Mar

ST Game Thread & Chat: Hiro & Youk return

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

Assuming Ivan Nova came into camp with a leg up in the fifth starter’s competition, the Yankees will send a projected big league starter to the mound for the first time this spring today. Hiroki Kuroda is making his Grapefruit League debut against Roy Halladay and the Phillies this afternoon, exactly one month before Opening Day. The rest of the projected rotation will make their debuts in the coming days and weeks.

As Kuroda makes his debut, Kevin Youkilis will be returning to the lineup following a brief oblique-related scare. He insisted it was nothing major and considering he only missed a few days, I have to agree. Obliques tend to linger and he wouldn’t be back so soon — in Spring Training, no less — if it was anything more than a stitch in his side. Joe Girardi hinted he might only get one at-bat, however. Here is the starting lineup…

1. SS Eduardo Nunez
  2. C Frankie Cervelli
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. 3B Kevin Youkilis
  5. DH Juan Rivera
  6. LF Melky Mesa
  7. RF Thomas Neal
  8. 1B Kyle Roller
  9. CF Adonis Garcia

And on the mound is the right-hander from Osaka, Hiroki Kuroda. Here is the day’s second string, courtesy of Chad Jennings.

Available Pitchers: RHP David Robertson, RHP Joba Chamberlain, RHP Cody Eppley, and LHP Vidal Nuno will all come out of the bullpen. RHP Mark Montgomery is also available if needed.

Available Position Players: C Gary Sanchez, 1B Greg Bird, 2B Walt Ibarra, SS Gil Velazquez, 3B Addison Maruszak, LF Ronnie Mustelier, RF Zoilo Almonte, and DH Bobby Wilson will all come off the bench. Garcia is scheduled to play the entire game in center.

This afternoon’s game is scheduled to start a little after 1pm ET and can be seen on both YES and MLB.tv (no local blackouts). Because it’s Friday, I’m going to chat during the game. That will start right around first pitch, so join in after the jump.

1. Havok9120 says:

OooooOOOOOOoohhh. Game chat? GAME CHAT!

Something to keep me amused during this psychology lecture.

• dalelama says:

Pheewww….this line-up makes you want to hold your nose. It smells like the Bronx on a humid summer afternoon.

2. Barry's Gift Basket says:

Yes! game chat :)

3. forensic says:

Wow, Lorenz and Flaherty in the same game? And in Spring Training no less?

Guess YES isn’t looking to keep people around for much more than a few innings…

• Pat D says:

It’s been painful to watch the last two games, so…I might switch over to Netflix and continue with my ST:TNG and DS9 viewing.

• forensic says:

They had the same pairing yesterday too? I still have that game DVR’d, haven’t gotten to watch it yet (along with 2 or 3 others from this week).

• Pat D says:

Yesterday it was Kenny and Flash. I meant the games themselves were painful. Nothing but a comedy of errors on Wednesday, absolutely no hitting yesterday.

• Stratman9652 says:

I thought the Geneva Convention protected us from these things.

4. dkidd says:

larry rothchild is looking more and more like the church lady

5. forensic says:

Why do the Yankees still allow their minor leaguers to use Jai Alai cesta’s to field the ball?

It makes them look really bad when they actually have to use a real glove.

6. Pat D says:

Brian in MA: The answer to your question is “veteran presents.” They bring veteran presents.

7. forensic says:

Screw PFP’s.

The Yankees need some FFP’s (Fielder’s fielding practice)!

8. pat says:

Does the site load as the mobile version for anyone else? Even when I clock the little toggle thing to Switch mobile theme to off it just loads the same thing again.

• forensic says:

I used to have that problem all the time with several different browsers through iPhone and iPad. Someone then recommended I try the Atomic Web browser and you can permanently change all the settings in it to always get the desktop version instead of the mobile version. It also has extra buttons you can program on the touch screen to easily get to the bottom of a long page of comments and things like that.

I would recommend taking a look at that and see if you like it.

9. Jersey Joe says:

Cervelli 2nd? I feel like they would see what Youk has to offer there…

10. Rigoleto says:

Joba is throwing 93-94.

11. lightSABR says:

On our way to 7 straight losses, with lousy performances by our no. 2 starter and 7th-inning setup man.

Here’s to spring training, when I don’t have to care. (Though I confess, it is getting old.)

12. bern_baby_bern says:

Late to the party here, how did Kuroda look? Any other pitchers of note come in and out?

• forensic says:

Kuroda, Robertson (1 batter), and Joba all pitched already.

Kuroda was ok, a little squeezed, Yankees little league defense didn’t help at all.

• bern_baby_bern says:

Robertson for 1 batter? That has to be maddening for those in attendance, or at least I hope it was a frivolous move and not for any other reason.

• forensic says:

Kuroda reached his pitch count in the 2nd following more sad defense, and Robertson came in (I think bases loaded?) to just finish the inning.

13. Hey Now says:

“…and here’s a routine grounder to the left side, let’s see how the scrubs fuck this one up.”

-Things You Will Not Hear from John Flaherty

14. lightSABR says:

Nuno and Frankie on a nice double play to end the inning–strikeout and throw-out. Glad I didn’t miss it.

15. Bryan says:

I kind of hope the Yanks do the risky thhing and bring both Melky2.0 and Zoilo to NY for the start of the year. They cannot be any less than Matt Diaz at this point right?

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

Agreed, but the yankees won’t do that, they’ll take Rivera north unless he gets hurt.

Plus, there is a lot of spring left, things could change, and remember how things went with Raul last year.

• Vern Sneaker says:

That’s what I want,too, gives you another lefty bat with Almonte switch-hitting vs. RH, but you’d have to cut Rivera and I don’t think the Yanks will do that. Bench would be Hafner/Nunez, whoever’s not catching, Almonte/Mesa, and Nix. Have to keep Nix because of Nunez defense. Also, without Rivera (or Johnson) there’s no back-up for when Tex is out/hurt except Youkilis.Not much flexibility. I say do it anyway for a month.

• Bryan says:

Uggh I do not know what exactly Rivera adds to the teama. An additional old man who once played for the Yankees? His production can be easily replicated.

And while people will talk about Ibanez, that did not exactly work out perfectly. He was bad in the field and stopped hitting for a large portion of the regular season. His postseason was great but his season? Meh…

• forensic says:

I’d be fine with one (I’d probably lean slightly toward Almonte, but could be swayed either way), but I certainly don’t think I’d want both of them.

• Vern Sneaker says:

Why? Are Rivera or Diaz or Johnson an upgrade?

• forensic says:

Don’t really care about Rivera or Johnson. I’m curious to see what Diaz does over the next couple of weeks to see if he’s viable against lefties. I would also strongly consider Mustelier (or Nunez if he’s not already on the roster) instead of a second of Almonte/Mesa.

16. forensic says:

If John Flaherty, the broadcaster, says one more obvious name in the Yankees organization and then adds their job title after it again, I might snap!!!

• flamingo says:

They tend to speak to the casual viewers, don’t they? I wonder if they have some sort of statistic showing that a good percentage of the viewers don’t know much about the Yankees – because otherwise, why talk down to your audience?

17. forensic says:

It doesn’t matter when or where or what uniform, it always feels so nice when they smack Papelbon around for some reason. :-)

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

Because he seems (is?) like a jerk, and that stupid face he makes before every pitch like he is sucking… you know.

I will hate Papelpunk forever.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

Plus his last name to me is stupid, in spanish it means paper, as the paper of a notebook.

Boy, I’d give everything to make him my elementary school classmate back in the day. To be a bully.

• Mikhel says:

Yeah, kinda sounds like a type of paper: papel bond (bond paper).

• RetroRob says:

Which leads to an interesting question. Well, as interesting as any pointless question can be in ST.

Would Papelbon joining the Yankees be more annoying to some fans than Youkilis? I’m in the camp of Youkilis doesn’t bother me at all. He can help the Yankees, and I know it pains Red Sox fans that he’s wearing the pinstripes.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

I gotta say that i dislike Papelbon the most, but;

If he comes as the closer you bet he’d be asked to leave town has soon as he blows the first save, he’d be taking Mo’s place… a guy some people in Yankeeland see as some sort of God.

This may sound crazy, but the fact that Youkilis is substituting Rodriguez, a guy that aparantly some Yankee fans hate even more than Youkilis, makes it easier IMO. I’m talking about characters and intangibles here, not performance related stuff.

So it may come down not to Youkilis or Papelbond per se, but who they would be substituting.

• Barry says:

“G”od is for the judeo-christian God. Mo is a god in the pagan sense, the god of closing.
              Go with Mo.

18. JohnC says:

Musteilier with an opposite field homer. Now 6-4.

• RetroRob says:

Bad on you. On firt usage, he must be referred to as Future HOFer Ronnier Mustelier. (And, btw, I still don’t know if I can spell his name.)

19. forensic says:

Serious Lorenz? A much-needed off-day??? They’ve played less than a week of games with a roster of about 7000 players to choose from.

Yeah, they should be really tired…

20. forensic says:

Is Addison Maruszak really this terrible defensively, or was he just voted captain of the Bad News Bears today?

21. vicki says:

had stuff to do on my computer so i’ve only had radio broadcast. looking forward to some hot vidal gif action.

22. RetroRob says:

Really, Bob? Some people think he’s a little pudgy.

23. M-Three says:

We all know that you have to take what you see in spring training with a grain of salt but I’ve been impressed with some our young relievers. Montgomery is the one who always gets all the talk but Kahnle, Pinder and Claiborne have reached open my eyes. Image if 2 or 3 of these kids can make as solid end of game relievers, that will really help us out when it comes to the luxury tax by not having to spend money on the pen.

I have always been a big proponent of building the bullpen from within anywayy. It drove me nuts for years when Cashman wasted money on scrubs like Farnsworth, Hawkins, Park and Karsay.Guys who we all knew were crap and had to watch blow games or get smacked around.