Mar

Open Thread: 3/17 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

(AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

The Yankees knocked the Braves Pirates around this afternoon, with Melky Mesa delivering a grand slam for the big blow. Eduardo Nunez, Kevin Youkilis, and Brennan Boesch all had two hits as well, including a double and a homer from Youkilis. Ivan Nova allowed four runs in five innings, easily his worst outing of the spring. He and David Phelps remain neck-and-neck in the fifth starter’s race, at least in theory. That competition could have been rigged from the start. David Robertson tossed a scoreless inning out of the bullpen. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

• Boone Logan (elbow) threw a simulated game yesterday and said he still feels something in his elbow, but it’s not pain. Just some inflammation that doesn’t bother him while pitching. He hopes to pitch in a game next, but another simulated game could be on the docket first. [Chad Jennings]
  • Clay Rapada, meanwhile, is still shut down with shoulder tendinitis and there is no timetable for him to get back into a game. He might not be ready in time for the start of the season, and the same goes for Logan at this point as well. [Jennings]
  • OF Slade Heathcott has been reassigned to minor league camp, meaning the Yankees are unofficially down to 52 players in big league camp. Matt Diaz was released earlier today. Heathcott is dealing with patellar tendinitis and there’s no word on when he might return to the field. [Jennings]
  • The Yankees are off on Monday and it sounds like it will be a full day off. No scheduled workouts other than Phil Hughes‘ simulated game and miscellaneous bullpens for rehabbing players, stuff like that. Adam Warren will start against the Phillies in Clearwater on Tuesday afternoon, a game that will be broadcast on ESPN and MLB.tv but not YES.

Here is your open thread for the evening. The Nets are playing and Puerto Rico and Japan are meeting in a World Baseball Classic Semifinals game (9pm ET on MLB Network). The winner of that game advances to Tuesday’s championship game against the winner of Monday’s Dominican Republic-Netherlands game. Talk about any of that and more right here. Enjoy.

1. Nice Guy Eddie says:

“OF Slade Heathcott has been reassigned to minor league camp, meaning the Yankees are unofficially down to 52 players in big league camp. Matt Diaz was released earlier today. Heathcott is dealing with patellar tendinitis and there’s no word on when he might return to the field.”

Are you f’ing kidding me Slade? Stay on the field! Please!!!

2. forensic says:

It was the pirates, not the braves, along with Russell Martin who allowed 5 steals and threw a ball away on a steal of third.

If only the Yankees had resigned him… ;-)

• jjyank says:

Heh. I was definitely in the “re-sign” Martin camp, but if Cervelli’s improved throwing thus far is for real, I think the drop off will be rather manageable.

• MannyGeee says:

Yeah. If Martin is really gonna give away runs defensively at a Posada-esque level and not provide a Jorge level offense, then in hindsight maybe we won’t miss him as much as we think. Granted the book is not nearly written on this, but it’s nice to see him not make Cashman look foolish today.

Wondering if Martin is hurt. He was never THAT bad defensively…

• Bob Buttons says:

Yankees fans: no matter what you do most of them ain’t gonna be pleased.

• forensic says:

Huh? I am happy they didn’t resign him. I was just poking fun at the people who somehow think not signing him is the end of the world.

• ClusterDuck says:

Add to that Martin is hitting about .140 this spring.

It’s only ST of course but…

3. Nice Guy Eddie says:

Some (more) possible stopgaps:

Travis Ishikawa
    Conor Jackson
    Chris Dickerson
    Lyle Overbay(not likely to be DFA’d)
    Ryan Sweeney
    Shelly Duncan
    Miguel Tejada
    Rick Ankiel
    Daric Barton
    Mike Jacobs
    Brandon Allen
    Brad Hawpe

4. Cool Lester Smooth says:

God Dammit, Slade.

5. Tom says:

So if Rapada and Logan are not ready for Opening day is it Rondon who goes North? (as the LOOGY)

6. AnonymousAnonymous says:

Hell is an Irish bar where everyday is St. Patrick’s day.

7. jjyank says:

St. Patty’s day reminds me of the Middle East. That probably sounds strange to, well, everybody. I studied abroad in Jordan four years ago, and I remember scouring the city with 4 other guys in my program trying to find an Irish pub. After a beer-fueled search, we found one. Green beer and everything. No matter what corner of the world you are in, St. Patty’s day is alive :P

8. Carmine says:

So, Teixeira possibly out for the rest of the season? Shit…

• Pistol pete says:

If Cash doesn’t get a legit first baseman this season is toast, it might be toast anyway. Just too many holes to fill and you can count on Tex being gone for the year. When you hear about a pop in the wrist followed up with a tendon sheath tear just ask Nick Johnson if he’ll be back. No Arod, Tex, Martin, Siwisher, and Grandy out 3 mos., yikes. How are we going to score runs? If Cash doesn’t get a first or third baseman that’s legit you can bet they know this is a season lost.

9. Bob Buttons says:

25 Funny Lost and Found signs

Saw this today and couldn’t resist sharing it.
    Though I have to say a few of them are not funny to me. Mostly the one with the rooster.

• Bo Knows says:

The hell bike, and the cat hated by the boyfriend were the best.

Also in case anyone doesn’t know, cats can be just as vindictive as people, if they don’t like you, they will fuck shit (or shit on stuff) up just because

• Bob Buttons says:

Once I was in a mini-debate about whether it was easier to live with a dog that hates you or a cat that hates you.

Cats
        -scratches shit up
        -pukes hairballs
        -craps
        -doesn’t do crap other than being lazy

Dogs
        -crap
        -bite
        -barking
        -have to walk it

• Laz says:

I had bad cat experience. Wouldn’t get a cat ever again, they both had habbit peeing in spots.

• Bob Buttons says:

All the dogs on the block (no matter where I moved to) seem to hate me. They love to stare at me and sniff my pants. They see the fear in me.

On the flip side, all the cats I’ve met personally have evil stares and doesn’t seem to do anything good. Pretty sure I’ve not met a cat that plays fetch.

• Bo Knows says:

You’ve never met my cat then (naturally) she plays fetch, rolls over (she does this at random intervals throughout the day, just for the hell of it)

Cats are almost scary in how smart they are, they all can give you the death stare (mine has with me) but I’ve found them to be very affectionate, but they will let you know if your entrenching within the personal space.

Funny example is my uncle’s family cat. During Sandy, they had a bunch of people staying with them because they had power. Their cat, Easter was being messed with by one of their friend’s 2 yr old kids. Easter stood up on his hind legs, hit the kid square on the forehead (no claws) and walked away.

• Bob Buttons says:

Maybe I just have some kind of element in me that makes animals hate me naturally. In the last place I lived I used to take strolls every evening in the fall (when walking didn’t make me sweat like a pig, and there aren’t much, if any mosquitoes left) and the damn dogs would not stop barking at me even after 3 months (then it was winter and I stayed inside).

Cats seem to dislike my presence, literally my presence.

Had a goldfish several years ago that seem to not mind my presence, and then one day it all went wrong and it died with a blackened fin.

• Bo Knows says:

land mammals hate your guts, but fish seem to like you

there are two theories

one is your soul is pure evil, the other is that your aquaman….you might want to hope your evil, because there is no greater hell than being aquaman.

• Bob Buttons says:

I hope I’m not aquaman because I don’t like eating fish.

However… I could make a fortune selling caviar…

• Bo Knows says:

it’s strange too, my mother has the exact opposite affect with animals; doesn’t matter if what the animal is, they instantly love her. There is a neighborhood cat, we have no clue where his owners are or who they are but he comes running when my mother starts calling. Dogs adore her (and don’t do the usual dog “greeting”) and all these animals will straight up talk to my mother, I have never seen animals just sit down and start making sounds like they are trying to hold a conversation.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Hell bike was awesome.

10. DR says:

Just a reminder, if you’re in the “Bring in the Lefty” ESPN keeper league, our draft is in an hour. Hope to see you all there!

11. The Big City of Dreams says:

I’m sure this was discussed before but would anyone do Joba and Phelps for Olt? I would probably do it. If you wouldn’t state the reasons why

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Phelps is currently in your starting rotation. Olt has 33 MLB at-bats, striking out in 13 of them.

How a prospect like that is worth two major leaguers is something I’d like for someone to explain to me.

We’d have to throw in Eddard. MAKE THE TRADE.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Olt is from New Haven, though. That counts for something.

Then again, so is Tony Sparano.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

—————-

I guess what it boils down to for me is Joba is a middle reliever and Phelps at best is a back end starter. I like Phelps and I like having him on the team but I would seriously consider a move like this for Olt. Not saying Olt is the next big thing because he’s not but it would be a chance to get a young 3rd baseman for the immediate present and future.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Actually coming around to the idea the more I think about it. Olt is more highly regarded, I guess, than Phelps is, which means you have to add the extra piece, with the pitcher you may lose at the end of the season anyway as the balancing piece.

I still am apprehensive as to Phelps becoming a good pitcher and Olt becoming Matt LaPorta. Perhaps you can more easily replace Phelps and having the potential young corner is worth the risk.

This is like a liveblog of my brain in action as to your question.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I know it’s a small thing, but Laporta had a walk rate higher than 11.5% just twice in 5 years spread across 5 levels (one of those times was 50 games in AAA after being in the Show) and in 3 years across 4 levels Olt has been below 11.5 once (4 games in Rookie ball in 2010).

• Nice Guy Eddie says:

Olt also plays a premium position, but I see what you’re getting at – he’s been vastly overrated(maybe because he’s been involved in trade talks for what seems like forever). Honestly, I would rather give up one of Sanchez/Williams/Slade for Headley than lose two big league arms for Olt.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Headley probably costs two of ‘em, plus a Phelps.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Yep Headley is going to cost a fortune based on his age and big season last yr.

• Nice Guy Eddie says:

I think I’d still pull the trigger even if one of those turned out to be Sanchez, who I’d really hate to see them let go. Headley, to me, just fits the mold of this team too perfectly.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’ll fly down to Florida, pick up Joba and David, and drive them to the airport. I like Joba, he seems like the type of dude I’d get a beer with, but right now he’s a RHPing Bullpen guy. Literally the easiest position on ML roster to fill. Phelps projects to be a back end guy, and with some of the guys we have stashed at AAA along with Pineda possibly coming back mid-season, and Hughes on track to miss two or so starts max, he’s replaceable both in the short and long term.

Olt on the other hand is the 23rd best prospect in all of baseball playing a position that we need filled both short and long term. He has huge power (in 3 seasons across 3 levels his lowest ISO is .174), K’s and Walks a lot, and according to scouts plays above average Defense. He sounds like almost the perfect fit.

• forensic says:

Without necessarily knowing more about Olt, I’d probably lean against doing it right now, since I have high hopes for Phelps and they’re going to need what he brings in the future just as much as they’ll need a 3B.

I’d need to know the general hitting environment of the teams he played on. Why did they shift him to 1B and RF last season too. Was it general experimentation or was he struggling defensively at 3B. I’d also be concerned about the strikeout numbers and a possible lack of contact.

• Dalek Jeter says:

According to like every scout that I’ve heard of talking about Olt have said that he’s a good defensive 3rd baseman and the moving him around a bit last season had more to do w/ wanting to give him ABs w/o wanting to take Beltre off of third. Just looking at numbers, he seems to have really, really good power. I know we’re all really high on Phelps right now, but look at what happened with Nova last season. Phelps and Nova were rated about the same coming up, and Nova probably has slightly better raw stuff, so I think Phelps is more likely to take a step back this season.

• forensic says:

It’s tempting, but I might still hesitate. It’s a tough one.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

What are your high hopes for Phelps? I’m guessing a reliable 3 in the next 3-4 yrs.

• forensic says:

A solid major league starter, probably mid to upper part of your rotation. Strike thrower, innings eater. At his cost and number of years of control remaining, it’s tough to risk giving that up for another unknown.

Personally, I think too many people put too much into ‘stuff’. He may not have dynamic stuff, but he seems to have a plan and an idea of what he’s doing out there. Also seems to have his head on straight which I really like.

Jeff Weaver is always my thought when people talk about a pitcher having or needing stuff.

• Nice Guy Eddie says:

I think it comes down to whether they’re trying to build or win it all this year. It’s hard for me to believe that you could make such a trade in ST, throw Olt out there as the everyday guy at 3b in New York in his rookie year and expect him to really produce w/ that type of pressure. He’ll probably be a good player down the line, but you have to put more emphasis on the psychological aspect when you’re dealing with young/inexperienced players. Would he bring some much needed cost-controlled talent? Yes. Would he give them that much better of a shot at winning this year? I’m not so sure. I think I’d prefer the rotation depth, at least this year.

• forensic says:

Would he bring some much needed cost-controlled talent? Yes.

Well, that’s not even necessarily true. While he is cost-controlled, you’re also giving up a cost-controlled pitcher. So it’s almost like you’re breaking even on that aspect.

• Nice Guy Eddie says:

Well, it depends on how you value those guys. Most people around baseball would probably value Olt a lot more than Phelps.

• forensic says:

Possibly, but it’s not necessarily about the views of their value around the league, but more what it would mean to the Yankees.

For this year, they have 2 of the 3 or 4 oldest starting pitchers in baseball and a general injury threat in Hughes. Then next year, they all could be gone and they would need to find 3 starters if they dealt away Phelps. Given some of their current internal options, that might be tough beyond Pineda and possible Warren.

In contrast, at 3B you have Youkilis and possibly A-Rod later on this year. Then, next year, maybe A-Rod is healthy for a bit, but even if he’s not then you’re only looking for 1 3B, not 3 starters.

At 3B, I think the gap from the current guys to the possible internal replacements is much smaller than the gap from the current starting pitchers to their replacements, so I think Phelps has much more value to the organization right now than Olt would.

• forensic says:

Reading it, I realize that’s a bit convoluted, but hopefully you get my point…

• Nice Guy Eddie says:

That was my point exactly. Btw, who is this A-Rod you speak of?

• forensic says:

Oh, sorry, I thought you were saying Olt would have more value than Phelps. My bad…

• Pablos "Nice Guy Eddie" Samich says:

I think it comes down to whether they’re trying to build or win it all this year. It’s hard for me to believe that you could make such a trade in ST, throw Olt out there as the everyday guy at 3b in New York in his rookie year and expect him to really produce w/ that type of pressure. He’ll probably be a good player down the line, but you have to put more emphasis on the psychological aspect when you’re dealing with young/inexperienced players. Would he bring some much needed cost-controlled pussy? Yes. Would he give them that much better of a shot at winning this year? I’m not so sure. I think I’d prefer the rotation depth, at least this year.

• Barry says:

I agree with too much being put in to the sexiness of pitching. A guy with a plan can be just as effective as a guy with 100mph gas. A guy whiffing at high heat will look foolish, but so will a guy sitting on a 90mph fastball whiffing at a 75 mph curveball.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing him develop into the pitcher you described.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

A reliable #3, which would be the tippiest toppiest of ceilings, is pretty damn important.

• forensic says:

And really, it’s kind of unfair to always compare him with Nova. Just because something happened with Nova doesn’t mean it will with Phelps. And, if you look at their MiLB numbers, you might be surprised at how good Phelps’ were, and that he was pretty much better than Nova across the board and throughout the levels.

He may not be as dynamic in one or two of his pitches, but as I said before, that only takes you so far.

• MannyGeee says:

For the record, I would trade Phelps and Joba for Olt in a cocaine heartbeat.

Joba is as good as gone (I would bet a fair amount that he ends up in Texas next year regardless), and Phelps is a solid piece that seems like fair chip to me for a CIF with potential that Texas seems hell bent on giving away at any cost.

As far as Phelps in the future, I agree that he has the potential to be a solid back end work horse in the future. He actually reminds me a lot of a Derek Holland type guy, speaking of Texas. He won’t wow you, but he’ll grind out some quality starts. There is value in that.

All this said, I would think Texas might look for one more body in that trade. I sure would. Maybe not a Sanchez/Heathcott, but someone in the Mesa/Almonte mold?

12. wow says:

Baseball in Japan must be… annoying. That music is awful.

• Barry says:

They manage to even make baseball look anime-ish

• The Doctor says:

Maybe I’m just jaded from having watched so much anime, but I have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Barry says:

http://img396.imageshack.us/im.....911nd2.jpg this picture doesn’t do it justice, but they’re much more animated and have quirky customs compared to american fans. Like ever watch an Anime show and they have like a crazy crowd and they all have noise makers and stuff like that.

• Bo Knows says:

Soccer, those evil vuvzuelas, and the entirety of the Oakland Raiders fanbase, doesn’t belong in the quirky (and that’s putting it mildly)

Personally crazy fans (good crazy, not “harm someone over a game” crazy) should be part of sports, it makes the entire environment that much better

• Barry says:

I’m not saying it’s bad. Just compared to ours… Wowzo I think Anthony Bourdain did an episode where he was chilling with their baseball fans and it was like holy cow.

• DiceMan says:

Didn’t we drop a bomb on them? What was in that thing, fertilizuhhhh??

• The Doctor says:

I assure you if it’s present in anime I’ve seen it at one point haha. It’s just I view it as anime portraying Japanese culture (at least in the more realistic ones), not Japanese people looking like they’re from anime. That’s probably just because I have more interest in Japanese culture than the average person, so I just expect stuff like this.

I guess I see what you mean though, the noise in the background did remind me a lot of Ookiku Furikubatte, but that’s probably because that’s a baseball anime based off of stuff like this. If they add in some blue hair and homosexual tension between the pitcher and the catcher (as in the aforementioned show), I will completely agree.

13. McLovin says:

I hate how everyone is down on the Yankees. All my friends think the season is over already, damn the season hasn’t even started yet. Sure, I am worried, but I still feel this team can remain competitive throughout the year.

• Barry says:

Well the season outlook hasn’t looked this bad in a long time. Miracles happen though, and that’s how dynasties are formed :)

14. The Doctor says:

Accidentally missed the Anal VIM draft, but ended up with a pretty decent team anyway. Looking forward to playing with you all; I’ll probably wind up doing pretty poorly since, as I showed today, I’m bad at remembering to take care of my team, but it’ll be fun.

• Barry says:

Draft was decent, nice and fast. Hard to draft for those stats though, I basically went for OBP and QS.

• The Doctor says:

I just got whatever the predetermined order handed me. I kinda like it this way, means I’ll have to manage my way to victory. Probably won’t work out but I don’t mind the option of some extra challenge.