Apr

Game Five: Hughes Returns

(Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

(Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

In what can be considered both an act of desperation and necessity, Phil Hughes has been activated off the DL and will start this afternoon against the Tigers. He was originally supposed to make one final tune-up start with Triple-A Scranton today before rejoining the rotation next week, but an overworked bullpen — 13 innings in the last three games despite Andy Pettitte‘s eight-inning start on Thursday — necessitated the addition of an extra arm. David Phelps shifts into a long-man role.

Hughes made zero Grapefruit League starts due to his bulging disk, though he did made a handful of minor league starts late in camp. By keeping him out of regular Spring Training games, the team was able to backdate his DL stint, which is why he can be activated off the 15-day DL six days into the season. These Major League rehab starts, so to speak, always make me nervous because who knows how ready the pitcher actually is. We haven’t seen Phil on a mound since Game Three of the ALCS against these same Tigers, so we’re sorta going in blind. Here’s the lineup…

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. 2B Robinson Cano
  3. 3B Kevin Youkilis
  4. DH Travis Hafner
  5. LF Vernon Wells
  6. RF Brennan Boesch
  7. C Frankie Cervelli
  8. 1B Lyle Overbay
  9. SS Jayson Nix

And on the mound is the impending free agent, St. Philip of Hughes.

This afternoon’s game is scheduled to start at 4:05pm ET and can be seen on FOX. Try to enjoy.

Roster Move: Cody Eppley was optioned to Triple-A Scranton to make room for Hughes. I figured they would send Shawn Kelley down considering he threw 43 pitches yesterday and will probably be unavailable until Sunday at the earliest, but I guess not.

Eduardo Nunez Update: Nunez is still in “a lot” pain after taking a pitch to the right biceps yesterday, but he does feel much better. He’ll try to hit in the cage today and if that goes well, he might be available to pinch-hit and pinch-run.

Derek Jeter Update: The Cap’n took about 40 ground balls hit directly at him on the field in Tampa today. He also hit off a tee and played catch, his first time doing any real baseball activity since having his setback about two weeks ago.

Categories : Game Threads

1. LK says:

Interesting to me that they’d bench Ichiro against a RHP this early in the season.

• trr says:

Only a 4 game sample, but he’s been awful so far…
      he gave us a good couple of months last year, but I think the end is near. Lucky us to get to watch it for the next 2 years

• Preston says:

As bad as Ichiro has been, Wells has been a pleasant surprise so far. Hopefully one can be a useful starter, and one can be a useful 4th OFer next year.

• LK says:

At the very least those 2 should be a fine platoon once Grandy comes back. My worry is that the Yanks are looking at them as 2/3 of the 2014 OF.

• DInnings says:

What a stupid play by the thirdbase coach. Hello? Shallow or medium-shallow flyball, Torii Hunter, gun arm. Boesch was out by a mile.

No way Ichiro will be a fourth outfielder without him demanding a trade because it greatly slows down his chase for 3000 hits. Do you see him getting enough playing time 2015 on if he even gets a contract to collect the hits he needs for 3000? I don’t. Re-signing Ichiro was sheer stupidity and profit-driven. Let’s bring back Ichiro for the Japanese audience.

• trr says:

He seems to be hacking at everthing, rarely walking.
            Hate to say it, but he seems to want to swing at everything in an attempt to get to 3,000 hits.
            Ichiro first, Team second…

• LK says:

It’s actually more like a 2 year sample where he’s been awful. I’m not complaining about it at all, I’ve been a pretty vocal anti-Ichiro guy. I just find it intriguing that they’re benching him in a game where he has the platoon advantage 4 games into a 2 year contract.

• Preston says:

He’s old and needs days off. For his career he has a reverse platoon split, although his split was noticeable last year. It might just be SSS. Anyways, Wells has earned the right to play everyday so far and Boesch is also a lefty who got a hit yesterday and is playing his old team, so give him a chance and see if you can get a boost out of his desire for revenge.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. The Ichiro deal is the one thing that really bugged me about the moves made this winter, and I thought the team has made it pretty clear they view Ichiro as a full-time player. Also, not complaining. I hope this is a signal that Girardi will be flexible with playing time if Ichiro isn’t performing.

2. Cuso says:

He had a good April start in Comerica last year if memory serves.

3. Crespo says:

Yes!!No Ichiro finally!

4. Govin says:

Im glad in a scared type of way that Hughes is pitching today. If that makes any sense, which I doubt it does.

5. Eddard says:

With no Nuney and the Tigers holding the pitching advantages the next two games we’ll likely get swept. Coming out with one win in this series would be a miracle.

6. Mickey Scheister says:

I’d be a pissed Asian if I went to nasty ass Detroit and my Asian superstar wasn’t playing.

7. Vern Sneaker says:

Brennan Boesch! What a thrill!
    Oh, well,, here’s hoping . . .

8. McLovin says:

Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, 18 years of leaving people death.

9. Dalek Jeter says:

Adios Eppley. Anytime again is too soon.

10. Spectra says:

What is the deal with the Fox blackout of mlb.tv. I’m out of market on the west coast so I bought mlb.tv for YES but now fox is showing the Giants game. Sucks.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, you’re closer to the Giants so Fox will show that game for you, but you’re still blacked out because of Fox. It sucks, but that’s the way it is.

• forensic says:

Get used to it. The only FOX games you should expect to get are Yankees-Red Sox. They typically block everything else out for us in favor of Giants, Angels, Dodgers, etc. games.

• jjyank says:

I don’t get why they do that. If the cable company is able to determine what market you’re in to show you a particular game, you’d think mlb.tv would know the same thing and let you watch Fox games that are out of your market.

11. jjyank says:

Hey Plouffers, you bummed we didn’t make that trade yesterday? Werth went 3-5 with a homer today :P

12. Mickey Scheister says:

Nuno will be in the majors by ____________ .

I say by June 1st as the Phelps role when David replaces Nova’s brutally ineffective self

• Preston says:

Probably never, since he’s not any good. He’s an old, soft tossing lefty, who’s going to get exposed by AAA hitting. We have much better options for relief roles like Warren, Marshall, Montgomery etc.

• MannyGeee says:

September call up… Burning some junk innings in the last month.

13. Short Porch says:

Is Hughes in the Yanks’ long term plans so that he’s worth having when Mason Williams, Tyler Austin, Gary Snyder, and Slade Heathcotte come of age (though low level prospects guarantee nothing). Otherwise, retool. Will the Yanks ever have another core four? Maybe we do need another Mel Hall Era. I’m 54. I lived through the Horace Clarke era. I figure I got one good run left in me. So I say it’s been a great run — 1994 – 2012 — but now strip this to the studs and rebuild.

Problem is, the last two Yankee dynasties required that all Steinbrenners were FAR away from any personnel decisions. You or I would have won more pennants and World Series, given the advantages this franchise had.

I’m getting old, I have been here before, but don’t let some uber privileged ‘bosses’ waste my time. Money doesn’t make you smarter. I have seen it all, and Gabe Paul and Gene Michael were the real dynasty builders. Cashman can be overridden, as we have seen. Love the guy, but what do you do when your bosses are tag team born on third base idiots?

Life’s short. This is painful bang your head against the wall painful to watch and utterly avoidable. Even before the PED revelations, the A-Rod contract was to any passive observer – sadly including Cashman — a massive miscalculation.

14. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Fly Ball Pitcher + big OF = Brennan Boesch????

15. Dalek Jeter says:

Jayson Nix: PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL PLAYER!!

• mac says:

In fairness, that was a tough play to make…for me, since I’m sitting on my ass 700 miles away from Tiger Stadium.

Anyway, Nixie makes up for his glove with his stick.

16. jjyank says:

…really Nix? I could have fielded that cleanly.

17. Preston says:

Nix is in there for his defense…

18. SeventhAce says:

When you’re pretty much a no bat, utility infield kinda guy… you can’t afford to FUCKING BOTCH THAT SHIT.

19. Mykey says:

Thanks for the help Nix.

20. forensic says:

Did that really go right through his legs like the radio announcers said???

21. Athenian says:

Hughes first start of the season. No offensive support, but he keeps it close…tigers 5-3, unfortunately.

22. Darren says:

Cojno, I thought that was gone

23. Chilango says:

Nova and Hughes, true to form. Wish they’d figure it out.

24. MrPappageorgio says:

Did Cano dive over that?

25. Dalek Jeter says:

“He’s ahead on the count, 0-2.” I don’t think I heard that about Nova once yesterday.

26. MrPappageorgio says:

Lots of 3 ball cconts

27. forensic says:

Thank you Jim Leyland for putting Andy Dirks in front of Jhonny Peralta and his nearly .500 BA and 1.200 OPS against Hughes. Sure is a gift…

28. Eddard says:

Nuney makes that play in his sleep. We’re already seeing the ill effects of his injury. And Nix won’t make it up with the bat either.

29. forensic says:

Atta boy Wells!

30. jjyank says:

Wow. Fucking Vernon Wells, eh?

31. Dalek Jeter says:

THE BRONX IS VERNON?!

32. SeventhAce says:

WELLS!!!!
    WOW, none of us would have thought it was possible.

33. MannyGeee says:

Vernon.

Mother

Fucking

Wells

34. Chilango says:

Wells is partyin like its 2006

35. jjyank says:

Wow. Fucking Brennan Boesch, eh?

Heh.

36. JonS says:

Wells is going to make people look stupid.

37. Dalek Jeter says:

HAHAHA followed by a Boeschish triple!

38. McLovin says:

Damn the wind :(

39. Joe says:

I think the time has come to blow this team up. Trade nova , joba, Hughes, granderson , and try to get a haul for cano. Take it on the chin in 2014 , then go large in free agency for 2015. A mix of the kid prospects plus proven ml talent via free agency is the remedy for success.

• DInnings says:

Yes, if the Yanks are under .500 or barely over it by July 1.

They need to get something a little surer than draft picks.

If Hughes has a 2013 like last year or 2010 or better he’s gone because no way they lock him up for bare minimum five years and $50M he will get since 33-34 year old Jeremy Guthrie got three years and $25M from the Royals of all teams.

If Granderson has a 2013 like his 2011 or 2012 in shortened form i.e. he’d be on pace to have a 2011 or 2012 like season, he’s gone. He will want and most likely get bare minimum three years at $15M a year (his 2013 salary) for $45M total.

If Cano is hitting .285-.300 with 10-12 HR and 40-45 RBI by July 1, it’s a safe bet he will have a nice but not $200M player worthy 2013, and he will be gone cuz he’s not taking less than six years and $150M.

If Chamberlain is positng an ERA under 2 or certainly 1, he’s gone because no way the Yanks lock him up for three or four on just that from his past history.

If Nova keeps stinking, I’d trade him as well.

• Crespo says:

No, I’m sorry you don’t trade one of the top 5 players in the game unless you’re the Marlins. Any plan that favors trading Robbie mid-season rather than re-signing him is just reckless.

• Preston says:

How many let’s blow the team up comments per game thread are we going to get? Just enjoy baseball. It’s the 5th freaking game of the year.

40. SeventhAce says:

LIKE A BOESCH!!!!

A triple, good enough!

41. Athenian says:

The Bronx is Verin’? What the fuck? A dead Vin Scully would sound better than these tools.

42. Preston says:

Vernon Wells hitting a home run against a really good RHP and Brennan Boesch getting a triple. I don’t know which one seemed less likey at the start of the season.

43. Eddard says:

What a great pick up by Cashman. Vernon Wells is on a mission to prove everyone wrong. Now just put the ball in play and get that runner on 3rd home.

44. Mykey says:

Any one know the Sterling Vernon Wells call?

45. Dalek Jeter says:

Damnit Robbie Thompson! WHY?!?!

46. Wheels says:

Why did they send him??

47. SeventhAce says:

I don’t think that was deep enough for a sac fly.

48. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Did that really just happen?

49. JonS says:

Haha he fucked up Avila though.

50. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Bad, bad decision on the first out.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. If there was 1 out and the sacrifice was not longer in play, I might go for it. With no outs? Hell no. That ball was hit too shallow.

51. forensic says:

That’s terrible. You can’t get him thrown out with only one out. They don’t have the kind of leeway to make horrible baserunning decisions like that.

52. Eddard says:

Way to run with 0 outs. Awful awful decision.

53. McLovin says:

Welp that sucks

54. Chilango says:

What is Boesch running for? too shallow, no outs. WTF. Terrible.

55. MrPappageorgio says:

Wells rings the bells

56. JonS says:

Buck and McCarver just went on and on about why it was good to send the runner.

57. jjyank says:

I know, I know, fallacy and all of that. But shit, that should have been an RBI.

58. Dalek Jeter says:

We’d be up 1 run if it wasn’t for that send. I’m guessing that’s on Thompson and not Boesch?

• MannyGeee says:

FALLACY!

Min fairness, maybe you pitch to LoverBay different if you still have Boesch on 3rd? Conceivable at least?

• Preston says:

Even if you pitched differently, he might have been able to drive the run in. That ball was pretty shallow, Hunter has a solid arm, and Boesch is not fast.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Maybe, but Odds are they probably play the infield back because it’s so early in the game, and odds also are that Loverbay (love the nickname btw) at least makes contact. If there was one out I understand the move, but with no outs that’s a silly send.

• MannyGeee says:

Agreed, but I would bet my mortgage payment that LoverBay doesn’t hit that ball that far again. Like, all season…

59. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Fallacy, but fuck that was a horrible send.

60. MannyGeee says:

Bad move sending Boesch, but I think having Lover-Bay on deck assumed you wouldn’t get the opportunity to move ther runner with 1 out.

And as I say that, Lover Bay hits one off the wall. Well, shit

61. forensic says:

I’m sure Nix will make up for his ineptitude in the field here.

It’s not like he’s 0-9 with 7 K’s against Scherzer…

62. MrPappageorgio says:

Nix sucks.

63. Dalek Jeter says:

At least we earn our runs, Tigers.

64. Pat D says:

Jeez, are the karma police out for all of us today? Wells HR, Boesch triple, gets thrown out and then Overbay doubles? Sounds like someone is out to get us.

65. SeventhAce says:

With the way Nix is, he might as well be holding a soggy 6 feet Italian sub in his hands at the plate…

66. forensic says:

Only the Yankees could get a Homerun, a triple, and a double in one inning and still only get one run out of it…

67. MannyGeee says:

I like seeing them hitting Scherzer this hard. Provides some faith for the faithless.

Also, obligatory “Hughes is struggling with 2 strike counts in mid season form” joke.

68. Bartolo's Colon says:

Thompson is horrible as usual. Amazing that the yanks managed to double, triple, and homer in one inning and only score one run

69. Wheels says:

The score should be 2-0, Yanks.

70. jjyank says:

Anyone else thing Budweiser needs to change their catch phrase? “Grab some buds”? Maybe I’m just not far enough out of college, but I never think “beer” when I hear that.

• Pat D says:

Budweiser just needs to stop being shitty. But we all know that will never happen.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I get what you mean, the ‘s’ just feels like it doesn’t fit.

• jjyank says:

3 years ago, if someone said that to me I would reach for a bowl, not a beer.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Absolutely. Hell if somebody said it to me today I’d do the same, hooray for not being a secret agent ahm…State Department employee!

• jjyank says:

It’ll be legalized some day. I hope.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Absolutely. 10 years, maybe 20. It’s already legal in two states, and I’m pretty sure it’s going up on ballots for the midterms in a few others. I mean it’s only a matter of time until the Fed’s catch up.

• jjyank says:

Since I have no contacts left, obviously (it’s been almost 3 years since I quit), you may get a facebook message from me in 10 years :P

• Pat D says:

They could legalize it federally and a bunch of southern and midwestern states will find ways to ban it at the state level, I’m sure.

• Dalek Jeter says:

That’s fine. I hate the south and Midwest anyway. Call me a snob, but regardless what I do in life I plan on it being very close to NYC, DC, Portland, San Fran, or LA.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. It’s quite the dilemma for my parents. They have the same attitude as me, and they’re trying to figure out where to retire. They want some warmer weather, but refuse to go to the south.

• Pat D says:

The Caribbean? Also, Florida isn’t really “the south.” It’s its own entity.

• Dalek Jeter says:

@ Pat, but they’re very anti-cannabis in Florida, to the point where there’s a state bill pending to outlaw all pipes for any purpose.

@ Justin, California. I have some friends who lived in San Diego for a while, one of them legit considered living homeless there vs moving back here because it’s so nice all the time there. While he was living with his brother in the dead of winter, he texted me a picture of him grilling steaks on the apt’s balcony w/ the Pacific in the distance.

• jjyank says:

They don’t want to be one of those old couples in Florida. And they also want to stay close enough to my brother and I to visit. I think right now they’re trying to find a liberal area near the Chesapeake.

• jjyank says:

Jeff, my parents actually lived in San Diego for 3 years before they got married. They love it, but they want to stay on the East Coast because of me and my brother.

• forensic says:

Hopefully not, or at least attach all the same things to it as alcohol.

71. vicki says:

erin andrews should be seen, from the neck down, and not heard.

72. forensic says:

According to Waldman, Lackey ruptured a tendon in his elbow.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox broadcast said it was a strained bicep.

Don’t let accuracy get in your way Suzie!

73. MrPappageorgio says:

How soon do we play Houston? Maybe we can win that series

74. JonS says:

No one gives a fuck about how Avila is going to get the exalt for “baby gate.”

I hate Fox.

75. Mick taylor says:

Robby Thompson is an idiot. With no out out you don’t send boesch on a shallow fly ball when the runner is not particularly fast. You send him with one out inthat scenario. He is not a good coach.

• Eddard says:

He’s been awful for a while now and nothing ever happens. Kevin Long is still the hitting coach after last year’s playoff debacle so that tells you everything you need to know about Girardi’s leadership. Thomson could have sent Chris Stewart there with Cano due up next and not a damn change would occur.

76. Mike HC says:

It really is great to have baseball back no matter how much the Yanks are struggling.

77. MrPappageorgio says:

Maybe Cano will show up today. He looks like he doesnt give a shit

78. forensic says:

When does Cano get back from the WBC?

79. jjyank says:

Youk is impressing so far.

80. SeventhAce says:

The Evil Empire: Wash Ups Strikes Back ?

81. Mike HC says:

Who would have guessed Cano would be our biggest offensive problem so far. You know it is not going to end up that way, but still.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, it sucks because Youk is hitting well behind him. I’m not sure how long that will last (performance or health), so it would be really great if they could click at the same time.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I had a sneaking feeling he’d get himself into trouble by trying to do too much and pressing. That’s exactly what we’re seeing. He has to understand he’s not going to get a lot of fat fastballs with the hitters he has around him, and just be patient.

82. Patrick says:

Only way this team can score is with the home run.

How the fuck do we only have 1 run when 4-5 balls have been crushed?

83. JonS says:

Joe Buck is going to spend this whole inning sucking Verlander’s balls.

84. vicki says:

oh, jesus christ, not another inning-long verlander suck-off. this takes me back to october.

85. Pat D says:

When will you ever learn to put guys away, Phil?

You’ve been like Fredo to me, Phil.

86. Chilango says:

who gives a fuck what Verlander has to say.

87. JonS says:

If it wasn’t windy, The tigers would be up 4-1.

88. MrPappageorgio says:

Sure glad we signed Arod instead of trading for Miggy.

Wait wut?

89. Slu says:

This speed and defense team sucks at speed and defense.

90. JonS says:

People who say Fielder is incredibly agile sound like they’ve never seen an NFL game.

91. Chilango says:

Can Hughes hold them here? Can he get that last out…???

92. Patrick says:

Pheeewwwwww!

93. jjyank says:

Whew. Thank you, Brett. Nice to have you in the OF again.

94. Dalek Jeter says:

BRETT GARDNER!!! Cost my Fantasy team to RBI’s but so well worth it!!!!!

95. SeventhAce says:

GGBG!!!!!

96. vicki says:

the man.

97. McLovin says:

What a play!

98. forensic says:

Grandy woulda had that…

standing…

after two bounces.

99. Cool Lester Smooth says:

Thank you, Brett Gardner.

100. Pat D says:

I guess I’ll try to watch this game now.

101. Chilango says:

Granderson plays it on a hop

102. Mike HC says:

I don’t want to jinx it, but even with the poor start, the game threads have been unusually enjoyable.

103. MannyGeee says:

I like the hustle on Boesch on the groundouts. He’s like the anti-Cano, right guy who thinks Cano doesn’t give a shit?

• JonS says:

It’s so weird the stigma Cano gets from the fans. He’s known as one of the hardest working players on his game in all baseball.

• trr says:

….who can’t be bothered to run hard to first

So, so over analyzed.

• trr says:

I don’t agree that Cano doesn’t care; he’s just the epitome of the modern player;so it’s not cool to run hard. And if you do bust it, you’re labelled as “gritty” or a “throwback” player

• jjyank says:

Most of the time he doesn’t run hard, he doesn’t have a chance. Every once in awhile there’s an error and it looks bad, but it’s a stupid thing to bitch about. He’s a hard worker by all accounts. He comes to the park for early BP and he trains his ass off in the offseason. Jogging on a couple routine grounders will not change my perception of him, and I don’t think it should you for you either.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

It’s annoying as hell, but of all the possible faults for a player to have, I’ll take that one.

• Crespo says:

The hordes of morons who call themselves Yankee fans have this weird thing where a guy is Jesus Christ himself until the day he makes it to the bigs, from which point he becomes a bum for the rest of his life.

• Dalek Jeter says:

+1 They would have found something about Mike Trout to harp on last year. Or they would have burned Harper at the stake for immaturity for the “clown question” comment and his mid season slump.

• trr says:

u mean like they did with DJ, Andy, Mo, and Jorge?

• jjyank says:

People have shat on all those players at one point or another.

• trr says:

Basically, they’ve been treated like heroes (mostly deserved!) all their long careers. If the point is there’s a lot of front running, ignorant fans who root for the Yanks just to be associated with a winner, I’ll certainly go along with that.

• jjyank says:

And those players are also generational players. Not really fair to compare them, or the perceptions fans have of them, to other cases.

• Crespo says:

That was a timing thing. There weren’t half the people there are now that follow this team.

104. Athenian says:

Hughes goes 0-2 then 5 pitches later gives up a hit. That is what he has been.

105. McLovin says:

Yes Joe we defiantly miss Andruw Jones homerun production.

106. Mykey says:

Please do that thing where you strike people out, Philip.

107. Chilango says:

Eric Chavez? Andruw Jones? What?

108. Chilango says:

put…him…away…please

109. jjyank says:

Nice, Phil.

110. Crespo says:

Whoa..Bauer pitching for Cleveland tonight, what happened to Kazmir?

111. Pat D says:

Nice job mistaking 2011 for last year, Buck.

Fucking idiot.

112. viridiana says:

Meanwhile, pitching for Charleston, DePaula whiffs the fist six batters he faces.

113. forensic says:

0-11 with 9 K’s for Nix. You almost have to try to miss the ball to strikeout that many times.

114. Dalek Jeter says:

Damn Phil. You were going so well.

115. MannyGeee says:

Nothing has ever made me more uneasy than seeing Logan warm up for Prince Fielder…

116. SeventhAce says:

McCarver: Capt’n Fucking Obvious

117. Wheels says:

Get him out of there.

118. Chilango says:

Your basic Phil Hughes start.

119. WhittakerWalt says:

Hughes is pitching fine for a 5th starter. I defy any pitcher to succeed with this lineup backing him up.

• Anderson Silva says:

3 runs in 4.1 IPs is not good, no matter what lineup you have behind you.

For a 5th starter.

• forensic says:

If that runner on 1st scores (just to make the ERA nice and easy) it’s a 9 ERA and a 2 WHIP.

Sorry, that’s not even acceptable for a 7th or 8th starter.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Rivera has a 9.00 ERA so far, too. It’s game 5, a little early to be calculating anyone’s ERA. I’m not saying Hughes has been great, I’m just more confident in him than this bullpen.

• forensic says:

You said he is pitching fine for a 5th starter. Those numbers are how he is pitching.

And trying to compare him to Rivera is just about the equivalent of giving up on your argument.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I’m just saying he scares me less than the bullpen, and this it’s a bit early in the season to close the book on how good he’s going to be.

• forensic says:

I’m not closing the book on how he’s going to be based on this start. Though I do find it entertaining how so many people (not necessarily you) think he’s suddenly going to take a big step forward finally here in his 7th year after over 100 starts.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

He’s supposed to be the 4th starter. And lasting only 4 innings isn’t good for any starter.

• forensic says:

It’s an even 4 innings, with 8 hits, and 3 runs plus another runner still on base.

• Dalek Jeter says:

One of which was unearned. I’m not saying he pitched very well, but I think he did decently all things considered.

• forensic says:

Sorry, forgot about that. Still, it’s a 6.75 ERA and a 2 WHIP. Not to mention nearly 90 pitches in 4 innings.

That’s not acceptable for any major league starter. This is not the game to point to for people trying to support Hughes.

• WhittakerWalt says:

It’s not that I love Hughes, just wonder about the quick hook. Especially since our relief corps is terrible in the early goings.

• forensic says:

Quick hook? They were smacking him around, most of the game, and especially in this inning. He’d thrown almost 90 pitches in 4+ innings in his first start after having only faced minor leaguers all Spring, and getting hit around a bit by some of them too.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I’ll admit that following along on Gameday might not be telling me the whole story. Still doesn’t help to have Boone Proctor come in and let the whole thing get out of hand.

• forensic says:

I’m on gameday and radio too. And yeah, the middle bullpen blows right now. But you still can’t leave Hughes in there when he’s clearly getting smacked around.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I don’t want to fight. You’re one of the sensible ones. And I don’t even like Phil Hughes.

• Dalek Jeter says:

My point is just that till late last night, maybe early this morning, Hughes didn’t think he was going to be a ML starter today. If Adam Warren was brought up and gave us the effort Hughes did today we would’ve said “well, it could have been better, but it totally could’ve been worse.”

• forensic says:

Again, how is comparing him to Warren helpful? This is Hughes’ 7th year in the majors and he has over 100 career starts. It would’ve been Warren’s 2nd career start. It’s a totally different situation, just like the terrible comparison before of Rivera to him.

And I guarantee you he knew at least two-three days ago that he could have to start, and knew mid-afternoon yesterday that he was definitely starting.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I wasn’t comparing him to Rivera in any meaningful sense. Just pointing out that it’s silly to cite his season ERA after 4 innings. I’m certain he’s not going to have a 9 ERA at the end of the year.

• WhittakerWalt says:

It also doesn’t help when the relievers let all your runners score. Hughsie could have done that on his own.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Plus I’d rather have Hughes out there than this terrible bullpen.

• trr says:

To me, his main problem is he always seems to run his pitch count up, then has a terrible inning around the 5th or 6th…but if you are ranking him as a 5th starter, then yeah, he’s acceptable at that level. I’m sure the team is hoping he’ll be more of a #3 guy this year

120. jjyank says:

Damn it.

Well, at least I get some fantasy points.

*ducks*

121. forensic says:

The only surprising thing about this is that none of the balls have gone 500 ft. (and maybe that it didn’t happen earlier).

122. Athenian says:

Good effort by Phil. 3-1, to many runs to make up.

123. Raymond Freemont says:

Yankees are going to have a huge hole to dig out of once everyone returns. It’s going to make the second half of the season very interesting.

• Athenian says:

Except everyone won’t return. Tex will be back on the DL within 3 weeks, he need surgery. Grandy can’t carry the team. Forget about ARod, he won’t provide much. Jeter hitting singles but never scoring isn’t good either. This is jus one of those years.

• jjyank says:

You literally don’t know any of that.

• Athenian says:

Ok. ?

• jjyank says:

Well you’re speaking in absolutes. And they’re all negative, and all pulled out of your ass. The exactly opposite of everything you said could also happen.

• Athenian says:

Ok. They’re all negatives. But isn’t you disagreeing, meaning you think the exact opposite -same absolutes – that those players will save the team the same level of pulling it out of your ass?

• jjyank says:

No, because I never said any of those things will or will not happen. Read comprehension, it’s great.

• Athenian says:

Ahh, good jab on reading comprehension apparently it only goes one way. But whether or not you said it, your statement still implies you believe the exact opposite because you grouped each item together. That makes your retort absolutes or at a minimum meaning you literally do not know that I am wrong any more than you would be right.

As a positive, your sharp tone and cut downs of any and everyone you don’t agree with, brilliant! Absolutely make me laugh.

• jjyank says:

You’re missing the point, which is hardly surprising. I simply said you don’t know those things would happen, and it exists in the realm of possibility that the opposite happens. I’m pointing out that you’re talking out of your ass. I made no predictions either way.

And now, for the moment we’ve all been waiting for…

O:S

124. Athenian says:

Cecil will go yard.. Thank you Boone.

125. Mike HC says:

Just when I thought that this was maybe going to be Phil’s year …

• vicki says:

come on, this was a rehab start. i still believe.

• Mike HC says:

True. I have to say, when the injury first happened it kind of put a damper on what I thought was going to be his year. You are right though, it could still be his breakout year. This lineup is no joke.

126. Dalek Jeter says:

This reminds me of a game last season when Phil was pulled for Logan against a game in Minnesota. Taking him out strictly because of Handedness, regardless of what the numbers say (Hughes is better against LHH’ers than Prince, and Prince kills Logan)

127. MannyGeee says:

Alright… This Detroit lineup is scary fucking good. I am starting to feel about Miggy-Prince what I used to feel about Ortiz-Manny back in 2003-2005

128. jjyank says:

Boonetang. Do you have a fucking cookie this time? Do your damn job.

129. Anderson Silva says:

Awesome. I bet they bring Logan to face Prince yet again tomorrow.

130. Mike HC says:

I am not a Logan fan

131. forensic says:

That was shocking…

I can’t wait to see what happens with that matchup tomorrow…

132. MannyGeee says:

How’s your LOOGY hangin?

Short shriveled and a little to the left…

133. Wheels says:

Catch the ball Cervelli!

134. MannyGeee says:

Tough hop on that throw. An online throw has Miggy dead to rights.

135. Anderson Silva says:

How can you be a pitching and defense team if you can’t pitch or play D?

136. Dalek Jeter says:

If I hear Suzyn say “the middle of Detroit’s order aren’t just sluggers, THEY’RE ALL GOOD HITTERS” one more time I’m going to lose it. She has said it no less than 7 times this game.

Also, who knew that Prince was getting a hit off Logan? Who saw that coming?

137. Pinkie Pie says:

Who do you blame on that? Boone for continuing to suck? Girardi for doing the same thing as yesterday and expecting different results?

Also, nice D Cerv….

138. Slime says:

Where’s damaso marte when you need him

139. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

In positive news, DePaula has 10 K’s in 4 IP so far.

140. MannyGeee says:

OK this inning is becoming Keystone Fucking Capers…

141. Raymond Freemont says:

Logan is garbage and so is the shitty GM that kept him around and the even shittier manager that uses him.

142. Bartolo's Colon says:

amazing that cabrera just went 1st to third on a single. i don’t know if a yankee has done that in years?

143. forensic says:

Way to go Boone!!! You rock!

144. Athenian says:

Think Logan’s nickname should be “White Flag”. Then at Yankee Stadium when he comes into the game they can play the Dido song White Flag.

145. ClayDavis says:

Sell the team Hal

146. Patrick says:

Any questions left about Cervelli’s defensive ‘prowess’?

147. trr says:

going for a run….everyone, I expect we’ll be winning by the time I’m back?

148. WhittakerWalt says:

Thanks for the effort, Boone Proctor.

149. dalelama says:

Phew, we really stink.

150. stuart a says:

Cannot see the game. Sounds like Logan continues about a 10 year tradition of crappy lefty on lefty results.

season off to a horrible start…

youkilis, pettitte, and wells and not much else…

give cano that 7 year deal he deserves it , he is definitely not trying to pull every pitch. he is a dominating player just does not show it on the field…

151. ClayDavis says:

This team fucking sucks. Why is Hunter not on the Yankees. Obvious need. Hal Steinbrenner should die in a fire. Ruining this fucking franchise

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

One possible contributing factor would be because Hunter said Detroit was the only team he considered.

The bigger question is why the fuck Cash didn’t trade Boone Logan for Mike Trout.

• Mike HC says:

If Hal dies in a fire that means Hank takes over. Much worse.

Wow. That’s…harsh.

I’m guessing you had the TV on mute when earlier they were discussing how Hunter specifically wanted to sign with the Tigers so badly that the contract took less than 8 hours to hammer out.

• ClayDavis says:

I don’t buy that. Money talks.

• jjyank says:

For a guy his age trying desperately to win a ring? Maybe not.

And even if it did, would it be better for the franchise going forward to overpay significantly for Hunter?

• Crespo says:

+1. The fact that they didn’t hand Hunter a 4-yr deal this offsesason is basis for fan revolt……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

• Puppet says:

Except for the fact that Hunter has said he would have loved to be a Yankee but they didn’t call. And the Halo’s didn’t want him, so yeah when a team finally steps up and wants you it’s easy to accept quickly.

• jjyank says:

Look, I prefer Hunter to Ichiro too, but acting like a spoiled child and pretending that force trade/signings is on and hoping the team’s owner “dies in a fire” just screams “I’m 12 years old my my mother should take my computer away”.

• Pinkie Pie says:

“We’re trying to get our payroll under $189 million for 2013. And that’s why we’re currently fielding the highest payroll in MLB history THIS season”

Sincerely,
      Hal Steinbrenner

• viridiana says:

Sometimes even violent profanity has the ring of truth.

152. Pinkie Pie says:

Wow. The Yankees look reallly bad. Mot much to be excited about with this team.

153. Chilango says:

It’s like its a rebuilding year but they’re not rebuilding. The injuries have made it a lot worse, but this was inevitable. All that’s missing are promising young players and Greg saying “we’re not going to win the World Series.”

154. Brian Cashman from another dimension says:

Give Vidal Nuno or Juan Cedeno a chance.

155. Dalek Jeter says:

Okay Robby, the season starts now, okay?

156. Stratman9652 says:

At what point do we borrow American Idol technology so fans can vote for what reliever to bring in? Pretty sure 99.999% of voters would have said anybody but Boone right there.

157. James A says:

Wow, this is worse than I expected. I mean not only is this team bad on paper, but there’s a lifelessness to them. I know it’s early, but it’s hard to see much to be excited about. Hal should absolutely sell, this is his dad’s thing clearly not his, let a group that’s passionate about winning and building the Yankee brand take over, because it’s going to get much worse before it gets any better

158. Dalek Jeter says:

Kevin, no reason to tell you this, but seriously…just put the bat down.

159. MannyGeee says:

So Scherzers gone wild huh…

160. CoolYankeesGuy says:

Why is our team’s plate discipline so bad?
    Why is our bullpen garbage?

161. Dalek Jeter says:

Pronk!!!

162. DInnings says:

I would trade the following:

Teixiera, Gardner, Wells, Suzuki, Cano, Granderson, Hughes, Nova, Chamberlain, Logan (last five in their walk year.)

As for the minors, ANYONE.

I hope Teixiera never plays again so the WBC has to pay his remaining salary, or at least all of his 2013 salary then Teixiera is on the perpetual disabled list with A-Rod (since both won’t retire) and the Yanks make back insurance money on both of them.

163. vicki says:

don’t dream, vicki. don’t let yourself dream.

164. MannyGeee says:

Albequerque also cannot find the plate. This could get interesting

165. CoolYankeesGuy says:

Good, the Yankees mash this guy.

166. Pinkie Pie says:

BoeschSlam

167. Eddard says:

The Tigers pen is their achilles heel. They must take the lead here. Boesch has his chance at revenge here. Nix won’t do shit.

168. forensic says:

Has Sterling never watching Hafner ‘run’? He’s acting like it’s a guarantee that he scores on a single.

169. Dalek Jeter says:

Teh fuck is happening?

170. jjyank says:

Wow. Terrible call, but…I’ll take it I suppose.

171. Anderson Silva says:

terrible baserunning.. this team is awful

172. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

More horrible baserunning.

173. Eddard says:

Can’t do that. Can’t overrule like that once the ump calls him safe. Awful overrule. Get thrown out, Joe and put some life into your team.

174. WhittakerWalt says:

This team.

175. Chilango says:

Really bad break. Just what we didn’t need. Fuck.

176. Mclovin says:

They can fucking do that?

177. Dalek Jeter says:

Why isn’t Cervelli being pinch hit for?

178. CoolYankeesGuy says:

Go Cisco.

179. dalelama says:

Girardi is acting like a resl crybaby.

180. Eddard says:

Get thrown out, Joe. How many times have umps made a shit call and they never overrule it. Never. Last time Joe got thrown out in Detroit it did wonders for the club.

181. Dalek Jeter says:

Loverbay, seriously, if it’s not right down the middle…why are you swinging 1st pitch?

182. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

That’s OK Overbay. He’s struggling to find the plate. But feel free to swing at any crap he throws.

183. CoolYankeesGuy says:

Damn it, between browsing here and /sp/ Yankees threads this is really killing me.
    Let’s hope Al is wild.

184. Pinkie Pie says:

Wtf, Lyle? He”s wild as hell and you swing at the first pitch?

185. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

wtf asshole

186. Dalek Jeter says:

What are you swinging at dude?!

187. Preston says:

STOP SWINGING HE CAN’T THROW STRIKES!!!!!!

188. Anderson Silva says:

Overbay must be swinging with his eyes closed. He hasn’t seem a pitch close yet

189. yo says:

Bat should be glued to his shoulder

190. Dalek Jeter says:

lOverbay #True Yankee?

191. Pinkie Pie says:

NO WAI

192. jjyank says:

Lyle Mother Fucking Overbay.

193. JonS says:

Tigers fans must hate Albequerque.

194. Ron says:

Omg a 2 out hit, is anyone recording this.

• vicki says:

we got our first lead of the season wednesday night on a two-out two-rbi overbay single, you know.

get used to it?

195. WhittakerWalt says:

I forgive you, Loverbay.

196. vicki says:

lyle overbay. jockeying for TYtm status.

197. Eddard says:

Overbay was another excellent pickup by Cashman. Too back we can’t PH for Nix.

198. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Truly Professional.

199. Dalek Jeter says:

RISPWIN! with THE BASES LOADED!

200. Pinkie Pie says:

Could have been worse, but it feels like the Yankees should have done more that inning.

201. SDB says:

Nix. Sigh.

At least there’s a glimmer of hope.

Please, Phelps, don’t undo that inning when Cabrera’s up…

202. CoolYankeesGuy says:

It’s okay, Overbay was just fucking with us.

203. Dalek Jeter says:

When the Daleks take over the universe I’m demanding we exterminate Jayson Nix first.

204. Slime says:

This needs to be a quick shut down inning

205. Chilango says:

Time to put up a zero….

206. WhittakerWalt says:

This bullpen’s going to drive me to drink (more).

207. jjyank says:

Fuuuck Phelps.

208. Manny's BanWagon says:

I’m so glad I’ll never have to listen to Tim McCarver’s swill ever again after this year. If only he’d take Joe Buck with him.

• Chilango says:

Yanks give it back again.. maddening. Then there’s the booth. When it’s called a ball, it’s “just inside” and when it’s called a strike “Phelps got a gift.”

209. Dalek Jeter says:

Gameday is saying at least 2 of those pitches were strikes, confirm?

210. jjyank says:

…did Joe Buck really need help explaining what OPS is?

211. Manny's BanWagon says:

Fox is now up to OPS. Wonder how long it’ll take them to learn a real offensive metric like wOBA.

212. Pinkie Pie says:

Wow. Thank god Ken Rosenthal explained what OPS was for me. I don’t know what I’d do without him.

213. dalelama says:

Amazing the Babe had a lifetime OPS of 1.164.

214. WhittakerWalt says:

I’m so glad we have literally NO ONE who can come in and get a hitter like Fielder out.

215. Manny's BanWagon says:

McCarver probably thinks we invaded South Korea with talk about WAR.

216. Crespo says:

as bad as Buck and Macarver are, let’s all take a moment to remember that we no longer have to listen to Joe Morgan

217. yeayo says:

When does football start?

218. vicki says:

that’s right, nixie. follow it all the way into your glove.

219. dalelama says:

Where is moron who was saying how effective Phelps was going to be this year?

220. Chilango says:

Are we sure Boras didn’t dump Cano?

221. WhittakerWalt says:

Fucking Cano.

222. Craig Sagermetrics says:

All you self-righteous fuckwads bitching about OPS and WAR being explained on the broadcast: shut the hell up.

Sorry not everyone watching Fox is a baseball statistics genius like yourself. God forbid some casual fan watching the game doesn’t know what some non-traditional metrics are. Yeah, McCarver is a douche, but Christ almighty, you people suck the dick of sabermetrics all day long then scoff when someone tries to explain your precious stats to people who might not know what they are. Not every schmoe flipping through the channels on a Saturday evening is an advanced metrics nut. You should be happy they at least took a cut at explaining some basic SABR stats.

• vicki says:

we totally had that coming.

• Dalek Jeter says:

If explaining OPS to you takes more than a two minute conversation you should need permission to use a computer.

• MannyGeee says:

Agreed, it’s filler and if you need more than 2 breaths and more than one ‘expert analyst’ to describe it, you’re doing it wrong.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I actually agree with this, though the hostility’s a bit much.

• Eddard says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself, Craig. Even the sabermetricians Ronald Reagan, Bill James, would probably agree that trying to teach people these things is a much better way to get people on your side than to belittle them.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I apologize. In all fairness, I applaud them for their efforts.

• jjyank says:

Ehh. WAR, sure. Explain it. A lot of fans don’t know what it is, or how it’s calculated. OPS? If you need more than 30 seconds to explain OPS, then that’s just sad. I don’t even consider OPS a sabermetric statistic. It’s just the addition of on base percentage and slugging. Boom, done.

• Hoss says:

Fuck OPS. We’re already into Black OPS, aka BOPS. Expect an attack by Special Forces (aka SF) before the ASB.

223. WhittakerWalt says:

I guess that’s what a shutdown inning looks like.

224. MannyGeee says:

I bet you dollars to donuts that Erin Andrews is a minx in the sack… She seems like she’d be a real fun lover

225. Mike HC says:

Any chance we break the 4 run barrier today? Regardless of outcome.

226. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Yankee baserunning is rubbing off on Avila.

227. Manny's BanWagon says:

Jackson is on my fantasy team. Please steal 2nd now.

228. MannyGeee says:

Phelps has almost picked off both Avila and Jackson this inning. Kid has a quick move to first.

229. MannyGeee says:

Nice snag by LoverBay there…

230. Pasta diving youlklis says:

I can not believe how much we need Pineda to be like he was. Our pitching is shit. Nova needs to go down phelps is a long reliever The pen is a mess logan cooked need Cabrel to be something or we are fucked.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m going to say to you what I said to everybody who was all up on Phelp’s dick last season: Lets give the kid a full season in the bigs before we decide exactly what he is/isn’t.

• Chilango says:

Last year’s pitching with this year’s hitting. Not a good combo.

231. Mike HC says:

Back of Detroits pen is terrible. WE can definitely make this interesting.

232. WhittakerWalt says:

In other news…

What a swell bunch of fans.

• MannyGeee says:

But, did they throw batteries?

- Cliff Lees little piggy wife

• vicki says:

i’ve had my hair pulled by bleacher creatures just because i was on a date with a guy wearing a tweed blazer (okay, what was he thinking?), and worse at jets games. beer and testosterone. fans are dicks all over.

233. Mike HC says:

Happy to see Girardi sticking with Hafner against a lefty and not messing with Francisco.

234. Chilango says:

Heeeeeere’s Joba!

235. forensic says:

The Yankees bullpen sure is great at closing games down, for the other team.

Everytime the offense actually gets out of their own way to score a couple runs and make the score close, the bullpen immediately gives the runs right back and it’s just gut punch after gut punch taking whatever life may have been left in the offense away.

236. Mike HC says:

I always enjoy watching Joba pitch. Trying to find some positives.

• Chilango says:

You’re kidding right? And this year he’s even scarier with the cheesy stache,

• Crespo says:

I would enjoy it too if it it didn’t force me to relive the stupidity of his development.

• Mike HC says:

True. I’m still not completely over that either

• WhittakerWalt says:

I don’t really know how much of that we can blame on the way he was treated, and how much is just him not being as good as we thought he’d be.

• Mike HC says:

Probably some combination of both.

• Crespo says:

Except he wasn’t that bad in his starts, he just had trouble getting through the order for the 2nd and 3rd times(like 99% of young pitchers)

• WhittakerWalt says:

Yeah, but that’s a sure sign that a guy should go back to the bullpen. You rarely have to see the lineup turn over when you’re a reliever. He’s been practically useless ever since coming back to the bullpen.
            I don’t know. I hear way too many excuses coming out about Joba. For a guy who was handled with kid gloves for so long, you’d think they made him pitch ’til his arm fell off.

• Crespo says:

“Yeah, but that’s a sure sign that a guy should go back to the bullpen.”

My point is, there was no reason at all to put him in the starting rotation in ’08. He should have went back down for one, maybe even two seasons. If he had, he’d be probably be a starter this day.

You can argue that is hindsight is 20/20 blah blah blah. But teams that don’t understand the fact that a guy who hasn’t proven he can pitch 160+ effective innings in AA/AAA isn’t going to succeed in the bigs are doomed to run young arms into the ground.

237. Pasta diving youlklis says:

Joba in to give up 2 more runs
    Joba = gas on fire.

238. Mike HC says:

“John Lackey will undergo an MRI on his injured right arm Sunday morning in Boston.
    Lackey suffered a right biceps strain during his start Saturday afternoon against the Blue Jays. It looked bad, but the MRI will tell the whole story. Lackey had Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in November 2011.”

That was quick

239. And in merrie olde England says:

Late to the party but wtf is Joba doing, is he trying to fol everyone that he’s boomer reborn (in a mirror)?!

240. Pasta diving youlklis says:

Cervelli should bring joba a razor
    He looks like 80 gay clone.

241. WhittakerWalt says:

Even if we were to somehow come back and win this game, can we please not give up 17 freaking hits to the Tigers?

242. Mick taylor says:

Does anyone find it ironic that the umpire Jerry lane reversed the call of the first base umpire on the double play but the home plate umpire and ist base umps in last years playoff were not willing to do that for the yanks when cano was safe at first and second. Had they made the right call in those games the yanks most likely win one of them and the whole series may have been different

243. WhittakerWalt says:

I remember when Joba used to be fun to watch.

244. MannyGeee says:

Joba is getting squeezed.

• MannyGeee says:

And when I say squeezed, I obviously meant that he should be getting those calls on the 58 footer he just launched

• WhittakerWalt says:

According to Gameday, Joba showed a lot of faith in Cervelli by throwing that slider with a man on third. Somebody needs to tell Gameday that Joba will throw his stupid slider in any situation and get the same crap results.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

The strike zone seems to have been kind of screwy all day

245. Wheels says:

Oh dear.

246. Craig Sagermetrics says:

Good to see Joba in top form this evening.

247. Pasta diving youlklis says:

Yup
    Didnt need aardsma.

248. MannyGeee says:

OK shave the mustache, it’s brought you nothing but trouble so far in this young season.

249. vicki says:

shave the evil, joba.

250. Chilango says:

The postgame shows are going to be hideous this year.

251. WhittakerWalt says:

I’m sticking this game out to the bitter end, but seriously. Fuck Joba. That guy’s been rubbish for so long now, it’s time to give up the idea of him reclaiming is former glory.

252. forensic says:

Heh, trading an out for a run actually just lowered Joba’s ERA from 40.50 to 36. Gotta love early season reliever numbers.

253. Mike HC says:

The ol’ strike em out, throw em out.

254. Pasta diving youlklis says:

I miss
    MFIKY

255. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

What the heck was going on with that?

256. Pasta diving youlklis says:

Watch ichiro going to hit a 5 run hr for the win.

257. WhittakerWalt says:

Ichiro looks like so much ass this year.

258. Wheels says:

Ouch!

259. OldYanksFan says:

Actually the only good news to a 1-4 start is that this makeshift Offense hasn’t been horrible (except for Cano). Youk looks good, Wells isn’t done yet, and Hafner isn’t dead.

The Pitching has sucked.
    Hughes is gone after this year, along with Joba.
    We gotta hope that CC, Andy and Hiroki can get us/keep us at .500.

260. WhittakerWalt says:

One thing I’ll say about all these losses, there wasn’t a cheapie in the bunch. We deserved every one of them. I guess that’s better than getting robbed by the umps.

261. Pinkie Pie says:

They lost 8-3 yesterday and 8-4 today. PROGRESS.

262. Chilango says:

Hope CC pitches like Verlander tomorrow.

263. vicki says:

go shockers.

264. forensic says:

At least they kept their streak of 4 or less runs going. And still haven’t reached double digits in hits.

265. OMG! Bagels! says:

Sorry I haven’t been around the game threads. Have decided to jump off the ledge in April this year instead of joining everyone else game to game. Not that I ever joined last year, but I figured why put myself through the hell of optimism for all those games only to be swept by the Tigers. I’m jumping now.

Actually I’ve been working a lot but am seriously hopeful that they win 2 games this year.