Mar

Sherman: Carlos Lee’s agent contacted Yankees

Via Joel Sherman: Carlos Lee’s agent contacted the Yankees in the wake of Mark Teixeira‘s wrist injury. Doesn’t seem like there is much going on there, and it’s worth noting Lee invoked his no-trade clause to block a trade to the Bronx last summer. I guess he had a change of heart given the lack of job opportunities.

Lee, 36, is actually a decent fit as the stopgap first baseman/right-handed hitting outfield platoon bat. He’s an awful defensive player, but he can still hit lefties a bit (113 wRC+ vs. LHP since 2010) even though his power is disappearing and his offensive game is built around contact. Did you know Lee walked more times (54) than he struck out (49) in 2012? I sure didn’t. Anyway, I’m not too sure this one is going to happen despite the team’s current needs.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

If I have to sign with the Yankees, I’ll eat a bag of dicks.

Love,
    Dalek Lee

2. Busy Mom and Novelist says:

Resolved: Dr. Who fans are more annoying than Trekkies.

3. trr says:

when someone really wants a job, anything’s possible. I’m not sure I want him. Does everyone on this team have to be 35 or over?

4. Ally says:

Carlos Lee seems like a great fit to me. He’s a good RBI guy with few strikeouts. A lot like Derrick, but he played last year for Houston and Miami, so he’s not so rusty. Would cost no players as he is a FA. Doubt he would have to be paid much.

5. Jim Is Bored says:

Why is Cashman still trying to trade for guys who are over the hill? Soon he’s going to trade away our prospects and we’ll be old and injury prone. We have to keep the young guys.

Did I do it right?

6. Eddard says:

Carlos would be a good fit. We need more contact hitters who don’t strike out a lot. And he wouldn’t cost any prospects which we should be hording like gold right now. He would be a good bench player and mentor to the kids.

7. JohnC says:

Prediction: Yanks trade for Carlos Pena before ST ends

8. Jim Cavanaugh says:

I hope Cashman doesn’t sign anyone for now because it seems the deeper we get into Spring Training the more ridiculous these names get, so keep this going !!!

9. Endlessmike says:

Lee,Rolen,Jones.Yeah Cashman is officially dumpster diving.

• Jim Is Bored says:

“Carlos Lee’s agent contacted the Yankees in the wake of Mark Teixeira‘s wrist injury.”

Actually, the dumpsters are diving for Cashman.

10. gageagainstthemachine says:

I’ve decided to bring in a few ringers, professional baseballers. We’ll give them token jobs at the plant and have them play on our softball team. Honus Wagner, Cap Anson, Mordecai “Three-Finger” Brown…

11. Greg says:

Carlos Lee has become a weird player in his old age. Like a 270 pound Marco Scutaro.

12. Derek Jeter's Fade says:

Brining back Don Mattingly to play 1st base would be awesome! With the technology we have today, I’m sure he could still manage the Dodgers while playing first. That’s what Twitter is for!