Mar

Open Thread: 3/11 Camp Notes

Al Roker was in camp today. No the Yankee didn't sign him. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Al Roker was in camp today. No the Yankee didn’t sign him. (AP/Kathy Willens)

The Yankees shutout the Cardinals this afternoon, with Hiroki Kuroda looking very sharp across four scoreless (and walkless) innings. He struck out six. David Robertson returned to game action with a scoreless inning, and afterwards he told Erik Boland his shoulder “felt great.” That’s pretty much the only real newsworthy item from the game.

Kevin Youkilis started the scoring with the solo homer and then a sacrifice fly, then Zoilo Almonte and Matt Diaz plated runs with a bases loaded walk and hit-by-pitch, respectively. Ichiro Suzuki doubled while Brett Gardner, Corban Joseph (two), and Chris Stewart all singled. Solid game all around. Here’s the box score and here’s the latest from Tampa…

• No surprise here, but the three-man catching competition is officially over: the Yankees announced Austin Romine was sent to minor league camp. It’ll be Stewart and Frankie Cervelli come Opening Day. RHP Dellin Betances, RHP Brett Marshall, LHP Manny Banuelos, LHP Francisco Rondon, LHP Nik Turley, RHP Jose Ramirez, RHP Chase Whitley, OF Ramon Flores, 1B Luke Murton, and C J.R. Murphy were also cut. The Yankees still have 54 players in big league camp by my unofficial count.
  • Phil Hughes (bulging disk) threw a 26-pitch bullpen session this morning and said it felt “just like a normal bullpen.” He will throw live batting practice on Thursday, but it is still unclear if he’ll be ready for the start of the regular season.  [Jayson Stark & Jack Curry]
  • David Aardsma (groin) threw another bullpen session today and everything is fine. Have to think he’ll return to game action relatively soon. Boone Logan (elbow) is scheduled to throw in the bullpen tomorrow. [Andy McCullough & Chad Jennings]
  • Infielders Gil Velazquez and Walt Ibarra returned to camp now that Mexico has been eliminated from the World Baseball Classic. Robinson Cano won’t be back anytime soon — the Dominican Republic advanced to the second round, which begins tomorrow. [George King]
  • The Yankees will travel 100 miles south tomorrow afternoon to play the Rays in Port Charlotte. Ivan Nova gets the start and Cervelli, Travis Hafner, Dan Johnson, Eduardo Nunez, Jayson Nix, and Juan Rivera are the projected big leaguers making the trip. That game will not be broadcast on television.

Here is your open thread for the evening. The Knicks and Nets are both playing tonight, plus MLB Network will air a Spring Training game later tonight. You folks know how these things work by now, so have at it.

1. Havok9120 says:

So, I got to thinking today:

We all know about the Cap’n's propensity for GIDPs. I’m curious whether people would prefer Jeter, Gardner, Cano or Gardner, Jeter, Cano to start the season. I think I’d prefer the former with Ichiro batting 9th.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Not much chance Ichiro bats 9th to start the season. Maybe if/when everybody is back and healthy he will.
      My guess is he’d either bat 1,2,6, or 7.

• Havok9120 says:

That’d be my guess as well. I was just stating my preference. It was primarily triggered by Chad speculating about Gardner starting so much at the top of the order with Ichiro batting elsewhere.

The question still stands though. Would you prefer Gardner/Ichiro up top with Jeter at 2 or vice-versa?

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

It would depend if it was Gardner or Ichiro.
          I’d go Gardner 1 or Ichiro 2 with Jeter in the other spot.
          My preference would probably something like:
          Gardner
          Jeter
          Cano
          Youk
          Hafner
          Musty?Rivera?PTBNL?
          Ichiro
          Cervelli
          Mesa?

• Havok9120 says:

That looks about right to me. I can’t decide if I like the whole “capable speedy dude at the bottom of the lineup” thing as much as Girardi does, but that’s the only thing that might get me to put one of Gardner/Ichiro 9th instead of 7th. The AB differential would be negligible at worst that low in the order.

• jjyank says:

That looks pretty good to me. As I alluded to before, I think I’d actually swap Youk and Hafner against RHP though.

• Dalek Jeter says:

As a lot of people know I was veimently against the Ichiro trade and signing, but until he proves that the second half of 2012 wasn’t a fluke, or until Gardner proves he’s back to his ~.360 OBP self I would start the season:
      Jeter
      Ichiro
      Youk
      Cano
      Hafner
      1B/3B (which ever Youk isn’t)
      LF
      Cevelli
      Gardner

• Mike Axisa says:

You’d give Youkilis AND Ichiro more at-bats than Cano?

• Dalek Jeter says:

Just to start the season, if Gardner continues his hot hitting for the first two weeks of the season, drop Ichiro to sixth.

Also the reason I think Youk should hit third is he still sees an ungodly number of pitches and walks a shit ton. I don’t want Cano to just get as many AB’s as possible I want him to have as many AB’s w/ runners on as possible.

• Havok9120 says:

Eeeeck. I’m not sure about that. I mean, against lefties, sure. But I think I want him to do something against righties before we stick him ahead of Robbie.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I’d be okay with that against lefties. I might do something like Gardner, Jeter, Cano, Hafner against righties.

Part of this is assuming Cano’s stuggles against LHP last year was a fluke. Age and injury issues aside, Hafner had a 123 wRC+ against RHB last year, and 147 in 2011.

• hogsmog says:

I really don’t think I’d be able to deal with any lineup where Cano doesn’t bat third.

• forensic says:

I want to keep the speedy singles hitters directly in front of cano partly so they can score from first on his nearly 50 doubles this year. Youk won’t score from first nearly as much.

• Laz says:

in 2011 Gardner was 10th in the league with 4.19 pitches/PA. Ichiro saw 3.48 last year.

• vin says:

Not like it matters in Girardi’s world, but…

Maybe something like this:

Cano
          Granderson
          Youkilis
          Tex
          Jeter
          Gardner
          Ichiro
          Hafner
          Cervelli

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

The most interesting thing about that to me was the link arguing that Robbie was actually the second best player in the league, not Miggie. Interesting argument.

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

File this under things that will never happen but I’d actually go for:

Gardner
        Youk
        Jeter
        Cano
        Hafner
        Ichiro
        1B/3B
        LF
        Cervelli

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

Or that lineup against lefties and this lineup against righties

Ichiro
          Gardner
          Jeter
          Cano
          Hafner
          Youk
          1B/3b
          LF
          Cervelli

• LK says:

I’m not sure I understand. You’re saying that until Ichiro proves the end of 2012 wasn’t a fluke, you’d have him in the most important spot in the lineup? It seems like you’re already assuming it wasn’t a fluke.

• Havok9120 says:

I think he meant “was a fluke” and not “wasn’t.”

• LK says:

In that case I really couldn’t disagree more. There’s nothing to suggest that it wasn’t a fluke. I’d love for Ichiro prove that it wasn’t, but I’m not going to trust him until he does.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. I’d like to see him at the bottom of the lineup until he proves otherwise.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure that will actually happen.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, I’m pretty much there. I’d rather trust Gardner than Ichiro. At least until he proves he’s actually still Ichiro (!).

• MannyGeee says:

I would bet that the 3/4/5 hitters will be Cano Youk Pronk in that order till Tex is batch, then Cano Tex Pronk Youk thereafter. And with Granderson back he hits 5th with everyone shifting down. Got to split up those lefty rights as much as possible, or so a wise binder once told me.

• Laz says:

Sounds reasonable. But would really depend on what it looks like when they come back. There is a foreseeable scenario where both Hafner and Youkilis are both mashing it.

• Heismanziel says:

Jeter
      Gardy
      Cano
      Youk

I know Youk is not the same player he used to be, but can you imagine putting him and gardy ( both of whom see a ton of pitchers) in between Cano? That would be more than frustrating to navigate around. Putting two guys that are both selective and see a lot of pitchers per AB around cano would only help Robbie.

• Herby says:

I think I’d prefer Jeter batting second, my worry is with Gardner on first Jeter will have the, “I must bunt him over,” mantra playing in his head.

• Heismanziel says:

It would be nice if no one had a locked spot in the lineup. Joe needs to get real creative this year and mix things up. A lot of these guys our pretty interchangeable at the moment. Yes.. I am asking for the binder to be creative and think outside the box.

• LK says:

I don’t really see the benefit to moving guys around the lineup all the time. It’s not going to make them hit better.

• Heismanziel says:

I don’t want Joe to play musical chairs with the lineup just for the sake of it. I am just saying that if guys are struggling or whatever that I hope he is more open to moving guys around. I understand he is more hesitant to do so when all the big names guys are in the lineup.. but that should not be the case for the first month of this season.

• Havok9120 says:

That’s walking an awful thin line though. How long does a guy need to be cold for him to be deemed “struggling?” 20 ABs? 45? Especially if you’re talking the first month of the season. It seems like a way to feel better about Doing Something more than anything else.

• Laz says:

I don’t like shifting it based on hot/cold. Play your best players in order. If someone is cold after 150+ PA then adjust, but it often takes awhile before you realize it’s a cold or it’s a hot streak.

• Tom from England says:

Read a recent interview with Swisher and he said being moved around the lineup as much as he was last year threw him off his game – and he says most Major Leaguers feel the same way. They like to know where they’ll be hitting before they get to the park. Makes sense.

• jjyank says:

I’d like to see Gardner, Jeter, Cano. I know Jeets has the GIDP problem, but if IIRC, that started to happen more when Damon was in front of him. Might happen less if Gardner is on base instead.

• Laz says:

Bit overblown on Jeter. Is simply because of his lack of speed at this time. He hit into 24 last year, compared to 22 for Cano, in 43 more PA.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Jeter GIDP in 24% of his possible chances last year.
          Cano – 13%.

Only MLB players w/400+ PA’s with a higher GIDP% than Jeter were Michael Young and James Loney.

• Get Phelps Up says:

My out of left field lineup, at least against LHP:

Gardner CF
      Youkilis 1B
      Jeter SS
      Cano 2B
      Hafner DH
      Nunez 3B
      Mustillier/Mesa/Rivera, etc. LF
      Cervelli/Stewart C
      Ichiro RF

• vicki says:

i’d like us all the take it easy on the gidp myth. guys who get a ton of pa’s on teams that have guys who got on base in front of them naturally hit into double plays, yknow, frequently. yes, there was a (pre-DL/denbo) time when the capn was turning his wrists over, but come on. have a look at alltime highest single season gidp. lotta overlap with the hof.

2. Professor Longnose says:

What’s the over/under on the number of runs the Yankees will score and give up this season combined?

3. Eddard says:

Gardner should bat leadoff and play CF all year. I just don’t understand this notion that we have to keep Granderson and Ichiro happy and put them in positions that are suboptimal. Ichiro should not be hitting in the top 3, he should hit 8th ahead of Stewart/Cervelli. Granderson and Ichiro are veterans and should accept what the manager hands down.

• Laz says:

If Granderson is ready to bounce back I would love to have in the top 3. If he can get that obp back up to .340-.350 range he is still someone that can hit 40 HR. I want someone like that to get the most ab possible.

4. Mouse says:

To combat Jeter GIDP’s, Gardner needs to run early and often.

5. Dalek Jeter says:

So, I just told my Met fan friend, w/o thinking that I would “eat a bag of dicks” if Jon Neise is a top 20 pitcher this season, I know nothing about the kid…what are the odds that I will have to eat a bag of dicks?

6. Heismanziel says:

The most underrated aspect of our season has to be the fact that we finish with three games against the Astros. Talk about perfect timing.

• Herby says:

With 3 rookie starters they call up from AAA. That could get scary.

• Havok9120 says:

I noticed that. And our other series with them? End of April.

We need to cash in all over that.

• Heismanziel says:

Yep. Actually both series vs the Astros come at very good times. The one in april is going to be very nice with the schedule we have the rest of the month.

Already got my tickets for the final game of the season vs the stros. It could be Mo’s last game, and will for sure be his last regular season game ever.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, I’m already putting a posse together for a road trip to either Houston or Tampa for exactly that reason. I haven’t seen Mo pitch since I was too young to care what was going on, and that is Not Acceptable. I’d prefer Atlanta but we don’t play them this year.

• jjyank says:

I’m going to miss him this year, but I saw him close out 2 games in 2011. I wish I could make something happen this year, but finances/new job dictate otherwise. Just gotta hope that I cheered loud enough all those other times :)

• Get Phelps Up says:

The last time I saw Mo pitch live he gave up a walkoff loss.
            I’m pretty sure I’m going to the games in LA and San Diego this year though, so I should get to see him at least one more time.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I’ve only been to two Yanks games, and Mo blew the save in both of them.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Stop going to Yankee games.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

No way! The Yankees walked off in both of them. The last one I saw was the Gardner walkoff single against the Royals in 2008 and my first game in 2005 was the Bernie walkoff HR against the Rangers.

• Havok9120 says:

So you’ll be able to finally go to a game again once he retires. That must be exciting.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There was once a stretch in which I couldn’t avoid a Darrell Rasner start to save my life.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I saw one of the Sidney Ponson starts in 2008.

*shudder*

• Tom from England says:

Went to YS3 2 years ago – Sergio Meat-Tray against the KC Royals – 105 degree July Bronx heat – sitting in the sun – Yanks were blown out by the Royals that day. Not a good memory.

• vicki says:

so, when would you not want to play the disastros?

they’ve kind of been my nl team for a long time. april, september, no matter.

7. Bob Buttons says:

Giants signed Cullen Jenkins.

Now we need a friggin TE and LBs.

8. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

So ManBan was optioned today?
    I didn’t think that was allowed with injured players. Good for the Yankees if this is allowed, as it would be a shame to lose a year of team control to the DL.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, that’s how Jennings described it. I meant to ask about that.

Does anyone know if that is, indeed, the result? If so, any reason why it wouldn’t have been done two weeks ago?

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

fwiw, the Yankee transaction page says he was optioned.

Why now? I have no idea, but the timing doesn’t really matter.

• Havok9120 says:

That’d be great if it saves them the year of control. Everything I’ve read says they were screwed on that score.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I’ve been trying to figure it out from the CBA.
            It’s rather convoluted, but it appears because he had no MLB service time last year, it’s allowed.

Decent chance he ends up on the 60-day DL to free a roster spot later anyways though. Hopefully that isn’t needed until after the season starts, so he doesn’t accrue a full year of service time this year.

9. Barry says:

So I’m giving wrestling a shot, who is this ziggler guy, I like his classic costume.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, God. They’ve made a convert.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

They have converted me again or should I say The Shield has

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Love them. Especially Ambrose.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Yea it’s hard not to like Ambrose. I’m a fan of the whole group. Reigns is a little rough on the mic at times but he’s so new to this thing so he should get better over time. Rollins looks like a star in the making to me. This might sound corny but I can’t believe I’m sitting here watching wrestling. I quit it yrs ago and didn’t understand why anyone was still watching it now until I started to see and hear all this stuff about The Shield on the net and youtube. I got caught up in it again lol.

• Pat D says:

Stop hatin’ cuz you don’t get it.

• Barry says:

I meant brian.. These guys need to learn how to use the language better it’s hard to know who in the hell they’re talking about.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Love him. He grew up a total wrestling geek and isn’t just some wannabe make model who thinks he can become a wrestler. Really worked on his craft over the years. He’s going to be champ a thousand times over.

• Pat D says:

He’s still a dick.

/Harry Doyle’d

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Ziggler? Champion?

He’s been getting his ass kicked around the WWE for the last couple of years that I’ve been watching since my son got me back into it.

if he’s the guy they’ve been grooming as champion, the WWE has failed to do a good job developing new interesting talent.

• Pat D says:

He’ll get the belt since he has the briefcase, but I think he’s overrated by the IWC. I’d rather see guys like Sandow and Cesaro get pushed ahead of him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Cesaro, yes. Sandow, no. Sandow’s a good mid-card act. Cesaro is the man. Solid background. Great worker. Other wrestlers love him.

Ziggler’s done an amazing job at improving his craft. The problem is the same problem they’ve got with Cesaro, Kofi, etc. They seem to think they can job a guy, then build him up later and people will be fine with it.

Ziggler’s doing jobs because he makes other guys look like a million bucks and they need to keep the top draws strong for WM. I’m sure some angle will come out of it and they’ll push him to the moon. He’s going to be on top for a while.

• Pat D says:

Ziggler is just so…meh to me. He sells well. Great. His offense is OK at best. He’s nothing special on the mic. He is in perpetual need of someone in his corner. First it was Vickie, now it’s AJ and Big E. I don’t think he’s capable of standing on his own.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

They need a lesser circuit for these guys to learn their craft because its hard to take “seriously”a guy like Ziggler or Cesaro who all of a sudden rises to the title and had a long reign after we’ve watched them lose to the same guys their now gonna beat.

Take Ziggler for example. I’ve seen Randy Orton kick his ass plenty of times which was to be expected. I think Ziggler has always been portrayed as a pretty boy joke. Now all,of a sudden, Ziggler is gonna get the belt and will regularly beat guys like Orton? Even though we all know its scripted and fake, there has to be some level of credibility and believability.

• Pat D says:

Cesaro did all of the lesser circuit stuff already. They put the US belt on him, and have had him job repeatedly to guys like Ryback and Orton. He’s deserving of a lot better.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That’s exactly what’s happening with Swagger right now, and why no one gives a crap about him.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I just think you can’t have a guy play the role of the Washington generals for an extended period of time and then find it interesting and credible when they all of a sudden start beating the globetrotters.

IMO, that’s where we are with Swagger and Ziggler.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Ziggler can talk, though, and has a varied moveset.

Swagger’s the same guy now he was on Day One. The only difference is he has a manager. People are booing the manager more than they’re booing him.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Ziggler has still been a jobber for quite a while now, maybe a “jobber to the stars” and as a result, I and many others have a hard time seeing him as one of the top few stars in the WWE.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Jeez, where are the Hogans, Rocks, Cenas, Triple H’s, Undertakers, Edges, Brett Harts?

The group they have now is really lacking. I’d rather see Randy Orton have another reign rather than Ziggler, Sandow or Cesaro.

• Pat D says:

You’re right that they don’t have quite the same level of star they once did. But they also need to do a better job of building guys, which they haven’t done since Cena. Punk’s gotten over by himself.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They’re doing the right thing by the Shield so far, but how many times can they job Cesaro, Barrett, and Ziggler? The IC Champ used to be automatic #1 contender. Now?

• Pat D says:

Yea, the midcard belts have become meaningless.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

They really need some new blood.

Who would give a crap about WM if they didn’t have Triple H, The Rock, Lesnar and the undertaker making their yearly cameo.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Had a similar discussion on another board. I argued the same point which they need to develop new talent because how long can you rely on stars of the past. The belief is Vince leans on the older guys because they draw in viewers and crowds while the younger guys don’t. Well if you never develop new talent how the hell are they suppose to bring in crowds and viewers.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Exactly.

Sooner or later when the older guys are finished, who left to feature that anyone gives a shit about.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

True.

Undertaker is on his last legs, the Rock doesn’t even wrestle every week, Triple H is in the same boat, and Lesnar won’t be here for the long haul.

10. vicki says:

jose ramirez, we hardly knew ye.

11. Dalek Jeter says:

I know there are a few other gaming geeks here, is anybody else amazed at the response the new Tomb Raider is getting? I mean I expected it to be decent but ign and metacritic have both given it outstanding reviews.

• Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

Don’t know how the game plays, but it was written by Rhianna Pratchett, Terry “Discworld” Pratchett’s daughter. That family has a magic touch.

• Barry says:

I prefer my Tomb Raider to have big tits, short shorts, and long slender legs.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I always wait for the PCGamer review myself.

• Havok9120 says:

The site I watch thought it a fun experience but in spite of the game rather than because of it. It’s a game that doesn’t seem to want to give you much actual control of the character, let alone her movements or decisions. This is both mechanically and narratively frustrating.

12. Cool Lester Smooth says:

There are still 6 slots left in Big Member’s fantasy league.

Join us, you know you want to…

13. OldYanksFan says:

And for some REAL baseball news:
    According to Mets Player, You Can Survive a Justin Verlander Fastball to Groin
    (with a surprise ending)

14. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I have both a fear and a sadistic desire now to google “bag of dicks”, but I can’t bring myself to do it. Damn you, Dalek Jeter.

15. Youkales' Misspelled Name says:

I guess they really are leaving every stone unturned if they are looking at Al Roker. Anyone have his numbers against RHP?

16. Tom from England says:

Al Roker is a white man who happens to be black.

17. catfish the hunter says:

It’s mind boggling too me how so many good baseball minds and eyes on this site can’t see the brilliance in Ichiro… The guy is a wizard with the bat, and physically in the best physical shape of any player in camp.. Not to mention he’s on a goal inspired mission juxtaposed to having the sensibilities of a complete team player, these attributes that can only render him a positive force on this team. I believe your following Mr Axisa, your fearless leader, into the abyss by discounting Ichiro’s exceptional baseball intellect