Mar

Norris: Chien-Ming Wang working out for Yankees in Tampa

Via Josh Norris: Chien-Ming Wang is with the Yankees in Tampa and is working out for the team. He’ll throw a few bullpen sessions, stuff like that. Ken Davidoff confirmed with the right-hander’s agent that no deal has been reached and they are still talking to multiple teams.

Wang, 32, pitched very well for Chinese Taipei in the World Baseball Classic, throwing 12 scoreless innings across two starts. His trademark sinker was clocked in the 88-92 mph range and the Yankees have had interest in him for about a month now. We know the club is looking for a veteran starter to stash in Triple-A, but the fact remains that Wang has not been an effective pitcher since hurting his foot running the bases in Houston in June 2008. That said, if what he showed during the WBC — heavy sinkers and lots of quick outs — was legit, he’d be perfect on a minor league deal.

1. BJ says:

Oh snap. I’m more okay with this than I thought I’d be. If he’ll take a minor league deal, bring it on.

2. Bob Buttons says:

Oh nostalgia.

A-Rod goes deep, Wang hurt.

3. jjyank says:

I’d love him on a minor league deal. Hopefully his WBC performance was for real.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Yes. Loved Wang when he was healthy. Would love to see him on a minor league deal so the Yankees (hopefully) could determine if his WBC performance was legit.

4. Nate says:

I am irrationally excited about this.

5. G says:

He’s still young. A minor league deal is no risk. Why not?

• Slugger27 says:

he turns 33 next week, not sure id label him “young”….

hes a former yankee so the tone of the comments section will be completely different and more optimistic than if it was a similar tryout with a has-been from another organization…. which i find refreshingly actually, even if its not entirely objective.

6. Jim Is Bored says:

No complaints about dumpster diving and how desperate the Yankees are?

I’m impressed.

All for it, especially on a minor league deal.

• jjyank says:

Heh. I’m guessing that doesn’t apply to former Yankees. Some of those same people wanted to bring back Damon and/or Matsui a year ago.

• hogsmog says:

Sometimes it applies doubly- see Swisher, who was cast as a “playoff choker”. This offseason, I think everyone would have been all over a right fielder with the same numbers named Swick Nisher who played for the Brewers or something. I think the same could be said about Wang.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

No complaints about dumpster diving and how desperate the Yankees are?

Not enough comments yet. Give it time. But seriously, this is exactly the type of deals the Yankees should be looking for. He’s got a major league track record, but is coming off injuries, so he’ll be cheap. The potential for solid performance is there and the financial risk is minimal.

• Slugger27 says:

yeah, what jjyank said. hes a former yankee, so its an automatic pass. if it was a different pitcher who hadn’t been effective since 2008 (say, rich harden or dice K) from a non-yankee organization, then believe me, the dalelama clones would all be out.

• Steve (different one) says:

What if it was a former Yankee who had been quite effective in 2011?

Say his name was Parl Cavano? Or Vavy Jazquez?

• jsbrendog says:

i want there to be a vavy jazquez so bad. and for stirling to have a k call something like SMOOTH JAZZZZ FROM JAZQUEZ!

7. Barry says:

Obligatory:

Great another washed up pitcher. We could of had Chapman and Darvish. But no Cashman just wants to fill this teams with useless scrap pieces. What a joke the Yankees are these days.

• Herby says:

Would that be part of Dalek’s Bag O
        I’d be happy to see him back on a minor league deal. I might feel a little more comfortable with him coming up in an emergency if his WBC production holds up instead of Warren. Despite Warren’s game yesterday I don’t think he’s ready to be a 6th starter.

• MannyGeee says:

Solid B+ for the effort. If you’d allow me to run a red pen through your performance…

– No reference to ‘blocking teh kidz’
      – No ‘grave rolling’

• Nailedit says:

Nailed it! it’s all the Yankees do fill out the team with scrap. Just guys who once were this team isn’t the best of all sports it’s becoming a joke!

8. Would love me big time Wang all in my business.

9. Vern Sneaker says:

“Heavy sinkers” “Quick outs” “12 scoreless innings” — give him a AAA shot, I’d say. And how about some sentimentality for this unlucky really good former Yank?

10. MannyGeee says:

I’d love the concept of having him in Scranton as a break glass option. I think he gets an offer with a team where he’s got a better shot at seeing some MLB action.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Yeah, you’re probably right, but I hope not. Would love to see him get back to his pre-injury form and make it 3 #2′s in the rotation. Imagine having CC, Kuroda, Pettitte and 2008 Wang followed by the best of Hughes/Nova/Phelps. Outstanding rotation. and makes one of the 3 available in trade for Stanton! (One of those 3 should be enough for him, right?)

11. jsbrendog says:

so cashman is just gonna keep signing these washed up old has beens and block all the young guys who the yankees bnever give a chance instead of trading for stanton and signing lohse!?

am i doing it right?

12. trr says:

“Make it so!”

13. rek4gehrig says:

Yippeeeeeee

14. mgr says:

I would like to see him win the long man job and have the loser of the 5 spot start in AAA.

15. nsalem says:

Low K Rates and other peripherals aside he did have a .730 lifetime WP (54-20) on the day he got hurt, which I believe is the highest ever in the history of baseball. If he does actually return to his former self in Scranton the Yankees will be in a delicate but good situation if Nova and/or Phelps are also (hopefully) pitching well.

16. Jim Cavanaugh says:

I will never forget having my 1st ticket to a game in the new Stadium in 2009 and thinking a game w/ Wang against the Indians was a safe bet. He gets shelled and the Yankees lose 22-4. I blame that all on Dave Eiland though cause he sucked lol.

Yes, ill take a flier on Wang cause he may not even get up here so it’s more or less irrelevant.

17. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Would an infield of Rivera-Cano-Nunez-Youkilis with Stewart catching be able to successfully exploit CMW’s strengths?