Mar

Open Thread: 3/18 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

The Yankees were off today, so not a whole lot went on down in Tampa. Phil Hughes came through his simulated game just fine while Andy Pettitte (5.2 innings) and Mariano Rivera (two innings) got in some work during the simulated game as well. Everyone came through a-okay and regular old Spring Training will resume tomorrow when Adam Warren starts against the Phillies in Clearwater. That game will be on ESPN and MLB.tv, but not YES.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. The Rangers, Knicks, and Nets are all playing, plus Robinson Cano‘s Dominican Republic team is playing the Netherlands for the right to play Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic Final tomorrow. That game starts at 9pm ET and can be seen on MLB Network. Talk about any of that stuff and more right here.

1. trr says:

lately it seems everytime I go to comment, I have to re-enter my user name/e-mail each time. is there some sort of setting area I can go to to permanently register?

2. Jeez – what exactly do you have against Frankie C? Do you hate the fact that he’s not Johnny Bench – I do too. But how many teams have that? Yeah, that’s right not too many. And at least he can throw, run, and occasionally get a big hit. Why do you want all of these mediocre players like Hernandez? They’re no better than what we have. At least Frankie C keeps Cano loose.

And the same applies to Nuner. Lay off and give them a chance fer Chris-sakes.

• jjyank says:

…really? I mean, I like Cervelli and Nunez (to some extent) but maybe you should leave the “at least he can throw” part out of both of those assessments.

I don’t want to trade for Hernandez either, and I’m encouraged by Cervelli’s throwing in spring training thus far, but let’s not pretend that his throwing is an asset in his game.

• Barry says:

C’mon JJ the Cervo has been throwing respectably well thus far this year.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I’m sure JJ won’t argue that he isn’t. The point is, with the amount of times he’ll be called upon to make those throws during the season, how much does it add to his game? And let’s not forget, this is Spring Training. Everything could go down hill once the season begins (or not).

• Barry says:

.271/.339/.353 is his career line. That coupled with slightly above average defense and we’ve matched Martin from last year. Albeit with fewer HRs but also making quite a few less dollars.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Yes, if he remains slightly above average defensively and doesn’t become over-exposed offensively, due to the anticipated increase in the number of games he played. That still doesn’t mean that his much better throwing this ST enhances his game significantly. I like the value he provides the team (reasonable production at a low cost), but the team could do better at a cost. The answer is not Ramon Hernandez, in my opinion.

• jjyank says:

Barry, I’m gonna go ahead and just quote myself from the comment that you replied to:

“and I’m encouraged by Cervelli’s throwing in spring training thus far”

So yes, I have acknowledged that. But it’s still spring training, and it’s a small sample. As encouraged as I am, I’m not willing to pronounce Cervelli’s arm as an asset that warrants not looking for an upgrade. Again, I don’t think Hernandez is that upgrade, but let’s not pretend that one strong couple of weeks in spring training means an upgrade shouldn’t be looked for.

3. gageagainstthemachine says:

A day without a player injured?! This calls for a beer!!

4. Barry says:

C’mon Netherlands

5. Dalek Jeter says:

RAW or Netherlands vs DR? Also is anybody going to watch Bate’s Motel tonight?

• Barry says:

Bate’s Motel?

• Dalek Jeter says:

It’s a show about high schooler Norman Bates and his mom moving to a new town, I guess it’s also about him going crazy and what not. The premiere is tonight.

• Barry says:

What network?

• Dalek Jeter says:

A&E, the commercials obviously make it look good.

• Barry says:

Damn I’ll catch the repeat, I watch the devil’s ride at 10 on mondays. lol

• Barry says:

Also I’ve decide that WWE will be my one of Hulu constants. I’m pretty sure that it’s on there. Wouldn’t believe the criticism you get when you watch wrestling these days, no one lets you enjoy it without their two cents.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Best show on TV: There’s no season running right now, but BBC’s Sherlock is a masterpiece, an absolute work of genius. By FAR the best show I’ve ever seen, no contest. Every episode is a gem. I can’t even pick one.

The way the show works they’re really mini-movies, each an hour and a half long. I watched the first episode with a friend, bought the rest of the series, and was hooked ever since.

• Dalek Jeter says:

+All the internets. They recently started taping series 3 I think.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Yep, very recently.

If Basil Rathbone was the Holmes of the 30′s and 40′s and Jeremy Brett was the Holmes for the 70′s, then Benedict Cumberbatch is the Holmes of the modern era, DEFINITELY more than RDJ or that guy from “Elementary”.

I actually liked the RDJ Holmes movies, they were fun and I thought he played a pretty good Holmes, but Cumberbatch OWNS that role.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

It’s a prequel to Psycho. The television series focuses on Norman as a teen and his mother.

• jjyank says:

I’m going with Blue Mountain State, personally. Love that show.

6. Dalek Jeter says:

Well this sucks…I just found out Headley, my starting Fantasy 3B, is going to miss a month w/ a broken thumb.

• Pat D says:

It should be easier for the Yankees to trade for him then.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Last year I had Kemp and Longoria spend half (or more)of the season on the DL after they were 2 of my top 3-4 picks plus I had David Ortiz who was raking until he spent about the whole 2nd half on the DL too.

I managed to come in first though after picking up Mike Trout off the waiver wire in early May.

• jjyank says:

That sucks dude. Thought I’m in your league so that kinda makes me happy :P

If it makes you feel better, last year Justin Upton had that thumb injury (my first round pick) and Ryan Madson had TJS (my top drafted closer) and I still won it all. Keep the faith.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I just picked up Matt Carpenter off the waiver wire. I’m amazed he was available. He’s going to have a huge year.

• jjyank says:

Solid pick up, for sure. I had him on my watch list.

• Bob Buttons says:

Can’t wait until he gains 2B eligibility.

• Dalek Jeter says:

That would be Amaz-balls, b/c I think he’s good enough to be an everyday player and I took a risk with Kyle Seager at 2nd, so if Seager doesn’t live up to expectations I’d love to have Carpenter as my 2nd baseman once Headley is healthy.

• Bob Buttons says:

He started most of his games at 2B. I have only Hill and Keppinger eligible, so if Hill goes down I’m in trouble.

If only he can play SS. Tulo and Alcides aren’t the healthiest of all people.

7. Manny's BanWagon says:

Wonder what you guys think of my fantasy team. It’s a 10 team 5 x 5 league with 22 man active rosters, 13 position players with 2 catchers, an extra corner and middle infielder, a utility player, 2 catchers and 2 reserves.

1B-Joey Votto SP-David Price
    3B-Martin Prado SP-Matt Cain
    1b/3b-Billy Butler SP-Madison Bumgartner
    2B-Ian Kinsler SP-Hiroki Kuroda
    SS-Azdrubal Cabrera SP-Anibal Sanchez
    2B/SS-Aaron Hill SP-Mike Minor
    C-Jonathan Lucroy RP-Addison Reed
    C-Ryan Doumit RP-Jason Grilli
    OF-Carlos Gonzalez RP-Ernesto Frieri
    OF-Austin Jackson
    OF-Shane Victorino
    OF-Melky Cabrera
    U-Mike Moustakas

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Reserves so far are SP-Tommy Milone and SP-Shelby Miller.

• jjyank says:

Not bat. We have a lot of players in common. So let’s go Price, Bumgarner, Kuroda, and Reed.

I assume you named them in your draft order. I hate picking a 1B in the first round, but I had Votto last year, and he’s just a beast. I got Miggy this year though :)

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I picked 10th out of 10 teams in a snake draft so with the 10th and 11th picks, I went Cargo and Votto followed by Price and Cain then Kinsler and Butler if I remember correctly.

• jjyank says:

That’s solid. Last year I had #9 out of 10 in a snake draft. I took Justin Upton has my first round, and Votto as the second pick in the second round. Votto will be awesome for you.

This year I had the first overall pick, so Miggy was all mine. Though I did debate between Trout and Cano heavily beforehand.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I think Trout is a little risky for number 1 overall given he has only a 1 year track record. Trout has the highest potential reward but you already know Miggy is like money in the bank for a monster year so he’s the safest number 1 IMO.

A lot of publications I read had Ryan Braun as number 1 overall with Miggy and Trout at either 2 or 3. With the steroid crap out of Florida, I would have stayed away from him for fear of a possible suspension.

• jjyank says:

My thoughts exactly. I didn’t want to bank on Trout’s sophomore season, so Miggy it was. Braun is great, but I also wasn’t risking my #1 pick on a suspension.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I made my own list of the top 300 players from various rankings I came across (CBS, ESPN, Rotoworld, etc) and pretty much went with the best available player as much as possible.

• Bob Buttons says:

I share your undying support for Prado, Bumgarner, Hill, Price and Frieri.

8. Camd80 says:

Anybody watch Season 1 of Banshee ? Very hot show ! Jete tells me it’s his favorite TV show.

9. DiceMan says:

I think the best part of being gay is when you’re done, you could turn over and talk about football.

10. Barry says:

Bate’s hotel was pretty decent Dalek.

11. Al "The Angry Spaniard" says:

My sincere apologies to Barry and everyone else on this awesome site. That night where “I trolled” I got people angry. Will never happen again. But I will not root against Robinson Cano unless he is not a Yankee. From now on, no more WBC talk and it will be just Yankees. Just for the record, here in Spain when we refer someone as “tío” is sort of saying like this guy or that guy. Same can be said for “tía” for females. “Que preciosa se ve esa tía”

No more spanish on an english blog…

• Barry says:

lol all good dude, I just always root for the underdog when the Yankees aren’t playing. Easy on the gringo stuff though.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for says:

Bienvenidos. ¿Donde en España? Casi todas en me familia son de Almeria.