Mar

Yankees designate David Aardsma for assignment

This is surprising. The Yankees have designated right-hander David Aardsma for assignment, presumably to make room on the 40-man roster for their various scrap heap pickups. Joe Girardi said he was unable to provide distance out of the bullpen and “didn’t really fit.”

Aardsma, 31, missed the last two years due to injury but had a strong spring and looked poised to assume a middle relief role this season. The Yankees signed him to a one-year, $500k deal last year with a $500k option for this year, so he was cheap if nothing else. I know they need the 40-man space, but Aardsma was their fourth best right-handed reliever. Very weird, but ultimately not a huge loss.

In other news, right-hander Shawn Kelley has been told he made the team thanks to his ability to throw multiple innings. Jayson Nix, Lyle Overbay, and Ben Francisco were also told they were on the club. No surprised there.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Cy Pettitte says:

early April Fools?

Don’t understand this move at all.

2. dkidd says:

he’ll be a ranger by morning

3. trr says:

no, not at all. maybe there is an explanation, or is the F/O even shakier than we fear?

4. YankinCO says:

The hits keep on coming! It’s almost like they are making these bad moves intentionally! Mind blowing off season and spring. They will deserve the last place finish.

5. Jack says:

This sucks. Great guy, solid middle reliever.

6. Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

This year keeps getting more weird. What the hell is the explanation for this? Shawn Kelley instead?

7. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Only reason I can think of is they preferred to keep relievers w/options for flexibility.

Or they were just completely unimpressed with how he looked this spring.

8. Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

“Didn’t really fit.”

Maybe he ran his mouth to the wrong guy.

• Herby says:

maybe he just wasn’t good enough

• Caballo Sin Nombre says:

“Didn’t really fit” the plan to get through 2014. They are most likely going to lose Mo, Joba, and Logan due to the payroll threshold. If they had kept Aardsma, he would be gone too. They probably wanted to keep one potential holdover besides DR; Especially given they are likely losing their 2, 3 and 4 starters as well.

9. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

Let’s see how it plays out. Maybe they have a trade in the works.

10. Kevin W says:

I dont understand this move either but lets stop pretending the sky is falling. David Aardsma wasn’t going to be the difference between making and missing the playoffs. “He didnt really fit” the 2006 All-Star team they’re trying to rebuild.

11. Scott says:

I’m happy to second-guess a lot of Yankee moves, but this is one where I think we have to concede that we weren’t there to see how he’d looked after missing so much time, and the reports that his velocity was down to 90-91 are evidence he wasn’t 100% of the guy he was pre-injury.

• dkidd says:

I CONCEDE NOTHING!!!!!!!

• Scott says:

… and even before injury, he walked >5 per 9 IP, while not keeping the ball down great (0.9 HR/9 IP in a pitcher’s park), so his 9.1 K/9 rate isn’t as exciting as it seems.

No loss. Kelley is at least as promising.

12. Cy Pettitte says:

Forget about Shawn Kelley over Aardsma, I’m more confused about why Eppley over Aardsma. Joe says they want flexibility with a multi inning reliever but they can keep Eppley on the roster who had an atrocious ST, is a ROOGY and is a ground ball pitcher who will be hurt by the poor left side on the infield defense.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

It might just be that if they prefer Kelley over Aardsma, whoever was taken between Eppley and Aardsma was going to be sent out when Rapada or Hughes gets activated, so they kept the pitcher they could send to AAA.

Otherwise, I don’t get it.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Has Eppley definitely made the team though?

13. Herby says:

not too surprising, couldn’t really reach past velocity, hitters were squaring up his pitches too much. The games I saw him pitch I wasn’t too impressed. They probably figured they could get the same results out of Jim Miller or Kelley.

14. jjyank says:

Huh. Can’t say that I saw that coming. Maybe they think he clears? Without looking too deeply into the needs of other teams, I wouldn’t think he clears though.

15. Pat D says:

Curious. “Unable to provide distance” sounds to me like “We don’t want Joba or DRob going multiple innings in case something happens with Mo.”

16. Maybe a trade if not I’m not loosing sleep over a surgically repaired pitcher who hasn’t thrown a MLB inning in 2 years and whose velocity is down. Yankees have a lot of success with bullpen pick ups so they probably saw something.

17. LK says:

From start to finish, this has truly been an offseason of surprises.

I was actually worried that Aardsma was going to suck, and they’d stick with him too long because he’s a veteran and all.

18. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

It’ll be interesting to see who the last 2 relievers are now (to fill in for Hughes and Rapada)

I’d guess Eppley and Warren are the only realistic options from the 40-man roster.
    From the non-40 man roster, maybe Nuno, Spence, Claiborne, and Miller are options.

19. Keav says:

AARDSMA WUZ BLOCKING TEH KIDZ!!!!!

20. forensic says:

Money well spent, again…

But hey, at least they haven’t spent $108 million on Tony Romo…

21. CONservative governMENt says:

Bad spring to be a David A, I guess.

Yankees have earned my trust in assembling a bullpen, so no worries from me.

22. Greg says:

really irrelevant. In about 2 weeks Hughes comes off the DL and Aardsma/Kelley would be done then anyway.

23. Mike says:

Geez..it’s Aardsma, not Cy F’n Young. Relax.

24. MannyGeee says:

I wonder if they want to continue working with him so they see sending him down to Scranton as an opportunity to get hims some more IPs. Spitballing…

Or, just maybe, he needs to strengthen his arm up some more and they’d rather do that in a controlled environment instead of letting him get shellacked by MLB hitters.

25. Darren says:

I always assume in situations like this that it’s a clubhouse thing. Like Aardsma must have banged the wrong chick or said something crazy. Mini Chad Curtis syndrome. Or he’s gay?

Of course, this is absolutely unfounded speculation.

26. ClusterAardsmaDuck says:

Aard move.

27. COUGAR says:

ABSOLUTE JOKE THAT KELLY MADE THE TEAM

28. Dicka24 says:

I’ve been reading that Aardsma was throwing 89-90 mph for the most part. A far cry from the mid 90′s stuff he had pre TJ. He’s has no command to speak of, so if he isn’t blowing heat by guys, my guess is they looked into the future a little bit, and saw some ugly results coming. It’s disappointing on the surface cuz Aardsma has past closing experience, and was at least a servicable vet arm out of the pen. In this case though, coming back from serious surgery, I trust the Yankees decision cuz they’ve seen him up close and personal, while the rest of us have not. They must see something that truly isn’t right with him. I think at least.

29. sweet sassy molassy says: