Mar

Yanks interested in Chien-Ming Wang, had “major interest” in Vazquez

As expected, the Yankees had someone on hand to scout Chien-Ming Wang during his World Baseball Classic start on Friday night and remain interested in signing him according to Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman. George King says his fastball was clocked in the 88-92 mph range, which is pretty good considering a) the extent of his shoulder injuries, and b) it’s only early-March. Wang, 32, held a weak Australia lineup to four singles in six scoreless innings despite the mandatory 65-pitch limit.

Meanwhile, Nick Cafardo says the Yankees were one of five teams with “major interest” in Javy Vazquez before he blew out his knee and required surgery. The 36-year-old reportedly threw the ball very well during his winter ball stint in Puerto Rico and was considering a return to MLB after sitting out last summer, though the knee injury is likely to keep him out all year. Despite Wang’s lack of success since his mid-2008 foot injury and Vazquez’s ugly stints in pinstripes, the Yankees aren’t leaving stones unturned as they search for a veteran starter to stash in Triple-A for depth. Wang looked pretty darn good the other night, I’d be cool with giving him a minor league deal if the medicals check out.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Max Fischer says:

Why is this organization showing any interest in Javier Vazquez?! Have we really forgotton his failed past experiences with him?

I don’t care if it’s for Triple-A depth; no thank you!

/2004

• Jd says:

Agree, wang yes, javy, no mas.

• RetroRob says:

Javy would have have been better if his velocity was up as it was his last year with the Marlins.

• MannyGeee says:

We all forget history and only read the headlines…

1) In 2004, Javy threw the living shit out of the ball until his shoulder started to hurt and he hid the injury.

2) in 2010 his velocity was in the tank and he was very hittable at 87 mph. the next season his velocity and stuff was back to fighting shape and he pitched better.

the “Javycan’t play in NY” meme, while fun for trolling and bridge jumping purposes, may not be a true fit here.

AJ Burnett, on the other hand…

• vicki says:

no, no, no.

it may have been an awful coincidence that the only couple years javy couldnt pitch were, so sad,ss the years my team paid him to, but you cannot possibly propose now that the yanks blow even a minor league contract for this chum? ps, if youre hating on aj you and me’s gonna fight.

• A.D. says:

Agreed, one would think that ship has sailed

2. Big Member says:

Another geriatric….

3. Flyer7 says:

Javy out for 2013 so no need to worry though reminds me of the multipe chances given to Sir Sidney Ponson lol

4. Greg says:

Why not bring back Cone or Wells?

5. trr says:

no to both

6. Ponchos Pilot says:

NFW on Javy. Redickulous.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I’d be pretty surprised if Javy would have even wanted to come back to NY after leaving in disgrace after his 2nd stint.

On a minor league deal, I’d take anyone but I think it would have taken guaranteed money and IMO, it would be stupidity by Cashman to expect part 3 to be any different from part 2.

7. Coming To America says:

I’d like to have Wang back, just for old times sake. Unlike Vazquez, he was actually good in pinstripes.

Triple A depth is never a bad thing. Wouldn’t be against having him as the long man, while the loser of Nova-Phelps gets innings in Scranton.

8. Mesa Man says:

I loved Wang when he was here. A cool customer who just can’t seem to get healthy. If a minor league contract, I’d take the guy w the highest possible return. Wang has had a bad stint, but he’s too young to be washed up.

9. Mesa Man says:

Javy Vazquez? While we’re at it, let’s call Kei Igawa, Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright and Randy Johnson.

10. dc1874 says:

My eyes started to bleed when I saw the name Javy Vazquez

11. EndlessJose says:

If Cashman were to bring Javy back or if he went ahead and brought back Carl Pavano two years ago than he should be fired.Cashman has been without a the worst agent to find pitching.

• Mike HC says:

Agreed the Javy and Pavano obsession was/is just getting odd, but overall Cashman has done a pretty good job overall with pitching since 2009.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Perhaps the real problem is you thinking he’s an agent.

12. Mike HC says:

Would love to see Wang back.

13. BigBlueAL says:

Interesting note about Wang’s velocity cause the MLBN broadcast had him between 84-86 mph all game long. Dont recall seeing him thrown a pitch anywhere near 90 mph according to the MPH readings on the broadcast if I remember correctly.

• MartinRanger says:

I think it’s been confirmed that gun is really slow. If the Yankees’ scout had him at 88-92, I believe him over the radar gun in an exhibition stadium.

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

Would love to see a Wang reunion. Am glad the invisible hand of God intervened on behalf of a potential Javy reunion. And some of you actually think you’re atheists. Ha!

15. Larry B. says:

Vasquez? Really? Been there done that, and it was mediocre at best. I’d rather they give a younging a shot…

• JobaWockeeZ says:

He had a good run until injury ruined it. SO on that note let’s please avoid him like the league.

16. Now Batting says:

I’m starting to think Cashman is developing some hubris. I thought his comments about Chamberlain came off as very dickish. Same with his Francesca interview. That and the renewed interest in Vazquez has him coming off as arrogant to me. He could use a George berating.

17. The Doctor says:

Fool us once shame on Javy
    Fool us twice… Shame on the Yankees
    Fool us thrice… What are we even doing?

18. CelerinoSanchez says:

Seems like everybody loves Wang.