Mar

Exhibition Game Thread: Natitude

The Yankees left Florida yesterday and for the first time in 2013, they will play in an actual Major League stadium this afternoon. The Bombers are in the nation’s capital for a quick little one-game exhibition against the Nationals, which will be fun because Jordan Zimmermann is pitching and Bryce Harper is playing. Both are personal faves. Here is the starting nine…

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. 3B Kevin Youkilis
  5. DH Travis Hafner
  6. LF Vernon Wells
  7. 1B Lyle Overbay
  8. SS Eduardo Nunez
  9. C Chris Stewart

And on the mound is the big left-hander from Louisiana, Andy Pettitte. No word on the second stringers, but I’m guessing Ben Francisco, Brennan Boesch, and Jayson Nix get into the game at some point.

This afternoon’s game will begin a little after 2pm ET and can be seen on YES, MLB Network and MLB.tv (free preview!). Or, you know, you could totally watch the game live via the embedded video above. How about that? Pretty freaking awesome. Enjoy the game.

1. Frank says:

Wow, the ability to watch this game is a nice suprise for today… I haven’t caught any pre-season. I’ll leave this running in the background while I work.

2. Monterowasdinero says:

Upsiders vs downsiders.

Good to be a Nats fan finally….

3. dalelama says:

God bless our mess.

4. Guns says:

“Who do the Yanks have pitching today? Andy Pe…… well shit.”

- Bryce Harper

5. Guns says:

Laser show.

6. Glad I am able to watch future Yankee Bryce Harper on TV today.

7. LennonJames says:

I understand less than 50% of the comments posted here so far.

8. Bo Knows says:

OT: Verlander signed a 7 yr 180 million dollar deal, that has an option for an 8th that could push the deal into the 200 million range.

Kershaw is going to cost a shit ton, and Robbie’s market price also went up.

• Mike HC says:

I don’t really think the Verlander deal changed the landscape all the much. Kershaw was already going to break all the pitching contract records and Cano’s situation remains unchanged.

• Bo Knows says:

It sets the market for what Kershaw will ask for in years and Cash. Verlander is 30 with a 7 possibly 8 year deal. Kershaw will be 26 at the time of his FA, if someone, he could easily ask for a 9 year deal at a 25 million dollar per, considering his age and the fact that he is just as good as Verlander.

Robbie, as a fellow 30 yr old can point to Verlanders contract and say, “I’m one of the best players in the league, and I am far more likely to stay healthy than a pitcher on top of the fact that I play everyday.”

9. Cool Lester Smooth says:

So pumped. Bryce Harper is my favorite non-Yankee player.

10. Stratman9652 says:

Save some for later Youk.

11. flamingo says:

Man, I’ve missed this.

• Mike HC says:

Yup, I can’t wait for the season. I was down a bit when the injuries happened, but I’m over it already. Lets get this season started.

12. dkidd says:

who are the washington announcers? they’re great

13. JFH says:

Is this going to be our opening day lineup?

14. Mike HC says:

The new small ball Yanks!

15. flamingo says:

Ha, that was awesome.

16. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

That TOOTBLAN attempt worked out nicely.

17. Cuso says:

Uh oh. The way the offense has hit today is going to trick me into getting the MLB package which I convinced myself I wasn’t going to do because of my money situation. Pettitte looks good, too.

Yankee Baseball, you evil temptress!

18. hornblower says:

The Yanks really need Nix and another backup infielder. Youk is not someone you want at third in the late innings. If they have to pinch hit for Nix they need someone to be another late inning option. Unfortunately, they do not have a 3rd baseman on the 40 man. As of now several players have to be cut from the roster for Overbay and Nix. Could be more going.

19. Mike HC says:

Yankees announcers today are making the most positive posters here seem like doom and gloomers. Not saying what they are claiming is wrong (“season is a marathon, bounce back seasons”), but they are really pushing it, “this lineup is looking pretty good, with the chance to get better.”

20. flamingo says:

The Yankees are going to West Point? “Joe Girardi’s going to have to make his lineup right-left-right-left.”

HA, the Nats announcers are great.

21. Jersey Joe says:

Overbay acquisition was not very highly published on RAB, what are the thoguhts on him?

22. Roadgeek Adam says:

That should be the only Nationals No. 42 jersey ever produced. However, the Nationals have a lot of respect from me for that.

Nice to R-Sor give it to him as well.

23. GreenArm says:

Man oh man, Mo is going to be missed. I’m 32 so I’ve been watching him his entire career. (Although was admittedly too young/green to really follow his MiLB stuff, as it was happening) Even watching him come out to finish this exhibition game, then grin like a m-fer who is just doing his job like a beast, is almost heart-wrenching.

Regardless of how this season goes, I’m going to be very happy to get up to the Bronx as much as possible; Help send him off in style.

24. I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

I hope we have many such games once they count. Strong start, shut down relief, and, um, offense.