Apr

King: Ty Hensley out 2-3 months following hip surgery

Via George King: Right-hander Ty Hensley will miss 2-3 months after having surgery to repair a bone impingement in his right hip today. “He had a pulled abdominal and it turned out this was the cause,” said VP of Baseball Ops Mark Newman. Dr. Bryan Kelly, who performed Alex Rodriguez‘s recent hip surgery, will do the procedure.

Hensley, 19, was the Yankees’ first round pick (30th overall) last summer. He agreed to a $1.6M bonus shortly after the draft, but a pre-signing physical revealed a shoulder “abnormality” and the bonus was adjusted down to $1.2M. The Oklahoma native allowed four earned runs with 14 strikeouts in 12 innings for the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League Yankees after signing. Hensley ranked eighth on my Preseason Top 30 Prospects List and it sounds like he might be healthy in time for the short season leagues in June. Who knows with hips though.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. JW says:

So does anyone know if “hip impingement” is something like what A-Rod had the first go-around?

• Mike Axisa says:

It’s not. A-Rod just had a torn labrum the first time around. An impingement means the head of the femur is misshapen and is causing problems. It’s a genetic thing.

• trr says:

This after the “shoulder abnormality”. Hope this is the end of his issues, and that he’s back on the diamond later this year.

2. Andrew says:

Sucks that he’s missing extend ST and possibly part of the SI/GCL season, but, rather this be the type of injury that pops up as opposed to an arm issue, particularly considering the preexisting abnormality.

3. Govin says:

I was looking forward to seeing him pitch. Oh well two months isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things. At least this isn’t news about the next major league player getting hurt.

4. keithK says:

They clearly had him too close to the major leaguers in Tampa. Some of that bad juju rubbed off on him.

5. Conor says:

We should start getting a deal on bone impingement surgeries.

6. Tags says:

It was funny last year I went to 10 Trenton Thunder games and they lost every one and played so poorly in each yet they won the division. This is the year I’m most excited about since I started buying a partial package in 2006. Last year there was not one impact player on the entire roster and this year the whole outfield is stacked we have pitching prospect in the rotation and pen. And we could see Williams and Sanchez at some time during the season. Thanks for the great write up Mike!

7. EricVA says:

This is starting to sound like an Onion article:

NY Yankees Place Entire Organization on DL

8. Real Life says:

One day we will have a prospect actually turn out. One day…

• MannyGeee says:

Jay Z and Robbie Cano want you to jump off a cliff…

• Guns says:

How about a prospect that lives up to the hype? Robbie was pretty under the radar.

• Jim Is Bored says:

So RAB has finally come to the point where we complain about people who exceed expectations?

• Guns says:

Are you automatically an asshole or do you make a conscious decision to be that way? Where in the world can you take what I wrote as “complaining?”

I was merely stating what I thought Real Life in the OP was trying to state; since he obviously forgot about Robbie (along with others) as a prospect turning out.

• jjyank says:

Too an extent. It’s not like Cano came out of nowhere. IIRC, he was a pretty good prospect.

Regardless, I don’t see the point in this distinction. A prospect exceeding expectations and becoming a star shouldn’t be any different than a prospect meeting expectations and becoming a star.

• jsbrendog says:

yeah seriously, jeter wasn’t a great prospect, and neither was Mo. posada was a failed 2b, and i dont know about andy…

• Guns says:

Jeter wasn’t a great prospect???

He was the sixth overall pick and was rated as high as # 4 by BA.

• jsbrendog says:

cherry pick, fine. that one was wrong. the rest still stands.

• Ed says:

We were extremely lucky that Jeter lasted until the 6th pick. Some of the top minor league people in the Astros organization wanted to take him #1. I forget who it was, but one of their top people in the scouting department quit because the team didn’t pick Jeter.

I believe the Reds were seriously looking at him for the #5 pick as well. I don’t remember the story on why they passed on him.

• Guns says:

Sickels graded Cano as a ‘C’ prospect.
            And to my knowledge he was never a top 100 prospect. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I think it’s a pretty interesting point. I think it speaks to the lack of impact the Yankees 1st round picks have had.

The Yankees didn’t sign Cano – or Mariano Rivera for instance – with the expectation that they would turn out to be anything close to what they are. That’s obvious. Although, even though they lucked into it to the extent that these turned into star players, they should be given credit to seeing and finding that talent.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I appreciate you referring to me as “Jay-Z,” but I’m actually not him.

9. The Real Me (Formerly Cris Pengiucci) says:

Probably better that this was found at a young age/early in his development. Better now than when he’s in AAA, trying to build up his innings in anticipation of contributing to the team in the next year or so (I’m looking at you Banuelos!!)

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

Yes, I wish I wasn’t hearing about this.

Yes, I’m tired of hearing about DL stints up and down with the organization these past two years.

Yes, it does give me a slight worry as to durability, even though I realize that’s silly.

Yes, I’m glad this is happening now, when he was going to EXT anyway, then to SI.

11. Cool Lester Smooth says:

God damn it.

12. The Real Greg says:

I understand every organization goes through injuries but this is getting ridiculous. The injuries in the farm system in the last 2 years has prevented any type of development from key players.