Record Last Week: 5-2 (24 RS, 24 RA)
Season Record: 15-9 (112 RS, 97 RA, 14-10 pythag. record), 2.5 games back in AL East
Opponents This Week: vs. Astros (three games, Mon. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF, vs. Athletics (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week opened with three games against the Rays in Tampa, and the Yankees dropped the opener because they couldn’t hit Matt Moore. Ichiro Suzuki got the big hit in Tuesday’s win, but they couldn’t do anything offensively in the series finale loss.
- The division rival Blue Jays then came to the Bronx for a four-game weekend set. Robinson Cano gave the Yankees a win with a go-ahead homer in the series opener, then they came back for another win on Friday. Travis Hafner carried the Yankees to their third straight win on Saturday before Lyle Overbay helped the team complete the rare four-game series sweep yesterday.
- Injury News: Frankie Cervelli (hand) will miss at least six weeks after suffering a fracture on a foul tip. Michael Pineda (shoulder) pitched in a simulated game and reportedly hit the low-90s. Ivan Nova (triceps) was placed on the 15-day DL with inflammation. Curtis Granderson (forearm) has started taking full swings. Mark Teixeira (wrist) is still limited to dry swings. Kevin Youkilis (back) returned to the lineup for one game but has since been sidelined with more stiffness. He will go for an MRI today. Triple-A outfielder Thomas Neal (hamstring) was placed on the DL. Minor league righty Nick Goody (elbow) had Tommy John surgery.
- Left-hander Vidal Nuno was called up from Triple-A to replace Nova while Austin Romine took Cervelli’s spot. Derek Jeter was placed on the 60-day DL to clear a 40-man roster spot for Nuno.
- There were further indications the Yankees may scrap the plan to get under the $189M luxury tax threshold in 2014 and beyond. The team did not offer Jose Valverde a contract this offseason.
- MLB is reportedly investigating Cano for some loose connections to Biogenesis. Top outfield prospect Mason Williams was arrested on a misdemeanor DUI charge.
- Eduardo Nunez is expected to fall just short of the Super Two cutoff after the season.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)