Apr

King: Yankees never discussed Joba with Rangers

Via George King: The Yankees never got to the point of discussing trade scenarios involving Joba Chamberlain with the Rangers. We heard last month that Texas had been scouting the right-hander.

Joba, 27, became much more important to the bullpen as soon as David Aardsma was cut loose. He’s the clear number three late-inning guy behind Mariano Rivera and David Robertson, sorta bridging the gap between those two and the Shawn Kelleys and Cody Eppleys of the world. One year of a reliever coming off two major injuries doesn’t have much trade value anyway. Makes more sense just to keep him.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

Keep Joba. Trade the mustache for Mike Olt. BOOM.

2. Travis L. says:

Since Joba makes under 2mil this year, what would it take to keep him around as a late inning reliever…as long as yesterday wasnt a sign of things to come, but just a hiccup?

3. trr says:

I don’t think anybody would trade anything of value for him straight up, but maybe as part of a package in say, July?….

4. Slappy McWaterbug says:

I think it makes sense to try him as a starter.

5. antd12185 says:

I say let’s call them up and trade Jobs and Sanchez and Heathcott and mason Williams for Jurickson Profar and hell if they want someone else give it to them

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think even a non-religious person is thanking God right now that you’re not Brian Cashman.

• jjyank says:

You know, I was thinking. If I was Brian Cashman, and I had some free time, this is EXACTLY what I’d be doing.

Not making that trade, of course. I mean going on Yankee boards and posting ridiculous things for shits and giggles.

• jsbrendog says:

cashman hasn’t had free time since bill clinton got bjers in the oval office what with the whoring about, skydiving, clibming buildings, being a gm for the yankees

• jjyank says:

He’s gotta occupy his time with something while he pretends to listen to Hank and Levine talk.

Also, that description of Cashman’s life sounds pretty fucking awesome.

• Ed says:

Well, most of that stuff is on hold while he’s in a wheelchair. He needs something to do. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe he joined a wheelchair-skydiving team.

• jsbrendog says:

what is that called, where they play the game in the wheelchairs, murderball?

that sounds about right.

• jjyank says:

I balk at that. Profar is a great prospect, but he has all of 9 games above AA (all in the MLB) and didn’t even hit well in that admittedly extremely small sample.

He’s not a guy that I’m trading away 3 of our top 4 prospects and a useful MLB bullpen piece.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

But he’s ELITE and CAN’T MISS and our guys are obviously doomed to a life of nothingness and shit. That’s why we should trade six for one with him.

• jjyank says:

Heh, yeah. This package is something you trade for an established star, not a kid who hasn’t proven a damn thing above AA. It’s probably an overpay for a Justin Upton or Chase Headley, nevermind Profar.

• LK says:

I think you’re overrating the Yankees’ prospects. If they get one above-average player out of that group of 3 it would be a success.

• jjyank says:

Maybe. I agree that it’d be a success if that happened, but trades don’t always work with that logic. Three top 100 prospects and useful MLB piece is probably on the heavy side for most players other than all-stars. You may disagree, but I wouldn’t trade that package for Headley, and he at least has big league success. So that’s a big “hell no” on Profar.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

One more bigger name isn’t changing the trajectory. You still need guys from the system to come through, and now you’ve given them away for one guy.

Just my theory.

• LK says:

I can see your side of it. Personally I’d rather go for broke with a guy who has a legitimate chance to be a star and try to fill in average regulars around him than hang onto several guys who probably won’t ever become more than average regulars themselves. There’s risks on both sides though (as always with prospects).

• SithLord says:

Like Giancarlo Stanton?

• LK says:

I’m not sure exactly what the Yankees’ scouts think of Profar, but in general the drop-off in quality for prospect lists in unbelievably steep. Trading 3 mid-top-100 guys and a reliever for the best prospect in baseball is probably pretty fair value. The Rangers likely turn that offer down even with their positional logjam.

• jjyank says:

I disagree. If the Yankees are gutting the front on of their prospect lists, I want something more proven in return than Profar.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It feels steeper to me simply because I think the team would be best served keeping the quantity, rather than taking putting most of the eggs in one basket for a grab one quality guy, right now.

Of course it’s a risk, and I agree that any prospect faces more than an uphill battle towards success. I’m still taking the multiple tickets over the one, even if the one offers a better chance at success.

6. LarryM Fl says:

IMHO, Joba is a relief pitcher. I think his usage is just right. He is inefficient with his pitches and normally will need 20 or so to get out of an inning. This inability with his pitches to make them count keeps him from starting. A three or 4 inning starter is not good for the bullpen.

I do believe the Yankees screwed up his development with pitch counts and his usage.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Maybe.

If I were to agree with you, it might be more due to health reasons than ineffiency.

• LarryM Fl says:

I did recall the injury in Texas which Cashman referenced as the reason for his usage in the bullpen. But he does throw 95+ with a devastating slider. So the injury apparently diminishes his pitch count because he seems to be strong in his one inning debuts. He just can’t be stretched out.

7. Vern Sneaker says:

Joba’s a pretty good reliever and it wouldn’t be so easy to upgrade his slot. I’m still a knucklehead when I evaluate him, though. Can’t get the pre-midge magnificence out of my mind, how stupid and stubborn of me, but there it is.

8. Kevin Ocala, Fl says:

There seems to be “something missing” in the press coverage of him. The team has soured on him, why? He can’t be a starter, why? They seem to be ready to let him go, why? I guess we find out after the Cardinals pick him up, he wins 20, five years in a row, and writes a book……