Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Robbie’s back

Ugh, Robbie. No. (Mike Ehrmann/Getty)

Ugh, Robbie. No. (Mike Ehrmann/Getty)

Fresh off his MVP-winning performance with the World Baseball Classic champion Dominican Republic, Robinson Cano is back in Yankees camp for the first time in about three weeks. He had 32 at-bats during the WBC, which put him at 50 total for Spring Training. That leads the Yankees. So yeah, Cano won’t be rusty despite being away from the team. Let’s just hope he avoids the injury bug that seems to be spreading through the clubhouse. Here’s the starting lineup, which looks an awful lot like what we figure to see for much of April…

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. LF Ichiro Suzuki
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. 1B Kevin Youkilis
  5. DH Travis Hafner
  6. RF Brennan Boesch
  7. SS Eduardo Nunez
  8. 3B Jayson Nix
  9. Frankie Cervelli

And on the mound is the St. Louis kid, David Phelps. Here is the night’s second strong, courtesy Chad Jennings.

Available Pitchers: RHP Mariano Rivera, RHP David Robertson, LHP Boone Logan, and RHP David Aardsma will all pitch. Robertson pitched yesterday and I believe this will be his first set of back-to-back appearances in camp.

Available Position Players: C Austin Romine, 1B Dan Johnson, 2B Gil Velazquez, SS Walter Ibarra, 3B Ronnie Mustelier, LF Addison Maruszak, CF Melky Mesa, and RF Thomas Neal are all scheduled to come off the bench.

Tonight’s game is scheduled to begin a little after 7pm ET and can be seen on YES and MLB.tv (no local blackout). Enjoy.

1. Now Batting says:

When I first saw the headline I thought there was something wrong with Robbie’s back.

God damn I need a drink.

2. Eddard says:

This is the best lineup they’ve had all spring. But nobody’s going to be watching this. They’re watching the tournament. The most overrated #1 seed of all time is going down to the wire with Southern.

• Jersey Joe says:

*Scrambling through old game threads, later realizing that Eddard is correct*

• Dalek Jeter says:

I felt like there was a reason the thread must be dead…I didn’t realize the Tourney started.

• MannyGeee says:

My bracket is fucked already… I am watching Planet Earth with my kids instead.

• Dalek Jeter says:

There is no way to say this with out sounding like a complete stoner, but there is nothing more relaxing then getting high and watching Planet Earth.

• jjyank says:

I feel ya. I didn’t watch it until after I quit, but it is an amazing show.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Oh, man…you missed out. I lost an entire day watching that show.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, it was around when I was in college, but I was more concerned with watching Entourage, Weeds, and It’s Always Sunny instead. Still a great show though.

• MannyGeee says:

I was more concerned with boobies when I was in college… But now as a responsible parent I am trying to provide something other than brainless bullshit cartoons (which, to come full circle, they should be watching whilst high in college)…

• Dalek Jeter says:

Nah, I’m telling you nature documentaries are the way to go. They’re incredible! Blue Planet is really good too, it’s not Planet Earth, but it’s still great.

• jjyank says:

Well, boobies too. Entourage and Weeds aired on Sundays :P

Fridays and Saturdays, however, were indeed about boobies.

3. jjyank says:

It’s okay, Robbie. I get the whole caught up in national pride and the excitement among the players. It’s cool.

As long as you don’t bring that arrow shit back with you.

4. Dalek Jeter says:

I thought Romine got optioned down to minor league camp a couple weeks ago?

5. Jersey Joe says:

Thomas Neal: Midseason trade chip or important role player going forward?

6. trr says:

so far my bracket is lookin’ good!
    I’ll enjoy it while I can….

Doesn’t seem like it’s looking good for Derek on Opening Day, but I wouldn’t bet against the Cap’n

7. Dalek Jeter says:

David Phelps is doing his best AJ Burnett impression: Everybody he doesn’t strike out is getting a base hit.

• MannyGeee says:

Suddenly:

YANKEES trade Phelps for AJ Burnett, claiming Phelps’ ceiling is AJ.

/A-Jax’d

• lightSABR says:

You know, I thought there wasn’t anything I’d put past the front office this season, but you just proved me wrong. Trading to get Burnett back? Hilarious. Thank heavens it’s not going to happen, I don’t care whether people are calling him the Bucs’ ace.

8. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Not sure hitting over 20 HR’s one time qualifies as doing it consistently, Lou.

• forensic says:

Catching up on some of the game now, and I haven’t gotten there yet, but Piniella did just call Miguel Cabrera, Angel Cabrera somehow…

• forensic says:

Why do I torture myself like this?

Piniella just went through about 4-5 things saying how good a pickup and player Boesch is, none of which I think are true.

His analysis is about as accurate as Flaherty’s is exciting. What a complete waste.

9. MannyGeee says:

OK I am LOVING Cal as a 12 seed upset over UNLV right now. Need that win to get some leverage in my bracket pool at work.

• Pat D says:

I’m glad to report I still suck at picking upsets.

I got Oregon, but I also picked St. Mary’s, Belmont and South Dakota State. And I did not pick Cal.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I had Belmont too.

I had OK St. going to the Sweet 16.
        *flush*

Had Pitt over Wichita St., but didn’t have them going farther. Not awful.

I went somewhat against convention this year after years of boring, conventional brackets, but stopped short of going balls-out with a Zaga/UM finale. I’m not crazy enough to see Zaga getting past Louisville.

• Pat D says:

I also had Pitt, but 8/9 games are a toss up. Though if UNC loses to Villanova tomorrow, I will bitch about it endlessly.

I also had Pitt losing to Gonzaga, so not much of a big deal. I have Gonzaga losing to Wisconsin in the Sweet 16.

• MannyGeee says:

I had Cal tonight (brilliant) but I also had Valpo playing super spoiler v. Mich St… (Dumbass).

The Oregon & Wichita State wins screwed me a bit.

All this said, I didn’t really think about my picks. I poured a scotch and was done my bracket before my second sip…

• forensic says:

All along I was planning on picking Cal but then somehow when I filled out the bracket it said UNLV on it. I blame it on my wife.

10. Nice Guy Eddie says:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but i care so little about the tournament this year. The only guys I know in the tourny are people i know personally.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but i care so little about the tournament. this year. The only guys I know in the tourny are people i know personally

That sums up how I feel. Never followed college hoops, even when I did follow pro ball.

• Bob Buttons says:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but i care so little don’t care at all about the tournament. this year. ever.

In fact I think I always get more enjoyment from soaking my feet in a hot bucket of water.

I mean I’ll play the video games if someone else needed a player 2 and I’ll fill in if I walk by some pick-up game and acquaintances needed another guy, but I can’t stand watching the sport. Don’t know why but I cannot get much enjoyment from watching it (other than the occasional 2 min at end of close playoffs potential elimination game).

11. forensic says:

That photo disgusts me so much I can barely even put it into words. It’s like when I saw him hit one of his doubles and he did the ‘claw’ when he got to second base.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

OMG. I love that photo. I thought about making it my FB cover pic for a while.

• Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Trying out the whole trolling thing, huh? Cool Bro.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I fucking liked the picture.

I don’t like the bow and arrow stuff because, when I see it, it tends to mean the Yankees just lost. On its own merits, I don’t give a shit.

• Bob Buttons says:

If the people in the photo were Asian and the background was in a city, the caption would probably be ‘Gojirrraaaaaaa!!!!!!’

Not trying to be racist but that’s the first thing that popped in my mind when I looked at their pose.

• Balboni says:

Agreed. Almost makes me hope the Yanks let Robbie walk after this season. Seriously though, is paying Arod and Cano 50 mil+ per year over the next 5 years really smart? Is re-building a team with a 31 yo 2nd baseman really that smart? I am starting to feel like ripping the band aide off is the best idea.

12. godfather says:

cano/joba to the rangers for andrus/kinsler/olt…if jetes can still motor around in ’14, he becomes an older zobrist