Spring Training Record: 12-17 (120 RS, 140 RA)
Spring Training Schedule This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Astros (Tues. on YES), @ Orioles (Weds. on MLB.tv only), vs. Pirates (Thurs.), @ Nationals in Nationals Park (Fri. on YES), @ Army in West Point (Sat. on YES), Sun. OFF
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees signed old friend Chien-Ming Wang to a minor league contract that will pay him $3M at the big league level. He’ll head to Triple-A and serve as veteran rotation depth at least until his opt-out clause kicks in. Wang auditioned himself at the team’s complex in Tampa before signing.
- The deal is not complete yet, but the Yankees are on the verge of acquiring Vernon Wells from the Angels for a low-level prospect. They will reportedly pay him between $10-13M over the next two years. The trade could be wrapped up today.
- Injury News: Derek Jeter (ankle) received a cortisone shot but is likely to start the year on the DL with continued soreness and inflammation. They are targeting an April 6th return. Mariano Rivera (headaches) is reportedly okay to pitch but is awaiting treatment. Boone Logan (elbow) has returned to game action. Clay Rapada (shoulder) will start the season on the DL and Phil Hughes (back) is likely to join him. Brennan Boesch (stiff left ribcage) will be out until Tuesday or Wednesday. Slade Heathcott (knee) has resuming running the bases but has not returned to game action. David Adams (back) and Jose Campos (elbow) both started playing in minor league games.
- Before the Wells (imminent) trade, the Yankees were looking for outfielders and “asking around about anybody” in trades — they have not called about Ramon Hernandez, however — but Brian Cashman said he isn’t looking to move David Phelps. Yuniesky Betancourt isn’t on their radar “at this time.”
- MLB in targeting Alex Rodriguez (and Ryan Braun) for potential discipline as part of their investigation into the South Florida anti-aging clinic Biogenesis.
- MLB and the MLBPA are hoping to implement a worldwide draft by June 1st.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)