Mar

Open Thread: 3/10 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

The Yankees beat the Blue Jays on the road this afternoon, with the big hit being Juan Rivera’s bases loaded double into the right-center field gap (off a lefty). Kevin Youkilis managed to chug all the way around from first to score on the play. That hit accounted for all three runs of the game. David Phelps was dynamite yet again, allowing three hits in five scoreless innings. He’s allowed one run in 14 total innings this spring and is the clear leader for the fifth starter’s job at the moment, assuming it’s an actual competition. Still three weeks to go before Opening Day, however. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

• CC Sabathia threw a 40-50 pitches in a simulated game this morning and is scheduled to make his Grapefruit League debut on Friday. “(He’s) ahead of where he’s been the last two springs (in terms of) arm strength, pitch-wise, and delivery-wise” said pitching coach Larry Rothschild. Meanwhile, Andy Pettitte is likely to make his Spring Training debut on Wednesday. [Jayson StarkErik Boland]
  • Derek Jeter is likely to play again tomorrow after making his Grapefruit League debut yesterday. He’ll DH again but could play shortstop as soon as Wednesday. That would be something. [Adam Berry]
  • Mariano Rivera is likely to make his next appearance on Wednesday. The Yankees presumably want to give him more than one day off between appearances at this point, and he sure as heck isn’t traveling for the road game on Tuesday. [George King]
  • David Robertson (shoulder) will pitch in a game a “shortly.” He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session tomorrow along with Rivera, Phil Hughes (back), and David Aardsma (groin). [Chad Jennings]
  • The Cardinals are coming to Tampa tomorrow afternoon, a game that will be broadcast on ESPN in addition to YES and MLB.tv. Hiroki Kuroda gets that start.

Here is your open thread for the evening. Both the Devils and Islanders are in action, plus Team USA is playing Canada in the World Baseball Classic. That game is on MLB Network right now and the winner advances to the second round with the loser being eliminated. Talk about any of that stuff and more. Go nuts.

1. Pasta says:

Brandon phillips may have just crapped in the team USA punchbowl.

2. jjyank says:

Hey Mike, I know this is an on-going issue, and I know that you’ve acknowledged that you guys are working on it, but I thought I should let you know the the mobile-site-syndrom has been on crack for me all day. I didn’t want to bring it up in the other threads, but it’s been happening about 2 out of every 3 page refreshes. It’s never happened to me more than once or twice before, so I never complained, but today was bad. In fact, this comment is being published (hopefully) under the mobile format.

I don’t pretend to know the first thing about running a website, but I just thought you should know that the issue, at least for me, is getting worse.

• Pat D says:

Yea, it’s getting more frequent for me as well. Doesn’t matter what browser I use either.

• Alkaline says:

It’s actually been better for me recently. I hope it gets fixed soon. As annoying it is for us, I’m sure it’s driving Mike crazy, too.

How about that Canada Mexico brawl last night?

• Anthony says:

That’s weird, aside from one or two times last week I’ve been fine. I use firefox, FYI.

• jjyank says:

It is weird. I saw plenty of people complain about it over the last couple of weeks, but it had only happened to me once or twice. But today alone it was at least 5 or 6 times. I use Chrome, for the record.

• Bob Buttons says:

Happens to me every other refresh for the past 10 days or so, and I use chrome (incognito)

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Worried about RAB spying on you?

• Bob Buttons says:

My theory is an alien or group of aliens is using the site to gather data about us, hence the random refresh results, and RAB people are fighting back fiercely, thus sometimes it gets better. The alien(s) is/are doing this because they can only receive TV signals from 10 years ago so they are big fans of the Jays (thus wanting to destroy us Yankees fans, to cut off the Yankees from funds, as the Jays are up-and-coming)

Incognito makes aliens’ work on tracking me down a bit more tedious and hopefully they give up tracking info on me and goes on to the next victim.

• jjyank says:

This really is the only logic conclusion I can come to as well. Perhaps this is also tied into Joe and Ben’s disappearance? Maybe Mike has been brainwashed and is under control of the aliens??

Oh, fuck. Castle RAB is not a castle at all. It’s a god damned Death Star.

• Bob Buttons says:

Joe and Ben have been held captive by the aliens, and Mike has created an artificial intelligence to run the site while he’s away hunting down the aliens who took Joe and Ben (along with several other writers)

P.S. The disappearance of some folks from the comment sections is due to the fact that…
                  THEY’RE HEEEEERE

• Dalek Jeter says:

You guys have no idea what your talking about with the aliens “holding captives,” and “Death Stars,” as well as “Blue Jay Fans,” I for one welcome our new alien overlords.

I blame Ichiro.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Well played.

• trr says:

Yes! That’s it!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

So do I. It’s been just as much of an issue for me.

I have a high tolerance for internet quirks but, yeah, I’d love to see that fixed.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Yeah, before today it hadn’t happened since the first day we had the problem (about a week or so ago) but then four or five times today.

• Eddard says:

Good luck trying to get an answer from Mike. I’ve tried everything. He won’t give a simple answer as to why it’s happening and when we can expect it to be fixed. Even the Attorney General eventually provided a simple answer to a simple question.

3. forensic says:

Geez, at least 3 times in this game Torre has tried to give away outs to Canada. Talk about pitiful.

And this middle school crap about needing to play everyone is also irritating.

4. Pasta says:

Think torre would love to use kimbrel for 6 outs.

5. Pasta says:

Oye that hernadez guy sucked the life out of the game.

6. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Bringing in a reliever to intentionally walk the bases loaded is one of the dumbest baseball strategies ever.

• Dalek Jeter says:

+1 I think you should always use the guy you’re about to take out to IBB the guy, then bring in the new pitcher.

• jjyank says:

Yup. Why start a new pitcher out by making him throw balls? Might as well use the guy who won’t face another batter.

• forensic says:

Welcome to Torre-ball. Sure don’t miss it.

Not to mention it was freaking Pete Orr that he walked…

7. Dalek Jeter says:

Idk much about Seshek, but was he really the best option in that situation?

• BigBlueAL says:

The best option was using Affeldt to start the inning vs all the lefties but they mentioned earlier in the game that Torre had said Hernandez and Bell (who pitched the 7th) had to pitch today because they hadnt pitched yet this weekend.

8. BigBlueAL says:

Watching USA in the WBC is so frustrating. I actually love the concept of this tourney and living in Miami I know alot of hispanics who are so into this (basically rooting for Cuba, DR and PR) and seeing the way countries like Cuba manage and play this tourney its so blatantly clear how hamstrung USA is in not only their roster composition but in how their pitching staff is used.

• Barry says:

Oh it is true for sure, and usually (manager dependent)you get chewed out and screwed on shifts next schedule week if you call out. People don’t realize how brutal the restaurant business is on everyone from the head chef to the waiter to the dishwasher. Usually it’s just load up on whatever eases the symptoms and tough it out..

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Bourdain’s “Kitchen Confidential” STILL is a great book on restaurant shenanigans. I’d also recommend Phoebe Damrosch’s “Service Included” as a fun read on how shitty/crazy even the high end restaurant business is.

I did a lot of retail when I was younger, but never worked in the food industry.

• jjyank says:

I worked in food service from 15-20 on various jobs. It was terrible. Never, ever again.

• Barry says:

Yeah I’ve been at it for like 4 years now.. I started at a resort and then jumped up to the country club which is higher end.. Much better at the higher end level but still tough work. Never jumped into any books about it but I am a big fan of Ramsey, I bet he runs a good tight ship at his establishments.. I preferred it over retail because I don’t like being limited to an hourly income and less than 40 hrs a week.. You can make crazy money at a restaurant(there lies the trap though).

• Barry says:

Idk why I thought you said Ramsey’s something.. Bourdain is the man as well though..

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Disagree on Ramsey. I’m sure he did a good job at first, but his name was put on an awful lot of stuff he has no control over, and the TV stuff is pretty cartoonish. I’m pretty sure The London here in NYC crashed and burned.

Of course, the problem with celebrity chefs, Top Chef, etc., is that we all now think we know what the ins and out of a kitchen are. :)

• Barry says:

Kitchen guys=work crazy hours like slaves to not make as much money as servers/bartenders.. That’s one place I’d never want to work is the kitchen.

• Tom from England says:

Will put ‘kitchen confidential’ on hold at my local library – having worked in the restaurant industry in my ‘formative years’ – definitely know how brutal it can be.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Yup. I worked as a delivery boy/waiter/dishwasher for a very popular pizzeria for almost 3 years, and while we had set schedules, if you wanted to call out sick you had to find your cover and call the boss 2 hours before your shift started. A “no call, no show” was an automatically fire-able offense. At any given time there was anywhere from 7 to 15 ppl working, and in nearly 3 years I can count on my hands the number of times everybody on staff was healthy.

• hey now says:

Bad link. What would it inform us?

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I have a friend who used to work at a restaurant as a waiter. When I asked him if he spit in customers’ food he said “ABSOLUTELY! We did it all the time if you annoyed us!”

Be nice to your waiters and waitresses.

• jjyank says:

The movie “Waiting” is far more accurate than some people want to know. Be nice to the people that handle your food. Always. And tip them a respectable amount. They’ll remember you if you don’t.

• Dalek Jeter says:

We weren’t nearly as bad as the guys in Waiting were, but this is the truth. It’s really such a simple thought process, “Don’t fuck with people who can fuck with your food.”

• Barry says:

That’s all guest dependent really.. Some guests get it much worse. Of course, never ever, ever by me, ever.

9. Dalek Jeter says:

God, if I’m a pitcher, this guy’s strike zone would drive me INSANE.

10. Dalek Jeter says:

Hosmer is going to be a really good hitter.

11. hogsmog says:

Isn’t it likely that we get to see a little Phelps no matter who “wins” the 5th starter competition, because Hughes probably won’t make his first start?

12. Robinson Tilapia says:

A lot more people following the WBC than I am. Haven’t watched a game yet. I become VERY Yankee-focused during the season. Definitely not one of those fans who’ll watch any old baseball game on.

The Mustellier thread seems to have died a bit, and I’m truly afraid of all the premature ejaculation going on there (great use for an RAB rally towel), so I’ll give my brief two cents here: I’m for giving him a look as Option C at third base, especially if he’s at least on equal footing defensively with (gasp!) Corban Joseph, who hasn’t looked good at all there. I like what I’ve seen from him offensively thus far. He certainly looks more advanced than the other MiLBers…..who are five years younger than him, of course.

• Bob Buttons says:

Well.. you can’t spell ejaculation without e and lation

• Barry says:

If his bat’s good enough they should find a fit, whether it be in LF, 3B, or (shocker) testing him at 1B. He gets knocked for age but he did jump right into MiLB and start hitting out of the international setting.. I doubt his competition was much bettter (probably much worse) than AA/AAA wherever he played before MiLB.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yes. Not going out of my way, though. He’s going to get a shot this season with the level of MLB depth right now, whether it’s now or later. He needs to make the most of it. He’ll play in the big leagues this year.

Cuban league would be equivalent to what, High-A?

• Barry says:

I don’t know if anyone could even give it an equivalency seeing as it’s hard to get any info about anything going on inside Cuba. Maybe talent wise High-A but with more game intensity since I’d assume it’s like the MLB to them?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You can say that about any country’s league, though.

I don’t understand why everyone needs to rise so strongly to his defense. No one’s saying he doesn’t have the potential to be good. It’s just no great crime that every spotlight isn’t on him right now.

I hope he goes into the HOF in pinstripes.

• Barry says:

If he goes into the hall of fame that would be EPIC. like Bible epic.

• hogsmog says:

I don’t see it so much as rising to his defense as being reasonable. Yes, it is absolutely possible he’s an AAAA player (in fact, it is almost certain). But that doesn’t mean he can’t fill in for a month. It seems like around here, it’s cool to knock the “Ronnie to the Hall!” people, but I don’t even think those people really exist.

Yeah it’s fun to make strawmen and knock them down, but I’ve been sort of peeved of how silly people are being about the RAB perception of this guy (“Oh you all think he is great because he’s hitting .350, but that’s against AAA pitchers, and his defense sucks, ans SSS, so just go back to your Joe Morgan/Dusty Baker powow!”). I mean, we get it? He’s not going to be a starter, but it almost sounds like people are hoping he sucks so they can hand out I-told-you-sos.

• jjyank says:

You’re overestimating both sides here.

• Havok9120 says:

We see plenty of people insisting that he MUST play and MUST break with the team because his bat is just so good than no excuse is acceptable. And yes, I make fun of that, because roster construction matters and simply waving our arms and shouting “try the kids or else!” is silly and what almost every comments section to pieces about RM devolves into.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He’s a candidate to fill in for a month. I just don’t think he’s the top candidate. He’s not on the 40-man, and Mesa and/or the vets on MiLB contracts offer other advantages.

He’ll be up at some point this season.

• jjyank says:

The “if his bat is good enough” thing is a huge fucking wildcard though. The age thing is also huge. He’s a more polished 28 year old playing against 22 year olds with less experience. Is it possible that he does well in the MLB? Sure. Is it likely? There’s very little evidence to support that. He’s not getting high marks from ANY scouts that do rankings. That says a hell of a lot more to me than the fawning over him by RAB commenters.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I loved the at-bat where he hit the ball into the gap yesterday.

• Barry says:

Well I wouldn’t say he’s playing against 22 yr olds in AAA, I’d imagine the avg age would be a few years higher than that.. Idk anyway to check avg age of the AAA system?

• jjyank says:

AAA is trickier on that because there are plenty of journeymen and older vet depth guys. I don’t think the average age makes sense. But in terms of real talent, actual prospects that he might be playing against? Yeah, I think they’d be in the 21-23 range for the most part.

Again, there’s a reason why he’s not getting ranked highly anywhere. It’s not like only one publication is down on him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

To his credit, I don’t think anyone’s giving a 28 y/o in AAA any sort of look to begin with in prospect watches.

• Barry says:

Yeah I agree on that but usually AAA isn’t loaded with high end talent anyway, at least not for a full season. I agree on him getting knocked with his age but it’s not entirely his fault for being older at the level like a Shelley Duncan or perpetual AAAA type. His maturity definitely gives him an edge but I don’t think it should completely discount his results. We’ll see this year when he hits the field.. If I had to compare him to someone from recent Yankee past I would say maybe Juan Miranda, but I think Musty would translate better to MLB than him.

• jjyank says:

I agree with you on this. It’s obviously not his fault, and there’s a very real chance that he’s more than a quad-A player. I guess my comments are more in reaction to the attitude of some (not you) commenters over the past 6-10 months or so who include Mustelier in the “PLAY TEH KIDS” chants and anoint him as a savior if he gets enough at bats.

His numbers are good, there’s no denying that. But for me, personally, I feel that he would be more highly regarded (even with the age difference) if scouts thought his skills could translate to the MLB.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There’s so much….lather over him that we often wind up defending the other complete end of the spectrum when it’s not what we honestly mean.

I’m entirely open to him being a good player.

• jjyank says:

Of course, we all want him to be good. I don’t think anybody is rooting against anybody. I am not a Mustelier believer, but I would like very much to be proven wrong.

• Barry says:

I agree, people have been giving him the savior treatment. I don’t see him as that either. I just want to see if he can provide any value. Either way, I’m just curious more than anything as to how valuable he could be. If he can hit a little better than league average than he’d be valuable IMO.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Sickels actually likes him quite a bit for a 28 year old. He’s got a good swing, good bat speed and some pop. Apparently he’s also pretty quick for a short, tubby dude.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“Yeah, I know, he’s 28. Too old to be a prospect. But that also means you don’t have to worry about messing up his long-term development if he doesn’t pan out.”

Exactly.

It’s not 28.

No matter what way you slice it, he’s several years older than your average MiLB player. It may not matter in spades, but it’s going to matter.

13. Dalek Jeter says:

3 Things:

1. I feel like I’m alone on the site tonight.
    2. Cano is on fire to open the WBC, 7-11 w/ a 1st inning single tonight
    3. There is somebody with a horn at the Puerto Rico/DR game that deserves to be shot in the testicles.

• Bob Buttons says:

1) Everyone is scurrying and grabbing their tin-foil hats. You don’t have to worry since they already got you.

2) Speaking of Cano, today I realize that the percentage of Canadian baseball fans that are cunts really aren’t much lower (if lower at all) than the cunts in the USA. Saw a few guys (who are probably Canadian) saying “now we need Cano injured” while being bored and looking around for Teixeira news.

3) That’s too little. Inflict upon him whatever Cashman did to dalelama’s pets.

• Fran says:

I’m right there with u on that horn. It’s even worse than that effin drum in cleveland. I finally just muted the sound.

14. Eddard says:

Our opposition to trading away Dave Phelps and Ivan Nova should be absolute. Especially for a one year bandaid like Chase Headley, who will never be retained next year with Teixera and A-Rod on the books until kingdom come.

Brian Cashman said this week that the team nearly traded Mo Rivera for Felix Fermin because the team “needed” a SS. You would have traded way the greatest closer of all time and washed 5 world championships down the toilet. Who else would you have traded away? Andy? Well, we have to upgrade 3B because we’ll never win with Charlie Hayes and Scotty Brosius.

I thought we had gotten past bailing on these kids before they’re even given a chance. With a $189 million payroll you won’t be able to afford to re-sign Cano and reload the starting rotation. The Yankees don’t bring many MLB starters up through their farm system anyway so to trade away the few that have made it for a temporary fix is a panic move that should have died with George.

• Bob Buttons says:

Eddard making sense. I see.

PEOPLE, THEY GOT EDDARD TOO!

• jjyank says:

I disagree. I don’t disagree with his overall point so much, but as I said below, Headley is not a bandaid, and guys like Phelps and Nova are really, really far away from Eddard’s untouchable status. That’s just silly.

• Bob Buttons says:

In my defense I’m watching the DR/PR game so I only read the last paragraph.

• Laz says:

Headley has gotten pretty overrated imho.
          His peripherals didn’t change that much this year, and they don’t suggest that he is the 30-35 hr 3B that way too many people are making him out to be. He isn’t a-gon or anyone else, his power is not nearly at that threshold.

• Laz says:

Then you have to factor that in addition to giving up the prospects you are taking away ability to sign free agents, because he is already making $9M, then arb will probably put him at ~$9M.

• jjyank says:

Headley isn’t a bandaid. You lost me right there. Move along.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He’s in between, though. I was mistaken on that earlier. Only signed through 2014. It’s not THAT much team control. I’d consider giving a testicle if he was signed through 2016 or something.

• jjyank says:

I guess it’s a matter of semantics. I consider a bandaid a trade deadline rental. Two years of Headley is not a bandaid, and it’s certainly not someone you hide Phelps and Nova from in trade talks.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s someone I hide more than one of Austin/Williams/Slade from, though, and keep Sanchez under lock and key from.

• jjyank says:

Wait, you’d be more hesitant to withhold Nova or Phelps rather than the OF trio? I’m gonna have to disagree with you there, R-Tils. Unless I’m misunderstanding you.

• Barry says:

More like a condom..(get it: protection for the future..mwhaha)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Who rolls over in their grave at the thought of Papa Bear trading a young Mo for Fermin? PONDER THAT ONE.

I’d trade one of them in the right deal. Headley would potentially be that depending on who else goes. I’m not shopping them openly, though.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I will literally suck your dick if Phelps or Nova ever become 3/4ths as important as Mariano Rivera. Also, we would have Headley under contract for 2 years (2013 and 2014) fwiw.

15. Pasta says:

Good game pr vs dr but that fucking horn needs to go. There should be a law no horns

16. Heismanziel says:

You think cano is going to cost a lot now, just wait until he wins the MVP this year. Yikes.

• jjyank says:

I’ll be more than happy to have him win the MVP and take my chances. Certainly better than rooting for a non-MVP so he’d be cheaper to sign, in my opinion.

• Barry says:

Regardless, I still cringe at the thought of that contract..

• jjyank says:

I doubt it’s going to be a particularly pretty contract, but he is my favorite player right now, so on some level, I just don’t give a shit. Victory lap, baby.

• Barry says:

I just can imagine it becoming A-Rod bad.. Some of Cano’s charts are eerily similar to don’t throw Chuck’s.

17. Barry says:

Wow, just for giggles I checked what ZIPS thought of Austin in a projection, they’re already bullish on him.. They think he could be 1.9 wins and a .329 woba.. I know it’s meaningless but that’s pretty high for a guy with limited AA experience.

• Tom says:

Who’s this Christopter Austin guy? Any relation to Tyler?

And how come noone has mentioned Zachary Heathcott on any of their prospect lists?

(Gotta love searching for minor leaguers on Fangraphs -I remember you mentioning Austin the other day)

The ZIPS stuff is interesting – it is usually pretty conservative. I wonder how well it does with A ball data.

• Barry says:

No clue but it is interesting that they’re so high on someone who hasn’t even put in more than 2 games at AA.

18. Heismanziel says:

I agree 100 percent. If robbie wins the MVP, we are more than likely going to be in the playoffs. I was just pointing out that He could make a SHIT ton more than people think right now. He wins the MVP and boras will market him as the best player in baseball and most likely try to break just about every contract record in baseball history.

19. MarcAnthony says:

Fucking Devils giving me heart attacks, NICE win. Maybe they’re starting to pull out of this nosedive.

At least Team U.S.A. got out of the first round.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Whoops, Marc is me. I use MarcAnthony for a couple of other places (mostly political/religious blogs, so I’m not linking).

And no, it’s not my real name either.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Do you use it for salsa music blogs?

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I tried to think of a witty joke but couldn’t, so I’ll be honest instead: I don’t know the names of any salsa music songs, let alone the existence of any blogs. So there you go.

20. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I don’t give a shit if the Yankees give Cano a lifetime contract for 500 million a year if he wins the MVP. WS or bust, baby.

21. Dalek Jeter says:

Robbie’s even busting out infield hits!

22. Pat D says:

My anthropology professor said that the absolute latest he could accept our finals is 9 AM tomorrow. He has to have the grades in shortly after that. So, me being me, after seeing I did in fact get an A and not an A- on my midterm, decided I could procrastinate further even though I’d only written about one page of what needed to ultimately be somewhere between 6-8. Hence I did next to no work on it yesterday. Now here we are and I’m still not finished with it. I really wanted to have it done by 8, then by midnight. Now I’m shooting for about 2. I only have to write 2 more pages at most, but I have go back through the readings to decide what I’m going to write.

In summation, I’m glad to see that I’m now 32 years old and still have the responsibility of a brick wall. I really hope my economics class doesn’t have papers.

• Barry says:

I’m the same way in school dude, I procrastinate but I always pull out with one of the best grades. You just work better on a crunch, don’t beat yourself up over it.

If you still lived in the dorms you’d have someone to get Aderol from and you wouldn’t even have any worries. Drugs are bad m’kay.

• Pat D says:

I’d rather just take painkillers. Between my knees, my back (occasionally) and my feet, I could deal with not feeling anything.

Of course that isn’t going to prevent the possibility of knee replacement and foot amputation down the road. I still think I’ll be dead before we get to those points, though, so…it’s all good?

• Dalek Jeter says:

fascinating, it seems that regardless of age, the work ethic of college students never changes. =P Don’t beat yourself up Pat, I’m 3 classes behind in my math class because I’ve been sick for the last couple weeks, and instead of doing anything to catch up I’m enjoying some scotch. But seriously though, two pages? You got this, you’ll be done by 1 my man, and obviously you know your shit if you got an A on your midterm.

• Pat D says:

It easier to work with music playing, I’m now remembering. To write about the violence of Haitian street children while Kenny Rogers sings “You Decorated My Life” has to be one of the ultimate forms of irony that could ever possibly exist.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Dude, I once had a Psych paper due in an Intro class that I had, like, a month to work in (it was in our syllabus from the first day but it kept getting pushed back). It wasn’t even supposed to be long.

By 10 AM the night before it was due I had just started it. I knew what it was supposed to be about and how many sources I had to have but I had no clue what the length was supposed to be other than “Not 20 pages”.

I got it done by about 3:30, 6 pages worth, and I got an A.

Some people work better under pressure. I am DEFINITELY one of those people, and we can only hope you are too. God help you.

• Bob Buttons says:

Back in HS there was a time where I had to read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for a quiz that was worth I think 5% or 10% of the entire grade. Could not, for the life of me, get past the first 10 pages for the two weeks or so. Then for some strange reason I managed to read the whole damn book starting at 2 or 3 in the morning without falling asleep (and did quite well on the quiz too.)

Another time I think I took a 30-minute nap while we were suppose to write some in-class essay on some boring crap we’ve read. Did okay on that too.

To sum up, have to agree, some people don’t work all that well until the last minute. Sucks for me that I’m pushing my work later and later into the night.

23. Dalek Jeter says:

Most entertaining 1:30 in soccer history http://www.youtube.com/watch?f.....gO-pQBo68w

• Barry says:

Are those ferrets? They’re big ones if they are..
      If they could find a way to integrate them into the game soccer would probably take off in America.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I have no idea, but that is the longest continuous time I’ve watched a soccer match of my own free will, w/o complaining.

• Bo Knows says:

Close those were Weasels, but I agree MLS could completely win over a generation of kids to soccer permanently if they included streaking weasels chases at random moments

24. Robinson Tilapia says:

One GREAT line about our favorite future HOFer from the Dossier article:

“Puig and Soler cost the Dodgers and Cubs a combined $72,000,000 to sign. Mustelier cost the deep-pocket Yankees just $50,000. Irony is cool.”

Remember that next time you’re yelling at Cashman for not throwing the bank at the next Cuban guy who’s name you don’t even know. Star or not, this guy’s probably getting a big league at-bat this season.

• Barry says:

Heh.. if he produces a few runs he’ll be worth more than that and will end up being the better deal. I can already feel that dollar leaving my wallet.

25. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

For those interested: we’re 275 dollars away from being able to afford the rights to Godspell. That is IT. We found another licensing company that was not Music Theatre International, and they offered us an unbelievable deal. Oh yeah, 275 dollars away from having TWO performances.

Sound like it’ll be easy to raise? That’s because you’ve never had to raise 275 dollars (and if you have and found it easy, I mean this as nicely as possible but fuck you). 10 businesses later, not a single cent (selling ads). Right now we’re having a fundraiser selling Tastefully Simple food online/out of a catalog, but it’s slim pickings. I’m going to keep trying with the businesses, and maybe we’ll run a five dollar cabaret.

It is really, REALLY frustrating to be this close and to still be making so little progress.

We’ve done so much, too. We got a theater, a director, a tech director, a stage manager…we just need those 275 dollars, and we’re in.

Fucking frustrating as Hell.

• Pat D says:

Makes you wanna holler,
      the way they do your life

Oh, sorry, that song just came up on my playlist. But, yea, this process sounds very taxing and frustrating. Hopefully it all pays off in the end.

• Bob Buttons says:

Not to be cynical or awfully down on human kind, but to offer advice: Most strangers and/or semi-strangers only care about what YOU can do for HIM/HER. If you provide a service that appeal to him/her more than your other competitors, and/or if their contributions can bring back more than what (s)he contributed, you’ve got half the crap done.

I know, mostly vague and useless crap, but then again it wouldn’t really hurt.

26. Pat D says:

Well, I finished before 2. Now hopefully my professor can read it with enough time. Tee hee.

27. Pat D says:

Oh, and I’d just like to add…I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.