Mar

Pineda scheduled to resume throwing sliders on Tuesday

Via Chad Jennings: Michael Pineda is scheduled to throw a full 35-pitch bullpen session tomorrow, during which he will throw sliders for the first time since having shoulder surgery last May. The 24-year-old right-hander has been gradually stretching out his bullpen work and started incorporating changeups about three weeks ago. Throwing breaking balls is a pretty huge rehab milestone because of the stress they put on the arm, so this isn’t a negligible bit of news. If Pineda comes through tomorrow’s bullpen fine and can continue throwing sliders as he builds up arm strength and stretches out, it will be an overwhelming positive development for his rehab.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. jsbrendog says:

there is a god (until he blows his elbow throwing sliders)

fingers crossed.

2. murakami says:

He’s going to end up in short relief.

3. vin says:

Fingers AND toes are crossed.

If he can come back, it’ll almost be like the Yankees have too much starting pit… nevermind.

4. Eddard says:

Encouraging news. If he were healthy he’d be the one I’d be shopping around for a trade. Nova and Phelps already have the 5th starter and long man roles wrapped up. There is no room for Pineda this season but next season we could have a solid young rotation of CC, Hughes, Nova, Phelps, Pineda.

• jjyank says:

If Pineda was healthy, he’d be way better than either of those two guys.

Plus, he’s young. So if Pineda was healthy, what exactly would be your problem with him? Granted, him being healthy is not a sure thing at this point, but if he were? You’d take Nova and Phelps over him? This man crush you’ve got on those two is becoming truly epic.

• vin says:

Don’t forget Hughes will be a FA after this season. I’m really curious to see what happens with Nova, Phelps and Pineda this year, as well as Jose Ramirez, Banuelos and Brett Marshall. If enough of those guys can perform, stay healthy (or get healthy in Manny’s case), then I think they let Phil walk.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, you kidder, you.

• Jim Is Bored says:

I just, I can’t even…what?

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Oh, Eddard!

• Bob Buttons says:

Nothing like selling low on a guy you traded your consensus #1 prospect for, no?

5. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

Won’t this start a food fight? With all the injuries hitting this team, I hardly think they should be fooling around Belushi-style in Amimal House …

6. theyankeewarrior says:

we win the trade!

7. Cool Lester Smooth says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

is all I have to say.

Let’s keep winning that trade.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

We might actually live to see the day where Pineda’s the guy we thought we were trading for. Whoda thunk it?

Looking forward to seeing this guy.

• Bo Knows says:

*raises hands

I’ve been tooting that horn for the past year, of course he’s still far from being out of the woods yet, but I’ve been advocating that he can still be that guy.

• jjyank says:

I’ll raise my hand as well. As soon as I found out that A) other guys have come back just fine from this and B) his surgery was less invasive as originally thought, I was optimistic. If this shit is gonna happen to a guy, I’m glad it happened young. He has a better chance of coming back from it at 23 than he would as he ages, I’d imagine.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I’ve been beating the “This is Anibal Sanchez’s and Roger Clemens’ surgery, not Brandon Webb’s” drum for about 11 months at this point.

9. Scott says:

Any reports of how hard Pineda is throwing? I know breaking balls put on more stress, but given the lack of a strong 4-pitch repertoire, I’m hoping he’s still able to throw hard….

• jjyank says:

You won’t find any. Nobody puts a radar gun on someone at this point in his rehab. I doubt we’ll have any idea until he starts playing in games.

• Havok9120 says:

They rarely, if ever, use guns this early. Given the frenzy that occurred last spring I wouldn’t be surprised if they were even more cautious with letting radar guns within shouting distance of this guy.

10. Mike Myers says:

Positive thoughts…..

After the all star game they yankees will bring in a possible ace (mikey p) and a former world class 3b thats still above avg (arod). Not too shabby.

11. CS Yankee says:

Pineda to the Bronx on/around June 2nd, after going 3-0 with a 1.29 ERA in AAA. This promoted is to replace Hughes, who along with Adams, was traded to the Pads for Chase Headley.

/positivewishfulthinking’d

12. Cesar "Stairs" Cabral says:

*lurks*

13. BigBSArteest says:

I give it six months, and he’s in Houston with Laird, Maxwell, and a stripper from Haiti.

14. BigBSArteest says:

and Paredes fish mongerer.

15. dalelama says:

Keep fingers crossed ……it would have been nice to have Montero to stick at first right now.

• pablos crab delite says:

Keep fingers crossed ……it would have been nice to have Montero to screw at first right now now

16. Dalek Jeter says:

So, 3 weeks of 2-3 bullpens a week throwing 30-40 pitches (all 3 of his pitches), followed by 2 weeks of throwing BP 2-3 times a week, followed by 4 weeks of eST/MiL starts…we could see Pineda on a big league mound by like May, maybe?!

17. Heismanziel says:

Pineda is a very important piece of the puzzle for this organization. If he can come back healthy and regain his form from Seattle, we will be in a pretty good place. Anything we get from him this year would be a absolute bonus. Knowing that we can slot him in as a everyday stater going into next year is of the utmost importance.

18. Bigbadfran says:

Why is he throwing sliders when his fastball is only hitting 84?????