The Yankees beat the Blue Jays on the road this afternoon, with the big hit being Juan Rivera’s bases loaded double into the right-center field gap (off a lefty). Kevin Youkilis managed to chug all the way around from first to score on the play. That hit accounted for all three runs of the game. David Phelps was dynamite yet again, allowing three hits in five scoreless innings. He’s allowed one run in 14 total innings this spring and is the clear leader for the fifth starter’s job at the moment, assuming it’s an actual competition. Still three weeks to go before Opening Day, however. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…
- CC Sabathia threw a 40-50 pitches in a simulated game this morning and is scheduled to make his Grapefruit League debut on Friday. “(He’s) ahead of where he’s been the last two springs (in terms of) arm strength, pitch-wise, and delivery-wise” said pitching coach Larry Rothschild. Meanwhile, Andy Pettitte is likely to make his Spring Training debut on Wednesday. [Jayson Stark & Erik Boland]
- Derek Jeter is likely to play again tomorrow after making his Grapefruit League debut yesterday. He’ll DH again but could play shortstop as soon as Wednesday. That would be something. [Adam Berry]
- Mariano Rivera is likely to make his next appearance on Wednesday. The Yankees presumably want to give him more than one day off between appearances at this point, and he sure as heck isn’t traveling for the road game on Tuesday. [George King]
- David Robertson (shoulder) will pitch in a game a “shortly.” He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session tomorrow along with Rivera, Phil Hughes (back), and David Aardsma (groin). [Chad Jennings]
- The Cardinals are coming to Tampa tomorrow afternoon, a game that will be broadcast on ESPN in addition to YES and MLB.tv. Hiroki Kuroda gets that start.
Here is your open thread for the evening. Both the Devils and Islanders are in action, plus Team USA is playing Canada in the World Baseball Classic. That game is on MLB Network right now and the winner advances to the second round with the loser being eliminated. Talk about any of that stuff and more. Go nuts.