubaldo Jimenez a few years ago after his “breakout” season? Then, he leveled back off. Paying top dollar in prospects is one thing, but you don’t do it for a one year wonder. At this point I’d do it for Stanton (assuming the price is similar), or I’d give Headley a month to see how he’s looking for 2013.

24. GT Yankee says:

While the team is in dire straights-I’d almost prefer letting a month into the season go by. Headley was awesome with 31HR’s last year, but the year before he hit only 4. To his defense he did see some injury time, but still had 439 AB’s in 2011. Basically I’d want to see that last year was not an aberration. Remember all the hype about trading for Ubaldo Jimenez a few years ago after his “breakout” season? Then, he leveled back off. Paying top dollar in prospects is one thing, but you don’t do it for a one year wonder. At this point I’d do it for Stanton (assuming the price is similar), or I’d give Headley a month to see how he’s looking for 2013.

25. Mike HC says:

I think it would be tough for the Padres to trade Headley. I don’t think a team is going to want to pay huge for one great half of a season, and I don’t think the Padres are going to accept an offer for anything less than equal value for last years production. If by this years trade deadline he is still hitting like last year, than a trade becomes much more likely.

26. Matt :: Sec110 says:

Willing to trade anyone other than Sanchez… 2 OFs, Romine (they need a catcher?) and Nova/Phelps.

Doubt they will trade him though.

Also, for some reason when I went to comment it went to mobile browser version.

27. Manny's BanWagon says:

Problem trading for Headly is the same as the problem trading for Staton or Upton.

In the next year or 2, the Yankees need an influx of multiple good young players to fill several holes. Giving up,half your chips for 1 guy might not leave you n a better position.

28. dc1874 says:

Nov 1972..they got a pretty good 3rd basemen I would say…for there “young stars” John Ellis, Jerry Kenney, Charlie Spikes and Rusty Torres… oh yeah his name was Craig Nettles!!!

• Pat D says:

No, his name was Graig Nettles.

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

To his credit, I don’t know how many times I saw the spelling of his name be completely interchangeable as a kid.

• Pat D says:

Yea, but now there’s this thing called Baseball Reference.

Oh, and there’s the fact that “Craig” was never correct.

• ClusterDuck says:

I believe Spikes was the only one who was a type A prospect.

Perhaps Torres was a type B prospect.

Ellis and Kenny were below average major leaguers.

• I Live In My Mom's Basement says:

Ellis was an average hitter who could catch some, plus he wasn’t yet 24 and was already established at the ML level. That’s worth more than an untested prospect.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

….and they once bought Babe Ruth.

29. Betty Lizard says:

I’m on a trade rumor diet.
    Just seeing Chase Headley in the headline gives me hunger pangs.
    Of course I can munch on as many prospects as I want.
    But it’s just not as satisfying,

30. godfather says:

even with a repeat of his career year, it would make no sense; they aren’t a contender because he shows up, and it’s time to quit acting like they don’t know how limited they are

31. dalelama says:

We don’t have anything on the farm worth Headly. Maybe the Padres will be stupid enough to take some of our flotsam.

32. Fin says:

Essh, when it comes time to resign Headly, the Yankees could have ~50 million tied up at third base between him and Arod. That would have to be a bitter pill for the Yankees to swallow.