Apr

Mason Williams arrested on misdemeanor DUI charge

12:09pm: The police said Williams showed “clues of impairment” and was driving 50-53 mph in a 40 mph zone according to Mark Feinsand.

12:00pm: Via Greg Auman: Top outfield prospect Mason Williams was arrested in Tampa early Thursday morning on a misdemeanor DUI charge. He was pulled over after weaving and speeding at 2:45am, then he failed a field sobriety test. His blood alcohol level was under the 0.08 threshold in Florida, however.

Williams, 21, is hitting .271/.400/.371 (130 wRC+) in 18 games for High-A Tampa so far this year. He missed the second half of last season after having surgery to repair a shoulder injury suffered while diving for a ball. I ranked him as the team’s second best prospect a few weeks ago, but Baseball America had him in the top spot. Don’t drink and drive, kids.

Categories : Asides

1. Cool Lester Smooth says:

So, I guess the question is whether he was high too, or if he’s just a lightweight.

2. TomG says:

Wait a minute, he wasn’t drunk, and he’s regularly tested for other intoxicants. Sounds like BS to me.

• Mister D says:

DWB?

• Travis L. says:

Quit with that.

• Mister D says:

You’re 6’8, 275, so I’m just going to concede right now.

Seriously, I’m not implying all cops are bad or racist or anything like that, most are great (and from the posts here you seem like you’re on the far left of the ol’ bell curve in that regard). However, at 0.06, you have to atleast consider another factor versus “if he was arrested, the cop must be right”. Yes, he may have been impaired. Or he may have been a dick. Or the cop may have refused to be wrong. Or the cop may have honestly been wrong. Any of those possible.

(Also, this isn’t blind Yankee backing, if he were 0.12 or something I’m bashing him right now, but 0.06 is like a beer with dinner, isn’t it?)

(Also, also, just because I’ve always wanted to be the guy who says this versus the guy who mocks the guy who says this: One of my best friends is a cop. Therefore, whatever I say is ok.)

• Travis L. says:

Agreed, it could be anything. Maybe the cop wanted to arrest a NYY prospect. Maybe Mason told him that he was a NYY prospect, thinking he would get out of it. Who knows. I just hope it was all done correctly without any bias on the cops part and that Mason learns what he did wrong and doesnt repeat it.

• Mister D says:

… unless Mason didn’t do anything wrong.

Tack that on to the end and we’re in total agreement.

• Havok9120 says:

If you’re going better than a quarter-again the speed limit while swerving then, hey, guess what, you already broke the law. Getting arrested for it…well, we’ll see what that’s about.

• Mike says:

he was speeding…got pulled over….smelled like alcohol or looked buzzed…..cops do field sobriety test…he fails…..call a lawyer.

even if the speeding is BS, bottom line he has to be smarter than this

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah, .06 is a beer an hour.

• Travis L. says:

He could have been drunk. The actually number truly doesnt mean a whole lot.

3. Luis Castillo (Not the one who dropped the ball) says:

Go Mason drinking on a Wednesday! Yankees should learn that even when all the “make-up” stuff they consider when drafting, people like alcohol.
    On the other hand the DUI, not cool. I don’t get why they don’t just call a flippin’ taxi.

4. Pinkie Pie says:

I drive 50 in 40 mph zones all the time! But not while drunk….

• Travis L. says:

It depends on Mason…if he is a light-weight, then a .06 would be pretty impairing on him. Someone my size (6’8″, 275lbs) could drink to a .10 and be just getting impaired. Thats why they say not to drink and drive at all. You may feel fine, but be impaired as per the limit.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I mean, I’m Mason’s age and shorter and skinnier than he is, but .06 is not quite buzzed for me.

• hogsmog says:

Ehh, that’s not really how it works. Just because you’re bigger doesn’t mean you can withstand a larger BAC, it means that you have more blood, so a given amount of booze results in a smaller BAC for you than an average person. There are some other factors, for sure, but a smaller person with a BAC of .10 could be just as drunk, or less drunk, than you with the same %.

• Meals says:

Why wasn’t this simply a speeding ticket?
      Seems all he did wrong was go 13 mph over the limit.

He’s now got a DUI on his record when he was “legally” intoxicated.

• Meals says:

I meant wasN’T leagally intoxicated

• Voice of Reason says:

Well he doesn’t have it on his record, he’s just been charged with it, and given that his BAC was below the threshold I’d assume it’s extremely unlikely that he’ll be convicted.

• Preston says:

He failed the field sobriety test. Official BAC testing is usually done at the station or a DUI checkpoint. He failed the test, they brought him in and then he blew under .08. He might have blown under at the scene too. But those aren’t official readings. They can’t just turn him loose after he appeared impaired when doing the tests because sometimes finicky field equipment said he was under .08. They have to take him in.

5. Travis L. says:

I’m a police officer. Everyone is different, but most cases, someone who blows under the legal limit isnt arrested unless other “impairments” are present. If he had the odor of marijuana or they thought there were other substances involved (other than alcohol) then a blood test (with consent or search warrant) is usually done. Of course this is NC law, and not FL law (which is where he was). I’m sure he will get a good attorney who will argue that .06 isnt illegal (and its not, that’s why they have the limit at .08) and that he was being a careless driver.

Also, here in NC, its hard to get a conviction for someone under .08. Here’s hoping that this doesnt slow down his development baseball wise and he learns his lesson.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

Dumbassness.

Do the “time.” Learn your lesson. Pick yourself up and get back to being a Yankee.

7. MannyGeee says:

I posted this elsewhere… you can call me an asshole here or there if you’d like.

• Travis L. says:

I wouldnt call you an asshole…just have to remember that two drinks to someone like you or me isnt much, but if Mason had those two with no food, or if he cant handle his liquor, then that would make him fairly impaired. The number is that…just a number. His behavior and the way he was driving is the indicator of whether he was impaired or not.

• Luis Castillo (Not the one who dropped the ball) says:

I’ll repeat it; you drink and feel dizzy CALL a TAXI, it can save you for a lot of trouble. I actually was put in jail (for 24 hrs) once for DUI, nothing serious happened but it was so embarrasing that I never drive drunk anymore. Mason will learn if hes smart enough.

• Travis L. says:

I’m with you on that. If I go out to eat, I have ONE with dinner and I’m done. And I’m 6’8 and 275. I could have more, but I’m not risking my job or life for it.

• Gonzo says:

What if was jamming to Prince and driving that way because of the tunes?

• Travis L. says:

With no alcohol on your breath, you’d probably get pulled just for being a reckless driver. Add in the fact that you are jamming to Prince and you’d be arrested.

• Gonzo says:

Damn, Prince is a musical genius. Does this mean I can never go back to NC?

• Travis L. says:

Just do 9 over the speed limit and keep the music down!

• Gonzo says:

BTW, loved Boone and Wilmington. Really disappointed in Fayetteville but I only visit a friend there. Sucks more for him.

I also enjoy the vinegar-y BBQ in NC.

• Travis L. says:

Fayette-nam (pronounced like the “nam” in Vietnam)is terrible. Crazy folks there! Wilmington is awesome! Never been to the mountains in Boone…Mt Airy is nice though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Asshole.

@wellyousaidwecould

• Bavarian Yankee says:

I mean yeah, he was under the limit but when you drink you really don’t know if you’re still under the limit. Be smart, call a cab and don’t drive home by yourself -> problem solved. If you’re drinking you shouldn’t drive anyway imo, no matter if it’s 1 beer or 10.

8. jsbrendog says:

i’m sorry, he was under the legal limit. nothing to see here.

• Mike HC says:

This was my reaction. He was also going only 10 mph above the speed limit, which is normal.

• YankeesJunkie says:

True fact. People can also be fine at .10 but the law takes you to jail for that.

• Travis L. says:

This. Although, I’d put “fine” in quotes. Had a guy once that passed the physical sobriety tests, but had pissed all over himself, couldnt speak without a slur and couldnt put the vehicle in park. He blew a .19, but like I said, he passed the tests. Walking in a straight line, finger to nose, stand on one foot…all of them. Would you have said a guy who could do that stuff, but pissed himself, talked like that and couldnt figure out how to shift the vehicle into park was impaired? Everyone is different and has different tolerances. Without us being there, we dont know what Mason was like and what signs of impairment he was showing.

9. Gonzo says:

I know it’s .08 almost everywhere now, but wasn’t the limit in NY once .10? I thought it was that when I was growing up maybe even more. Am I crazy?

• dc1874 says:

NY is .8 and above for INTOX /. 6 and .7 is considered IMPAIRED.

• Gonzo says:

Yeah, but I’m talking back in the 80′s and 90′s. I feel like it was higher back then.

• The Real Me says:

Absolutely was at .10 in NY once upon a time. I don’t recall when it was changed.

Note: I have never been tested with either filed sobriety tests or a breathalizer. I must admit, however, that there were several times (when I was much younger) that I should not have been driving. Fortunately, nothing happend to me, anyone else, or anyone’s pets or property on those occasions.

• Preston says:

I think it used to be .15 in AZ, which is insane. Now it’s .08, but you can be arrested for impaired at anything over .04 if they have any evidence that you were impaired (which basically means if you swerved before getting pulled over, or had a single mis-step in the field sobriety test you’re done).

• Gonzo says:

Thanks man. At least I know I’m not insane. Well maybe I am but this isn’t evidence of it.

10. The Oberamtmann says:

It was three in the morning. Couldn’t his impairment have been due to tiredness or fatigue? I know I’m tired at 3 AM. Just an idea why he was driving recklessly without assuming he is a lightweight.

If I was under the legal limit I would assume I could drive. Exhaustion is, here, I think, a legitimate concern. In that case, couldn’t he argue reckless driving over a DUI?

• Travis L. says:

Absolutely and I have no doubt that will happen. He just needs to be more careful in the future. He has a great opportunity here, to become something most ball players only dream of…no sense throwing it away over dumb things like this.

11. Drew says:

As the resident DUI expert, if he blew under a .08 but at least .05 that is grounds for arrest, but at that point he is charged with a DUAI which is a traffic violation, nothing more. If he has no prior criminal activities or arrest, the charges will likely be dropped completely.

12. thenamestsam says:

.06 isn’t very extreme, but it’s possible that even at that level his driving was a danger to others. I’m glad no one was hurt and hopefully Mason will be even more cautious next time. Seriously, I know calling a cab can be a pain in the ass, but getting hauled off to jail is definitely worse.

13. mick taylor says:

he cannot be guilty of the crime of dui. the most he can be convicted of is a violation offense .

14. Bob Lorenz says:

His problem was driving. He should have just stopped the car and took at nap the nearest light.

15. Cool Lester Smooth says:

I gotta think he was a dick to the cop who pulled him over and pulled some “do you know who I am” shit. Blowing a .06 doesn’t merit a night in jail.

16. dc1874 says:

Is he 21 years old yet?? If not they might be going after the zero tolerance law for under 21…

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

As a professional athelete in line to make an utter shitload of money, if all things go right, I think it’s reasonable to say he should be doing everything within his power not to have cuffs put on him.

I also think while “person of color” and “Florida” bring up all sorts of images and ideas, and there are much larger discussions we can have which go waaaaaaay beyond what this place can handle, not every instance in which a person of color is arrested is racial profiling, quotas, etc.

In the end, again, learn your lesson, get a ride next time, thank God you didn’t hurt anyone, and get back on that field.

18. LarryM Fl says:

Mason Williams had more than a beer. If you assume 1oz. of alcohol usually means .02 when tested. Mason has 4 beers in 3 hours you would think .08 but the body/kidneys can process 1 oz. per hour. So you can see he had more than a few drinks. Now take in the consideration the time after a game or he did play that night.

The cop was doing his job. Taking a drunk off the street before he kills himself or others. I do not know if FL has the driving while impaired law but if it does. He may have been ticketed for impairment and a violation.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

He wasn’t drunk, though. He blew a .06.

Honestly, teetotalers excluded, there are two types of people in the world: People who hav driven home with a .06 BAC, and people who lie about it.

19. bkight13 says:

In MD you have to take the Breath Test, but NEVER take the Field Tests. They are designed to trip you up and the officer is watching for other things than what the test includes. Be polite, but know your rights.

20. Brian S. says:

He should have joined a fraternity. He would have been able to handle his intoxication better.

21. Mason Williams BAC says:

I’ve blown worse some mornings

22. tyrone sharpton says:

a real man should teach this kid a lesson. either build up the stamina or don’t listen to “have one for the road”

23. trevor howard says:

A friend of Williams’ family told me that Mason was back home in his apartment that night when a teammate called, needing a lift home. So Mason got back in his car after having a few beers and went to pick up his friend. Probably not a smart move on his part but you do things for your friends and teammates sometimes out of loyalty.

It has been a disappointing season for Williams but he has raised his average 25 points in the last month and pushed his OPS back over .700. If he finishes strong, he goes up to Trenton next year, which is normal progress for a 21-year-old. Not spectacular, which we hoped for, but normal.