Mar

Open Thread: 3/8 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

(AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

The Yankees lost to the Giancarlo Stanton-less Marlins this afternoon, completing their little two-day trip across the state in Jupiter. Adam Warren got rocked, allowing four runs on six hits in four innings. He struck out no one but walked one. Chase Whitley allowed two runs in an inning while Branden Pinder, Mark Montgomery, and Shawn Kelley tossed up scoreless frames. Brett Gardner was held hitless for the second straight day, but he did draw a walk. Melky Mesa had two singles while Thomas Neal doubled. Eduardo Nunez singled, walked, and got picked off first base. That’s pretty much it. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

• Andy Pettitte faced hitters — including Derek Jeter — during a live batting practice session this morning. He threw three innings and his fastball location wasn’t particularly crisp, but he did feel strong. Pettitte said he is ready to pitch in a Grapefruit League game. [Jack Curry & David Waldstein]
  • Jeter, meanwhile, still isn’t sure when he will play in a game yet. Joe Girardi did hint that the Cap’n could play in tomorrow’s game as the DH, however. [Chad Jennings & Erik Boland]
  • David Robertson (shoulder) played catch again today while Phil Hughes (bulging disk) is scheduled to throw a light bullpen session tomorrow. [George King]

Here is your open thread for the evening. The Rangers and Nets are both playing, plus Team USA opens its World Baseball Classic slate against Mexico at 9pm ET on MLB Network. As you know, Mark Teixeira has withdrawn from the event. Talk about any of those games or anything else here, enjoy.

1. Steve D Fl says:

not very excited about this season. just stating the obvious. expectations very low. this wat maybe i will be pleasntly suprised.

2. forensic says:

So, who do you have next in the injury pool?

I’m thinking it’s about time for Hafner’s back to stiffen up a little.

3. Havok9120 says:

I can now join the list of wounded after my bike ride a few minutes ago.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Is it wrong that whenever anybody brings up biking injuries all I think of is POTUS in bicycle accident?

• forensic says:

Nice, a West Wing reference. Good stuff.

• Havok9120 says:

That God I didn’t hurt my ankle.

And no, that’s never wrong. Certainly not for me, that show is permanently taking up 56 gigs on my HD. It’s almost always playing in the background these days.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I am so happy I’m not alone on that. Seriously, in my head Washington works like a less efficient West Wing and House of Cards mash-up.

• forensic says:

Splurge for the box set of all 10 seasons. We did it and it’s totally worth it.

I didn’t even like the show when it was initially on TV, but got caught up in it from reruns we caught a couple years ago.

• Havok9120 says:

Amusingly, I’m currently watching the episode “Memorial Day,” also known as “the one where the President learns to throw a baseball in a Kevlar vest.”

Those scenes are among the greatest ever.

4. Manny's BanWagon says:

Tough to get excited about baseball so far. With march madness and NFL free agency coming up followed by the draft and hopefully a decent playoff run from the Knicks, maybe it’ll be enough to divert my attention from the putrescence the Yankees are gonna have to run out on the field until likely June.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I usually don’t watch March Madness until the end, but I do fill a bracket.

NFL free agency won’t take too much attention from me.

I can really only follow the Heat through highlights.

Baseball’s got about 99% of my attention already. I am ready for whatever comes.

• forensic says:

I’m always hooked on March Madness. Usually try to even schedule vacation time during at least the first weekend of the tournament. Too many good games to miss.

But, like you, I don’t really care about NFL free agency and will barely watch the draft, basically only to see who the Giants take.

5. Murderers' Row Boat says:

Who goes if Pineda comes back in July?

• Dalek Jeter says:

Cross that bridge when we come to it. If everybody is firing on all cylinders and is completely healthy, stash him at AAA until an inevitable injury or Nova/Phelps suckfest.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Way too early to be worried about that.

• Barry says:

Word coming down from my contacts is that they have Pineda shagging balls in right and swinging the bat, just for when Ichiro implodes as the AXe predicts.

6. forensic says:

I don’t think I’d say Warren got rocked. Obviously the line doesn’t look good, but of the 6 hits one was an infield single, another was a seeing eye grounder that Nix just missed, and a third was a broken bat bloop. The other 3 were two soft liners and one crushed double.

Four of the Marlins six total runs scored on outs. Sounds like what the Yankees may have to do for a bit this season.

7. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

So let’s keep playing our little game. 2000 Yanks or 2008 Yanks, without knowing the playoff results?

• Dalek Jeter says:

The numbers say the 2000 team, they had a higher WAR (21.9 vs 19.9) wOBA (.350 vs .338) and wRC+ (105 vs 104) they were also better defensively, though both weren’t great.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Aaaaaaargh…….this is hard……

2000.

• forensic says:

without knowing the playoff results

I don’t think you need to worry about that for 2008 unfortunately…

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Short series 2000, full season 2008.

• Mike HC says:

I’m taking the 2000 Yanks over both 2007 and 2008. That team was coming off 3 championships in 4 years and 2 straight. The 2007 and 2008 teams were coming off the same old story of excellent regular seasons followed by mediocre post seasons. I know from personal experience my confidence was definitely way higher going into 2000 and into the playoffs than the 2007 or 2008 teams.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

Objectively you’re nuts if you don’t take the 07′ team though. I may have felt more confident going into the playoffs but frankly it was just arrogance from having won so much recently. I have no good reason, objectively, to believe the 2000 Yanks would actually win anything in 2000.

• Mike HC says:

I get what you are saying and if it is study of pure statistics from those seasons I see why 2007 is the obvious answer. But I will still choose the team that is coming off 2 straight championships even if they do have a down a year, over the team that consistently failed in the postseason while putting up excellent regular seasons.

8. Dalek Jeter says:

This dude has the greatest job ever!

• Barry says:

I’m allergic to cats.. I’d rather be a wolf tamer or something. They have a wolf reserve not far from Blairstown in NJ and those guys get personal with those 100+ lb gray wolves and that would be better for me. Still scary when you’re walking along a fence and you see some yellow eyes inside a bush watching you.

• Herby says:

was doing photos for a wolf sanctuary once, and had one wolf walk right up to me jump up and wrap it’s paws around my shoulders and press it’s nose against my face. Turned out it had been some guys pet and had been at the sanctuary for six months after he died but didn’t have any interaction with anyone there, but I looked like his old owner. People at the sanctuary were shocked that it happened but thrilled, because he came out of his shell afterwards.

9. Robinson Tilapia says:

Raise your hand if you volunteered to stay home tonight so that your wife can have a girls’ night out.

*raises hand*

Happy International Women’s Day.

• forensic says:

My wife and I are having a babysitter tomorrow to have our first date day since the baby. I’m getting up early for that.

I think that counts for something. :-)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh wow. You probably could really use it.

We’ve been very lucky in that regard. Whenever we visit the in-laws in CT, we get date nights every night, plus have an arrangement in which, if you’d like to sit in our living room for a couple of hours while our son’s sound asleep, we’ll buy you a bottle of wine and a pint of ice cream. We’ve have friends take us up on it, but really should be doing it more.

HAVE A BLAST.

• Dalek Jeter says:

…what about a bottle of scotch and a pint of ice cream? Also, will you be far away? Also, will you return home immediately if he awakens. Final question, could it be a small bottle of whiskey, a pint of vanilla ice cream, and some root beer?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

HAHAHAHA!

1) If he awakens, if he’s not in danger, you are to let him fall asleep again. He will.

2) A very small bottle of whiskey.

• forensic says:

Sigh, if only they were all that easy…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, they’re all different. This is why I never pass judgement on anyone’s approach, bedtime, etc.

They all come out fine in the end.

• Dalek Jeter says:

See I’m really bad at that first part. I would be like “oh, poor little man, come hang out and eat icecream and candy and watch cartoons until mom and pop come home.”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He usually sleeps from about 7 PM to 5 AM without a peep. Maybe the occasional wakeup, as I honestly think he’s started having vivid dreams.

The 5 AM is a killer. That’s been the past couple of weeks.

• forensic says:

Yeah, it’s just for a couple hours, maybe a movie or a little casino’ing or something, but it should be nice.

We don’t have any family out here and we feel bad taking our friends up on their offers (since they all have young children too). Also, my wife hasn’t quite been ready to leave him with anyone else for a period of time yet, but tomorrow she’s going to give it a shot.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s so incredibly nice to experience what it’s like to be with each other after such a long time. You don’t realize how you miss it until you’re actually there. It’s incredibly important. I hope you get more shots at adult time soon.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Raise your hand if you didn’t know woman’s day was a thing?

*bashfully raises hand and accepts scorn*

• trr says:

You’re a better man than I!

10. forensic says:

I knew they hadn’t been scoring this Spring, but I just noticed that after tonight they’ll have the 2nd fewest runs scored of any team in baseball, ahead of only the Brewers who have played one less game.

I know there are still 3+ weeks left, but it’d sure be nice to at least some signs of lift from some guys. Youkilis (still hitless), Hafner, Johnson, and Nunez (among strongly possible MLBer’s) in particular have a lot of work to do in those 3 weeks (and of course Jeter).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s so hard to know what to think of that. Yes, most of these games are being won and lost by guys who probably will never sniff a regular season game at the MLB level, but the regulars are out there for some of the game, and their contributions are only increasing at this point.

In the end, we’ve seen spring mean nothing one too many times throughout the years to worry, I think.

• forensic says:

Yeah, I know the team stuff isn’t a huge deal (which is why I resisted mentioning their 2nd worst record of all teams), but still, some individual improvement would be nice. It’s not always that easy to just flip a switch and be in the groove when April hits.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yet flipping the switch has been done before, and someone seems to do it every year (no stats to back that up, of course.)

I’m worried because of what I think I know about the players who are going to take the field on Opening Day, but I’m pretty sure I’d be less worried if a healthy team, or the 2012 team, was playing to the same results right now.

• forensic says:

Yeah, the injuries and unknowns (new/recovering injuries, who’s making the roster, age) are certainly adding to the nervousness about what’s going to happen with this team this year, and especially for the first month or two.

• forensic says:

signs of life, not lift…

• Laz says:

Don’t really care, as long as they seem to be getting in the right place. ST standing never line up with regular season standings.

11. Barry says:

Anyone else find it annoying that you have to search Christopher Austin on fangraphs to get Tyler Austin…

12. Robinson Tilapia says:

Attn Pat D: I’m now convinced the reason Ziggler is losing so much leading up to WM is that no one is better at making his opponent look good.

• Pat D says:

Or they’re committed to him being the luckiest, least credible champion in the history of the organization.

13. Hans Moleman says:

Ramiro fucking Pena…

C’mon Dickey don’t embarrass us.

14. forensic says:

RA Dickey just gave up a crushed double to Ramiro Pena.

Why are people concerned about him in the AL East again? ;-)

15. Jersey Joe says:

So I was reading a link from MLBTR about the age 27 season thing and it listed a few players who need to figure it out this year.

I found A few interesting names.

Michael Taylor? He’s a bit old for a prospect, but he would be an interesting RH OF candidate this year and next year when Ichiro is hopefully just a 4OF.

Eric Young Jr.? In a crowded Rockies OF and 2B, it’s looking more and more like he’s not going to get many chances. Could the Yankees acquire him for extra speed in the OF?

Ian Stewart? Ugh. YS3 would be good for him, but only as a backup 1B/3B next year like Chavy was last year.

Brett Wallace? With the Tex injury, he might be a good idea for YS3, but I much prefer Dan Johnson.

16. forensic says:

Way to go Dickey, yet another embarrassing appearance for the US here…

17. Hall and Nokes says:

Aceves is on Mexico? Just gotta stay within striking distance, methinks.

18. Nick says:

Why the fuck are you batting Hosmer 6th. Now Stanton will come up with the bases empty

• Havok9120 says:

Bu-bu-but, Joe Torre never made mistakes in the dynasty years!!!! His understanding of the game is so much more complete than Girardi. He’s got the FEEL for it, see…??? So much better than teh all knowing Binder.

19. Hall and Nokes says:

David Wright must be used to being the lone bright spot by now.

20. McLovin says:

Team USA fucking blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. forensic says:

Somebody should wake up Torre and tell him that Hosmer can’t hit lefties at all.

22. Joe Torre says:

What inning is Scott Proctor pitching again?