Apr

Fan Confidence Poll: April 15th, 2013

Record Last Week: 4-1 (36 RS, 14 RA)
Season Record: 6-5 (60 RS, 47 RA, 7-4 pythag. record), 1.0 game back in AL East
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Diamondbacks (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), @ Blue Jays (three games, Fri. to Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. Eddard says:

Well, I’m at a 9 for the 3rd week in a row. I try not to get too high or too low over the course of the long season. Sometimes I think people forget that the regular season starts in May and doesn’t end until October. Last year we had a 10 game lead in the division and had to hold on by the skin of our teeth.

The reason I’m at a 9 is that this team can tread water for a month and that’s what I’ve been saying. The pitching is strong. We’re getting contributions from the recent additions. And we’re minus the starting SS, CF, 1B, backup SS. Nobody in the division is going to run away and hide so we’ve got as good a shot as any.

2. mitch says:

Still hard to judge how the 189 plan will impact 2014, but I do feel a little better about this season. Outside of some games with Tor/TB, the schedule through may is pretty weak. As long as they can start getting some decent starts out of Nova/Hughes I think they’ll stay in the hunt until the others get healthy.

3. Craig Maduro says:

Staying at 7. 6-5 is nothing out of the ordinary to sway my opinion from my preseason grade.

Can someone explain the hirok meme? Did a commenter accidentally leave off the last letter during a rant and now it’s a running joke? I don’t get it.

4. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Up to a 7 from my last few weeks at 6. Based entirely on this year. The more I see them play the more I believe they’re going to be right in the mix come crunch time. Still very concerned about 2014-onward though, and since that is part of the rating I’m not comfortable going higher than right now.

5. Jack Cross says:

10s &9s?? What team are you guys watching? I voted 6.

Old man/steroid cheat Petite is having back spasms, Hughes, Joba and Nova are, like all Yankee pitchers they develop regressing.

• jjyank says:

In my opinion, the 9′s and 10′s aren’t any more unrealistic than the 1′s and 2′s.

• The Real Me says:

Depending on what timeframe you’re looking at, 10′s and 9′s might be very valid. If you believe the Yankees will adjust to the $189M salary threshold and still maintain a playoff-caliber club for years to come (with some WS victories thrown in), then a 10 or a 9 is much more valid than a 1 or a 2. Expecting the Yankees to be in the cellar, one of the 3 worst teams in the majors is much less likely in my opnion.

BTW, I did not vote a 9 or a 10.

• jjyank says:

I don’t disagree with you. Personally, I believe a 9 or a 10 is more realistic than a 1 or a 2, but I’m an optimist, so I was just trying to be fair. I was just trying to illustrate that if the original poster has a problem with a 9 or a 10, and voted a 6 himself, how is there no issue with the other side of the spectrum?

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Disgruntled Birds fan?

• Eddard says:

Back spasms aren’t broken bones. Andy will miss a start or two which we figured he would over the course of the season. We set a standard of .500 for this team until the regulars returned and that’s what they’ve done. People thought this offense would be awful and it’s right on par with last year’s in terms of runs scored. Nova’s only had one start, Hughes two. As I said above, the regular season lasts until October.

• Jack Cross says:

Back spasms aren’t broken bones – no they are not, but Andy is having problems after 15 innings pitched.

• mitch says:

Nobody expected Andy to pitch 200 innings this year. A cautionary missed start every now and then might not be the worst thing for him, and might keep his arm stronger late in the season.

6. trr says:

So far the “short term fixes ” are working out!
    Hoping for more positive news from the fram system

7. Bavarian Yankee says:

still a 6.

The non Hughes/Nova/middle relief pitching seems to be pretty solid now and the middle of the order batting is way better than expected so far. Staying above .500 shouldn’t be too hard if they keep playing at this level until some of the injured guys return.

8. Michael says:

Been bouncing back and forth between 6 and 7 for the past few months. Very encouraged to see the current squad stay competitive and actually take 2 out of 3 from Baltimore. The team is right in the middle of things and they haven’t even played to their potential yet. I’m optimistic.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

“The team is right in the middle of things and they haven’t even played to their potential yet. I’m optimistic.” I’ll buy that!

9. sjferrari says:

I went with an 8, because I honestly believed the Yanks would have a worse record to start the year. If they can stay in the race and not fall too far behind before Teix, Grandy and Jeter get back, I see no reason why we can’t make the playoffs.

10. Jim Is Bored says:

I want to vote a 6.5, but since I’m generally an optimist I’ll round up to 7.

Encouraged by the lineup if they can stay healthy, which is obviously a big if.

11. LarryM Fl says:

7. Up from last week, the team is playing pretty good. If Hughes and Nova could get their A$$es in gear. We might have a club which could play .500+ ball.

Positive injury recovery news would be nice from a front office aspect but I ‘m troubled by the type of injuries especially Jeter and Teix. Funny I don’t even consider Arod as a factor one way or the other. The team seems OK without him but we all know a healthy Arod makes this club much better.

• Laz says:

Arod could be a nice factor later on in the year. Just because is very likely Hafner or Youk goes down later in the year. Hughes was awful last April too, so just hoping for a repeat.

12. JLC 776 says:

Up to a 5 for me. The short-term prospects of the team are looking better that I thought so far; my general pessimism is still with the lack of a coherent long-term plan – this might change come draft time.

• Larry B. says:

I have 6 but I agree that I don’t really know what the plan for the future is so it is hard for me to give a long term score higher than a 6. I simply give a 6 because I like the talent on the farm and I am hopeful we’ll get something out of Pineda.

13. Larry B. says:

It’s great to see Pineda is progressing.

14. Grant says:

This year is going to be rough. Offense is going to struggle all year against good pitching. So if we do make the playoffs (doubtful) good luck. The pitching is a mess. Andy is not going to hold up. Hughes and Nova are terrible, and the bullpen can’t get the job done outside of Robertson and Rivera. Jeter will never be the same, Tex and Arod are both going downhill fast. Maybe Grandy will be able to help.
    Next year will be rough trying to fill all these holes. There won’t be enough quality cost-controlled options to replace everyone leaving.
    I am excited about seeing some of the guys come up, but it won’t be but two years until most of them will be ready.
    I still love watching the Yankees, but I just don’t feel good about the next two years right now.

• Matt says:

Isn’t every offense going to struggle against good pitching?

• Grant says:

I meant we will disproportionately struggle against better pitchers this year. Our guys are replacement level in so many positions.
        I didn’t mean to sound like Captain Obvious there.

15. Vern Sneaker says:

Still at 5 and probably won’t change until Tex, Grandy, and Jeter are back and show where they’re at for a while. This could be June 1 or so to have some experience with it. We’re just a game over .500, injury history of Youkilis and Hafner and regression to the mean issues are still out there for both (they’re not .300 hiters and either is Cervelli and probably not Wells), and pitching is somewhat iffy at this point. Nothing much of immediate help available in the system. A least we’re hanging in there so far.

16. MannyGeee says:

I remain consistent with the baseline 7, as I am not sold on a couple of blowouts against an overrated Indians team and Manny “A Rod jr.” Machado’s porous defense at 3rd last night. I would really like to see them do it against a Texas or Anaheim (shit, even TB or Toronto) before I call it legit.

That said, they are doing as good as I could have hoped, and better than most expected.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

I’m honestly close to not worried at all about Toronto. They’re saying Reyes is already out till the ASB and their supposedly fantastic pitching hasn’t been living up to its billing. Granted, the season is still in it’s infancy but I would be less shocked to see Toronto at the bottom of the East come playoff time than the Yanks at the top.

But agreed, lets see some wins against Texas and the Angels before we get too excited.

• MannyGeee says:

Yeah, I do not disagree per se, I have been on my soapbox about the Blue Jays not being the juggernaut we’re being sold on. All I’m saying is give prove it against better teams than Tito’s Tribe.

Yes, I just made up Tito’s Tribe.

Yes, I feel dirty for doing it.

17. Count Zero says:

Still at a 6 — a few positive games won’t change my long term outlook any more than a few negative ones.

(1) I’ll believe Jeter can still play a passable SS when I see it.
    (2) There’s a significant chance Tex won’t be 100% when he returns — or at any point this season.
    (3) We may not get A-Rod back at all if MLB has its way.
    (4) No one is emerging as a viable #4 or #5 so far.
    (5) Middle relief has looked awful.

I believe they will stay in the hunt all year for a playoff spot, but there are a lot of problems and I don’t see any easy fixes in sight right now.

• Larry B. says:

1) valid concer
      2) ditto
      3) I’d prefer for him to not come back
      4) Kuroda, Pettite, and CC are set as top 3 so unless you think Hughes is going to remain completely in tank rest of season, taking into account his career up to now there is no reason to believe he won’t be good enough for #4 or #5 spot. Personally I have no issue giving Phelps or Nova remaining spot. Phelps has been better than Nova for a stretch now but it’s still early in this season.
      5)It’s still early. They are thinner there compared to last season no doubt but I don’t want to call this a weakness just yet…

18. Larry B. says:

I think some of you are answering specifically about this season when the question is more so about the long term future of the team. I would say for this season it’s a 7. 7 because every team in the AL east has issues, there is no clear stand out team this season. I think the yankees will have enough to be competitive and perhaps even win the division.

Future 6.

19. Robinson Tilapia says:

Back up to baseline 7, and will stay there the closer we get to the regulars returning and as long as the placeholders keep the team near the top of the division. Pleasantly surprised thus far. Still plenty of time to be wrong, or right, on that.

20. CS Yankee says:

Still climbing upwards, to a 7.

If they keep this up, maybe we can back towards the typical 9 but that would require the following;
    1) Jeet moving like a fit 35 year old instead of a wounded warrior.
    2) Teix being about to swing at full force and avoid a season ending surgery.
    3) Arod…no just forget that noise.
    4) The arms in the farm developing in a healthy, result full way.
    5) Grandy mashing and Wells playing above league average resulting in taking away AB’s away from the corpse of Ichiro.