Apr

Lifeless Yankees shut out in series finale loss to Rays

Source: FanGraphs

I didn’t see a single pitch of tonight’s game and I only caught the last inning and a half on the radio, so tonight’s recap won’t be too detailed. Based on the box score, I picked a pretty good game to miss. Right-hander Alex Cobb held the Yankees to three singles and a walk in 8.1 innings of work, and it wasn’t until there were two outs in the ninth inning that New York had a man reach third base. Robinson Cano and Travis Hafner did bat while representing the tying run in the final frame though, and that’s really all you can ask for after being lulled to sleep for the first eight innings.

Brennan Boesch is going to get most (i.e. all) of the blame for Tampa’s two-run rally in the fifth, but all he did was allow the runners to advance a base. That whole rally started when Andy Pettitte hit Jose Molina (!) with a pitch in a two-strike count (!!) to leadoff the inning (!!!). That is a major no-no. Pettitte almost pitched out of the mess before Ben Zobrist’s two-run single, then Sean Rodriguez stretched the lead with a solo homer an inning later. Three runs (two earned) with ten strikeouts and one walk in six innings is some damn fine work by Andy, just not damn fine enough to win.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the nerdier starts, and ESPN the updated standings. The Yankees scored just five runs in the three games at Tropicana Field and head home on the heels of a 3-3 road trip. Not great, not awful. Acceptable, I guess. The Blue Jays will be in the Bronx for a four-game weekend series starting Thursday night, when the pitching matchup will be Hiroki Kuroda against Mark Buehrle. Check out RAB Tickets if you want to catch any of the four games, I’m sure there are plenty of good seats left.

Categories : Open Thread

1. trr says:

Well, I’m satisfied with a .500 road trip.
    not happy, just satisfied

2. DInnings says:

Hold up. All Boesch did was allow the runners to advance? Had he not made that fielding error because he inexplicably thought Molina was a speed-demon who’d go to third on a single, it would’ve been first and second, no outs and Pettitte pitches even better in that inning considering he almost got out of a more difficult men on second and third, no outs jam after an inexcusable error. Maybe Pettitte pitches differently where he doesn’t give up a homerun to Sean Rodriguez. We’ll never know.

Cobb owned them tonight. Handing him two runs sparked by a stupid fielding gaffe had to have made the burden to come back even worse. When a guy owns you, you don’t need dumb defense compounding the ownage.

Pettitte is not to blame for this loss, Boesch is, because the first run, an unearned run, was all the Rays needed to win this game.

3. Eddard says:

Boesch is to blame, not Andy. Ichiro should be playing in RF, not Boesch. I understand they wanted to give Wells a day off but that should be the end of the Boesch experiment. When Grandy returns, Boesch is gone. He and Francisco can try morphing into one decent ballplayer.

4. WhittakerWalt says:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

5. Manny's BanWagon says:

Watching Molina “run” to 3rd after the ball got by Boesch was like watching someone from the “biggest loser” trying to “run”.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

But not as funny as Nunez throwing Molina out on a ground ball my grandmother could have beat out, and she stopped walking halfway through last decade.

6. WhittakerWalt says:

Girardi later went on to explain that Boesch is a baseball player, so it’s all good.

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

I love reading a bunch of blog commenters argue about what individual player deserves the “blame” for a loss. Would the guys actually playing the game ever do something like this?

This, of course, is completely separate from the fact that Brennan Boesch can go fuck himself. What was that? Dumbassness. That’s what that was.

Even worse was that the dumbassness occurred literally seconds after I said something complimentary about Boesch to my wife, while putting down Shelley Duncan who, of course, can forever go fuck himself.

Anyways, I hate the Trop. Burn that bitch down. The Yanks will beat up on the Rays when they play them at a real baseball stadium.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Sean Rodriguez hit a home run. Shoulda walked him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I hate Sean Rodriguez so much. He should just be assigned to Boston in order to make life easier for me.

• MickeyP says:

I agree completely. No one player is to blame for the loss of a baseball game. There are hundreds of chances to change the game.

• Bob Buttons says:

Bullocks. I suppose you also want to say that you can’t predict baseball.

• BigLoving says:

That’s baseball Susan….

On that note I am on full protest of listening to the Yankees via Sterling at any point this season. It really has become so unbearably painful to listen to those two. I’m praying they actually let them go at the end of this contract and get some decent guys in the booth.

• Tom from England says:

Thank you. The worst play-by-play E V E R . He’s so goddamn full of himself, it’s pitiful. Dream Broadcasting Team – Sterling and Piniella. I loved watching Sweet Lou play and manage, but broadcasting is definitely not his forte either.

8. Kramerica Industries says:

WallyMatt actually had the gall to call a Binder Fail by saying Zobrist should’ve been IBB’d to face Longo.

Now, to give him a smidgen of a credit, Zobrist has good numbers against Pettitte, Longo does not.

Still, on what planet do you EVER IBB someone to face the opposing team’s best player, with the bases loaded, in a tie game? So what if Longo is 2-20 against Pettitte? You could argue just as much that he’s due to get a hit, and all of a sudden Joe is a total loon for IBB’ing to get to Longo.

Suck a fat one, Wally. That whole tweet was an Analytic Fail.

• WhittakerWalt says:

And this is still far from the dumbest thing Wally’s said.

• Steve says:

Lou and Cone (I think it was them anyway) agreed and said as much for about a minute during Longo’s at bat

• WhittakerWalt says:

Coney agreed with that? That’s disappointing. I’d like to go on the record as saying NO ONE should be walked to get to Evan Longoria. I don’t care what his record might be against a certain pitcher, he’s terrifying.

• Steve says:

I had the game on in the background while I was doing some work so I wasn’t paying super close attention but I think it was those two.

• Mike Axisa says:

I wouldn’t walk the bases loaded at all in that situation unless a pitcher was due to bat next. You leave yourself with no margin for error. Can’t even pitch inside really because a hit-by-pitch equals a run.

• MickeyP says:

Let me first say I agree with the call. But, I do not agree with the idea never intentionally load the bases for fear of a a HBP or PB/WP. What is the percentage of this happening? Most likely there’s a capable pitcher on the mound. Managers are too tentative in baseball today.

9. Pat D says:

While we’re all assigning blame, I would like to go ahead and submit that I am to blame. After all, I made this comment last night:

So long as Mr. Cobb doesn’t try to put the Yankees to sleep and try any of his extraction nonsense on them.

Clearly the Yankees were sleep-walking through this game after Cobb successfully extracted or incepted them. Either way. He may have extracted their knowledge of how to hit or incepted them by implanting the idea that they had no chance against him.

So I will take the blame for this one.

• Bob Buttons says:

I blame Cashman. He didn’t draft him in the 3rd round in 2006. Cobb was picked in the fourth. We picked IPK (1), Joba (1s) and Zach McAllister(3) instead.

#CashmanFailed

• Dalek Jeter says:

I blame Cobb too, if he hadn’t forced Ariadne to tell him the secret entrance into the ice fortress Mal would have never gotten…wait I mean something about how this is Joe Girardi’s fault and he should’ve IBB’d Sean Rodriguez.

• Pat D says:

Damn that Cobb. Always doing things he tells other people not to do.

• nsalem says:

nice opening day 2012 first inning reference.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

IBBing Sean Rodriguez shall live forever. I fully intend for my son to tell his child someday about it, expletives included.

• Nsalem says:

I don’t disagree with Girardis IBB decision last year. Carlos OPS last year was.about .650 and his ops with rips was.598. In the majority of instances it would have worked out well. The grand slam was about a 30 to 1 type of probability. I know I’m in the fringe minority with that opinion.

10. WhittakerWalt says:

My dark horse contender for Brennan Boesch’s nickname:

“B.B.”

11. LarryM Fl says:

The whole team is at fault in respect to the loss. Andy allowed 3 runs. True it should have been 2 runs. I believe even Molina whith the piano on his back could have scored with the Zorbist single. Unfortunately the All Star lineup which is on the DL might have scored more runs than 3 against Cobb. This young man knows how to pitch.

When Youklis and Wells are out of the lineup. We are severely limited in our offensive punch. But I was impressed with Andy and St. Phillip. Not so much with CC as I watched in person a horrific first inning, again.

12. Anderson Silva says:

I was really bummed out at Cano’s last AB. He worked the count to 3-1 and then got himself out swinging at pitches way off the plate. Very weak stuff from one of the top-3 hitters in the league.

13. neaks says:

To be fair to Pettitte, he didn’t really hit Molina. See pic: https://twitter.com/mattymatty2000/status/327219058925780992