Mar

Open Thread: 3/30 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Mike Groll)

(AP Photo/Mike Groll)

The Yankees beat the Army Black Knights in their final exhibition game of 2013 this afternoon. Both Brennan Boesch and Melky Mesa went deep while Vidal Nuno threw two scoreless innings. Boone Logan got roughed up, surrendering four runs in one-third of an inning. Other than that, not much else happened. Here is the box score and here are the final notes from Spring Training

• Following the game, Joe Girardi confirmed Boesch, Cody Eppley, and Adam Warren have all made the team. The Yankees still need to clear a 40-man roster spot for Lyle Overbay. The deadline to finalize the roster is 3pm ET tomorrow. [Chad Jennings]
  • Brian Cashman confirmed Alex Rodriguez will be at Yankee Stadium for Opening Day on Monday. It’s unclear if he’ll be in uniform and part of the pre-game introductions, but it’s not like the Yankees ever cared about A-Rod getting booed before. [Erik Boland & Bob Klapisch]
  • Minor leaguers Craig Heyer and Evan DeLuca were released. Heyer made my 2011 Preseason Top 30 Prospects List while DeLuca never put it together after signing for $500k back in 2009. [Josh Norris]
  • The next game the Yankees play will actually count in the standings. They’re off on Sunday and will welcome the Red Sox to the Bronx for a three-game set early next week. CC Sabathia vs. Jon Lester is your Opening Day pitching matchup for Monday.

Here is your open thread for the night. The Rangers, Devils, and Nets are all playing, plus MLB Network will air a Spring Training game as well. Talk about any of those games or anything else here. Enjoy.

1. Pseudoyanks says:

Logan got roughed up? Really? Is he ready for opening day?

• Barry says:

And, breath.

• Pseudoyanks says:

Hah,not like i’m panicking…but maybe he should get more time in minors…he got a late start.

• forensic says:

Its certainly a fair question. Before today he only had 4 innings this spring, with pretty terrible results. Today he looked horrible too. No control of his pitches. Velocity was well down too, even if it’s a somewhat questionable gun.

• Laz says:

Will say I somewhat predicted this. I was hoping they would trade him, just because I’m seeing it not a good year for him, and they have several other loogy on the roster.

• JonS says:

How many outings has he had?

How many good outings has he had?

2. vicki says:

golden knights?

3. Brendan says:

RAB’s continued A-Rod homerism is inexplicable unless he’s dating the staff, which I guess isn’t totally out of the question.

4. Mickey Scheister says:

Not crazy about Warren over Nuno, I feel Nuno is more polished here and now. Perhaps they look at Nuno as the first guy to start for the big cub should Hughes stay on the DL and Nova keeps sucking. Also, Logan giving up 4 runs vs a college team is pretty putrid. I know the injury bug has all west niled the Yanks and all but some of the moves this offseason have me baffled. But, as always, Go Yankees!

• Mike says:

Choosing Nuno over Warren would mean adding him to the 40 man roster for what will likely be a week or tow at the most because Hughes will come back and Warren/Nuno would be sent to Scranton. Look at the 40 man roster and you will see that the next cut will be pretty hard. I am guessing it will be Betances but that is only a guess, nothing more.

• Mickey Scheister says:

Yeah, good point. Is Reegie Corona still hanging out on there? Just DL’ing guys also seems like a short term solution, which I guess that’s what nearly half of the starting nine may end up being until The Walking Wounded return.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Yeah, that’ll be a tough decision.
        Maybe Bettances. Other possible options I guess would probably be Rondon, CoJo, Almonte, Mesa, Turley???
        That they seem to be delaying adding Overbay to the roster for as long as possible may be an indication a trade might be in the works.
        Or they’re just having difficulty deciding who to cut.

• Scott says:

Warren v. Nuno: my guess is that this may be not only a promotion, but a last chance, for Warren. The organization may have (rightly) decided Warren doesn’t have the stuff to be a starter (two years of mediocre K rates and ERA at AAA), so this is a chance to see if he (like Phelps and Hughes) can ratchet up his game as a reliever. If Warren doesn’t show promise as a reliever, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s released within a month.

5. Poker Face says:

It’s time boys and girls. It’s time.

6. Mickey Scheister says:

Since I couldn’t find a complete box score of the game I was watching and noticed Army roughed up the Yanks…

The simple things in life make me chuckle.

7. Nick says:

So I have the ever fun not getting MSG because I live in CT, but blacked out on NHL Network! hooray!

8. GWB says:

Big ups to A Warren!

9. jjyank says:

At least we can finally discuss real, actual baseball. No more projections and predictions. For better or worse, I cannot wait to talk about real baseball. As is my tradition, I take the day off for opening day. Kind of a funny story about using a vacation day last year. One of my female coworkers gave me crap about taking the day off to watch a baseball game. I then reminded her that she took the day off to watch the royal wedding, and she scoffed. I simply said “hey, I’m taking the day off to watch an in-market team play, and you took a day off to watch a couple meaningless figureheads of different freaking country get married!”

So yeah, I like my tradition. Might be the last time I can pull this off though. Future employment opportunities will likely not be so understanding.

Go Yankees!

• Ruby Rich says:

No TV’s in the office?

• jjyank says:

I live out of market. So, no. Also I couldn’t do opening day justice and actually do work at the same time. If you can, that’s great. I would get fired, however. Much rather just use a vacation day.

• Ruby Rich says:

That’s too bad. I’m not sure how much time I’ll have on Monday but, hopefully I’ll be watching the first pitch in my boss’s office.

• Pat D says:

Typical stupid woman.

If that offends any of our female posters……I’m sorry, I’m not apologizing for that one. An effect of one’s mother being borderline obsessed with those two.

• vicki says:

stupid people come in all genders. i object to the ‘typical.’

• Pat D says:

All I can say then is that you should consider “stupid woman” a specific fringe group of “woman,” and that in this case, that was a typical “stupid woman.”

Like I said, I’m not apologizing.

• KeithK says:

I’ve doing the vacation day for Opening Day for years and years. Sadly I can’t get away this year so I’ll be “watching” via Gametracker. (If only they didn’t block the mlb feeds at work…)

• Bob Buttons says:

You could always try for your MLB.com account from the spanish site. I’m mostly sure that the different languages are from different locations, so you might see them unblocked.

• Bob Buttons says:

Have to say, yeah, that woman is a moron.

Your local baseball team vs two people from a land far away that won’t matter and are not really entertaining.

10. Pseudoyanks says:

Formerly Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver, Austin Aunelowitzky, Paul VuvuZuvella and back in the day… Nuke LaDoosh.

I have an appt with my accountant monday morning to do my taxes. If it goes over two hours I miss first pitch. I’ll be very quick. He better not make small talk or I’ll take out his eyes with a number two pencil.

11. D$1184 says:

Hey everyone, just doing some late night MLBtraderumors.com watching and I see the Red Sox cut Ryan Sweeney loose. Left-handed hitter, had a lousy spring training this year (.217/.308/.239, 0 hrs, 2 RBIs in 46 ABs), is coming off a rough 2012 (.260/.303/.373, 0 hrs, 16 RBIs in 204 ABs, 63 games) but was hurt. Career-wise, the numbers get considerably better (.280/.338/.378). Not a real power hitter but considering the guys on the roster right now are Vernon Wells, Brennan Boesch and Ben Francisco, I was wondering if Sweeney might constitute maybe even just a marginally up-grade. I wonder if he might be a superior defensive player to Boesch even though he doesn’t have Boesch’s power?

12. GreenArm says:

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered before, but what are folk’s thoughts on Posada managing the club one day (not saying asap, just in the future)? He schooled on the game extensively and I feel he possesses the right demeanor to do this? Thoughts?

Is anyone going to the ballgame on Thursday? I’d love to say a hello to some of you fools (meant with no disrespect, it’s just a great word) in real life, as I’ve read your opinions/thoughts for quite some time. (I’m not entirely sure where I’m sitting exactly, as a bud bought the tickets, but definitely in the bleachers in RF. Assume close to the creatures.)

Anyways, it’s SO great the season is finally starting (after what has felt like the longest offseason in maybe my life)! Looking forward to seeing results and having the ability to trash them/praise them based on ACTUAL results.

Also, I’ve said this before in my limited posts, but folks saying they’re not going to games this year because of the “sub-par” team and whatnot, but we should all be out in full force to support the farewell tour of our man Mo.

***(Last really off topic question, but is there a way to just stay registered on the site? Or is the best way to comment just typing the fields in “Leave a Reply” above and clicking “Notify me of follow up posts by email?)*** HAHA I understand it’s quite late and I may not get an answer in this thread, I may repost this in another so sorry in advance for multiple postings.

Good luck to our boys and here’s to a surprisingly good season. Gotta keep that PMA alive, no matter what.

[Cannot believe I'm still awake and coherent. Had my NL only/Keeper/Minors/Crazy stats fantasy draft tonight. Shit lasts 6 - 7 hours. I'm a tad fried.]

• GreenArm says:

And more than happy to provide my email, in case my specific “off-topic” question is a pain in the ass.

Many thanks!

• Aceves'sMountainBike says:

Ha, is GreenArm Mike B? I’m going Wednesday w/ brother in-law.
        Posada was a guest this year at ST, if they were serious on grooming him for the position, maybe resign Joe for 2 and bring Jorge on as a coach. Pena would be the closest in-house option to replace Girardi at this point. I’ll be listening today via MLB app. Let’s go CC!

• GreenArm says:

haha holy crap yes it is! who is this??
          and i guess re posada, i was thinking the grooming atarts a few years from now. maybe?
          i’m at doc office now. hope i can get somewhere to watch/listen to at least half of the game!

• GreenArm says:

haha, i’m still dying to know who this is!?!?

13. GreenArm says:

haha holy crap yes it is! who is this??