Apr

Game 18: Home Away From Home

(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)

(AP Photo/Chris O’Meara)

The Yankees just played three games on turf in Toronto, now they’ll play three more in Tampa. They’re in their home away from home, a place with a huge faction of Yankees fans thanks to transplants and the club’s ties to the Tampa area. It’s not quite like a home game — some games at Camden Yards in recent years really felt like they were being playing the Bronx, no? — but it’s damn close. Here’s the lineup that will face left-hander Matt Moore…

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. DH Ben Francisco
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. 1B Kevin Youkilis LF Vernon Wells
  5. LF Vernon Wells C Frankie Cervelli
  6. C Frankie Cervelli RF Brennan Boesch
  7. RF Brennan Boesch SS Eduardo Nunez
  8. SS Eduardo Nunez 1B Lyle Overbay
  9. 3B Jayson Nix

And on the mound is the man with the fourth highest bWAR in MLB history among left-handed pitchers through their age-32 season, CC Sabathia. Here’s the link if you don’t believe me.

Tonight’s game is scheduled to start a little after 7pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and ESPN nationally. The weather in St. Petersburg is gorgeous, but oh wait, they’re playing in a dome. For shame. Enjoy the game.

Curtis Granderson Update: Granderson hit off a tee and soft toss today for the first time since suffering his fractured forearm. He continues to play catch as well, though there is no firm timetable for his return. Granderson said he thinks he’ll need 50-75 at-bats before he can rejoin the team — he missed all of Spring Training, remember — but the good news is he should be able to take advantage of the informal nature of Extended Spring Training and get like, ten at-bats a day.

Late Kevin Youkilis Update: Youkilis was a last-minute scratch because his stiff back starting acting again during batting practice.

Categories : Game Threads

1. BigBlueAL says:

Youk is scratched from the lineup, Overbay starting instead. Back acted up again after batting practice according to the beat writers on Twitter.

2. Winter says:

Why does Francisco keep batting second. I’d literally rather see any other hitter in the lineup in that spot.

3. Havok9120 says:

So I’ve decided that the reason we lost in such ignominious fashion yesterday was the lack of a reference to Prussia in the Game Thread.

I take full responsibility for this terrible oversight and shall endeavor to never let it happen again.

FOR PRUSSIA!!

4. Eddard says:

At least Boesch gets a shot. Now if he gets another 2 hits tonight I don’t want to see Ichiro back in RF tomorrow. Give Boesch a shot to get it going. And if Youk were healthy I’d put him in that 2 hole to break up the lefties and give Gardner a patient hitter behind him. Then Robbie can focus on hitting and not what Gardy is doing.

5. LK says:

Craziest part of that LHP list is how low Randy Johnson is.

• Chip says:

Randy Johnson didn’t really turn into a world-beater until he went to Arizona and figured out how to not walk people

• jjyank says:

True, wasn’t he like 29 or so when he figured it all out?

• LK says:

Age 29 was the first season he had more than 3 bWAR. The quintessential late bloomer.

• jjyank says:

Yup. Those tall lanky guys can be like that. Explains why he’s lower down on that WAR list, though. I’m sure he’d jump several spots if he put it all together at age 25.

• LK says:

Well he ended up pretty high on the career list, which is all that really matters at the end of the day. Definitely one of the most unique career paths of any player

• jjyank says:

Yeah, and him placing that high despite his late-blooming just serves to illustrate how good he was when he did figure things out.

• LK says:

Totally.

Consider: At his current age, CC is 25.2 WAR ahead of where Johnson was at the same age. CC still needs 49.4 (!!!) WAR to get to where Johnson ended up.

6. vicki says:

think the dodgers would be able to lure maddon and friedman away after this season? i heard some talk in LA.

7. Chip says:

This may be the worst non-September lineup I’ve seen them roll out in 10 years

• Chip says:

Seriously

Gardner – Solid leadoff, speed, on base guy with outstanding defense
      Francisco – Minor league contract
      Cano – He’s Cano, all around greatness
      Wells – Teams have been giving him away for 4 years now
      Cervelli – Backup catcher who couldn’t beat out Stewart last season
      Boesch – Cut in spring training
      Nunez – Axisa’s favorite prospect whipping boy who honestly has never been anything special
      Overbay – Cut by the Red Sox despite the terrible offense they have
      Nix – Probably shouldn’t even be the 25th man on a good team

• jjyank says:

It does look weird after what we’re used to, for sure. My only minor nitpick is Nix. He was the 25th man on a team that won 95 games, won the division, and made it to the ALCS last year. He’s fine for the UTIL spot, I just think he’s getting exposed now that he’s starting so often.

• Vern Sneaker says:

Agree. Very strange-looking lineup. But u gotta believe, right?

8. mt says:

Even though Youkilis has been pretty bad against lefties so far this year I still really wanted him in lineup given his history against lefties – this is where small ball offensively could help us (which has not really gotten going).

I want to win one of these Moore/Price games. Then hopefully eke out a victory against Cobb who tends to do well against us. I don’t want to face a sweep Wednesday.

• Chip says:

We always have a chance with Cano in the lineup and CC on the mound. That being said, I share your concerns

• jjyank says:

Agreed. Moore is a really talented young pitcher, but don’t discount CC. The Yankees have a better lineup than the Rays, and CC is just as capable of shutting the Rays down.

9. brian says:

Serious question… ill post here since the other thread is done…

Do any of you actually NOT think Cano has been using PEDs all this time???

Don’t respond by talking witch hunt or innocent til proven guilty or u dont care or whatever… do you think he used them???

10. SeventhAce says:

I’m going to say this again, I hate astro turf fields.

11. Troll says:

If it weren’t for Mike Napoli, I don’t think the Red Sox would’ve won a single game yet . . .

12. Karl Krawfid says:

Nice at bat.

Fastball looks straight. May be this shitty camera angle though.

13. The Real Greg says:

I am in full negative mode tonight. I have a major beef with television right now about the portrayal of men amongst other things. So it would not surprise me to see both the Yankees and Nets lose tonight.

14. Josh says:

Anyone else watching game ESPN think this is a horrible camera angle?

15. Dalek Jeter says:

I’m worried about Youk’s back if he can’t even DH.

16. OldYanksFan says:

True or False:
    This is our ugliest lineup in a decade.

17. OldYanksFan says:

CC is going to need to pitch a CGSO in order for us to win this game.
    (Or an 8 IP SO with Mo Closing it out).

18. Get Phelps Up says:

Even for the Rays that is a dreadful crowd.

19. heismanziel says:

It’s really good to see Boesh back in the lineup tonight. I really wish Joe would play him more often. Brennan is obviously playing in the outfield tonight, but even with ichiro out there, Boesch should be the DH over francisco.

20. teddy says:

cashman must get a guy who can hit leftys like tommorrow. cano not hitting them anymore either

21. Cy Pettitte says:

terrible 0-2 pitch

22. The Real Greg says:

Absolutely unforgivable on an 0-2 pitch

23. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Ryan Roberts LOL

24. Dalek Jeter says:

0-2 homer? That’s an ominous start.

25. teddy says:

hr to ryan roberts are you serious

26. Chilango says:

0-2 hanging slider. not good

27. brian says:

Ok, let me ask the question this way…

Every last penny in your bank account must be wagered on whether or not Cano has used PEDs at least somewhat regularly over the years…..

Even 1 to 1 odds… you guess right you double your money, you guess wrong you starve until you get your next paycheck… what would you say…

We all know the answer, you just are tired of hearing about all this PED crap, I am as well… but let’s not be disingenuous

28. DC says:

That homerun train horn has to be one of the most irritating sounds in baseball.

29. OldYanksFan says:

Shit… Ryan Roberts averages 5.1 HR/yr. And CC gives him one?
    If I say game over…. am I an (old) troll?

30. Karl Krawfid says:

Annnd that is why you start ichiro

31. BigBlueAL says:

Pretty frustrating watching Gardner stand on 1st and not bother trying to steal against a pitcher where scoring runs is gonna be tough. Boone (watching on ESPN) predicted the 1-2 breaking ball in the dirt to Francisco and said before the pitch Gardner should think about running now anticipating a breaking ball but nothing.

Gardner was on 1st for I believe 8 pitches before he got out on Cano’s fielder’s choice. Very frustrating watching Gardner’s inability to steal right now.

32. OldYanksFan says:

Does Ichiro catch that?
    OK. Now Game Over.

33. Alkaline says:

Should have IBB Sean R. :D

34. Chip says:

Well, time to put a fork in this one

35. The Real Greg says:

Now you understand why Ichiro is still starting in left field?

36. Dalek Jeter says:

Wow…what the fuck CC?

37. Cy Pettitte says:

well this game’s over.

38. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

lololololololololol so fucking bad.

39. Alkaline says:

Now I’m going to enjoy this comeback much, much more.

40. The Real Greg says:

This game is over.

41. bobtaco says:

OK, everybody can now start the CC velocity worry watch

42. Brendan says:

Over/under on CC making it out of the 1st?

43. matt s says:

Cant believe I saw this on CBS sportsline before here, but Nick Goody had TJS today.

44. Karl Krawfid says:

Hey CC you have Andy and Mo on your team. Learn to throw a cutter.

45. Leg-End says:

Oh boy, CC isn’t sharp and this one is about done.

46. Eddard says:

CC doesn’t have it tonight. He looks awful. He looks like Phil Hughes.

47. Chilango says:

Game set match

48. YankeesJunkie says:

CC Sabathia needs to stop this Phil Hughes impression.

49. OldYanksFan says:

Good fucking God!
    Is Concentration on TV tonight?

50. Anthony says:

What the hell??? Guaranteed even though Moore is the worse pitcher we won’t hit him at all tonight, but of course the Rays are all over the much better CC. I hope I eat my words.

51. mt says:

Of course Escobar gets hot right before we get to Tampa.

Those were some hard-hit shots.

52. MeloJeter says:

CARSTEN…CHARLES…SABATHIA

you get in this house right now

53. OldYanksFan says:

CC turns the Bad News Bears into the ’27 Yanks.
    How much more money do we owe him?

54. Dalek Jeter says:

Okay, let’s say for the sake of speculation, CC figures it out and somehow shuts the Rays down for the next 7 innings and his final line is like 7IP 4ER 8Ks 1BB 6H and we lose, is it on him or the offense?

• Havok9120 says:

Eh. That can be split about evenly. They should be able to score 5 runs. CC also shouldn’t put them down 4 in the first.

• jjyank says:

It’d be both, and perhaps a tip of the hat to Moore as well. I don’t believe in assigning blame to one aspect of a game that 20+ guys are involved in. I suppose you can occasionally (like Luis Castillo dropping that ball to let the Yankees win), but most of the time I think blaming one person is just a coping mechanism for fans.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

Even that loss wasn’t all Casillo’s fault. The fact is they were already in a one run game in the ninth inning.

• jjyank says:

Fair enough. I was just trying to think of an instance that one player fucked up something he shouldn’t have that directly led to a loss. That was the first thing to jump to mind.

99% of the time though, you can’t blame a loss on one person.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I think you could say yesterday’s game falls firmly on the shoulders of Phelps and Nova.

• jjyank says:

Well that’s two people :)

I’m not saying it never happens. If a starter gives up 10 runs and they lose 10-9, then you can pretty safely just blame the starter. I personally like to spread the blame around.

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

Half and half

55. Havok9120 says:

You’ll all be leaving then, I assume. What with the game being over and all.

56. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

Hey guys, the second inning is starting.

I just wasn’t sure if any of you realized.

57. Wheels says:

Buzzkill.

58. Chip says:

Wow, apparently the bandwagon is emptying tonight. CC is still one of the best pitchers in the league. He missed location and they hit him hard. It happens

59. Chilango says:

Regression to the mean. With a little help from Sabbathia.

60. Chilango says:

Way to take a few Cervi.

61. mt says:

Should be interesting how far they go with CC if he continues to struggle – Warren is very well rested but we also have to deal with Phil’s start tomorrow (Matt Joyce is salivating.)

62. brian says:

Geez IDK, actually being REAL about the whole thing…

Cano went from a nothing prospect to a guy who grinds out 160 games a year at a middle infield position and basically at a near MVP type level…

Oh, and his mentor?? Arod.. his best friend??? Melky

Can we stop lying to ourselves?? We all know he did, all we can do is hope no official ‘proof’ comes out so we can keep burying our heads in the sand..

I’d have a lot more respect for the people who just admitted they think he did it but said they didn’t give a crap

• Winter says:

So at this point it’s clear you’re just trolling for attention. I’d recommend that my fellow sane commenters refrain from engaging.

• Troll says:

STFU. He can say whatever he wants. The only troll here, besides me, is you for spewing your trite, bootless, feeble remark.

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

I’d have a lot more respect for the people who wait for even flimsy evidence before staining a man’s name with the PED accusation which is not easily washed off.

• Dalek Jeter says:

“Cano was actually listed as the Yankees #2 prospect entering that 2005 season.” Via Pinstripe Bible.

• Brendan says:

By your logic, everyone you’ve ever known is guilty of rambling idiocy based solely on their association with you.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

lol wut???

See more on Know Your Meme

• TomH says:

This is a pointless exercise.

• jjyank says:

Cano was’t “nothing” as a prospect. We also don’t know if/when A-Rod did steroids as a Yankee and if/when Melky did steroids as a Yankee.

You may think he has done PEDs, but it’s beyond stupid to claim that as a fact, and even further beyond that point to say that “we all know he did”. No, nobody knows jack shit. Your trolling ass included.

• Havok9120 says:

I’ll bite one last time due to boredom. It amuses me that you’re claiming that the fact that he plays a ton of games every year is a sign of ‘roid usage because another “sure sign” has become premature breakdown of a star player’s health.

Also, don’t bother asking for opinions if you aren’t going to believe anyone who says they think you’re wrong. Just bad form. Oh, and don’t use “we” as if you’re a regular commenter here and part of the HiveMind. I’d honestly be surprised were you a Yanks fan at all, but not knowing/caring how the comment tree system works is a pretty good giveaway that you’re a one trick pony and have no regular connection to the site.

Good day, sirrah.

63. Anthony says:

Was that the fastest half-inning of the season so far?

64. heismanziel says:

Yankees have not lost back to back games since april 5th-6th.

65. Alkaline says:

Alright, let’s not have another 4 run inning, CC, mmmkay?

66. Karl Krawfid says:

91!

It’s growing folks!

67. mt says:

ESPN is focusing on CC flexing his left hand back and forth in the dugout as if he has discomfort – not sure what they are saying on Yes, if anyhting at all.

68. Chilango says:

CC is hurt. He can’t look this bad and be healthy

69. Karl Krawfid says:

91! mo heat!

70. Karl Krawfid says:

Brett Gardner vs Sam Fuld in a large head little body contest

71. forensic says:

Well, this game is off to quite a start.

Good thing it’s Boesch in RF instead of Ichiro…

72. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

I don’t think enough people here appreciate how blessed they are to see 15 WB Mason commercials each night.

73. Buhner's barber says:

So is Pineda’s rehab assignment happening right now? I know he needs 30 days, and after that they’ll probably send him down for 2 weeks to set his service time back, does that mean he can he might be up for good in something like a month?

74. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

You know, I just tried to find TSJC’s Twitter page.

It no longer exists.

This makes me sad.

75. mt says:

Not making a lot of good contact against Moore.

Revis interviewed on ESPN (threw out first pitch) – says “no hard feelings” towards Jets – not sure I believe it.

76. trr says:

None too promising tonight…I have familial obligations – when I return Gents and Ladies, I would expect you”ll have
    us in the lead by dint of your awesome telepathic control of Yankees Universe. Or at least one lousy hit….

77. Dalek Jeter says:

Jayson Nix is my least favorite Yankee…I think Ever. I can’t think of a player on a team I root for that I’ve despised as much as him. If he truly was the 25th man and rode the pine, I probably wouldn’t hate him that much…but he played in 74 games last year and 14 out of 18 this year.

78. forensic says:

Come on guys, just get that first hit so we can at least stop thinking about being no-hit.

79. jtb081208 says:

Great job CC. Great team you built Cashman, Francisco (batting 2nd you’re an idiot Girardi), Boesch (who no one wanted), Overbay (who sucks at everything except whiffing), Nix (who should be a waiter at Chilis), and the list could go on and on. Cashman couldn’t build a team properly if his marriage depended on it. $231 million and this team has no depth and no one coming off the bench WITHOUT the injuries. This Cashman built team will do EXACTLY what all Cashman built teams have done (except 2009) in the past 15 years, beat up mediocre teams in the regular season, lose to good teams but win enough to make the playoffs and then get their asses kicked in the playoffs against a REAL team with a REAL GM. And, all season long we will have to hear how great Cashman is from the prejudiced news media and the fans cuz they win regular season games against BUMS. Nothing new, same old song and dance.

Brian Cashman, the GM who does LESS with MORE.

80. TomH says:

Well, we can thank God or Mama Nature that lefties don’t comprise 50% of the population. If they did, this team would be dead in the water.

I don’t have an alternative, but it’s hard to take Francisco anywhere in the lineup, much less at #2.

81. forensic says:

Geez CC. Methinks Adam Warren will be getting his first appearance in 13 days tonight.

82. Leg-End says:

Roberts again!?! You gotta be kidding me.

83. Karl Krawfid says:

Man this is bad.

And he almost killed Wells.

84. Dalek Jeter says:

WELLS!!!!!!!

pleasedontbehurtpleasedontbehurtpleasedontbehurt

85. Chilango says:

Nice grab.

86. Chilango says:

Just don’t think he’d be missing this much unless something wasn’t right. Alternatively, he might just be pitching poorly

87. forensic says:

As if the game wasn’t bad enough. We also have to listen to Lou Piniella for three days and, to a lesser extent, Ken Singleton doing play-by-play…

• Get Phelps Up says:

Singleton’s PBP >>> Kay’s

• forensic says:

Eh, I’m actually a fan of Kay. Singleton isn’t terrible, but it’s just too much of him.

• jjyank says:

I prefer Singleton. He doesn’t offer as much for color in my opinion, and I think he’s less annoying than Kay. Don’t get me wrong, I actually don’t mind Kay. But I do think Singleton is better. My ideal booth is Singleton, Cone, and O’Neil/Leiter.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Kay made my day on the radio today yelling at Knicks fans, I must say. He gets a long reprieve from me.

88. Havok9120 says:

“All brave Prussians follow me!”

-Field Marshall Kurt von Schwerin, his last words before being killed by a cannonball.

89. Dalek Jeter says:

Brock Lesnar scares me.

90. forensic says:

Ben “Designated Lefty Masher” Francisco…

91. Alkaline says:

Bleh. Mozilla won’t update the comments for me.

92. forensic says:

What a gift. Hanging curve/slider right down the middle.

At least they won’t be no-hit.

93. Anthony says:

We have life!

94. Get Phelps Up says:

Be sure to subtract one homer from Robbie’s end of season total because this game was already over.

95. jjyank says:

I will never tire of watching a Cano home run swing.

96. Havok9120 says:

“Rays drew good crowds over the weekend…”

Let’s not get crazy now. They averaged less than 23K per game on a weekend series against a very good team.

97. TomH says:

CC looks down at the mouth. A sad pup tonight.

98. Robinson Tilapia says:

Pretzel-crusted Tofurky kielbasa. Shaved brussel sprout salad. Dogfish 90 Minute IPA.

99. Vern Sneaker says:

Cone very good tonite on CC’s pitching. Even as a Yankees fan/Mets hater, my favorite booth is Cohen/Darling/Hernandez. So much better than even our best combo.

100. forensic says:

Fucking A’s.

First they get swept and wake up the Rays right before the Yankees come to town (which has obviously continued into tonight), and now they don’t show up against the Red Sox either.

101. forensic says:

Play Boesch more!!!

:-)

102. Dalek Jeter says:

Nunie bomb!! calling it!

103. Stratman9652 says:

Even a Cone/Kenny broadcast can be ruined by Lou.

104. TomH says:

The Astros series can’t come fast enough. If Youkilis is missing and Nunez and Ichiro keep looking futile, these next 7 games could be bad news.

• forensic says:

And 4 of the first 6 of those 7 games are against lefty starters.

They’ll then theoretically just see one lefty in each of the Houston and Oakland series. Then it’s three road interleague games where they’ll lose the DH (doesn’t matter vs. lefties but it sucks losing Hafner vs. righties).

105. Robinson Tilapia says:

That is not a beautiful skyline, Lou. That’s barely a skyline.

God, I wish that first inning had never happened.

106. Kramerica Industries says:

As most of you may already know, I live in the Tampa Bay area, and thus am directly in enemy territory, especially at a time like this.

And one argument that I hear all the fucking time, and is one that I alternate between not giving two shits about, and just getting pissed off at the total misinformed nature of it, is the idea of the following (copied directly from FB, name obviously withheld):

If you’re a Yankees fan, live in Florida, and you are not from New York, you are just being a troll

I mean, seriously dude, fuck you. The worst part is that comments like that are guaranteed to get some 30+ likes, because people are fucking sheep; incapable of thinking for themselves. Obviously, perhaps thanks to the nature of this game, I’m leaning on the pissed off side of that comment at this point in time. But, if I ever needed more reason to have zero respect for Rays fans, it’s shit like that. Get a grip, you fucking loons.

107. forensic says:

After that scouting report earlier, shouldn’t Greg be here talking about how Moore was just an 8th round pick?

108. Dalek Jeter says:

Gotta send Gardner here.

109. Vern Sneaker says:

Every time Francisco plays I expect to wake up and read they’ve dumped him. But NOOO. I mean, wtf.

110. forensic says:

Ben Francisco’s presence on this roster just makes me sad.

It’s gonna be a LONG set of 6 games.

111. MannyGeee says:

Whats up bitches… Wifey had to work so I was on kid duty whilst watching the game.

A couple of thoughts:

1) I know its early, but seriously, fuck Ben Francisco. I have an irrational hate for him, for no other reason than his being here.

2) I am gonna say it. Is it possible that with Jeter and Alex gone, Kevin Muthafuckin Youkilis as become the heart of the Yankees? Now excuse me while I pour myself a bleach cocktail.

3) CCs first inning bullshit is getting a little out of control. For real…

4) I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE ESPN Broadcasts. The worst things ever.

112. Dalek Jeter says:

That…was…a really bad swing Vernon.

113. forensic says:

Somebody should tell Wells that Moore throws a changeup. He doesn’t seem to know that…

114. Vern Sneaker says:

Discouraging.

115. MannyGeee says:

OK So Wells blew his load in Toronto this weekend and brought nothing to Tampa I see… That would be the at trick with 4 more innings to go… We may see a Golden Sombrero here tonight, boys. Prepare to see history

116. Chilango says:

Oh Wells, Matt’s already given up his one run so no wonder they didn’t score.

117. forensic says:

You know, at this point I could deal without the hourly updates on all the injured guys. I’d almost prefer getting it once every week or two and have it seem like they’re taking big steps that way rather than these little almost no-progress, progress reports.

118. MannyGeee says:

Wow… Get it together CC.

119. Chilango says:

CC missed his spot again.

120. forensic says:

Way to half-ass it CC. I was almost ignoring your terrible pitching in this game, but that is just inexcusable. Now I’m pissed about the whole pitiful game.

121. MannyGeee says:

Oh fuck that stadium. It needs to get burnt down.

122. Kramerica Industries says:

The Trop is such a fucking joke.

I can remember a game three years ago where the Rays benefited on something just like that. Ridiculous.

123. MannyGeee says:

With the way the night has gone, did anyone else get nervous with CC fielding the grounder

124. MannyGeee says:

In other news, Mike Napoli has 25 RBIs this season already. WOW. He’s loving that Green Monster, huh…

125. CP says:

So Gardner doesn’t slide into first on one of the few plays where it would actually help.

126. Dalek Jeter says:

C’mon, give us Krazy Kyle, PLEASE!

127. MannyGeee says:

Francisco gets more “hard outs’ than i’ve ever seen anyone get in my life

128. Robinson Tilapia says:

This is the quietest shit game thread I’ve seen a while. Do I just send the flat Bud Light girls home at this point?

129. Now Batting says:

“Matt Harvey is the best pitcher in baseball.”

Who the hell said that? Sutcliffe?

130. Mikey Scheister says:

This home away from has termites.

131. Robinson Tilapia says:

Was it Smoltz or Glavine who always had first inning problems? That must have gotten old quick.

I wish we could just return the first inning.

132. BigBlueAL says:

I would hope/assume if Mustelier was healthy he would be on the team right now instead of Francisco??

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not necessarily.

• Havok9120 says:

No way to know that. It’s not as if the team has any motive to tell the press: yeaaahhh, we weren’t gonna give Ben the time of day, but then this no-name semi-prospect got hurt and, well, here he is.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t think it’s a bad idea, though. That would be the one spot I think he’d fit in right now.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, I agree completely. I’m just saying that there’s no good way for the team to tell us that until he’s actually available to play.

133. Dalek Jeter says:

WARREN TO TEH ROTATION!!! HE HAZ SUCCESFUL INNINGZ!!!!!!

134. MannyGeee says:

So Ma & Pa spent 6 solid minutes tday on the radio trying to convince me that Boesch is a really good fielder & a great baserunner and that he will be a star in 2014. is it time for them to retire?

135. Now Batting says:

500 Rays fans get to go home happy tonight.

136. MannyGeee says:

bum out

137. Chilango says:

Result more or less expected. This lineup wasn’t going to do much against Moore anyway. Hope CC is OK.

138. your mom says:

Missed the game, but it’s a good thing. Looks like Moore did good job against our AAA line-up. How pathetic is Ben Francisco.

139. Cervelli is the Man says:

Man, if our pitching could just hold it together. Didn’t expect this from Sabathia.

140. Winter says:

Meh. You really never know.

Unless it’s Nova. Then you know.

141. forensic says:

Pretty quick recap tonight for Mike.

“CC shit the bed in the first inning and a lefty started for Tampa. You can figure out the rest.”

142. Deathstroke Heathcott says:

Whew, without those Cano roids, we might’ve been outhit.